Navas at right back

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas at right back

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:26 am

He always gives his all and i think he has played well in the games he has played at full back but our full backs need to involved in our attack and navas just does not have the quality required

More than once yesterday he had the chance to play balls in behind. Our attackers had moved the defenders and started the run, navas either didnt see it or didnt believe he could thread the pass.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:49 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:He always gives his all and i think he has played well in the games he has played at full back but our full backs need to involved in our attack and navas just does not have the quality required

More than once yesterday he had the chance to play balls in behind. Our attackers had moved the defenders and started the run, navas either didnt see it or didnt believe he could thread the pass.

With respect I am completely at a loss to understand that post. Navas has played his entire career until now as an attacking wide midfielder, his new role as a full back exposes a lack of tackling and defensive positioning experience but he's still done remarkably well.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 am

A very solid performance for me yesterday! I have good feelings Navas will be confirmed for next Sunday!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sister of fu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 am

Navas had a hand in some capacity or other in all three goals yesterday and played his part in keeping a clear sheet. Yeah he isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has never ever moaned and just gets on with what ever job he is asked to do. Can't really fault what he has done since reverting to a RB.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:34 am

For me he did well yesterday, his pace helped out a lot and put pressure on them throughout
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 am

Don't know what people have been watching, he's been brilliant for the last couple of games, as Fu said, he was involved in all three goals yesterday.
I think he's suffering from Edgehill syndrome, and gets shit he doesn't deserve.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:He's not been good there for my money. Wingers haven't run at him enough because his positioning and body shape to defend the byline has been quite poor. He is a solid ball player tho so pep likes him there. Not for me.

Not sure that makes a lot of sense! If his positioning and body shape was poor don't you think the wingers would have had a go at him all the more. Or maybe they didn't because his positioning and body shape was actually pretty good?

He's done really well there but isn't a permanent solution

It makes sense just fine. I've seen him under no real threat turn 180 and be miles away. The fact that he got Sanchez uninterested and at his lowest ebb for arsenal is just dumb luck.

He's not a tackler, doesn't mark tight and is not in sync with the rest of the team. Let's not forget before yesterday his stint at RB has come in the middle of our longest run without a win as well.

I'm struggling here too mate, why would his poor body shape and positioning stop wingers Running at him

I think he just doesn't like Navas so it doesn't matter
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 am

johnny crossan wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:He always gives his all and i think he has played well in the games he has played at full back but our full backs need to involved in our attack and navas just does not have the quality required

With respect I am completely at a loss to understand that post. Navas has played his entire career until now as an attacking wide midfielder, his new role as a full back exposes a lack of tackling and defensive positioning experience but he's still done remarkably well.

Just because he had played his entire career as an attacker does not mean he has the attacking qualities we need. His finishing is poor, his crossing is average and his link up play is average.

In relation to our full backs, i think Pep wants a full back who will be involved in the attack 70% of the game and the other 30% tracking runners/closing space/keeping shape.

Navas has shown he can do the 30% fairly well but he is still average in the attacking portion which is going to be vital to us
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:He's not been good there for my money. Wingers haven't run at him enough because his positioning and body shape to defend the byline has been quite poor. He is a solid ball player tho so pep likes him there. Not for me.

Not sure that makes a lot of sense! If his positioning and body shape was poor don't you think the wingers would have had a go at him all the more. Or maybe they didn't because his positioning and body shape was actually pretty good?

He's done really well there but isn't a permanent solution

It makes sense just fine. I've seen him under no real threat turn 180 and be miles away. The fact that he got Sanchez uninterested and at his lowest ebb for arsenal is just dumb luck.

He's not a tackler, doesn't mark tight and is not in sync with the rest of the team. Let's not forget before yesterday his stint at RB has come in the middle of our longest run without a win as well.

I'm struggling here too mate, why would his poor body shape and positioning stop wingers Running at him

I think he just doesn't like Navas so it doesn't matter

I like Navas fine. He's just past it and doesn't score goals. I like Joe Hart and I wouldn't play him at right back either.

His poor positioning didn't stop anyone running at him, they just didn't. A bit like the first time Elano played right back and then they did and it stopped being a good idea. Navas twists and turns at the wrong time defensively and mark my word if he stays there someone will mug him off and it will stop being an option. Bury your heads if you like, it was a nice game to watch and I'm happy too. One day though if this continues it will be a stick to beat Pep with, I'm sure of it.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Wooders » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:01 pm

don't be daft
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 pm

patrickblue wrote:Don't know what people have been watching, he's been brilliant for the last couple of games, as Fu said, he was involved in all three goals yesterday.
I think he's suffering from Edgehill syndrome, and gets shit he doesn't deserve.

He's been brilliant when there is ZERO pressure. Against top teams he would be eaten alive at right back. And I don't hate Navas at all. If we'd be upper mid-table side that playswith traditional 4-4-2 (or 3-5-2) with wingers playing wide and not cutting in I'd actually quite like him.

Fullback is a defender though and needs to know how to defend first and foremost. He doesn't.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Don't know what people have been watching, he's been brilliant for the last couple of games, as Fu said, he was involved in all three goals yesterday.

He's been brilliant when there is ZERO pressure. Against top teams he would be eaten alive at right back. And I don't hate Navas at all. If we'd be upper mid-table side that playswith traditional 4-4-2 (or 3-5-2) with wingers playing wide and not cutting in I'd actually quite like him.

Fullback is a defender though and needs to know how to defend first and foremost. He doesn't.

I am not sure that a full-back is a defender in Guardiola's system these days. I would say the two central midfielders' defensive skills are more important than that of the full-backs, mate.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Navas has done his job at RB (and pretty much throughout his City career if we're honest) but he is no long term solution there.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby edge275 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Navas can't even play as a winger nevermind as a right back. Complete shite. Get rid.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Sister of fu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:11 pm

He played in games against Arsenal and Chelsea up against Sanchez and Hazard. Not at fault for any of the goals and not ripped a new arsehole. Not sure who you view as top teams in the Premier League?

Everyone knows we will get a new right back in the summer so everyone can stop with the moaning about Navas, he won't be here come summer. There will be some other poor fucker that will be snipped at.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Sister of fu wrote:

He played in games against Arsenal and Chelsea up against Sanchez and Hazard. Not at fault for any of the goals and not ripped a new arsehole. Not sure who you view as top teams in the Premier League?

Everyone knows we will get a new right back in the summer so everyone can stop with the moaning about Navas, he won't be here come summer. There will be some other poor fucker that will be snipped at.

I was going to mention Arse and Chelsea, but TBH, couldn't be arsed, (see what I did there).
You're 100% right though sis, there always has to be a scapegoat.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:55 am

I've never understood the vitriol poured this lads way.
Sis summed it up perfectly about him. He's never done anything less than his best no matter what he's been asked to do.
I don't think he'll be here next season so don't see him as a long term solution for anywhere, but I don't think he deserves half the reputation he has on here.

He may not be good enough for our ambitions, but I think he has taken the rap on a lot of occasions for some fans blinkered opinions of their firm favourites who should have been seen as equally culpable, if not more so.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:I've never understood the vitriol poured this lads way.
Sis summed it up perfectly about him. He's never done anything less than his best no matter what he's been asked to do.
I don't think he'll be here next season so don't see him as a long term solution for anywhere, but I don't think he deserves half the reputation he has on here.

He may not be good enough for our ambitions, but I think he has taken the rap on a lot of occasions for some fans blinkered opinions of their firm favourites who should have been seen as equally culpable, if not more so.

Again I'm not filled with hate or anything, but an attacker that hasn't scored in two years definitely needs to be looked at to a certain extent. He's never been accused of not trying, but he's definitely not up to standard anymore and converting him to a full back is football manager stuff in my opinion. When he goes I'll wish him well. He's an honest pro who did a good job when he first got here. Time has simply passed him by now.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby aaron bond » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 am

He had a decent game on Sunday but he's no long term solution.

With Sagna out and Pep finally acknowledging that Zab's legs have gone it is a bit of a shame we are resorting to converting midfielders to right back instead of giving a youngster a chance.

When is the right time to try a youngster if the 2 first team right backs are not available? We seem to be more interested in putting the youth players out on loan for income (similar to Chelsea) instead of finding them a path to the first team.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dameerto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 am

He made it into Garth (Jabba The) Crooks' team of the week - along with Vinnie and Sane.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum