Navas at right back

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas at right back

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote: but an attacker that hasn't scored in two years definitely needs to be looked at to a certain extent.

This is the only season he hasn't scored a goal. Granted he has only scored 8 goals in his 4 seasons here, 6 of them in his first season.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Don't know what people have been watching, he's been brilliant for the last couple of games, as Fu said, he was involved in all three goals yesterday.
I think he's suffering from Edgehill syndrome, and gets shit he doesn't deserve.

He's been brilliant when there is ZERO pressure. Against top teams he would be eaten alive at right back. And I don't hate Navas at all. If we'd be upper mid-table side that playswith traditional 4-4-2 (or 3-5-2) with wingers playing wide and not cutting in I'd actually quite like him.

Fullback is a defender though and needs to know how to defend first and foremost. He doesn't.

He played in games against Arsenal and Chelsea up against Sanchez and Hazard. Not at fault for any of the goals and not ripped a new arsehole. Not sure who you view as top teams in the Premier League?

Everyone knows we will get a new right back in the summer so everyone can stop with the moaning about Navas, he won't be here come summer. There will be some other poor fucker that will be snipped at.

He wasn't brilliant (as mentioned on the post I was quoting) against Arsenal or Chelsea.

And what gives you the impression that I'm moaning about Navas? He is ok winger playing out of position.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby patrickblue » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Don't know what people have been watching, he's been brilliant for the last couple of games, as Fu said, he was involved in all three goals yesterday.
I think he's suffering from Edgehill syndrome, and gets shit he doesn't deserve.

He's been brilliant when there is ZERO pressure. Against top teams he would be eaten alive at right back. And I don't hate Navas at all. If we'd be upper mid-table side that playswith traditional 4-4-2 (or 3-5-2) with wingers playing wide and not cutting in I'd actually quite like him.

Fullback is a defender though and needs to know how to defend first and foremost. He doesn't.

He played in games against Arsenal and Chelsea up against Sanchez and Hazard. Not at fault for any of the goals and not ripped a new arsehole. Not sure who you view as top teams in the Premier League?

Everyone knows we will get a new right back in the summer so everyone can stop with the moaning about Navas, he won't be here come summer. There will be some other poor fucker that will be snipped at.

He wasn't brilliant (as mentioned on the post I was quoting) against Arsenal or Chelsea.

And he certainly wasn't eaten alive.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Dameerto wrote:He made it into Garth (Jabba The) Crooks' team of the week - along with Vinnie and Sane.

Oh my goodness.

Thanks for that D; I was feeling the need to be underwhelmed by something/anything and that fits the bill perfectly. ;) ;)

Another corpulent, clueless, pontificating ex 'player' stealing a living from being associated with the game.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote: but an attacker that hasn't scored in two years definitely needs to be looked at to a certain extent.

This is the only season he hasn't scored a goal. Granted he has only scored 8 goals in his 4 seasons here, 6 of them in his first season.

Not sure if you're debating my point or adding merit to it there :)
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby dazby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 pm

The big issue for me is that he doesn't effectively use the skills he possesses. The guy is rapid- yet will always, always stop before taking on a defender in a foot race and making half a yard before lamely having a block crossed.
He has no tricks so his only way of beating a player is the aforementioned example.
On the occasions when he does win the football e and get a cross in his success percentage in finding a teammate is unbelievably low.
And he no longer scores so any defender knows they only need to cover the pass.

In short a player that hasn't reached his potential at our club. He gets stick because the fans express their frustration about this.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am

dazby wrote:The big issue for me is that he doesn't effectively use the skills he possesses. The guy is rapid- yet will always, always stop before taking on a defender in a foot race and making half a yard before lamely having a block crossed.
He has no tricks so his only way of beating a player is the aforementioned example.
On the occasions when he does win the football e and get a cross in his success percentage in finding a teammate is unbelievably low.
And he no longer scores so any defender knows they only need to cover the pass.

In short a player that hasn't reached his potential at our club. He gets stick because the fans express their frustration about this.

Interesting technical piece of footballing skill you mention there Dazzer.

Not many players can manage to do that successfully :roll: :roll:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby edge275 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

Sister of fu wrote:

The moaning is justified because it is ludicrous in the first place that we are having to play a player who is shit in his normal position, out of position!

The fact that the richest club in the world is playing Navas at full back is almost unfathomable, but unfortunately is reality.

Pep has made a ton of mistakes this season and if it wasn't for his reputation I'd be calling for his head.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Navas played excellent at the weekend. Redmond is having a good season and was snuffed out by Navas. It was also his excellent shot that Forster tipped over for he corner we scored from.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:

Not sure if you're debating my point or adding merit to it there :)

I have no clue myself. :lol:
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Couodn't mark his man in their equaliser at all. Which isn't surprising considering HE ISN'T A FUCKING DEFENDER.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Did he not pick up the other bloke? Was it more that Sterling didn't track back? Agreed though he isn't a RB, but says a lot about Pep's opinion of Zabba
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Dunnylad wrote:Did he not pick up the other bloke? Was it more that Sterling didn't track back? Agreed though he isn't a RB, but says a lot about Pep's opinion of Zabba

Which in turn says lot about how much he understands about defending.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Couodn't mark his man in their equaliser at all. Which isn't surprising considering HE ISN'T A FUCKING DEFENDER.

He had two players to meal and had to pick one of them. As all game after Stirling came on.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Couodn't mark his man in their equaliser at all. Which isn't surprising considering HE ISN'T A FUCKING DEFENDER.

He was marking his man , he made the fatal mistake of not trying to head the ball away - a la Kane yesterday.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 pm

I thought he had a so.id enough game. Sterling was anonymous after he came on, yet he still got forward to support even though he didn't get much in return. No, he is not the long term solution but he is proving a capable deputy
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:19 pm

He did what he could when Sterling wasn't covering his man and both centrebacks were covering giroud.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Spurge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:06 am

#scapegoat

I would say post once you've calmed down though not sure it would necessarily make any difference.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:14 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

He did what he could when Sterling wasn't covering his man and both centrebacks were covering giroud.

True, wtf were both centre backs doing covering Giroud? And to think they are FUCKING DEFENDERS.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 am

Dunnylad wrote:Did he not pick up the other bloke? Was it more that Sterling didn't track back? Agreed though he isn't a RB, but says a lot about Pep's opinion of Zabba

Which in turn says lot about how much he understands about defending.

I know as per your rant in the other thread that it's not on to speak ill of a player that's universally loved but seeing as you seem to understand defending can you tell me why Kompany went to mark a man that was already marked?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum