VAR (Video Assistant Referee)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: VAR (Video Assistant Referee)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 pm

I agree with JC and OD. It has the potential to completely fuck up watching live football. It also has the potential to get rid of a lot of bentness in the official decision making. My money is on it making the match-going experience worse and being used to fuck us over in a variety of new ways.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 pm

It's needed. Prem refs are Sunday league tier and bent
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 am

Just heard a point on the way home on the radio

What happens if Lino flags offside defenders stop as flag has been raised , ref blows as striker scores. But Video shows he was onside . ?
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 am

carolina-blue wrote:Just heard a point on the way home on the radio

What happens if Lino flags offside defenders stop as flag has been raised , ref blows as striker scores. But Video shows he was onside . ?

Then the defenders are idiots, you're thought from an early age to play to the whistle.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Then the defenders are idiots, you're taught from an early age to play to the whistle.

Or slightly afterwards in the case of forwards and then get booked.The other issue is all the incorrect lino offside calls that stop a break where the player would be one to one with the keeper or the attackers heavily outnumber the defenders. The ball does not end up in the net but the odds are that it would have with the correct call. Video refs can't buzz the mistake to the onfield officials - so still lots of scope for FA 'stop City' requirements to be met. It shouldn't be beyond our technical powers to chip the players' kit so that electronic beams can do the linos job. Actually we could just all stand round giant FIFA 17 screens.....
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 am

johnny crossan wrote:

Then the defenders are idiots, you're taught from an early age to play to the whistle.

Or slightly afterwards in the case of forwards and then get booked.The other issue is all the incorrect lino offside calls that stop a break where the player would be one to one with the keeper or the attackers heavily outnumber the defenders. The ball does not end up in the net but the odds are that it would have with the correct call. Video refs can't buzz the mistake to the onfield officials - so still lots of scope for FA 'stop City' requirements to be met. It shouldn't be beyond our technical powers to chip the players' kit so that electronic beams can do the linos job. Actually we could just all stand round giant FIFA 17 screens.....

It won't solve all issues but where it can help it should be used.

Where would put this chip? Let's say for example it's on the front of their shirt and you have a defender with his back to goal and an attacker facing goal standing level, the chip would show the attacker as offside.

Going back to your point about spectator experience if I may, there's no way of knowing how it will affect it until it's seen in action so at the very least it needs to be trialled before a judgement can be made.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sidSmith » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 am

I really enjoyed the way the shove wasn't given on Sterling and then appreciated how the spuds fan's celebrated their goal moments later. I also enjoyed the 2 offside goals spuds scored at their place last season to fuck us over. I mainly enjoyed these moments because the flow of the game wasn't interrupted and I really felt for their fans as they got to celebrate the goals in 'real time' rather than have it all spoilt by a slight delay.
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 am

johnny crossan wrote:

It won't solve all issues but where it can help it should be used.

Where would put this chip? Let's say for example it's on the front of their shirt and you have a defender with his back to goal and an attacker facing goal standing level, the chip would show the attacker as offside.

Going back to your point about spectator experience if I may, there's no way of knowing how it will affect it until it's seen in action so at the very least it needs to be trialled before a judgement can be made.

Apparently it was trialled in the Club World Cup - disastrously I believe, partly as a result of technical failures. I can see the video boys in the van having many of those when City play.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... l-in-japan
You're right about the chip on kit problem, they would have to be directly attached (probably surgically implanted) onto all the parts of the player's body which can legally play the ball together with an orientational/rotational correction programme. They are probably working on it right now at IBM.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

That's really poor from the lino to not spot the initial offside. Dead ball, one player standing in the box, the rest outside, it would remind you of the goal Kane scored against us last season at their place.

Ok so that's one incident where those monitoring messed up, any more from that tournament?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:....Ok so that's one incident where those monitoring messed up, any more from that tournament?

The South American champions from Colombia suffered a shock 3-0 defeat by Japan's Kashima Antlers in Osaka, and it was the first goal that is grabbing all the headlines for many reasons.

Not only did the penalty prove a turning point for the Club World Cup semi-final, but it was a decision made by the off-field "Video Assistant Referee" three minutes after referee Viktor Kassai did not spot Orlando Berrio tripping Daigo Nishi.

Kassai, who officiated the Champions League tie between Manchester City and Barcelona in November, was alerted to the foul by the assistant when the ball went out of play for a throw-in. He ran to the side of the pitch and watched the replay before awarding the controversial spot-kick.

It was a ground-breaking moment and an extraordinary scene in a sport that has been largely reluctant to introduce technology and interfere with the referee, but a common occurrence in other sports such as rugby, cricket and tennis.

The whole thing was ruined - isn't that enough? I'm sure we'll have lots more controversial 'match changing video ref interventions' when the system is introduced into the FA Cup next year and probably at the Russian World Cup too.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:....Ok so that's one incident where those monitoring messed up, any more from that tournament?

The South American champions from Colombia suffered a shock 3-0 defeat by Japan's Kashima Antlers in Osaka, and it was the first goal that is grabbing all the headlines for many reasons.

Not only did the penalty prove a turning point for the Club World Cup semi-final, but it was a decision made by the off-field "Video Assistant Referee" three minutes after referee Viktor Kassai did not spot Orlando Berrio tripping Daigo Nishi.

Kassai, who officiated the Champions League tie between Manchester City and Barcelona in November, was alerted to the foul by the assistant when the ball went out of play for a throw-in. He ran to the side of the pitch and watched the replay before awarding the controversial spot-kick.

It was a ground-breaking moment and an extraordinary scene in a sport that has been largely reluctant to introduce technology and interfere with the referee, but a common occurrence in other sports such as rugby, cricket and tennis.

The whole thing was ruined - isn't that enough? I'm sure we'll have lots more controversial 'match changing video ref interventions' when the system is introduced into the FA Cup next year and probably at the Russian World Cup too.

The whole tournament was ruined by that one decision?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 am

johnny crossan wrote:

The whole tournament was ruined by that one decision?

you've clearly got no Columbian relatives ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:20 pm

johnny crossan wrote:It shouldn't be beyond our technical powers to chip the players' kit so that electronic beams can do the linos job.

this is exactly what I've been thinking about. but in the players' boots instead of their kit.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:28 pm

phips wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:It shouldn't be beyond our technical powers to chip the players' kit so that electronic beams can do the linos job.

this is exactly what I've been thinking about. but in the players' boots instead of their kit.

They'd have to be real small... Microphips :lol:
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Scatman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm

phips wrote:

and their knees as well, presumably
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I agree with JC and OD. It has the potential to completely fuck up watching live football. It also has the potential to get rid of a lot of bentness in the official decision making. My money is on it making the match-going experience worse and being used to fuck us over in a variety of new ways.

I think it will make the TV paying public's experience even better. Imagine the Rags watching our games when a perfectly good goal is chalked off for some slight infringement by the manager standing out of his technical area in excitement. Then,in the next match, the Rags kick, punch and throw the oppo to the ground before scoring from a six man offside move. Goal given!

Now, that's the experience they are after, not aiding the referees. The ref's already do their dirty work, this could just be an added response to authenticate them.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I agree with JC and OD. It has the potential to completely fuck up watching live football. It also has the potential to get rid of a lot of bentness in the official decision making. My money is on it making the match-going experience worse and being used to fuck us over in a variety of new ways.

I think it will make the TV paying public's experience even better. Imagine the Rags watching our games when a perfectly good goal is chalked off for some slight infringement by the manager standing out of his technical area in excitement. Then,in the next match, the Rags kick, punch and throw the oppo to the ground before scoring from a six man offside move. Goal given!

Now, that's the experience they are after, not aiding the referees. The ref's already do their dirty work, this could just be an added response to authenticate them.

Bingo
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby edge275 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:08 pm

This should've been brought in a long time ago. The integrity of the game has to be a priority and it has been severely compromised for a long time.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:14 am

sidSmith wrote:I really enjoyed the way the shove wasn't given on Sterling and then appreciated how the spuds fan's celebrated their goal moments later. I also enjoyed the 2 offside goals spuds scored at their place last season to fuck us over. I mainly enjoyed these moments because the flow of the game wasn't interrupted and I really felt for their fans as they got to celebrate the goals in 'real time' rather than have it all spoilt by a slight delay.

This. Well put, Sidney.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
sidSmith wrote:I really enjoyed the way the shove wasn't given on Sterling and then appreciated how the spuds fan's celebrated their goal moments later. I also enjoyed the 2 offside goals spuds scored at their place last season to fuck us over. I mainly enjoyed these moments because the flow of the game wasn't interrupted and I really felt for their fans as they got to celebrate the goals in 'real time' rather than have it all spoilt by a slight delay.

This. Well put, Sidney.

Quite so.
The way I see it VAR/TMO is just another tool. Look at it as a new modern power tool as opposed to an old traditional manual tool.
The key to how it's used is who is in control.

You can build some wonderful things with a hammer and nails. Put the hammer in the hands of the wrong person and you can do s lot of damage.

If the FA/UEFA/FIFA are interested in building a fair system of officiating, then this can definitely be used to help.
If they want to use it to control decisions they don't like in a game, they are perfectly capable of devising a system with it, to suit these ends.

Transparency is all the likes of us, City fans, want. Whatever system is in place, we need to see it's fair.
We don't see the current system as being fairly administered.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum