Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)


Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.


Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.


Interesting post NQDP.

Is this particular concept widespread throughout Europe, or even world-wide, or is it primarily a Spanish/Latin way of thinking ??
Mikhail Chigorin
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)


Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.


Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.


Interesting post NQDP.

Is this particular concept widespread throughout Europe, or even world-wide, or is it primarily a Spanish/Latin way of thinking ??


Because of Spains/Barcelona's success it's all the rage in coaching circles evrywhere. In Spain they start correcting playing stances from as early as six year olds. That and so called arch movement which creates positive playing stance in off the ball movement. You will talk with any professional coach anywhere in the world and these are the two terms coined.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?


Mark Radcliffe
User avatar
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 40064
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:19 pm
Location: Deep in the pimp game
Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)


Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.


Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.


Interesting post NQDP.

Is this particular concept widespread throughout Europe, or even world-wide, or is it primarily a Spanish/Latin way of thinking ??


Because of Spains/Barcelona's success it's all the rage in coaching circles evrywhere. In Spain they start correcting playing stances from as early as six year olds. That and so called arch movement which creates positive playing stance in off the ball movement. You will talk with any professional coach anywhere in the world and these are the two terms coined.


Thanks for that chum.

The next time England are playing, I'll have to break my normal habit of avoiding watching them, just to see the extent that Mr Southgate has taken this concept onboard, as exemplified by his team selection and style of play............Uuugghh, on second thoughts though, I don't think I'll bother :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mikhail Chigorin
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am

Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

UEFA CL Article 49 Yellow and red cards

49.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match
in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or
UEFA Super Cup). In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and
Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending
it to other competitions.
49.02 In case of repeated cautions:
a. before the group stage, a player is suspended for the next competition match
after three cautions in three different matches, as well as after the fifth
caution;
b. from the first match in the group stage, a player is suspended for the next
competition match after three cautions in three different matches, as well as
following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).
49.03 Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward either to
the next stage of the competition or to the UEFA Europa League in the current
season.
49.04 Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on
completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In
addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not
carried forward to the semi-finals.
49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Europa League expire at the end of the season.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 am

johnny crossan wrote:Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Europa League expire at the end of the season.


Doesn't look like it according to this.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10595
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:33 am

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Europa League expire at the end of the season.


Doesn't look like it according to this.

that's what I thought when perusing the twitterings this morning that he was banned - thanks TB :D
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Europa League expire at the end of the season.


Doesn't look like it according to this.

that's what I thought when perusing the twitterings this morning that he was banned - thanks TB :D

We could both be wrong, mate. :lol:
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10595
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:33 am

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Original Dub » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 pm

"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"I don't think there's a more fitting player to take that armband off me. I see a lot of my game in Jordan's game and what I like about him is he's very humble."
They've got Gill, pulling strings in Uefa. They've got the Media creaming their pants all over them and haven't twigged that you actually need a football team.
User avatar
Original Dub
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15777
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Breasts
My favourite player is: Aguero

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby aaron bond » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

Original Dub wrote:"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"I don't think there's a more fitting player to take that armband off me. I see a lot of my game in Jordan's game and what I like about him is he's very humble."


"He's a winner."

Lol
aaron bond
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Singapore
Supporter of: City

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 am

aaron bond wrote:
Original Dub wrote:"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"I don't think there's a more fitting player to take that armband off me. I see a lot of my game in Jordan's game and what I like about him is he's very humble."


"He's a winner."

Lol


Cunty comments by a slippery bitter sour cunt.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4986
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 am

Starts today I hope.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Another goal today. Not the end product yet in terms of finishing and ball control. But he is learning all the time and is getting better all the time
nottsblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11326
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Dameerto, dick dastardley, everyonehatesus, Foreverinbluedreams, gmercer1, Google [Bot], london blue 2, Nigels Tackle, Pretty Boy Lee, sheblue, Slim, Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 62 guests