BT Champions League extension

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

BT Champions League extension

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:44 am

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... eague-news

Not been following this so I'm not sure if this is a Titanic moment to be honest (apologies if so), but it looks like match-goers will have to rock up at 6pm in the CL as well, sometimes:

BT SPORT has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2BILLION

BT Sport wrestled control of televising live European football away from Sky Sports in 2015 under the terms of an £897m deal agreed in 2013.

And BT Sport will continue as the place to watch the Champions League and Europa League in the UK for the next three seasons.

BT Sport is a paid subscription service but have revealed they will make clips, weekly highlights, UEFA's magazine show and both finals available to watch for FREE on social media.

The new deal will also allow BT Sport to host Champions League 'double-header' nights - back-to-back matches during the group stage with live games
kicking off at both 6pm and 8pm.

The broadcaster will pay around £394m a year for the rights, a hefty increase on the current £299m a year deal.

The current top four leagues in Europe are Spain, Germany, England and Italy.

Under the present system, England, Germany and Spain have three places each while their fourth-placed teams must win a play-off to qualify.

As it stands, Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester City and Liverpool will qualify for next season’s Champions League, with Arsenal and Manchester United in line for the Europa League

BT consumer CEO John Petter said: "We are delighted to have renewed these rights. The UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League are two of the best competitions in the world and we would like to thank UEFA for choosing us as their exclusive broadcast partner in the UK.

“The UEFA Champions League is due to get even stronger and we are delighted that fans will be able to enjoy two live matches a night for the first time."

Guy Laurent Epstein, UEFA marketing director, said: "UEFA is delighted to have extended the relationship with BT Sport for a further three seasons, taking our partnership to 2021.

"BT Sport has proved to be an innovative broadcast partner, pushing the boundaries and covering the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League in new ways.

“BT have delivered strong audiences in the UK and we are excited about their future plans for the use of social media which will engage a growing fanbase that consumes sport in different ways.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: BT Champions League extension

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 am

Balls...

They are awful.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dub City » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:49 am

john@staustell wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/775431/Champions-League-Europa-League-BT-Sport-Sky-Sports-Premier-League-news

Not been following this so I'm not sure if this is a Titanic moment to be honest (apologies if so), but it looks like match-goers will have to rock up at 6pm in the CL as well, sometimes:

BT SPORT has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2BILLION

BT Sport wrestled control of televising live European football away from Sky Sports in 2015 under the terms of an £897m deal agreed in 2013.

And BT Sport will continue as the place to watch the Champions League and Europa League in the UK for the next three seasons.

BT Sport is a paid subscription service but have revealed they will make clips, weekly highlights, UEFA's magazine show and both finals available to watch for FREE on social media.

[b]The new deal will also allow BT Sport to host Champions League 'double-header' nights - back-to-back matches during the group stage with live games
kicking off at both 6pm and 8pm.

The broadcaster will pay around £394m a year for the rights, a hefty increase on the current £299m a year deal.

The current top four leagues in Europe are Spain, Germany, England and Italy.

Under the present system, England, Germany and Spain have three places each while their fourth-placed teams must win a play-off to qualify.

As it stands, Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester City and Liverpool will qualify for next season’s Champions League, with Arsenal and Manchester United in line for the Europa League

BT consumer CEO John Petter said: "We are delighted to have renewed these rights. The UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League are two of the best competitions in the world and we would like to thank UEFA for choosing us as their exclusive broadcast partner in the UK.

“The UEFA Champions League is due to get even stronger and we are delighted that fans will be able to enjoy two live matches a night for the first time."

Guy Laurent Epstein, UEFA marketing director, said: "UEFA is delighted to have extended the relationship with BT Sport for a further three seasons, taking our partnership to 2021.

"BT Sport has proved to be an innovative broadcast partner, pushing the boundaries and covering the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League in new ways.

“BT have delivered strong audiences in the UK and we are excited about their future plans for the use of social media which will engage a growing fanbase that consumes sport in different ways.[/b]

Games at 6 and 8? There we go, more consideration for the match going fan getting to stadium for 6 kick off, with security and traffic most will have to be at ground about 4. Really hate their coverage from the rag love in during our games to Howard Webb chipping in with shite every few minutes.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 am

Neither BT nor UEFA have the slightest consideration for fans. UEFA only cares about £££$$$ and if BT took any notice of fans - all fans not just us - they would bin Owen, McPointy, Hargreaves, Mills, Hoddle, Savage etc etc etc double quick
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:40 am

Boooooooo
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 am

london blue 2 wrote:Balls...

They are awful.

The worst. They've scraped the barrel and are through to the ground below.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am

john@staustell wrote:Neither BT nor UEFA have the slightest consideration for fans. UEFA only cares about £££$$$ and if BT took any notice of fans - all fans not just us - they would bin Owen, McPointy, Hargreaves, Mills, Hoddle, Savage etc etc etc double quick

The sponsors can't be happy about this, no fucker watches BT.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Balls...

They are awful.

You're right LB.

Testicles have a lot to answer for :roll: :roll: :? :?
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Will the 6pm games be played in the UK time zone? I seriously doubt it. The priority will be teams in Russia, Greece, Ukraine, Turkey and Romania, for all of whom it would be an 8pm (or later) kick off.

As there's only England and Portugal with regular CL group stage participants in our time zone, I guess games played in England will always be in the 8pm slot.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Price of televsion is becoming ridiculous.I pay £70.00 a month for a full Sky multi-room package,that is with 33% of for 5 years, in a deal i negotiated.Normally that package would cost £100.00.If i wanted Sky Q (4K Football),that would put another £12.50 a month on the price.

What i do is give my son the password to stream Sky to his computer,he hooks this up to his TV for the Kids to watch Sky,and he watches the football.

In turn he give me his log in details for his BT Sport where i get to watch the foot ball/Champions League games.

You have to try keep the costs down..

Can you imagine paying full price for the lot ?.

I so miss my Kryptview Box.Damn Nagravision.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby nottsblue » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:20 pm

If BT have shelled out a fortune for the coverage and the clubs are happy to take extra revenue in from the TV, then games will be played whenever the TV company dictates. We have seen this with the PL and FA cup. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Fans are just another commodity to clubs these days and have been for some time. Sad, but there you are
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Justified logic » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:Will the 6pm games be played in the UK time zone? I seriously doubt it. The priority will be teams in Russia, Greece, Ukraine, Turkey and Romania, for all of whom it would be an 8pm (or later) kick off.

As there's only England and Portugal with regular CL group stage participants in our time zone, I guess games played in England will always be in the 8pm slot.

What happens during the group stage then when 2 PL teams play Tuesday and 2 play Wednesday?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:26 am

I struggle to make it to the Etihad for the 7.45 KOs - there's no way I'd be able to get there for 6pm. Bollocks
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby pepsi_dave » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 am

The games that are due to kick off at 6PM UK time are more than likely going to be reserved for the teams that are 2 hours ahead of UK time. I highly doubt there will be any English/French/German/Spanish teams kicking off at 6PM. But this UEFA so who knows!

Still a kick in the bollocks for the non-serious football fan. I remember as kid after CL nights when games were on ITV that everyone the day after was talking about the game, whether they supported the team(s) playing or not!

It's Such a huge shame that Europe's most prestigious competition is becoming less accessible and getting less exposure.... it's all that is wrong with football at the moment, it's being take further and further away from us.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 am

Justified logic wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:Will the 6pm games be played in the UK time zone? I seriously doubt it. The priority will be teams in Russia, Greece, Ukraine, Turkey and Romania, for all of whom it would be an 8pm (or later) kick off.

What happens during the group stage then when 2 PL teams play Tuesday and 2 play Wednesday?

I'd guess the team playing at home on a Tuesday plays at 8, the one away at 6, and the same for Wednesday. The only exception would be when an English team is playing away in Portugal or Scotland - then they would also be in the 8pm slot.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby dick dastardley » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:Price of televsion is becoming ridiculous.I pay £70.00 a month for a full Sky multi-room package,that is with 33% of for 5 years, in a deal i negotiated.Normally that package would cost £100.00.If i wanted Sky Q (4K Football),that would put another £12.50 a month on the price.

What i do is give my son the password to stream Sky to his computer,he hooks this up to his TV for the Kids to watch Sky,and he watches the football.

In turn he give me his log in details for his BT Sport where i get to watch the foot ball/Champions League games.

You have to try keep the costs down..

Can you imagine paying full price for the lot ?.

I so miss my Kryptview Box.Damn Nagravision.

Get urself a dodgy box every sky and BT channel £40 for year and fuck sky and BT off
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby zuricity » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 pm

After all the cock and bull ... i still can't believe that you can't get a pint at a CL game well and truly 64ed.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Justified logic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:17 pm

This will not induce me to subscribe to BT Sport. Look like I'll have to continue down the boozer with my City mate for several more years.
Justified logic

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Justified logic wrote:This will not induce me to subscribe to BT Sport. Look like I'll have to continue down the boozer with my City mate for several more years.

Works for me JL.

Quite often the commentary even gets drowned out by the noise from the regulars, so I/we don't have to listen to the garbage that's always spouted. :D
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Justified logic wrote:This will not induce me to subscribe to BT Sport. Look like I'll have to continue down the boozer with my City mate for several more years.

It's so hard ;-)

Oh, and BT are shit with their City coverage even shitter!

I get it free with my broadband otherwise I wouldn't bother.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum