SKY the beginning of the end RIP

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: SKY the beginning of the end RIP

Postby PeterParker » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Yey

I really wanted to hear Tyler and Quinn in Romania also.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Let's be honest, A streaming service is not really a complicated thing to offer. The PL could easily set up it's own streaming service and have us log in . Getting rid of middlemen like Murdoch. You tube really is nothing special.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:35 pm

zuricity wrote:You tube really is nothing special.

That's what I've been trying to say all along. There are already 6 or 7 of these types of streaming services in the U.S. already that the OP is talking about. Also the major sports leagues (except the NFL) over here offer a stand alone streaming services.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 am

zuricity wrote:Let's be honest, A streaming service is not really a complicated thing to offer. The PL could easily set up it's own streaming service and have us log in . Getting rid of middlemen like Murdoch. You tube really is nothing special.

YouTube IS something special in terms of its global appeal, reputation for reliability and branding. A Prem-controlled/standalone streaming service would rely on people's awareness of it, the quality of internet at a viewer's location, and also willingness/ability to pay. The way I see a YouTube deal shaping up in the long run would potentially allow free (albeit ad-filled) streaming to poorer markets. The infrastructure is already there for this, meaning that those who pay (either some kind of 'Premium' user or YouTube channels that re-broadcast with their own commentary, or both) will not have to subsidize the cheaper content, or pay over-the-odds to make up for money lost to piracy.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 pm

You tube isn't anything special at all and relies on people posting their videos and not necessarily demanding money. Governments haven't worked out how to tax the advertising income yet, but this will come.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dameerto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
phips wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Dimples wrote:'Google Takes on Cable With ‘YouTube TV’—40 Channels for $35'
https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

IMO It will take time but with Google's very deep pockets to push it, it will come to Europe and then it is R.I.P. Sky - IMO.
Thank goodness.

What am I missing here? Sky and BT Sports currently share exclusive rights to show live PL games. Are we talking about when the rights are up for bidding again? - whenever that is. Surely Sky, etc. could outbid YouTube/Google, just as BT Sports outbid everyone for the CL and EL games?

I'm not saying I don't think it will happen or don't want it to happen. I fucking hate the Murdoch empire.

im not sure why the OP thinks this will affect Sky...if something like Youtube TV makes it over there then Sky will continue to show the matches and the YouTube tV service will allow the customer to watch the Sky matches. unless Sky is a cable provider like Time Warner Cable or DirectTv and not only a tv channel.

Sky is a provider as well as a series of channels.

I'm Spartacus (if I remember correctly) mentioned on here a couple of years ago that as of the last airing rights contract, the broadcasting rights were specifically divvied up between TV broadcasts and streaming/internet broadcasting. I don't know what the long-term impact of this will be, but it could be that, come the next contract, there are two types of broadcasting rights up for grabs: TV (for home and commercial/pub) and internet (home only).

One way I see some kind of YouTube-based legal streaming going in the future is individuals/groups sub-purchasing the rights to re-broadcast games on their own channels, and providing their own commentaries and analysis. That could potentially entirely change sports fans' viewing habits.

I could see that being appealing to clubs - there's a danger of the popular clubs getting a big financial advantage from it if they buy the online rights to their own matchs though. (Forward thinking of our owners to make their online presence a priority too)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum