How Many Players Do We Need

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: How Many Players Do We Need

Postby freshie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Guardiola said: ‘No, it’s not about the defence. Why was the second half a problem with the defence? The problem was the first half when we were not there, our strikers had to be aggressive and pick the ball up, but we didn’t at this crucial time. That’s why we are out.
Guardiola did not blame his defence and insisted the first-half display had been the problem saying It’s not about the defence and the goalkeeper.

If he really believes that then he should be fucked off , the deluded cunt.!!!

His view of football seems to be upside down - a man who believes we should defend from the front and start the attack from the back. An idea which can, and did work at Barcelona and Bayern where he had far superior players, but simply won't with the players he currently has at his disposal. I'm all for sticking to your principles but surely there has to be some room for pragmatism. At the moment he seems to be trying to fit round pegs into square holes and when we come unstuck it makes him come across as stubborn and arrogant. On the flip side, when it works some of our football is breathtaking. I am more than willing to give him time to get the squad he wants, playing the way he wants but so far this season we don't seem to have progressed as much as I thought we would. Last season Pellegrini and the team were rightly criticised for the toothless performances in the Champions League semis vs Madrid, but I thought that Wednesday night's performance was equally as bad if not worse, considering the difference in the calibre of opposition. You can add Everton and Leicester away to that list of lacklustre performances.

I still can't believe we didn't address the problem of the full backs in the summer as that is the area where I felt we needed to strengthen the most. We had better get the defence sorted out this summer as I don't think many will tolerate a repeat performance next season
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: How Many Players Do We Need

Postby freshie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:52 am

Dameerto wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Dameerto wrote:Our attack is 'very good' our midfield is 'adequate' and our defence is 'below average'. So do the maths. We have a few aging players to seek longterm replacements for, too.

Only good thing our attack has been good at the past 3 games is missing chances

So you're saying we should sell Aguero, Sane, Sterling and Nacho because we haven't converted enough chances in the past three games? Or are you overreacting?
The area that needs most work (both in quality and age terms) is defence.

We have a great attack but fuck me do we waste a lot of gilt-edged chances, something which Pep has mentioned on more than one occasion and a reason he has used for us not winning games. I can see his point to some extent but he needs to realise sometimes you need to dig out a 1-0 victory, which you can only do so with a solid defence (Middlesbrough at home being the most obvious example). There has to be a balance between playing free-flowing all out attacking football and sometimes grinding out results. If he doesn't start to see things that way then he won't achieve the success the club and the fans are hoping for
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum