Navas at right back

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas at right back

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 pm

May as well sign Gaylord Focker.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john68 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:03 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:wow so much hate!! i must be the only one who appreciates him for what he is: a useful squad player on reasonable wages. works hard, keeps possession, never moans to the press, does what he's asked to do, rarely injured, doesn't get sent off/give away stupid freekicks, and can be a good outlet on the break when used properly.

Not quite the only one check out the first post which kicked this thread off.

if i'd told you 4 years ago that in the summer of 2017 with pep guardiola at the helm that we'd be converting a mediocre right winger into a fullback i'd have been laughed off the site
this is seriously fucking embarrassing
the spafia have taken some of you for a massive ride

If I told you that in the mid 1960s Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison converted a mediocre (at that time) winger into a top class full back. you'd have looked a fool....again.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 04, 2017 12:01 pm

john68 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:wow so much hate!! i must be the only one who appreciates him for what he is: a useful squad player on reasonable wages. works hard, keeps possession, never moans to the press, does what he's asked to do, rarely injured, doesn't get sent off/give away stupid freekicks, and can be a good outlet on the break when used properly.

if i'd told you 4 years ago that in the summer of 2017 with pep guardiola at the helm that we'd be converting a mediocre right winger into a fullback i'd have been laughed off the site

If I told you that in the mid 1960s Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison converted a mediocre (at that time) winger into a top class full back. you'd have looked a fool....again.

Excellent memory John.

Didn't Tony Towers also start out life as a right back, but they successfully 'converted' him to a pretty decent defensive/holding midfielder ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu May 04, 2017 12:33 pm

john68 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:

you're completely missing the point john
cook/marwood/mancini put in place a magnifcent foundation for us to build on
the spafia came along and have fucked things up so badly that we are now having to convert players to play in different positions. this isn't anything against navas, who does his best everytime he plays, it's an observation that we have blown an amazing opportunity. i find it all pretty sad if i'm being honest.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
john68 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:

you're completely missing the point john
cook/marwood/mancini put in place a magnifcent foundation for us to build on
the spafia came along and have fucked things up so badly that we are now having to convert players to play in different positions. this isn't anything against navas, who does his best everytime he plays, it's an observation that we have blown an amazing opportunity. i find it all pretty sad if i'm being honest.

Sad at the state of City wow.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu May 04, 2017 3:52 pm

sorry, i am really pleased with how our squad has evolved over the past 5 years. all that money well spent. all those expensive mistakes we have sent out on loan. it's fucking brilliant.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:sorry, i am really pleased with how our squad has evolved over the past 5 years. all that money well spent. all those expensive mistakes we have sent out on loan. it's fucking brilliant.

I see you are getting some stick Nigel. Your a sarky fucker, not stupid, but lacking vision. Evolving after a great period is how I see it, frustrating season granted, but hardly the old City of FFS it's Peterborough away to look forward . You need to get a grip mate.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:sorry, i am really pleased with how our squad has evolved over the past 5 years. all that money well spent. all those expensive mistakes we have sent out on loan. it's fucking brilliant.

I see you are getting some stick Nigel. Your a sarky fucker, not stupid, but lacking vision. Evolving after a great period is how I see it, frustrating season granted, but hardly the old City of FFS it's Peterborough away to look forward . You need to get a grip mate.

he can borrow mine if he wants

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dick dastardley » Fri May 05, 2017 5:15 am

Navas in time probably turn out to be a better right back than a winger, he can't cross never scores and side/back passes when he's up there.
at least he's got the pace to track the opposition when they have the ball
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Hazy2 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:15 am

dick dastardley wrote:Navas in time probably turn out to be a better right back than a winger, he can't cross never scores and side/back passes when he's up there.
at least he's got the pace to track the opposition when they have the ball

Back up at best DD but going to be targeted, he cannot tackle he cannot head the ball and has a less than average 1st touch, anybody over 5'8 is going tgo get on the back stick and crush him and the back of the net. He is not an option when facing his own goals as he is the most nervous player I have seen since we became top 4/5.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby littlebig » Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Navas is limited yes but he's a great squad player to have.

I would echo concerns about academy lads not coming thru but Navas will do a decent job at right back / right wing. Decent utility player who are always useful to have on the bench.

The other thing is his experience, good to have senior lads around the place. He seems like a good lad too which is good for club culture.

In saying that, I hope we sign a decent right back so that Navas is only called on as a sub / rotation player.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum