*** city v stoke official match thread ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** city v stoke official match thread ***

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:I didn't want the rotation any more than anyone else, but I'm not sure anyone was worse last night than Sterling was at Sunderland, especially in the first half. His deflected cross was the sort of luck we lacked last night. The problem for me was our lack of strength in depth. No replacement for Silva and we know Navas is not the answer.

KDB was a hell of a lot worse last night than Sterling was against Sunderland. Navas was just there, at least when Sterling is playing poorly, or his touch is letting him down, or whatever, he still commits defenders which opens up space or he makes runs that need to be tracked which also opens up space for others to exploit. He is integral to how we're playing this season, just as much if not more than Silva is.

I know Sterling is having a good season. He looked stale at Sunderland so giving him a rest was no reason for our poor performance. For all the good stuff he has done, he did need a break imo. That was my point.

Didn't he set the first goal up mate?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Mase wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:I didn't want the rotation any more than anyone else, but I'm not sure anyone was worse last night than Sterling was at Sunderland, especially in the first half. His deflected cross was the sort of luck we lacked last night. The problem for me was our lack of strength in depth. No replacement for Silva and we know Navas is not the answer.

KDB was a hell of a lot worse last night than Sterling was against Sunderland. Navas was just there, at least when Sterling is playing poorly, or his touch is letting him down, or whatever, he still commits defenders which opens up space or he makes runs that need to be tracked which also opens up space for others to exploit. He is integral to how we're playing this season, just as much if not more than Silva is.

I know Sterling is having a good season. He looked stale at Sunderland so giving him a rest was no reason for our poor performance. For all the good stuff he has done, he did need a break imo. That was my point.

Yes, I did say that in my first post. It was a deflected cross, the bit of luck we could have done with last night. He repeatedly lost possession though. I thought it was ok to rest him last night. He's played a lot of footie recently. We made 3 significant changes last night. I'm pretty sure u rightly said it was a crap team prior to kick off. My point is the players who fill in are not up to it. The squad needs some improvement as we need to rotate at this stage of the season when we have 5 games in 2 weeks. We should have the squad to do that.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:48 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Mase wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

Yes, I did say that in my first post. It was a deflected cross, the bit of luck we could have done with last night. He repeatedly lost possession though. I thought it was ok to rest him last night. He's played a lot of footie recently. We made 3 significant changes last night. I'm pretty sure u rightly said it was a crap team prior to kick off. My point is the players who fill in are not up to it. The squad needs some improvement as we need to rotate at this stage of the season when we have 5 games in 2 weeks. We should have the squad to do that.

Agreed mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 am

Proper shit last night.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby branny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 am

branny wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Kev Won't play that bad again. Sane was extremely poor as well.

Big players let us down.

Kev was just as bad last Wednesday.

Against Huddersfield? Not a chance, he was well below par last night, easily one of his worst overall performances in a City shirt ( until he moved wide ) but he was decent against Huddersfield following a slow enough start to that one.

His passing and decision making were not up to his usual standard in my opinion.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby aaron bond » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:16 am

branny wrote:
branny wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Kev Won't play that bad again. Sane was extremely poor as well.

Big players let us down.

Kev was just as bad last Wednesday.

Against Huddersfield? Not a chance, he was well below par last night, easily one of his worst overall performances in a City shirt ( until he moved wide ) but he was decent against Huddersfield following a slow enough start to that one.

His passing and decision making were not up to his usual standard in my opinion.

As Pep wanted to rotate the squad against Stoke it would have been better to put KDB on the bench instead of Silva.

Silva, Sane, Sterling and Aguero are all in great form. There was no need to stop that momentum. We saw the difference Silva made when he came on.

If both him and Sterling had started we would have won the game comfortably. Pep fucked up.
aaron bond

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:13 am

we had enough efforts to have won, we also have the quality to do better. Move on it's gone....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 pm

it is suicide to start navas and sagna together. neither offers any attacking threat whatsoever, so our right side becomes toothless and opponents can overload on our left. we've seen the same pattern many times before!
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Justified logic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:it is suicide to start navas and sagna together. neither offers any attacking threat whatsoever, so our right side becomes toothless and opponents can overload on our left. we've seen the same pattern many times before!

And yet we saw it again on Wednesday. A right royal fuck up by Guardiola. And a left one with Clichy bombing down the wing and then passing the ball back as soon as he receives it. :roll:
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:26 pm

The team put out by Pep should have had plenty of incentive to win.

The fucknuts didn't. It's not Pep's fault that no one can fucking score for shit and that our former Fortress at home is now a yurt where we do Yoga at HT.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:it is suicide to start navas and sagna together. neither offers any attacking threat whatsoever, so our right side becomes toothless and opponents can overload on our left. we've seen the same pattern many times before!

And yet we saw it again on Wednesday. A right royal fuck up by Guardiola. And a left one with Clichy bombing down the wing and then passing the ball back as soon as he receives it. :roll:

agreed. clichy does my head in when he does that. and he can't defend, so what does he offer us that maffeo/angelino can't??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

agreed. clichy does my head in when he does that. and he can't defend, so what does he offer us that maffeo/angelino can't??

Maffeo is a right back.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Wooders » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Justified logic wrote:

there were large pockets of space in the centre right of the park that didn't get exploited once - they just either ran into groups of stoke players or passed it to the most heavily marked player every single time down the right hand side - when they weren't doing that they were passing the ball to stoke players
i hate navas but this must be because they were following the managers instructions - a pep cockup imo (apart from the passing the ball to the oppo!)
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum