Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby mr_nool » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Image
Razzer should be worried


Sanchez's attitude today was shocking. He was great at the ball, but totally uninterested when we were in possession. I'd be livid if i were an Arsenal fan - it was unacceptable.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
User avatar
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Roberto Mancini's Scarf
 
Posts: 20594
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Utrecht

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:26 am

mr_nool wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Image
Razzer should be worried


Sanchez's attitude today was shocking. He was great at the ball, but totally uninterested when we were in possession. I'd be livid if i were an Arsenal fan - it was unacceptable.


was that the same sanchez who was chasing down the ball in the fullback position in the dying minutes of the game?
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11066
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

Fuck Sanchez, another brat
Nick
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5945
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: MANCHESTER

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby mr_nool » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Image
Razzer should be worried


Sanchez's attitude today was shocking. He was great at the ball, but totally uninterested when we were in possession. I'd be livid if i were an Arsenal fan - it was unacceptable.


was that the same sanchez who was chasing down the ball in the fullback position in the dying minutes of the game?


One swallow doesn't make a summer. He was stood in the middle of the park, gesticulating towards his team mate for misplacing a pass while Yaya was walking past him with the ball on more than one occassion.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
User avatar
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Roberto Mancini's Scarf
 
Posts: 20594
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Utrecht

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Football365 wrote:For the record, Walcott failed to create a single chance, completed three passes in the City half and had 22 touches of the ball playing wide right. Playing wide left, Sanchez had 83 touches of the ball, created two chances and won possession more times than any other player on the pitch. Game of opinions, and all that.


Not bad from lazy sanchez....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6640
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 am
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:21 am

I've been wanting to post something about Sterling for a while but at the same time I find it hard to criticize a player that gets so much stick from the media. And I don't know if I'm correct either so I guess this is me testing if I'm just seeing things wrongly or if there's a bit of truth in there. Here goes.

On the one hand, the guy's got 6 goals and 11 assists this year in the premier league alone. Really good.

But on the other hand, I find myself so frustrated by his decision making. He commits errors in dribbling, passing and loses us the ball in vital points of the attack. The last 10 games or so it's come to the point where I expect us to lose the ball when he gets it unless he makes a safe pass and not even then. I think I remember him scoring fairly recently so it's not like he's completely unproductive but I just feel that his contribution to the Derby sums his problems up, he's extremely sloppy. Is anyone else noticing this or is it just me who's become obsessed and amplifies his errors above others'? And although he brings us width I still think (but I don't know) that Navas gets the ball into the penalty area more often than Sterling.

Thoughts? Mental advice?
User avatar
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Umeå
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 am

He's been one of our better players this year and can hold his head high at the end of the season.

He's had a far better season than Sanè but for some reason Sanè has more good reviews.
Last edited by Mase on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Mase
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15053
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am

Mase wrote:He's been one of our better players this year and can hold his head high at the end of the season.

He's had a far better season than Sanè but for some reason Sanè has more God reviews.


It's weird, isn't it?

That said Sterling has gone off the boil recently but some of the things I see him getting called out for Sané is just as guilty of.

The rags did a good job of denying both space, Jose knew if he can box the two of them in then he was nullifying our main threat and this is why Pep was bemoaning the lack of younger full backs, as the space the rags left behind could've been exploited by pacy full backs.
Foreverinbluedreams
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43 am

Mase wrote:He's been one of our better players this year and can hold his head high at the end of the season.

He's had a far better season than Sanè but for some reason Sanè has more God reviews.


could compare him with kdb as well....

all of them consistently inconsistent
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11066
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 am

Razzer has been much better this season but he still repeatedly loses possession. Pep has left him out recently and I assume that's because possession is everything to Pep.
South Stand Balti
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby zabbadabbado » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:57 am

Never rated him tbh.

I don’t get on his back, because more often, than not, he puts a shift in for us, he at least tries. He can’t shoot for toffee,he runs in to blind allies, is easily pushed off the Ball. We give him more leeway because he is still a young player, we hope he will come good, he still might to be fair. I just don’t see it, I don’t think Guardiola rates him that much either. Just my opinion.

Sane on the other hand is natural talent, you can see his quality. He is another than is still very young. The problem with him is, sometimes he thinks he is above the Donkey work, tracking back etc. I am sure though he has a long future with us,and he will become a better all round player with age maturity. Sterling on the other hand I am not so sure about.
Last edited by zabbadabbado on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zabbadabbado
Balotelli's Fireworks Party
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm
Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: zabletta

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:Never rated him tbh.

I don’t get on his back because more often than not, he puts a shift in for us, he at least tries. He can’t shoot for toffee, more than often than not runs in to blind allies, and is easily pushed off the Ball. We give him more leeway because he is still a young player, we hope he will come good, he still might to be fair. I just don’t see it, I don’t think Guardiola rates him that much either. Just my opinion.

Sane on the other hand is natural talent, you can see his quality. He is another than is still very young. The problem with him is, sometimes he thinks he is above the Donkey work, tracking back etc. I am sure though he has a long future with us,and he will become a better all round player with age maturity. Sterling on the other hand I am not so sure about.


Watch on youtube.com
Image
Mase
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15053
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:30 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:Never rated him tbh.

I don’t get on his back because more often than not, he puts a shift in for us, he at least tries. He can’t shoot for toffee, more than often than not runs in to blind allies, and is easily pushed off the Ball. We give him more leeway because he is still a young player, we hope he will come good, he still might to be fair. I just don’t see it, I don’t think Guardiola rates him that much either. Just my opinion.

Sane on the other hand is natural talent, you can see his quality. He is another than is still very young. The problem with him is, sometimes he thinks he is above the Donkey work, tracking back etc. I am sure though he has a long future with us,and he will become a better all round player with age maturity. Sterling on the other hand I am not so sure about.


agree 100%. sane has a much higher ceiling imo.
Sideshow Bob
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4671
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 am
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:40 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:Never rated him tbh.

I don’t get on his back because more often than not, he puts a shift in for us, he at least tries. He can’t shoot for toffee, more than often than not runs in to blind allies, and is easily pushed off the Ball. We give him more leeway because he is still a young player, we hope he will come good, he still might to be fair. I just don’t see it, I don’t think Guardiola rates him that much either. Just my opinion.

Sane on the other hand is natural talent, you can see his quality. He is another than is still very young. The problem with him is, sometimes he thinks he is above the Donkey work, tracking back etc. I am sure though he has a long future with us,and he will become a better all round player with age maturity. Sterling on the other hand I am not so sure about.


agree 100%. sane has a much higher ceiling imo.

I disagree with both of you. Raheem is brave, young, skilful and has exceptional pace. His speed - particularly over the first few yards from a standing start - is a crucial asset that sets him apart.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4282
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Eddy

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:54 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:Never rated him tbh.

I don’t get on his back because more often than not, he puts a shift in for us, he at least tries. He can’t shoot for toffee, more than often than not runs in to blind allies, and is easily pushed off the Ball. We give him more leeway because he is still a young player, we hope he will come good, he still might to be fair. I just don’t see it, I don’t think Guardiola rates him that much either. Just my opinion.

Sane on the other hand is natural talent, you can see his quality. He is another than is still very young. The problem with him is, sometimes he thinks he is above the Donkey work, tracking back etc. I am sure though he has a long future with us,and he will become a better all round player with age maturity. Sterling on the other hand I am not so sure about.


agree 100%. sane has a much higher ceiling imo.

I disagree with both of you. Raheem is brave, young, skilful and has exceptional pace. His speed - particularly over the first few yards from a standing start - is a crucial asset that sets him apart.


I just wish we could see now what Sterling will be like in twelve months time.

With another year on his back, I'd wager he will have developed immeasurably from where he is at present

Hope I'm right as it would benefit us greatly, just as long as he doesn't get 'ruined' and pegged back by training with and playing for England.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7397
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Sterling has had a great season overall.

But he's lost his way recently since he was dropped by Pep for no apparent reason. Since then his form has been patchy.

Compare that to KDB who has been awful since December yet he starts every week. He's someone who needs a few games on the bench and then to ease him back in so we can see his best again.
aaron bond
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3352
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Singapore
Supporter of: City

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby sheblue » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Disappointed with sterling recently. Plenty of endavour but his end product has been awful.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5217
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?


Mark Radcliffe
User avatar
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 40064
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:19 pm
Location: Deep in the pimp game
Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)


Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7397
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)


Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.


Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?


Mark Radcliffe
User avatar
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 40064
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:19 pm
Location: Deep in the pimp game
Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BlueinBosnia, CuteMancs, Foreverinbluedreams, Google [Bot], iwasthere2012, Justified logic, Lev Bronstein, mr_nool, patrickblue, Scatman, ShimmyShaker, Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 46 guests