Relegation. Who is for the drop?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Relegation. Who is for the drop?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am

nottsblue wrote:Sunderland and now Middlesboro confirmed. Hope Hull are the third. Anyone who appoints Phelan as their manager deserves all they get

Sound reasoning mate, however I want them to beat the drop so the crackhead and Thompson will be made eat their words.

I know it's unlikely but I'd like to see Palace go down.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 14, 2017 11:59 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Sunderland and now Middlesboro confirmed. Hope Hull are the third. Anyone who appoints Phelan as their manager deserves all they get

Sound reasoning mate, however I want them to beat the drop so the crackhead and Thompson will be made eat their words.

Highly unlikely now. Palace 2-0 up v Hull and unless Hull can magic a couple of goals they are down.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 14, 2017 12:58 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Highly unlikely now. Palace 2-0 up v Hull and unless Hull can magic a couple of goals they are down.

Down with a 4-0 drubbing.
nottsblue

Postby johnny crossan » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 am

The east coast was always a barren place and now more so in terms of top flight football as well. The barcodes had better hang in there otherwise there'll be none at all for the first time since 1890.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 am

johnny crossan wrote:The east coast was always a barren place and now more so in terms of top flight football as well. The barcodes had better hang in there otherwise there'll be none at all for the first time since 1890.

You're right about the east coast JC.

Northumberland, in particular, is wild, windswept and dangerous.......and that's just the women there.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 17, 2017 9:47 am

johnny crossan wrote:The east coast was always a barren place and now more so in terms of top flight football as well. The barcodes had better hang in there otherwise there'll be none at all for the first time since 1890.

Is that true that there's always been a north east representative in the top flight since 1890? Surprised at that to be honest
nottsblue

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 am

nottsblue wrote:

Is that true that there's always been a north east representative in the top flight since 1890? Surprised at that to be honest

Not just the north-east - all of the east coast. Sunderland joined the top flight a couple of years after the league was formed and stayed there, being joined by the likes of the Newcastle, Grimsby, Boro. Hull, Ipswich & Norwich later on.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Football ... 14-15.html
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 17, 2017 10:36 am

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Not just the north-east - all of the east coast. Sunderland joined the top flight a couple of years after the league was formed and stayed there, being joined by the likes of the Newcastle, Grimsby, Boro. Hull, Ipswich & Norwich later on.

Thanks for that JC. Very interesting reading the old tables. One thing that leaps out is how much home advantage played back then. I guess the travelling was much more arduous back then and in particular Sunderland had a phenomenal home record in part I guess due to the distance a lot of the teams in the division had to travel to get there.

Noticeable too how very few Southern teams there were back then
nottsblue

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am

nottsblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Thanks for that JC. Very interesting reading the old tables. One thing that leaps out is how much home advantage played back then. I guess the travelling was much more arduous back then and in particular Sunderland had a phenomenal home record in part I guess due to the distance a lot of the teams in the division had to travel to get there.

Noticeable too how very few Southern teams there were back then

Those tables certainly were interesting and I really enjoyed perusing them, so thanks for posting JC.

One slightly amusing aspect, between the years 1900 to 1915, was looking at the teams who were relegated and comparing them with their current standing in the PL :- Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all suffered this 'fate' in this period of time.

City, however, couldn't be outdone in that Department and we were relegated twice.......typical. :roll:

Talking of Sunderland, a little later than this though, in the inter-war period, I seem to recall that they were regarded as being quite wealthy, so much so that I think they were dubbed, at one point, the 'Bank of England Club', although I don't know what the basis of this was.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Just as a sad thought, with regard to east coast teams, I always feel a bit sorry for Berwick Rangers fans.

They're a club in England but all their supporters only have a load of moth-eaten Scottish teams to watch, playing against their own side.

Can't be much fun at all.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bigblue » Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 pm

They voted for Brexit and got PLexit
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 17, 2017 2:02 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Norwich? On the coast?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Norwich? On the coast?

It probably was 800 years ago.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Norwich? On the coast?

Is that why some Norwich folk have webbed feet?
nottsblue

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 3:38 pm

^^^^

Brilliant !!
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Norwich? On the coast?

Nope - it was a major trading town during Anglo-Saxon times, but still inland back then. You'd have to go back pretty deep into prehistory to put Norwich on the coast - well before the settlement was founded.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Wensum body (sorry abouut the pun :roll: ) knows more about a subject than you do, you do a bit of research.

It looks as though it's unlikely Norwich was ever on the coast and that the coastline was a lot further out to sea, especially in Mesolithic times.

Well done to you BiB for correcting a jokey, throw-away line.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:Norwich? On the coast?

Nope - it was a major trading town during Anglo-Saxon times, but still inland back then. You'd have to go back pretty deep into prehistory to put Norwich on the coast - well before the settlement was founded.

I'm reporting you two to the Tourist Board for spreading malicious rumours
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 pm

21 miles on the A47 from Norwich to the nearest beach at Great Yarmouth, JC.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Wensum body (sorry abouut the pun :roll: ) knows more about a subject than you do, you do a bit of research.

It looks as though it's unlikely Norwich was ever on the coast and that the coastline was a lot further out to sea, especially in Mesolithic times.

Well done to you BiB for correcting a jokey, throw-away line.

I thought that was rather good, actually. Brought a smile to my face.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum