SKY the beginning of the end RIP

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

SKY the beginning of the end RIP

Postby Dimples » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Announcement by YouTube re TV deal.
Will change the way we watch TV.
Rolling it out in the US first.
Europe wuthin 5 years probably.

It is curtains foe SKY and their business model. Bastards.

A good day indeed.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Re: SKY the beginning of the end RIP

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Haven't heard as much or looked into it but I'd nod my cap to the further downfall of sky. At the start they were fresh and raised the bar for the football viewer that goes without saying but as time has gone by they've allowed others catch up and surpass them.

I prefer BBC coverage these days or my own Irish coverage as biased as it can be they actually tend to talk more football sense. It's blatantly obvious over the years that Sky coverage/analysis has become increasingly biased and geared towards the majority for nothing other than the purpose of making a profit.

Unfortunately for Sky that has been the major downfall, everyone has become wise to their ways and the coverage has become laughable at this stage. I really hope that football coverage becomes more affordable as a result as i have to admit I'm sick of watching shite streams.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 am

Green & Blue wrote:Haven't heard as much or looked into it but I'd nod my cap to the further downfall of sky. At the start they were fresh and raised the bar for the football viewer that goes without saying but as time has gone by they've allowed others catch up and surpass them.

I prefer BBC coverage these days or my own Irish coverage as biased as it can be they actually tend to talk more football sense. It's blatantly obvious over the years that Sky coverage/analysis has become increasingly biased and geared towards the majority for nothing other than the purpose of making a profit.

Unfortunately for Sky that has been the major downfall, everyone has become wise to their ways and the coverage has become laughable at this stage. I really hope that football coverage becomes more affordable as a result as i have to admit I'm sick of watching shite streams.

Agree with every word of that
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby phips » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Dimples wrote:Announcement by YouTube re TV deal.

A good day indeed.

i have no idea what you've said.

are you referring to YouTube TV? that's like Sling TV?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:27 pm

A good day indeed.

i won't have to use my eyes?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:27 pm

A good day indeed.

You do realize there are already several of these streaming services in the U.S. YouTube's announcement is nothing new. People have been watching TV this way in the U.S. for a few years now. It has only put a minor dent in the subscriber base for cable industry. No one in the U.S. cared about the YouTube announcement.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby phips » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:01 pm

i wouldn't say no one.

i actually am very interested. my cable bill is outrageous and they might even be dropping the NBC sports network that shows all of the Premier league matches so YouTube tv could be the best route for me.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:06 pm

phips wrote:i wouldn't say no one.

i actually am very interested. my cable bill is outrageous and they might even be dropping the NBC sports network that shows all of the Premier league matches so YouTube tv could be the best route for me.

You aren't hearing very much about it here because we already have quite a few services like it. SlingTV, DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, etc. I dropped DirecTV a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dimples » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:30 pm

'Google Takes on Cable With ‘YouTube TV’—40 Channels for $35'
https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

IMO It will take time but with Google's very deep pockets to push it, it will come to Europe and then it is R.I.P. Sky - IMO.
Thank goodness.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Dimples wrote:'Google Takes on Cable With ‘YouTube TV’—40 Channels for $35'

IMO It will take time but with Google's very deep pockets to push it, it will come to Europe and then it is R.I.P. Sky - IMO.
Thank goodness.

I'm well aware of it we've been getting these headlines in the U.S. for the last 5 years. But I take it you live in Europe. Over here other companies just as big as Google have similar services. This is nothing new. Apple is also working on a similar service.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Justified logic » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Thank goodness.

What am I missing here? Sky and BT Sports currently share exclusive rights to show live PL games. Are we talking about when the rights are up for bidding again? - whenever that is. Surely Sky, etc. could outbid YouTube/Google, just as BT Sports outbid everyone for the CL and EL games?

I'm not saying I don't think it will happen or don't want it to happen. I fucking hate the Murdoch empire.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Justified logic wrote:

Thank goodness.

What am I missing here? Sky and BT Sports currently share exclusive rights to show live PL games. Are we talking about when the rights are up for bidding again? - whenever that is. Surely Sky, etc. could outbid YouTube/Google, just as BT Sports outbid everyone for the CL and EL games?

I'm not saying I don't think it will happen or don't want it to happen. I fucking hate the Murdoch empire.

Sky has stated that it received an approach from 21st Century Fox to acquire the 61 per cent share of Sky that it does not yet own - bit of vulture capitalism prompted by the weak pound no doubt
http://news.sky.com/story/21st-century- ... c-10689526
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Thank goodness.

Sky has stated that it received an approach from 21st Century Fox to acquire the 61 per cent share of Sky that it does not yet own - bit of vulture capitalism prompted by the weak pound no doubt
http://news.sky.com/story/21st-century- ... c-10689526

presume you know who controls both 21st century fox and sky?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Dameerto » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm

It's basically another resale service with it's unique selling point seeming to be that you don't have to have all the channels. Sky (and presumably BT) would still be a content provider though, if it came to the UK.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19 pm

Dameerto wrote:It's basically another resale service with it's unique selling point seeming to be that you don't have to have all the channels. Sky (and presumably BT) would still be a content provider though, if it came to the UK.

it would also require youtube/google to outbid sky/bt for the premier league rights.
so paying around £30/mth to watch the pl is about as likely as city64 being sober during a game........
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby phips » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:36 am

Justified logic wrote:

Thank goodness.

im not sure why the OP thinks this will affect Sky...if something like Youtube TV makes it over there then Sky will continue to show the matches and the YouTube tV service will allow the customer to watch the Sky matches. unless Sky is a cable provider like Time Warner Cable or DirectTv and not only a tv channel.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby zuricity » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:36 am

You do realise the PL do not necessarily have to take the highest bidder
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 am

zuricity wrote:You do realise the PL do not necessarily have to take the highest bidder

Good call ZC.

The PL are an altruistic body, forged by the white hot heat of the shining principles of fairness, equality, integrity, justice and transparency.

There's no way they would ever contemplate accepting a grubby, disreputable and tarnished bid just because it was the highest.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 pm

phips wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Thank goodness.

im not sure why the OP thinks this will affect Sky...if something like Youtube TV makes it over there then Sky will continue to show the matches and the YouTube tV service will allow the customer to watch the Sky matches. unless Sky is a cable provider like Time Warner Cable or DirectTv and not only a tv channel.

Sky is a provider as well as a series of channels.

I'm Spartacus (if I remember correctly) mentioned on here a couple of years ago that as of the last airing rights contract, the broadcasting rights were specifically divvied up between TV broadcasts and streaming/internet broadcasting. I don't know what the long-term impact of this will be, but it could be that, come the next contract, there are two types of broadcasting rights up for grabs: TV (for home and commercial/pub) and internet (home only).

One way I see some kind of YouTube-based legal streaming going in the future is individuals/groups sub-purchasing the rights to re-broadcast games on their own channels, and providing their own commentaries and analysis. That could potentially entirely change sports fans' viewing habits.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:26 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
phips wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Thank goodness.

Sky is a provider as well as a series of channels.

I'm Spartacus (if I remember correctly) mentioned on here a couple of years ago that as of the last airing rights contract, the broadcasting rights were specifically divvied up between TV broadcasts and streaming/internet broadcasting. I don't know what the long-term impact of this will be, but it could be that, come the next contract, there are two types of broadcasting rights up for grabs: TV (for home and commercial/pub) and internet (home only).

One way I see some kind of YouTube-based legal streaming going in the future is individuals/groups sub-purchasing the rights to re-broadcast games on their own channels, and providing their own commentaries and analysis. That could potentially entirely change sports fans' viewing habits.

As things stand at the moment I get BT and Eir sports channels with my provider, but I never have had Sky and never intend having it.
I watch the channels above only when the stream I get through an android box is not of a similar quality or better.
Quite often I get HD quality on android whereas with my basic package I don't have HD on these channels.

I see IPTV and android boxes as the way to watch most of my television needs now and only really need a good reliable broadband line.

I'd much rather get a fair American analysis of a City game or even listen to French or Spanish commentary than to put up with what Sky and BT have to offer. I think the younger generation coming through will not buy the TV packages as they are at moment. They spend far more time on Youtube than on TV as it stands.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum