Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:The problem is that people ignore his history and expect him to finish every time. Every dipper fan I spoke to when he signed said "he'll frustrate you." If I got that then surely you guys would have got double at least.

There's one thing worse than a forward missing chances. A forward not getting chances. His 1 in 3 strike rate is better than any 0 chances rate.

i'd wager that he converts a higher % of chances than aguero and jesus.

Based on shots in Premier League so far this season you're right

Sterling 18 shots 5 goals - 1 every 3.6 shots
Aguero 23 shots 6 goals - 1 every 3.83 shots
Jesus 15 shots 4 goals - 1 every 3.75 shots

Sterling however is behind them in terms of shots on target 38.9% shots on target

Aguero 43.5%

Jesus 46.7%

All stats courtesy of Washington Post.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Funny enough on the Man City Show podcast (rarely listen to, but had a new show today) and sadly I heard all of things you hear regarding buying into the cliches writing him off saying Sterling's not at the level of the rest of the attacking players in the squad, with a fairly backhanded compliment:

"He's not totally useless."

"Yes, not totally."

"Sterling, I am one of those who knocks him. I don't think he's good enough, technically or I don't think he has a football brain. He gets into positions..."

Another went on...

"I think he's the odd one out. I spoke to a friend of mine who's a Watford fan and he just said that City were the best team he's ever seen in his life...but Sterling stands out like a sore thumb...in this team of great talent."

"He's going to get positions because of the great pace and going to get a lot of chances because of the quality of those around him. Can he just take enough of them to keep it going."

One did defend him saying Sterling's "improved hugely" referring to the goals scored already and pass he made to Bernardo that he then ran to receive and score from saying he'd "never have done that last season."

The host said he's improved but called him "the odd one out" and asked if they would give him up to get Sanchez and one said, "Yes." arguing he doesn't think he's good enough for us, and the host agreed and never understood why we bought him in the first place. She challenged him back about the 7 year age difference, and the person still stood their ground. Another said "We all expected him to miss that open goal didn't we."

One tried to give him some credit, but that was a shocking review of so-called City fans of his game right now.

According to their logic, guess if we swapped him for Scott Sinclair he'd do just as well.

Sterling's football IQ is far higher than Sinclair and it's not even close.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Sadly we had this before with Lescott.

Lescott's performances were generally excellent for us and he formed one half of a formidable partnership for us. In the 2011/12 season he was undoubtedly our star centre back on a week-in-week-out basis, although admittedly Kompany did finish the season strongly.

It's only since we've attempted to replace Lescott that it's clear how good he was for many City fans as we've only generally had useless centre backs since then.

Sterling constantly assists and scores. But seemingly not good enough for many.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I'll happily chin any cunt I hear giving him stick at the match.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 pm

PrezIke wrote:Funny enough on the Man City Show podcast (rarely listen to, but had a new show today) and sadly I heard all of things you hear regarding buying into the cliches writing him off saying Sterling's not at the level of the rest of the attacking players in the squad, with a fairly backhanded compliment:

"He's not totally useless."

"Yes, not totally."

"Sterling, I am one of those who knocks him. I don't think he's good enough, technically or I don't think he has a football brain. He gets into positions..."

Another went on...

"I think he's the odd one out. I spoke to a friend of mine who's a Watford fan and he just said that City were the best team he's ever seen in his life...but Sterling stands out like a sore thumb...in this team of great talent."

"He's going to get positions because of the great pace and going to get a lot of chances because of the quality of those around him. Can he just take enough of them to keep it going."

One did defend him saying Sterling's "improved hugely" referring to the goals scored already and pass he made to Bernardo that he then ran to receive and score from saying he'd "never have done that last season."

The host said he's improved but called him "the odd one out" and asked if they would give him up to get Sanchez and one said, "Yes." arguing he doesn't think he's good enough for us, and the host agreed and never understood why we bought him in the first place. She challenged him back about the 7 year age difference, and the person still stood their ground. Another said "We all expected him to miss that open goal didn't we."

One tried to give him some credit, but that was a shocking review of so-called City fans of his game right now.

According to their logic, guess if we swapped him for Scott Sinclair he'd do just as well.

Sterling's football IQ is far higher than Sinclair and it's not even close.

And they're not City fans btw. They're just gobshite bellends that got a degree in media production and now think they're top shaggers because they've got some shitty podcast and film themselves in the crowd for VLogs. Mincers.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Haha at the above.

Fuck anybody that slags sterling it's getting a joke now. Thankfully the majority back him and we saw this with the bollocks arsenal rumours.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Don't see how anyone can slag him this season. He's most improved.
Yes, he makes mistakes, but they all do.
Unfair to single him out for his.
He's producing the goods.

In another thread somewhere, someone asked how many Sergio would score.

I answered that I'd like at least four of ours to score over 20 in the league.

Well with Raheem and Sane pitching in at the moment it is s real possibility.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
dazby wrote:The problem is that people ignore his history and expect him to finish every time. Every dipper fan I spoke to when he signed said "he'll frustrate you." If I got that then surely you guys would have got double at least.

There's one thing worse than a forward missing chances. A forward not getting chances. His 1 in 3 strike rate is better than any 0 chances rate.

Sterling however is behind them in terms of shots on target 38.9% shots on target

Aguero 43.5%

Jesus 46.7%

nice one. thanks for that.
to add to this point, loads of the chances he misses are when he has just sprinted 20/30 yards into the box at breakneck speed.
he's top of the league btw
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby mr_nool » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Aguero 43.5%

Jesus 46.7%

nice one. thanks for that.
to add to this point, loads of the chances he misses are when he has just sprinted 20/30 yards into the box at breakneck speed.
he's top of the league btw

Exactly. Getting your foot in the right angle to get a bullet-speed cross on goal while running at full pelt with a defender pulling your shirt or giving you a push is NOT a tap-in.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:23 pm

very good point Nige.
great post!

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 pm

The thing about it is, just because someone doesn't think Sterling is World Class doesn't mean they are going to go slagging him off. It is merely pointing out areas of play he needs to improve or maybe they have formed the opinion that he will never improve, fair enough - their opinion.

He frustrates me hugely in games because he misses some simple chances - even his goal on Tuesday night went in off the bar. A goal where he had stopped and set himself, the ball rolled back to him perfectly, 12 yards out, open goal and he thumps it off the underside of the bar. When he breaks through on goal or if he is free inside the box with the ball coming in towards him, i am genuinely more surprised if he scores. With Aguero (except last season), Jesus, Sane, KDB, Gundogan in the same position i am expecting them to score but for whatever reason i don't have the same confidence with Sterling.

The one thing about Sterling though is, he always seems to get clear cut chances in a game that our other forwards just don't seem to get. Whether that is because of his movement or what i don't know but it is something that he should be credited for.

Its alright in the games where we are winning 4-0, 5-0 but in the tight games against title rivals (like this weekend), we need our strikers to put away the one chance they get. I don't think Sterling can be that go to guy.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:The thing about it is, just because someone doesn't think Sterling is World Class doesn't mean they are going to go slagging him off. It is merely pointing out areas of play he needs to improve or maybe they have formed the opinion that he will never improve, fair enough - their opinion.

He frustrates me hugely in games because he misses some simple chances - even his goal on Tuesday night went in off the bar. A goal where he had stopped and set himself, the ball rolled back to him perfectly, 12 yards out, open goal and he thumps it off the underside of the bar. When he breaks through on goal or if he is free inside the box with the ball coming in towards him, i am genuinely more surprised if he scores. With Aguero (except last season), Jesus, Sane, KDB, Gundogan in the same position i am expecting them to score but for whatever reason i don't have the same confidence with Sterling.

The one thing about Sterling though is, he always seems to get clear cut chances in a game that our other forwards just don't seem to get. Whether that is because of his movement or what i don't know but it is something that he should be credited for.

Its alright in the games where we are winning 4-0, 5-0 but in the tight games against title rivals (like this weekend), we need our strikers to put away the one chance they get. I don't think Sterling can be that go to guy.

good post, mate.
I think there are no slaggers [haters to use the slang of a more confrontational past] of Raheem, more about banter at each other, imho.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby mr_nool » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:39 pm

I love Raheem, but Hazard got this imitation spot on :D :D :D :

Watch on youtube.com
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby freshie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:The thing about it is, just because someone doesn't think Sterling is World Class doesn't mean they are going to go slagging him off. It is merely pointing out areas of play he needs to improve or maybe they have formed the opinion that he will never improve, fair enough - their opinion.

Are you seriously moaning that his shot went in off the underside of the bar?! Who gives a shit - the ball went in the back of the net. End of

He's the second highest goalscorer in the league and has played far fewer minutes than those around him. Some people are never happy. Let's try supporting the lad as he always gives his all for us and shows a mental toughness that I doubt many on here possess
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Sergio and Jesus miss sitters but nobody complains about them. I'm sick of it
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 pm

freshie wrote:Sergio and Jesus miss sitters but nobody complains about them. I'm sick of it

Nobody complains? Are you sure.
There are loads complaining about everyone.
There's even some stupid cunts giving out about Ederson recently.
Silva even gets it from the thicker variety.
It's all there in writing, plain to see.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby freshie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 pm

sheblue wrote:
freshie wrote:Sergio and Jesus miss sitters but nobody complains about them. I'm sick of it

There's even some stupid cunts giving out about Ederson recently.

There are nowhere near as many complaints about those 2 as there are for sterling and especially not at the Etihad - the criticism Sterling gets is way overboard
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby freshie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Plus there are too many fans who are never happy unless they're moaning. I put it down to years of watching players of lesser ability than the current squad and moaning is just a default setting
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby freshie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 pm

sheblue wrote:

There's even somestupid cunts giving out about Ederson recently.

Ederson? On this forum? Well in that case the highlighted words say it all
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 pm

I get the frustration, it seems to me when he's too much time to think he tends to mess up but many fail to acknowledge the positives, which for me far outweigh the negatives.

In regards your last paragraph, he has won us four points with crucial goals so far this season. As for doing it against title rivals, he was denied two stonewall penalties against Liverpool and Spurs last season and not a title rival but scored the winner against Arsenal at home too.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum