[POLL] The Greatest Ever?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Is Colin the King a prince now?

Aguero
7%
Kompany
2%
Silva
54%
Yaya
13%
Kolarov
3%
It's still Colin the King
20%
Other
2%

Total votes : 61

Re: [POLL] The Greatest Ever?

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

Sparklehorse wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:voted for merlin
would be an absolute no contest if he had goals in his game

This is exactly why I voted for Ya Ya....the 45 min video on you tube of his skills and goals, just puts him ahead for me...and he always came up with the goods in the biggest games.
He had a bad 18 months under Pellers, but a lot was happening in his life...losing his brother etc.
Silva is a very very close second, and if he had 10 more goals a season in him he'd be top.
But it's the big man for me and for coming back from almost falling off a cliff to being the first name on the team sheet at his age is nothing less that miraculous !

I can understand that thinking and thats why this is a good topic. The attributes of one player may be more important than another to some people, and not so important to others . This is why majority are picking the same players but for different reasons. It's all down to how you like your football. Some like the sheer immense presence of an in form yaya. Yet some like the silky wizardry of silva, with some choosing the sheer explosive goal scoring of Aguero. I personally went for Silva as he is the one player I would have loved to have been able to play like if I was a professional footballer. I am so happy to have had him at our club, pure genius

You could add some additional details like what they were like when away from the club. When you think about Silva and the amount of years we have had him for. I don't think there has been one negative word written anywhere about him. He is an absolute legend and a model pro that every kid should look at and model themselves on.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby dazby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 am

I will. I hardly notice Dave during a game. In fact the times I do is when he doesn't penetrate with a pass or doesn't shoot when he so blatantly should.

It sucks.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby dazby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 am

I am exaggerating a wee bit I should add.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

The actual best player I've seen in a City shirt is Ali B. Absolute genius that guy! If only he'd come to us at a younger age.

He could never be the greatest because he was here for such a short time though.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Bell was before my time. But in the last 25-30 years nobody comes close to Dave, its no contest really.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't suppose Bert Trautmann qualifies because he was 'only' a goalkeeper but he was the reason I fell in love with City as a really young kid. He's certainly, in my eyes, been the greatest goalkeeper we've ever had and that includes the magnificent Frank Swift, although Bert was of another time and another age.

City64, in an earlier post, suggested that Vincent Kompany was the greatest centre-half we've had but I've got to go, myself, for Dave Watson who was an unbelievable defender and had a terrific partnership with the great Mike Doyle.

However, at the end of the day it all comes down to a straight 'shoot-out' between Colin the King and Merlin the magician.

Colin Bell was so versatile and he could play in any position, excelling in all. If he'd been playing today, he would have solved our centre-back problems in a stroke and would have been an ideal Pep player with his ball control, positional sense, tackling, passing, shooting, speed and heading.

It was found that the King had a very slow heart rate which allowed him to run (some would even say sprint) all day, so much so that his nickname was 'Nijinsky' (named after the racehorse of that era, although his grace, strength and athleticism could have related to the Russian ballet dancer of an earlier time.).

Colin Bell was absolutely incomparable and it was criminal that his career was truncated through injury so that's it; Colin Bell was the greatest of all time...........

...........and yet, there's that slender, diminutive, Canary Islander who glides elegantly through that City midfield, controlling the game almost effortlessly. He's predominantly left footed, which elevates him automatically to a higher position and this left foot is akin to gold dust and, personally, I've never seen anyone in a City shirt with the same complete ball control. skill and poise (and there are some serious contenders for this award) and his use of the ball, complemented by his supreme vision, makes him an unparalleled productive member of the side.

He works his socks off and, in spite of getting kicked off the park in every game, he just gets up and continues to play; calmly going about his business efficiently and artistically. Apart from his sublime and almost perfect ball control, he almost knows where he is going to move or pass to, before he even receives it.

At his feet, the ball is a prize possession to be nurtured and caressed and, to my mind, he would be the first name on the team sheet, if you were picking a World All Star XI. His unbelievable talent is a humbling experience.

So who is the better between Colin the King and Merlin the magician ?? It seems an almost impossible task but if Colin was the King, Merlin the Imperious is the absolute Emperor of all he surveys.

So, it's David Silva for me and long may he ply his individualistic trade for our beloved City
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Justified logic » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Well said MC. I'd agree with all of that except I'm sure that Big Dave does know what he's going to do with the ball before he receives it. And I think that is key for any class player.

I went for David Silva as well. Well, just look to your right - or left, up or down if you've got a different board style from me. But whichever way you look, Merlin's ball's coming right to you!

BTW, why is there no half-decent chant for this magician? It's as if his brilliance is so universally accepted (by City fans) that a chant would just seem superfluous.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Mase wrote:The actual best player I've seen in a City shirt is Ali B. Absolute genius that guy! If only he'd come to us at a younger age.

He could never be the greatest because he was here for such a short time though.

And he really only shone in Div 1 mate.

No comparison to Merlin !
Original Dub

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:voted for merlin
would be an absolute no contest if he had goals in his game

This is exactly why I voted for Ya Ya....the 45 min video on you tube of his skills and goals, just puts him ahead for me...and he always came up with the goods in the biggest games.
He had a bad 18 months under Pellers, but a lot was happening in his life...losing his brother etc.
Silva is a very very close second, and if he had 10 more goals a season in him he'd be top.
But it's the big man for me and for coming back from almost falling off a cliff to being the first name on the team sheet at his age is nothing less that miraculous !

I can understand that thinking and thats why this is a good topic. The attributes of one player may be more important than another to some people, and not so important to others . This is why majority are picking the same players but for different reasons. It's all down to how you like your football. Some like the sheer immense presence of an in form yaya. Yet some like the silky wizardry of silva, with some choosing the sheer explosive goal scoring of Aguero. I personally went for Silva as he is the one player I would have loved to have been able to play like if I was a professional footballer. I am so happy to have had him at our club, pure genius

You could add some additional details like what they were like when away from the club. When you think about Silva and the amount of years we have had him for. I don't think there has been one negative word written anywhere about him. He is an absolute legend and a model pro that every kid should look at and model themselves on.

That's a fine comment WW and seems to say so much about David Silva.

I just hope that in future years, although increasing age will take away his legs, his skill will still remain and that Pep elects to play him a lot deeper and just in front of the back four where, surrounded by younger legs, he could continue to ply his inimitable trade. In such a new role as this, he could become our Pirlo equivalent and this would extend his career with us immeasurably.

Just as an aside, reading through all the other posts on this topic, it's interesting that Georgi Kinkladze's name hasn't cropped up and been mentioned.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Kinky? In a different eral maybe. A bright star in a dark sky for us. Certainly could be worth the admission on his mind.

I can understand why people would plump for Yaya (see what I did there) at the centre of so many big moments. Newcastle away, Villa at home, Sunderland at Wembley and Stoke. Also the one which changed everything for our club in my opinion, sliding in the winner against the filth in the semi final in 2011
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby PeterParker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Voted for Dave because I did not have the chance to see Bell play live, just on youtube.

Saw Silva a few times and he is the complete player. Right there with Xavi and Iniesta.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby PrezIke » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Mase wrote:Only one option for me.

Do you have two accounts on here now? :D
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I don't suppose Bert Trautmann qualifies because he was 'only' a goalkeeper but he was the reason I fell in love with City as a really young kid. He's certainly, in my eyes, been the greatest goalkeeper we've ever had and that includes the magnificent Frank Swift, although Bert was of another time and another age.

City64, in an earlier post, suggested that Vincent Kompany was the greatest centre-half we've had but I've got to go, myself, for Dave Watson who was an unbelievable defender and had a terrific partnership with the great Mike Doyle.

However, at the end of the day it all comes down to a straight 'shoot-out' between Colin the King and Merlin the magician.

Colin Bell was so versatile and he could play in any position, excelling in all. If he'd been playing today, he would have solved our centre-back problems in a stroke and would have been an ideal Pep player with his ball control, positional sense, tackling, passing, shooting, speed and heading.

It was found that the King had a very slow heart rate which allowed him to run (some would even say sprint) all day, so much so that his nickname was 'Nijinsky' (named after the racehorse of that era, although his grace, strength and athleticism could have related to the Russian ballet dancer of an earlier time.).

Colin Bell was absolutely incomparable and it was criminal that his career was truncated through injury so that's it; Colin Bell was the greatest of all time...........

...........and yet, there's that slender, diminutive, Canary Islander who glides elegantly through that City midfield, controlling the game almost effortlessly. He's predominantly left footed, which elevates him automatically to a higher position and this left foot is akin to gold dust and, personally, I've never seen anyone in a City shirt with the same complete ball control. skill and poise (and there are some serious contenders for this award) and his use of the ball, complemented by his supreme vision, makes him an unparalleled productive member of the side.

He works his socks off and, in spite of getting kicked off the park in every game, he just gets up and continues to play; calmly going about his business efficiently and artistically. Apart from his sublime and almost perfect ball control, he almost knows where he is going to move or pass to, before he even receives it.

At his feet, the ball is a prize possession to be nurtured and caressed and, to my mind, he would be the first name on the team sheet, if you were picking a World All Star XI. His unbelievable talent is a humbling experience.

So who is the better between Colin the King and Merlin the magician ?? It seems an almost impossible task but if Colin was the King, Merlin the Imperious is the absolute Emperor of all he surveys.

So, it's David Silva for me and long may he ply his individualistic trade for our beloved City

Excellent post MC.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Mase wrote:The actual best player I've seen in a City shirt is Ali B. Absolute genius that guy! If only he'd come to us at a younger age.

And he really only shone in Div 1 mate.

No comparison to Merlin !

He was more special in my opinion. Just unbelievable. Actually blew me away watching him as a kid. I was excited watching a City player for the first time in a longtime. He was well passed his best by the time he came to us. But the magic was still there.

Like I say, he's not the greatest City player of all time but he's the best I've seen in a City shirt.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:58 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Mase wrote:Only one option for me.

Do you have two accounts on here now? :D

There's obviously some other absolute legend on here mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby harveytravis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Depends what you mean by great?

Matt Busby and Don Revie were quite good players for City (so my dad told me) but having watched Colin Bell for 10 years or so I don't think he can be equalled for consistency in all departments.

Indeed I remember a poll taken (maybe just before the 1970 World Cup?) when Brian Moore and co on TV were making up the perfect footballer from other players at the time. The results for the ideal footballer were...

George Best for skill
Bobby Moore for brains
Colin Bell for heart....

We may have more skilful players but for consistency and tenacity but for me I still would chose Bell.
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 pm

harveytravis wrote:Depends what you mean by great?

Matt Busby and Don Revie were quite good players for City (so my dad told me) but having watched Colin Bell for 10 years or so I don't think he can be equalled for consistency in all departments.

Indeed I remember a poll taken (maybe just before the 1970 World Cup?) when Brian Moore and co on TV were making up the perfect footballer from other players at the time. The results for the ideal footballer were...

George Best for skill
Bobby Moore for brains
Colin Bell for heart....

We may have more skilful players but for consistency and tenacity but for me I still would chose Bell.

Nice post HT :)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby freshie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Silva easily. The way he glides around the pitch, sees passes that other players can only dream of and runs the tempo of the game are a sheer joy to behold. It is worth paying the admission price to see him alone - the greatest player I have seen in our shirt and one of the greatest players to grace these shores. I think his game has moved up a level under Pep - love seeing him tracking back, winning the ball back and setting up the play again. Magic!

How he has never won the PFA or Football Writers' player of the year award is a joke
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby freshie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I don't suppose Bert Trautmann qualifies because he was 'only' a goalkeeper but he was the reason I fell in love with City as a really young kid. He's certainly, in my eyes, been the greatest goalkeeper we've ever had and that includes the magnificent Frank Swift, although Bert was of another time and another age.

Great post - sums it up perfectly
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 pm

freshie wrote:
How he has never won the PFA or Football Writers' player of the year award is a joke

Some of the shite that's won it I'm glad Silva is never mentioned with them.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum