2011/12 Starting XI - Will we ever be this balanced again?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

2011/12 Starting XI - Will we ever be this balanced again?

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Hart

Richards
Kompany
Lescott
Clichy

De Jong
Barry

Silva
Yaya
Nasri

Aguero

--------------------

Been watching a lot of footage from that glorious season recently. God, were we a machine. Those games at United and Spurs; the entire squad of players seemingly at its peak; options such as Zabs, Kolarov, Richards, (ahem) Johnson, Tevez and Dzeko from the bench.

I wonder how long it will take us to be so ruthlessly fucking good again.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Re: 2011/12 Starting XI - Will we ever be this balanced agai

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:Hart

Zabaleta
Kompany
Lescott
Clichy

De Jong
Barry

Silva
Yaya
Nasri

Aguero

Good question and my own answer is yes we will and I don't think actually we're all that far off it at the moment.

Now that we seem to have 'discovered' that playing in a 4-3-3 formation, with our three exciting youngsters up front, suits us quite nicely, that a back four works better (for us) than a back three and that playing with a reasonably competent 'keeper gives us a chance of stemming any flow of goals against us (and even keeping the odd clean sheet every now and again), we're well on the way to being THE Premier League's great entertainers.

We mainly need to address the defence in the summer; whether it be by transfers in, or from Academy sources and, when we do, we only need a little time to let the whole team bed down into smooth footballing perfection.

Any subsequent purchases, in transfer windows after the next one (another midfielder, another striker or two and perhaps a new goalkeeper), will be icing on top of the cake.

The 2011/12 team was a magnificent side, but that's now in the past but one vital lesson, however, that we must learn from our current travails this season, is to never let our squad all grow old together.

If we do that, we're laughing and in clover.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:45 pm

A brilliant side.

Possibly the finest that's ever worn the old Sky Blue.

That said, can't wait to see what Pep will offer us in a season or two when he has really got to grips with the squad and the rigours of the PL
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby mr_nool » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:47 pm

I love that 2011/12 set up as well. It was a great mix of skill, flair, pace and steel. We could play beautiful, attractive football, but also out muscle opponents and grind out results.

I'm hoping we will find our balance under Pep as well, but it will be a totally different one. We will simply have players of such attacking quality that the same level of steel and defensive stability won't be needed.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby sheblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:48 pm

We're not too far off it again. A few more correct signings in the summer and we're there.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

How many games did Richards start that season?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Mase wrote:How many games did Richards start that season?

No idea, but more than half and more than Zabs, I'd wager.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Mase wrote:How many games did Richards start that season?

No idea, but more than half and more than Zabs, I'd wager.

I've just checked. He did indeed play more than Zabs that season. I always assumed that because Zaba started again QPR he was first choice, but from memory Micah actually had a decent season until he got injured.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 pm

De Jong wasn't a regular starter that season. One of Dzeko or Mario were usually in the XI before Nige. It was him coming off the bench and Yaya pushing toward that was our plan B that worked so well come the final push.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes that was a great side with plenty options. Loved watching Silva, Aguero, Yaya and Nasri. The current back 5 looks a long way off that.........I'm sure the current recruitment team will be able to sort it out.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 am

We're pretty much there offensively, still got work to do defensively.
The first half against Swansea was breathtaking though... I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 am

We had a great squad in 2011/12. Formidable in defence and loads of attacking options. We had a hard team too who wouldn't be messed with (including the manager).

Compared to our current squad, the defence is an absolute mess. We've never come close to replicating the Kompany-Lescott partnership and our full back situation is dire. We need a complete overhaul there but I still have doubts whether we can find the right players to do that. But our attacking options are not far off. Jesus is now giving Aguero the competition he needs and I think another striker would put us close to our 2011/12 options.

But one glaring difference for me is the lack of leaders we have compared to the 2011/12 squad. We had so many possible captains before but now I struggle to select someone. As great as Silva is, I don't think he's a captain and Kolarov should be nowhere near the armband.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby PeterParker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:58 am

That was also maybe the best season Mario ever had.

Huge points he won for us with Everton and Spurs, bot at home. Also I think he scored our first goal at Blackburn when we were 0-0 towards the end and we ended winning 4-0.

Still, that squad did not reach the full potential in Europe, let's not forget that (with a little help from those cunts from UEFA).
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Cocacolajojo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:29 pm

aaron bond wrote:We had a great squad in 2011/12. Formidable in defence and loads of attacking options. We had a hard team too who wouldn't be messed with (including the manager).

Compared to our current squad, the defence is an absolute mess. We've never come close to replicating the Kompany-Lescott partnership and our full back situation is dire. We need a complete overhaul there but I still have doubts whether we can find the right players to do that. But our attacking options are not far off. Jesus is now giving Aguero the competition he needs and I think another striker would put us close to our 2011/12 options.

But one glaring difference for me is the lack of leaders we have compared to the 2011/12 squad. We had so many possible captains before but now I struggle to select someone. As great as Silva is, I don't think he's a captain and Kolarov should be nowhere near the armband.

Agree completely about the lack of leaders and it didn't help we got rid of one in Hart. But don't you think some of the new ones will pick up that role sd time goes by? Stones for example, jesus another one.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm

nottsblue wrote:A brilliant side.

Possibly the finest that's ever worn the old Sky Blue.

That said, can't wait to see what Pep will offer us in a season or two when he has really got to grips with the squad and the rigours of the PL

The first 45 mins away at Tottenham, when Hansen described us as the best team on the planet is the best football I have ever seen Man City play and I'm 55. It was breathtaking....I think we're knocking on the door of that level once again. I would really like Kompany and Stones to start developing a partnership....the master teaching the one with potential !!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Return to The Maine Football forum