Navas at right back

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas at right back

Postby Hazy2 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:wow so much hate!! i must be the only one who appreciates him for what he is: a useful squad player on reasonable wages. works hard, keeps possession, never moans to the press, does what he's asked to do, rarely injured, doesn't get sent off/give away stupid freekicks, and can be a good outlet on the break when used properly.

I like your positivity, however he is the biggest fraud since George Weah's brother was signed by Souness. Running about checking back, never beating a man, hitting the first man. Need I go on ,he frustrates the bejesus out of me. Since he arrived he has not improved 1%, worst of all he is a coward, Sorry a very rich coward !

Fraud? A bit harsh, don't you think? If he is a fraud, what makes Otamendi?

Nope a fucking Nancy,The same a total waste of money.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm

From Pep's perspective, I can see how extending Navas' contract for another year makes some sense, as there are so many areas of the team/squad that need to be strengthened this summer, which is going to be a massively expensive undertaking.

Pep may or may not know how much he has got to play with in the transfer kitty and this might, to his eyes, be seen as a 'stop gap' way (sort of) of helping address the full back problem just for another year.

Earlier this season, several of us on this forum (myself included) wondered if Navas could re-invent himself as a full back for the overall benefit of the team and, to my mind, he now needs to work hard in training and in pre-season games to improve the defensive side of his game, in a way he probably has never had to do before.

In criticising his game, we're all probably, consciously or otherwise, comparing him with PabZab, who played the attacking full back/wing back role with consummate skill, determination and energy, frequently popping up in the opposition goal area, often in the old inside right position, to deadly effect.

Navas is never going to exhibit the same degree of acumen in this role as PabZab, but if he tries to model himself on our Argentinian Iron Man and conduct himself in similar fashion, he might do a more useful job than some might expect.

Having said all that, however, the sad aspect is that by continuing with Navas in this position, it may well be that bringing in a youngster from the EDS has been rendered an even more remote proposition, as we probably will be buying bigger name full backs as well, in the summer.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Spurge » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 pm

phips wrote:he'll be gone this summer.

Or perhaps not
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Spurge » Tue May 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:wow so much hate!! i must be the only one who appreciates him for what he is: a useful squad player on reasonable wages. works hard, keeps possession, never moans to the press, does what he's asked to do, rarely injured, doesn't get sent off/give away stupid freekicks, and can be a good outlet on the break when used properly.

Not quite the only one check out the first post which kicked this thread off.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Spurge wrote:

if i'd told you 4 years ago that in the summer of 2017 with pep guardiola at the helm that we'd be converting a mediocre right winger into a fullback i'd have been laughed off the site
this is seriously fucking embarrassing
the spafia have taken some of you for a massive ride
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Yaya too!
(according to the unprintable one)

That wouldn't surprise me.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm

City64 wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Hate to be controversial but I'm waiting for the sound heads to come on and tell us how this is a good decision.

Makes us wonder why they are letting this info out so early ? hardly fills us all with confidence does it ?

Season ticket drive.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

he epitomises everything that has gone wrong with the club since cook left....
cook's leadership won our trophies.

Without a shadow of a doubt we miss Cook, and for lots of reasons (not least his affinity with the fans that kept the rest of the club close to us).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 pm

The only way to reconcile myself to this unpalatable story is to persist in my belief it is merely a dysinformational tactic designed to improve Sevilla's wage offer to him.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby aaron bond » Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:From Pep's perspective, I can see how extending Navas' contract for another year makes some sense, as there are so many areas of the team/squad that need to be strengthened this summer, which is going to be a massively expensive undertaking.

Pep may or may not know how much he has got to play with in the transfer kitty and this might, to his eyes, be seen as a 'stop gap' way (sort of) of helping address the full back problem just for another year.

Earlier this season, several of us on this forum (myself included) wondered if Navas could re-invent himself as a full back for the overall benefit of the team and, to my mind, he now needs to work hard in training and in pre-season games to improve the defensive side of his game, in a way he probably has never had to do before.

In criticising his game, we're all probably, consciously or otherwise, comparing him with PabZab, who played the attacking full back/wing back role with consummate skill, determination and energy, frequently popping up in the opposition goal area, often in the old inside right position, to deadly effect.

Navas is never going to exhibit the same degree of acumen in this role as PabZab, but if he tries to model himself on our Argentinian Iron Man and conduct himself in similar fashion, he might do a more useful job than some might expect.

Having said all that, however, the sad aspect is that by continuing with Navas in this position, it may well be that bringing in a youngster from the EDS has been rendered an even more remote proposition, as we probably will be buying bigger name full backs as well, in the summer.

Your last paragraph is the biggest issue for me.

Why can't we buy 1 new full back and promote a youngster from the EDS so we have 2 people for the position?

Can we really not produce a right back who is as good as Navas?

The club keeps promising year after year that our investment in the academy will bear fruit but the reality is that we have no interest in developing regulars for the first team. Our focus seems to be more in line with Chelsea which is to develop youngsters for loan or sale deals.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 am

Navas is the Lidl level of right back.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 am

aaron bond wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:From Pep's perspective, I can see how extending Navas' contract for another year makes some sense, as there are so many areas of the team/squad that need to be strengthened this summer, which is going to be a massively expensive undertaking.

Your last paragraph is the biggest issue for me.

Why can't we buy 1 new full back and promote a youngster from the EDS so we have 2 people for the position?

Can we really not produce a right back who is as good as Navas?

The club keeps promising year after year that our investment in the academy will bear fruit but the reality is that we have no interest in developing regulars for the first team. Our focus seems to be more in line with Chelsea which is to develop youngsters for loan or sale deals.

It's my biggest concern too but there again this doesn't necessarily mean that Maffeo won't get his chance, perhaps another year at Girona before a decision is made on his future and this new deal for Navas is a cheap stop gap until that decision is made?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Spurge » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:

if i'd told you 4 years ago that in the summer of 2017 with pep guardiola at the helm that we'd be converting a mediocre right winger into a fullback i'd have been laughed off the site
this is seriously fucking embarrassing
the spafia have taken some of you for a massive ride

I'm sure the recent strong links with Kyle Walker - the current England right back who plays in what many regard as the best defence in the premier league have not gone unnoticed by you. Navas will be used as a backup and utility player and makes sense.

You can be embarrassed if you want but if you had told me pep was gonna turn a mediocre right winger into a full back this summer 4 years ago, I'd have said that's why he's considered the best coach in the business
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sheblue » Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 am

No problem with Navas being used as a SHORT TERM RB back up, assuming a first choice RB is brought in during the summer.
Cant see the problem in it.
One of clichy and kola will stay as well.
We cant throw out 8 players in one window.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 am

Great post.

It's not the disaster that some are portraying as he has been a reasonable deputy there recently. But I am very underwhelmed by this. If, as we are to believe, that full backs and the role they play are an integral part of the way Pep likes his team to play, then surely a lad from the academy who has presumably been coached in this way since Peps arrival, would be a better bet as a deputy to a summer signing than a winger who has played a handful of games?

Also, what message does it send out to other prospects in the Academy? That you have little to no chance of making it with us? Maybe Maffeo isn't good enough. Maybe he will get found out at the highest level. But, unless he is given a chance, A - we will never know if he is good enough and we reduce the chance of another Ben Mee or Keiron Trippier emerging somewhere else ( both of whom are way ahead now of our existing full backs by the way) and B - even if he is found wanting, the bigger picture of giving inspiration and hope to other lads in the Academy that they CAN make it as well will be beneficial in the long run.

Navas is an honest pro who doesn't shy away and always puts a shift in. Ten years ago he would've been our star player. But times change as they say and to challenge at the very top table you need guile and craft as well as grit and determination. If Navas is the answer, then I do wonder what the question was
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 am

nottsblue wrote:

Great post.

It's not the disaster that some are portraying as he has been a reasonable deputy there recently. But I am very underwhelmed by this. If, as we are to believe, that full backs and the role they play are an integral part of the way Pep likes his team to play, then surely a lad from the academy who has presumably been coached in this way since Peps arrival, would be a better bet as a deputy to a summer signing than a winger who has played a handful of games?

Also, what message does it send out to other prospects in the Academy? That you have little to no chance of making it with us? Maybe Maffeo isn't good enough. Maybe he will get found out at the highest level. But, unless he is given a chance, A - we will never know if he is good enough and we reduce the chance of another Ben Mee or Keiron Trippier emerging somewhere else ( both of whom are way ahead now of our existing full backs by the way) and B - even if he is found wanting, the bigger picture of giving inspiration and hope to other lads in the Academy that they CAN make it as well will be beneficial in the long run.

Navas is an honest pro who doesn't shy away and always puts a shift in. Ten years ago he would've been our star player. But times change as they say and to challenge at the very top table you need guile and craft as well as grit and determination. If Navas is the answer, then I do wonder what the question was

Good posts, pity they did not apply the same logic to Hart.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am

mr_nool wrote:

I totally sign up to this view. Seasoned professional who can deputies in more than one position. Not a world beater, but we will struggle to find a better option that's willing to play a bit-part role. I'm sure Pep will give any youngster the nod who shows he's worth it, but it's great to have some experience (whose legs haven't gone yet) as backup as well.

I'm with you guys.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 am

You can say what you will, but this thread has certainly sparked some excellent debating points and has been marked by some fine and differing opinions expressed, which have made highly interesting reading.

I, personally, would just like to say a "well done" to all who have posted here as it's been a pleasure to read through what's been written by each of you :) .........

......and World War III hasn't broken out over it.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john68 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 am

We have yet to find out whether Pep is a genius with us or not but genius or not, I don't think even God could make much sense of our aging defence. "The spirit is willing but dragging yer arse up and down a wing for over 90mins twice a week at this high level is a job for younger men than Peop has had available.
Our defensive frailties were the reason that I considered this season a write off before a ball had been kicked.

We know that Pep and the club were well aware of the situation as we tried and failed in 7 bids for defensive players in the close season. Even with the micro changes to our defensive strategies, This season has always been a defensive 'make do and mend' thing. Having Kompany out for most of it was also crucial, whilst the form of Bravo has been on occasions tragic.

Navas is another 'make do and mend', 'get us through the season' device that is not ideal but one that Pep has sought to make the best of with the tools he was stuck with. Navas, not a natural defender has done a decent job under the circumstances.

I watch the kids quite a lot and get reports from a qualified coach mate of mine when I miss games. Academies are not instant, they take years to bear fruit and we have some good talent to bring through. But considering the talent we have, and considering the job they will be asked to do, it is still to early for some of our brightest stars to be asked to cope with the standard of opposition City are attempting to compete with in the future. We are not looking for a useful or even a good defender, he has to be world class if he hopes to figure for us in the future.

It is inconceivable that we will get the defensive plqayers we want in just one more transfer window and though I see improvements next year,I see us still being weak at the back over the season.

Navas has done his job, a hardworking, experienced, international player, learning a new trade, under a new system was always going to be a risk.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed May 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Spurge wrote:

fair dos. should have read father back.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum