Kieran Trippier

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kieran Trippier

Postby freshie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Every time I watch him play for Spurs I am more and more impressed by him. Can't believe we let him go to Burnley a few seasons ago, although you could argue his game has developed since then. With him not being a first-choice RB for Spurs I don't see why we shouldn't make a bid for him in the summer. Definitely think he would walk into out first XI
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Kieran Trippier

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 pm

He wouldn't come back to City. Family are all rags.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm

freshie wrote:Every time I watch him play for Spurs I am more and more impressed by him. Can't believe we let him go to Burnley a few seasons ago, although you could argue his game has developed since then. With him not being a first-choice RB for Spurs I don't see why we shouldn't make a bid for him in the summer. Definitely think he would walk into out first XI

If he cant get into the spurs team, he shouldnt be able to get into ours, id be aiming a bit higher personally but can see your thinking.

As i watched Ben Mee win header after header yesterday i couldnt help but think he is more of a central defender than Otamendi.

Good to see all ex graduates do well, i do like to see that.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
freshie wrote:Every time I watch him play for Spurs I am more and more impressed by him. Can't believe we let him go to Burnley a few seasons ago, although you could argue his game has developed since then. With him not being a first-choice RB for Spurs I don't see why we shouldn't make a bid for him in the summer. Definitely think he would walk into out first XI

If he cant get into the spurs team, he shouldnt be able to get into ours, id be aiming a bit higher personally but can see your thinking.

As i watched Ben Mee win header after header yesterday i couldnt help but think he is more of a central defender than Otamendi.

Ben Mee is no worse than Otter, that's for sure. In fact, is he on par with Stones - who he paid a lot of money for?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby freshie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

I think he's better than Kyle Walker
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

freshie wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

I think he's better than Kyle Walker

Ah i dont know about that, walker has been excellent this season, i like Trippier but for where we want to be he is not the answer.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby nottsblue » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

Not getting into the Spuds team is irrelevant as to whether he is a player we should or shouldn't sign. The question to ask of any potential signing is whether he can improve the present incumbent(s) in the relevant position or whether he would be an able deputy. Other factors such as age, nationality, ability to play in other positions, price all have a bearing on whether we sign a player.

As it happens, Trippier would be an improvement on both our present full backs. Whether he is at the level that we want is another matter. I am in agreement with you that I think we can do better but I don't believe we should stay away from a player just because he isn't a first team regular. He might be a player suited to our way of thinking but not his present clubs. Imagine if somehow Pulis got to manage David Silva, he would find a way to limit his output. Or imagine if Fabregas replaced bogbrush at the swamp
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby freshie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Not getting into the Spuds team is irrelevant as to whether he is a player we should or shouldn't sign. The question to ask of any potential signing is whether he can improve the present incumbent(s) in the relevant position or whether he would be an able deputy. Other factors such as age, nationality, ability to play in other positions, price all have a bearing on whether we sign a player.

As it happens, Trippier would be an improvement on both our present full backs. Whether he is at the level that we want is another matter. I am in agreement with you that I think we can do better but I don't believe we should stay away from a player just because he isn't a first team regular. He might be a player suited to our way of thinking but not his present clubs. Imagine if somehow Pulis got to manage David Silva, he would find a way to limit his output. Or imagine if Fabregas replaced bogbrush at the swamp

Exactly. Plus he would help us fill our home-grown quota
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

I agree that not getting into the spurs team isnt the defining criteria but we are talking about a 26 year old with less than 50 premier league appearances in his career, no international caps and no trophies of note. He has probably only got a couple of full seasons as a pro under his belt in his whole career, for where we want to be we can do better homegrown or not. If we dont aim higher we will only end up replacing him in two years, personally id rather chance Maffeo or Duhaney if we going down that route.

Again not the defining criteria but been better than zaba and sagna shouldnt be the min requirement and even in saying that you are talking about two experienced pros who have played at the highest level for most there careers both internationally and domestically against a 26 year old who has barely played. The only thing Trippier has on them is youth, both even now are better defenders than him.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:28 pm

I watched plenty of Tripp as a junior and he had lost of qualities but I was never sure of his defensive abiliries. Still not form what I have seen since but there is no doubt he has attacking qualities and is a fantastic crosser of a ball.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I watched plenty of Tripp as a junior and he had lost of qualities but I was never sure of his defensive abiliries. Still not form what I have seen since but there is no doubt he has attacking qualities and is a fantastic crosser of a ball.

Full backs and defending are a thing of the past, Pep will not want defensive fbacks he wants 50 games a season athletes who can deal with a man and a situation if need be.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I watched plenty of Tripp as a junior and he had lost of qualities but I was never sure of his defensive abiliries. Still not form what I have seen since but there is no doubt he has attacking qualities and is a fantastic crosser of a ball.

Full backs and defending are a thing of the past, Pep will not want defensive fbacks he wants 50 games a season athletes who can deal with a man and a situation if need be.

Being ONLY able to defend as a full back might be a thing of the past but it's still important to be able to defend.

"who can deal with a man and a situation" sounds like being able to defend to me:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Watched him since he was 7 playing for the local kids team in Bury. He's class and was years younger than the kids he was playing with at the time.

If we're going for a right back though I'd rather have Bellerin.

Barca have opened talks with Arse today for him. Come on Pep.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby freshie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Being ONLY able to defend as a full back might be a thing of the past but it's still important to be able to defend.

"who can deal with a man and a situation" sounds like being able to defend to me:)

Couldn't agree with you more Doug. For me fullbacks should be able to defend first and foremost and any attacking ability is a bonus. I also want my goalkeepers to prevent the ball from going into the back of the net above anything else and my centre backs to be able to defend.Fuck me, I'm getting old
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby freshie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Mase wrote:Watched him since he was 7 playing for the local kids team in Bury. He's class and was years younger than the kids he was playing with at the time.

If we're going for a right back though I'd rather have Bellerin.

Barca have opened talks with Arse today for him. Come on Pep.

I read a few days ago that the only club he would consider leaving the Goners for would be us. I am a big fan of his and feel that he would suit our system perfectly
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am

He's a pacy fucker for sure.

If there are talks and it's not all press speculation, we should absolutely be in for him. as much as I love Zabs and Sagna, it's clear as day their best days are behind them and neither should be 1st choice. Zabs should be given the option to remain or leave as he sees fit, he's given years of quality service to us, a model professional and everything I'd want in a footballer at my club.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

Hazy2 wrote:

Name the fullbacks who put defending 1st, or the coaches who want Back4s to defend first and formost, Spurs have lead the way in that the two Belgians cope better than anyone do Walker and Rose defend, Davies and Trip come in and bomb on. I get the defending bit Doug, Football at City next year will be wide men up and down and 2,3 pushing on. Pep is not looking defenders he is after creators.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Name the fullbacks who put defending 1st, or the coaches who want Back4s to defend first and formost, Spurs have lead the way in that the two Belgians cope better than anyone do Walker and Rose defend, Davies and Trip come in and bomb on. I get the defending bit Doug, Football at City next year will be wide men up and down and 2,3 pushing on. Pep is not looking defenders he is after creators.

I actually think Rose is a decent defender. Walker is a bit thick as a defender but because he is very quick he gets by quite well. If Pep doesn't want defenders then Zaba can just carry on because he is quite clever attacking. Trouble is he is slow and has no powers of recovery. I can get that it's more and more about getting up and down but Kolarov can do that but you wouldn't want to have him as a left back would you? Thus there needs to be defensive qualities in the full back even if it's just a combination of pace and endless energy to get back
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby freshie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I actually think Rose is a decent defender. Walker is a bit thick as a defender but because he is very quick he gets by quite well. If Pep doesn't want defenders then Zaba can just carry on because he is quite clever attacking. Trouble is he is slow and has no powers of recovery. I can get that it's more and more about getting up and down but Kolarov can do that but you wouldn't want to have him as a left back would you? Thus there needs to be defensive qualities in the full back even if it's just a combination of pace and endless energy to get back

Spot on re Rose and Walker. Walker uses his pace to get himself out of trouble when defending - don't think defending comes naturally to him, whereas Rose is the complete full back
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Return to The Maine Football forum