Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby nottsblue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:15 am

Lyon had set the bar high after beating Juventus in the previous round.

Sadly it was still too low for Razzer
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:10 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:After a night's sleep on it, I'm still livid. We elevated him to the level of KDB in this squad and he gets game time no matter how shit he is. He gets moved into poaitions ahead of Sane, Mahrez and Bernado. When Aubameyang was leaving Germany, Pep was heavily linked. I wasn't sure about him at the time but he is exactly what we need. A proper striker who can play anywhere across a front 3.

Imagine starting last night with Auba, Sane and a proper £100 mill striker that we would have got for Sterling a year or 2 ago.

Sterling needs only one simple thing. Give up on football.
Do something else chap, it is not for you.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby littlebig » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:20 am

Bloody hell lads. Raheem is one of our best players. Granted he’s sometimes appalling but he was good last night (apart from big miss).

Not Raheem’s fault we were embarrassed last nigjy
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby sheblue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:06 pm

I dont blame him one bit.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby CTID Hants » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:That horrendous miss aside he was probably our best player over the 90 last night.

Agreed, despite having two sometimes three oppo players constantly marking him
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:10 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:That horrendous miss aside he was probably our best player over the 90 last night.

Kev was MOTM last night.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Mase wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

Kev was MOTM last night.

Yep but didn't really get going until the formation change, Sterling was our only threat up to that point.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:23 pm

PeterParker wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:After a night's sleep on it, I'm still livid. We elevated him to the level of KDB in this squad and he gets game time no matter how shit he is. He gets moved into poaitions ahead of Sane, Mahrez and Bernado. When Aubameyang was leaving Germany, Pep was heavily linked. I wasn't sure about him at the time but he is exactly what we need. A proper striker who can play anywhere across a front 3.

Imagine starting last night with Auba, Sane and a proper £100 mill striker that we would have got for Sterling a year or 2 ago.

Our top scorer this season and the highest scoring English player this season, all competitions.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Sterling is a very talented player. He gets in a position to score so often. Occasionally he misses absolute sitters. Infuriating but I certainly wouldn’t get rid of him. Yesterday he provided the assist for Kevin with a great run to the by line and cut back.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby salford city » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:38 pm

blues2win wrote:Sterling is a very talented player. He gets in a position to score so often. Occasionally he misses absolute sitters. Infuriating but I certainly wouldn’t get rid of him. Yesterday he provided the assist for Kevin with a great run to the by line and cut back.

Agree with this up to a point that says if an offer of silly money was to come in, I would let him go. I would not say the same for Kev or Bernie the latter of whom lost his mojo after the conguitos fiasco
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Our top scorer this season and the highest scoring English player this season, all competitions.

I swear, every time I will hear this about the fact he is a top scorer I will put this gif.
here is your top scorer. The fella who almost missed another sitter with Madrid also, thank fuck Militao didn't take that out also.

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:53 pm

There's no excusing that, it was horrendously shit but I'm not going to base my opinion of his worth on one incident
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:There's no excusing that, it was horrendously shit but I'm not going to base my opinion of his worth on one incident

There are at least 10 more like that, mate.
As FA cup winners 2006 pointed out, simple, he has no football brain.
He doesn't the balls to be world class and the mentality. We are kidding ourselves and hope he might be more than a squad player, but the facts are there. More than Half of the finishing thread is about him.

I said it. The worst thing in the world is to have a scenarios where you have a chance to win it all, but Raheem must score it.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:59 pm

He’s needed to see a therapist for a few years now. But I’d keep him. He just needs to sort his head out on the big occasion.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:00 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:There's no excusing that, it was horrendously shit but I'm not going to base my opinion of his worth on one incident

He doesn't the balls to be world class and the mentality. We are kidding ourselves and hope he might be more than a squad player, but the facts are there. More than Half of the finishing thread is about him.

I said it. The worst thing in the world is to have a scenarios where you have a chance to win it all, but Raheem must score it.

So you're just going to ignore everything else and base your opinion solely on his finishing?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm

PeterParker wrote:

So you're just going to ignore everything else and base your opinion solely on his finishing?

What's Raheem ability? Except speed.
My opinion is based on his overall capacity. In many moments he has the ball he looks like a deer in front of multiple headlights in a crowded highway.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Outcast » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pm

For someone on 300k a week he should have finished that chance, it was a simple tap in FFS. However Jesus pathetic attempt was a close one. Had Aguero played, despite our shite formation, we could have scraped past. We will need a top notch striker, Jesus isn't the answer.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby blues2win » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:52 pm

What’s his talent? Not just speed which is important but goals and assists. Plenty of them. We need more pace in the side not less.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:03 pm

PeterParker wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

What's Raheem ability? Except speed.
My opinion is based on his overall capacity. In many moments he has the ball he looks like a deer in front of multiple headlights in a crowded highway.

He is a far better player than just being a pace merchant like Theo Walcott or Agbonlahor. Why do you think that someone like Mahrez rarely misses sitters? Because he is never in that sort of position in the first place. Have you forgotten the late winners he got against Bournemouth, Southampton and the super goals he scored against the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, Shakhtar?

Let's be honest. Every player has flaws. Apart from the truly best of the best like Messi, most players will have some deficiency in their games. Take Salah for example, he is extraordinarily selfish and wastes around 3-4 chances every game as well, often shooting from ridiculous positions. Do you think anyone calls him just a pace merchant? Or firmino who literally scored 1 goal at Klanfield all season? When we had Dzeko, we mocked him for not being clinical as well as being a donkey on the ball.

Sterling has good movement and actually gets into good positions unlike many players who are invisible. He works hard, presses the ball well and is not selfish. He is rarely injured. He is a good influence off the pitch. Yes he has a flaw - that he is wasteful and streaky. The real solution is to pair him with someone clinical like Aguero, Haland, Lewandowski and a goalscoring right winger. Goals should come from all 3 of our front liners so if one has a bad game the other 2 can step up. Unfortunately, Jesus is not that player it seems. Mahrez also doesn't contribute enough goals either.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes he has the ability to get into the right position, but;

He is one of the worst finishers I have ever seen,
He bottles it big time,
He rarely takes on a player anymore and checks back more often than not,
He does not hold the ball up,
He can't play in tight spaces,
He can't bring in other players,
He doesn't chase back and close down,

So other than been a speed merchant what else is he good at. Been in the right place is a skill but fuck all use if you can't finish. He gets it played on a plate and Christy Fucking Brown would score goals in this team if giving the game time Sterling is given (although Christy might be caught offside more often)
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum