MLS Football (soccer for Americans)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

MLS Football (soccer for Americans)

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:43 pm

MLS Football (soccer for Americans :D ).

I started watching MLS last season, following our embryonic American little sister, wearing our Sky Blue NYCC.I was wondering has anyone else started getting in to it like me ?

It’s not the Premier League, still I have to say,i have been impressed by the real improvement in American Football. The US fans I have to say are simply brilliant; they have really embraced Football (soccer), even all the parody terrace chanting. I Watched Orlando v NYCC last night. The new sold out 25,000 Orlando ground was rocking all game, there was even a designated standing/singing area, complete with cup holders. The fans were singing their hearts out from the first minute to the last. American chants are fucking hilarious…..”NYCC you aint got no history…"NYCC you aint got no history"…even the British commentator was like "these chants are making me chuckle".

I can’t believe how much football in US has changed. I remember when they simply didn’t get football (soccer). People faces in the crowd simply looked confused.

These days watching US football (soccer) you could be forgiven for thinking any of these games were in England. Grounds are mostly sold out, crowds are rocking, the singing is excellent and would shame many English grounds. We could actually learn from the Americans. If we had a designated standing/singing section at the Etihad (maybe without the Cup holders) it would have our ground rocking also.

Very Impressed with the way US Football has evolved on, and off the pitch.
Last edited by zabbadabbado on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Re: MLS Football (soccer for Americans)

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:52 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:MLS Football (soccer for Americans :D ).

I started watching MLS last season, following our embryonic American little sister, wearing our Sky Blue NYCC.I was wondering has anyone else started getting in to it like me ?

It’s not the Premier League, still I have to say,i have been impressed by the real improvement in American Football. The US fans I have to say are simply brilliant; they have really embraced Football (soccer), even all the parody terrace chanting. I Watched Orlando v NYCC last night. The new sold out impressive 25,000 Orlando ground was rocking all game, there was even a designated standing/singing area, complete with cup holders. The fans were just brilliant, singing their hearts out from the first minute to the last. American chants are fucking hilarious…..”NYCC you aint got no history…"NYCC you aint got no history"…even the British commentator was like "these chants are making me chuckle".

I can’t believe how much football in US has changed. I remember when they simply didn’t get football (soccer). People faces in the crowd simply looked confused.

These days watching US football (soccer) you could be forgiven for thinking any of these games were in England. The crowds are rocking, the singing is excellent and would shame many English grounds. We could actually learn from the Americans. If we had a designated standing/singing section at the Etihad (maybe without the Cup holders) it would have our ground rocking also.

Very Impressed with the way US Football has evolved on, and off the pitch. Packed grounds is what you want to see.

Looks like the American public has taken to it. By all accounts it's the biggest growing sport in the USA.

They do still have the odd American gimmick like the portland timbers chainsawing a piece off the tree trunk for every goal. Still, it's a tradition.

Got to say I absolutely hate the pitch for NYCFC home games. They need a home and the Yankee stadium isn't it.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

It’s not the Premier League, still I have to say,i have been impressed by the real improvement in American Football. The US fans I have to say are simply brilliant; they have really embraced Football (soccer), even all the parody terrace chanting. I Watched Orlando v NYCC last night. The new sold out impressive 25,000 Orlando ground was rocking all game, there was even a designated standing/singing area, complete with cup holders. The fans were just brilliant, singing their hearts out from the first minute to the last. American chants are fucking hilarious…..”NYCC you aint got no history…"NYCC you aint got no history"…even the British commentator was like "these chants are making me chuckle".

These days watching US football (soccer) you could be forgiven for thinking any of these games were in England. The crowds are rocking, the singing is excellent and would shame many English grounds. We could actually learn from the Americans. If we had a designated standing/singing section at the Etihad (maybe without the Cup holders) it would have our ground rocking also.

Very Impressed with the way US Football has evolved on, and off the pitch. Packed grounds is what you want to see.

Looks like the American public has taken to it. By all accounts it's the biggest growing sport in the USA.

They do still have the odd American gimmick like the portland timbers chainsawing a piece off the tree trunk for every goal. Still, it's a tradition.

Got to say I absolutely hate the pitch for NYCFC home games. They need a home and the Yankee stadium isn't it.
I think thats what i enjoy about MLS.You get the American/Canadian indetity coming through with the football.Sawing a Tree Trunk,it is funny as fuck,alien to us though.

I agree NYC need a football ground.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby stevefromdonny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

NY CITY won last night 4-0 david villa scored 2
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby sheblue » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Can't really be bothered with it.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PrezIke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

This 100%. I would probably buy tickets if there was a better place, but it is complicated. I actually do plan to attend one game this season with my 6 year old nephew, but I really wish it was in a proper football stadium. I've been to RedBull Arena once in 2010, I believe, when we played in the Barclays New York Challenge pre-season cup with NY RedBulls, Spurs and Sporting Clube de Portugal. It was a great atmosphere and place to watch, as you are quite close to the action even in the not expensive seats. When I posted photos on Facebook and English friend of mine thought it was White Hart Lane.

The problem with NYCFC and getting a proper stadium is complicated as there are various factors impeding the ability to get a new venue. I post a little bit on NYCFC Forums and there has been a long discussion about this, but I found an article showing the financial dealings between the Yankees and CFG surrounding use of Yankee Stadium and one potential problem is that since NYCFC is already profitable at Yankee Stadium, the Yankees have less incentive to want NYCFC to leave. Here's what I posted:

http://www.metrosoccernation.com/exclusive-details-emerge-financial-agreement-cfg-yankees/

My bad if this version was already posted, but this is concerning news.

The existence of a capital-based ownership agreement between CFG and the Yankees, and the lease for use of Yankee Stadium alters the understanding of NYCFC’s incentives to eventually build and manage their own stadium. If the cost of the lease begins to exceed the revenue needed to turn a profit, the Club will have to look towards building their own stadium to reduce annual expenditures by not pay a landlord.

However, based on statements from the organizations, it appears NYCFC is squarely in the black, and attendance numbers seem to indicate prolonged interest in the club. With the Yankees 20% ownership interest, it’s unlikely that NYCFC’s revenue is being affected enough to persuade them to spend exorbitant amounts of money to build and maintain their own stadium.

The other issue relates to finding land suitable for a stadium in a city with a huge housing problem and where politics have a huge impact as public opinion generally is very much against building or helping fund/provide tax breaks (often what happens in these deals) for a stadium in NYC, and some of which is for good reason when residents struggle to deal with the cost of living already.

Right now, it is seeming like no stadium is going to be built any time soon.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:49 pm

The fan quality in MLS seems to be the draw for many, but it's also the ignorance of some American fans that I think even allows for it to be what it is. It is also a sport that, frankly and sadly, has grown in popularity among mostly white Americans tired of "big money sports" and "overpaid" (I'd argue also related to the race of some) players in the NBA, NFL and MLB.

More knowledgeable football fans, those who grew up playing FIFA years ago on video game consoles, Latinos from football countries and immigrants from Caribbean, Middle Eastern, African and other football oriented countries tend to follow big European clubs. Why? Some of it I believe relates to familiarity and celebrity, but it is also due to the quality of the product on the pitch which is still so far behind it is difficult for me to get into it too much.

I am a fan of NYCFC, naturally, but every time I watch I find myself missing the quality that we are used to seeing in Europe.

Hopefully due to the sport growing we start to see more homegrown talent from the U.S., but so far that isn't happening, and is why the U.S. men's team is so atrocious/in transition, and MLS is not improving enough in quality.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm

PrezIke wrote:The fan quality in MLS seems to be the draw for many, but it's also the ignorance of some American fans that I think even allows for it to be what it is. It is also a sport that, frankly and sadly, has grown in popularity among mostly white Americans tired of "big money sports" and "overpaid" (I'd argue also related to the race of some) players in the NBA, NFL and MLB.

More knowledgeable football fans, those who grew up playing FIFA years ago on video game consoles, Latinos from football countries and immigrants from Caribbean, Middle Eastern, African and other football oriented countries tend to follow big European clubs. Why? Some of it I believe relates to familiarity and celebrity, but it is also due to the quality of the product on the pitch which is still so far behind it is difficult for me to get into it too much.

I am a fan of NYCFC, naturally, but every time I watch I find myself missing the quality that we are used to seeing in Europe.

Hopefully due to the sport growing we start to see more homegrown talent from the U.S., but so far that isn't happening, and is why the U.S. men's team is so atrocious/in transition, and MLS is not improving enough in quality.
good post mate.

I dont think the football quality is that bad tbh.Obviously its not Premier League,still i find it a good watch late on a Saturday Suday night.

Just watched the Minessotta game i taped last night,"oh my God" it gave me flash backs of some of the games at Main Road in the 70s.No way would our Health and Safety trads allow a game like that these days.Great game considering the conditions.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:Just watched the Minessotta game i taped last night,"oh my God" it gave me flash backs of some of the games at Main Road in the 70s.No way would our Health and Safety trads allow a game like that these days.Great game considering the conditions.

I was at the game. That is a typical March day in Minnesota. The manager is former City player Adrian Heath.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby nottsblue » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:Just watched the Minessotta game i taped last night,"oh my God" it gave me flash backs of some of the games at Main Road in the 70s.No way would our Health and Safety trads allow a game like that these days.Great game considering the conditions.

I was at the game. That is a typical March day in Minnesota. The manager is former City player Adrian Heath.

"Player" is stretching it a little. Made Heskey look prolific
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Michigan Blue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 am

I support Montreal and saw a game at Stade Saputo a couple seasons ago. Great fun. A geriatric Drogba bossed the game.

The league is always going to be crippled by its horrendous format. Conferences, playoffs, no promotion-relegation. As football goes, it's an alien, artificial format. There are reasons for it, reasons I understand, but it's just a bit....shit. And it makes it difficult to invest a lot of interest in.

If an MLS club were to win the CONCACAF Champions League (don't laugh), it would probably help the league build some credibility on the world stage. But Mexican clubs dominate the continent every single year.

As for the supporter culture, it is finding its way, but some of the "ultra" stuff is just pure cringe. See how far you make it through this article before hiding behind the couch.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/3 ... er-profile
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 am

I got interested when we took over NYCFC. It's not the EPL but is competitive and it's interesting to see names of famous players at the end of their careers popping up such as Pirlo and Drogba. Added advantage for me is the timing down here in Oz which starts around mid morning!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am

Considering MLS stands for Major League Soccer, you've posted the thread title as "Major League Soccer Football". I don't think you're on solid enough ground to be snarky with your (soccer for Americans) comment afterwards.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 am

Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 am

I usually watch it if I remember it is on.

But I found that Vieira's City are usually all over the oppo, playing beautiful football, don't score enough goals and the defence is embarrassing.

Remind us of anyone?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Return to The Maine Football forum