Pep Guardian football genius

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep Guardian football genius

Postby zabbadabbado » Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 am

I think most of us expected a transitional Season. Silverware would have been nice if it happened. If it didn't happen, it wouldn't be so bad, the football we were being served up every week, would make it all worth the while.

This is the problem, the football on the whole has been boring tippy tappy,dull,coma inducing shit. I keep hearing wait until he gets all his own players in, then we will see it was all worth the wait. I hope that is the case.

But what about this turgid season he just served up ?.If he didn't have all his own players in, as some keep reminding us, and those he inherited obviously couldn't play his revolutionary, expansive, style, then why the fuck has he just wasted a whole season flogging a dead Horse. Knowing full well those players were not good enough for his style, and would be shown the Door at the end of the season, replaced by players who can play his style. I seriously can’t get my head around this.This annoys the shit out of me more than anything.Hardly making the Sum bigger than its parts, as a good manager should do as a basic.

I would have thought a manager of his supposed calibre would have looked at the Tools he had to work with on arriving, and adapted his style for the season accordingly.Shown a bit of pragmatism for one season, until he had the right tools to work with. Instead all we got was his over inflated Ego,I wont compromise my style, or my philosophy for no man type Bull shit, and English Football is over rated blah,blah. I think we all knew Joe Hart had no long term future under Guardiola. Still he should only have been replaced with the rest of the supposed dead wood at the end of this Season. We already had a dodgy, ageing defence when he got rid of Joe and replaced him with a Keeper good with his feet, but shit with his hands, It made no sense.He made our defence fundamentally much worse.

I don’t think were good enough to win the League this season. Still I am convinced had we kept Joe for this Season. And our super intelligent Bald Football Oracle had shown a bit of pragmatism, adapting his tactics to the player’s limitations we would have had a much better season than we have had under him. And would not now be worrying about our top 4 place. I think his Ego got in the way of common sense far too often for my liking, to the detriment of City and our results. All he needed to do was show a bit of pragmatism

I have been very under whelmed by his own obvious limitations this season.

Big next Season for him coming up

unless of course he throws a Sicky, or goes back to Barcelona.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 am

zabbadabbado wrote:I think most of us expected a transitional Season. Silverware would have been nice if it happened. If it didn't happen, it wouldn't be so bad, the football we were being served up every week, would make it all worth the while.

This is the problem, the football on the whole has been boring tippy tappy,dull,coma inducing shit. I keep hearing wait until he gets all his own players in, then we will see it was all worth the wait. I hope that is the case.

But what about this turgid season he just served up ?.If he didn't have all his own players in, as some keep reminding us, and those he inherited obviously couldn't play his revolutionary, expansive, style, then why the fuck has he just wasted a whole season flogging a dead Horse. Knowing full well those players were not good enough for his style, and would be shown the Door at the end of the season, replaced by players who can play his style. I seriously can’t get my head around this.This annoys the shit out of me more than anything.Hardly making the Sum bigger than its parts, as a good manager should do as a basic.

I would have thought a manager of his supposed calibre would have looked at the Tools he had to work with on arriving, and adapted his style for the season accordingly.Shown a bit of pragmatism for one season, until he had the right tools to work with. Instead all we got was his over inflated Ego,I wont compromise my style, or my philosophy for no man type Bull shit, and English Football is over rated blah,blah. I think we all knew Joe Hart had no long term future under Guardiola. Still he should only have been replaced with the rest of the supposed dead wood at the end of this Season. We already had a dodgy, ageing defence when he got rid of Joe and replaced him with a Keeper good with his feet, but shit with his hands, It made no sense.He made our defence fundamentally much worse.

I don’t think were good enough to win the League this season. Still I am convinced had we kept Joe for this Season. And our super intelligent Bald Football Oracle had shown a bit of pragmatism, adapting his tactics to the player’s limitations we would have had a much better season than we have had under him. And would not now be worrying about our top 4 place. I think his Ego got in the way of common sense far too often for my liking, to the detriment of City and our results. All he needed to do was show a bit of pragmatism

Sums it up to be fair.
We know we have been fucked by the refs all season but I also remember numerous games whereby we lost points due to his fuckign bizarre stubburness to continually play players that shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

I've said all along that I do not expect him to win everything in sight but I do expect and DEMAND that we end up in the top 3...right now Im shitting it that we get into the top fucking 4 and that's a disgrace considering all that has been at PEPS disposal.

He is an arrogant Catalan (most are from that part of Spain )who thought the prem was like any other league.Hopefully the penny has fuckign dropped and he now gets it !

It's been a boring mundane season and one that I can't wait to be over.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:I think most of us expected a transitional Season. Silverware would have been nice if it happened. If it didn't happen, it wouldn't be so bad, the football we were being served up every week, would make it all worth the while.

Sums it up to be fair.
We know we have been fucked by the refs all season but I also remember numerous games whereby we lost points due to his fuckign bizarre stubburness to continually play players that shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

I've said all along that I do not expect him to win everything in sight but I do expect and DEMAND that we end up in the top 3...right now Im shitting it that we get into the top fucking 4 and that's a disgrace considering all that has been at PEPS disposal.

He is an arrogant Catalan (most are from that part of Spain )who thought the prem was like any other league.Hopefully the penny has fuckign dropped and he now gets it !

It's been a boring mundane season and one that I can't wait to be over.

Let's nit forget we cannot finish our Dinner, Everton at home"....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 am

Just playing devil's advocate here but perhaps he saw it as more beneficial long term to get a season of playing his way under their belt will stand to them next season, practice makes perfect and all that.
Then again, perhaps you're right, perhaps Pep is the egotistical cunt you describe him as.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby gmercer1 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 am

The thing I don't understand is at the beginning of the season it was all about the high press and getting the ball back within a certain amount of time of losing it. Some games we looked on fire and really fought hard to get it back.
Those days seem to have gone and we seem so slow.
Maybe it's because teams just park the Bus now I'm not sure. All I do know is we better buck up next season as I've had enough of this one.
Deep down I do think he'll come good,but what is worrying is extending contracts of players like Navas who just isn't good enough for the level we should be aiming for.
Roll on next season
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 am

gmercer1 wrote:The thing I don't understand is at the beginning of the season it was all about the high press and getting the ball back within a certain amount of time of losing it. Some games we looked on fire and really fought hard to get it back.
Those days seem to have gone and we seem so slow.
Maybe it's because teams just park the Bus now I'm not sure. All I do know is we better buck up next season as I've had enough of this one.
Deep down I do think he'll come good,but what is worrying is extending contracts of players like Navas who just isn't good enough for the level we should be aiming for.
Roll on next season

The much repeated explanation that Pep has simply failed to match his tactics to the abilities of the players fits the facts.
Feet of clay and upwards from there as well.

BookJunior wrote:I don't care about hairstyle as anyone who knows me will confirm. :roll:

Your own cranium is assuredly very fertile BJ, but just not upwards :)
Last edited by johnny crossan on Wed May 03, 2017 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Wooders » Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 am

I was bang up for writing this season off from the start when I saw that certain members off the squad were not getting shipped out under the faith that a lot of the ageing players are gonna leave this summer and we would have a transfer window to revitalise the squad under PEPs vision - now however I am reading reports that navas is staying and is going to be filling a key position (right back) that we need to strengthen and my faith is wavering big time
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby sheblue » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

I have an open mind on him and while I am surprised at some of the mistakes he has made I did not really expect much more from this season as a whole. Assuming we get some badly needed quality in the summer next season will be better but given the amount of work that needs to be done with the squad we may still not be good enough. Personally I think any manager, not only Pep, will need time to rebuild. I really would love to know who exactly would have taken the current squad and turn them into champions this season, in their first season.
That person does not exist.

The hierarchy are very committed to Pep. They were years trying to get him, we dont really know how long but they knew they wanted him and knew that he was coming for a long time. We hear stuff about players coming because of the manager, and his 'project'. Were in this very deep. I cant see the club doing anything other than backing him, even if it takes time, more time than the fans like.
I dont see him walking away from the challenge either.

But he has to cut out the mistakes. We can only assume that he will learn from them and learn from his first season, as many many other manager have done before him.

Its going to be an interesting summer.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 03, 2017 7:09 am

This article by Marty Perarnau, which he supposedly collaborated with, is disturbing to say the least

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

– Pep is not surprised that City’s season is ending trophyless and knew the first year would be difficult, with players adjusting to his tactics and system.

– The transition from the Pellegrini era to the Pep era was poor in terms of player acquisition, and City did not buy some of the players Guardiola wanted, including Leonardo Bonucci and Alex Sandro from Juventus.

– Pep’s feeling is that City has a squad lacking leadership, and Perarnau believes the team need more character, personality and courage to avoid situations like the collapse against Monaco in the Champions League.

– Before Pep arrived, there was a consensus that a cycle was over, one that started with Roberto Mancini and ended with Manuel Pellegrini. 14 players were over the age of 30 and many were injury prone, so City decided on a two-stage overhaul, with around six going last year, and the second stage to follow this summer.

– The injury to İlkay Gündogan had a big impact on City’s season, because Pep planned to turn the German midfielder into City’s version of Xavi at Barcelona and Thiago Alcántara at Bayern Munich.

– When Silva is injured, it always shows. Perarnau said that the feeling is when Silva is absent, the team “dies”.

– While he is adored by everyone at the club, Sergio Agüero has not become the dressing room leader City had hoped for, because of his personality type. There is a feeling that he hasn’t performed in decisive Champions League matches, such as the semi-final against Real Madrid.

– Agüero will most likely start next season as second choice to Gabriel Jesus, and will have to accept he is no longer an undisputed starter. City have not completely ruled out selling Kun, but only clubs in China could take on a contract like his.

– Manchester City are reviewing their high salaries because the current structure is making it very difficult for them to sell players. Pablo Zabaleta almost joined Roma, but the Serie A club could not match his salary and the deal collapsed. The likes of Samir Nasri, Joe Hart, Eliaquim Mangala and Wilfried Bony also had to be loaned out on big salaries.

– Willy Caballero could get a new contract because he responded so well when called into the side in place of the struggling Claudio Bravo.

– Nicolas Otamendi will almost certainly remain at the club next season, despite centre-back being one of City’s weaknesses this year. Guardiola has noted an improvement in Otamendi’s passing this season.

– Five or six new signings will arrive in the summer and Guardiola has learned that in the Premier League, he needs a bigger squad than he usually prefers due to the competitive nature.

– Guardiola’s priority this summer is to sign two or three full-backs and solve City’s biggest problem area.

– Guardiola has not ruled out signing a central defender or a striker (Alexis Sanchez is his preferred choice).
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Wed May 03, 2017 7:27 am

johnny crossan wrote:This article by Marty Perarnau, which he supposedly collaborated with, is disturbing to say the least

– Pep is not surprised that City’s season is ending trophyless and knew the first year would be difficult, with players adjusting to his tactics and system.

– The transition from the Pellegrini era to the Pep era was poor in terms of player acquisition, and City did not buy some of the players Guardiola wanted, including Leonardo Bonucci and Alex Sandro from Juventus.

– Pep’s feeling is that City has a squad lacking leadership, and Perarnau believes the team need more character, personality and courage to avoid situations like the collapse against Monaco in the Champions League.

– Before Pep arrived, there was a consensus that a cycle was over, one that started with Roberto Mancini and ended with Manuel Pellegrini. 14 players were over the age of 30 and many were injury prone, so City decided on a two-stage overhaul, with around six going last year, and the second stage to follow this summer.

– The injury to İlkay Gündogan had a big impact on City’s season, because Pep planned to turn the German midfielder into City’s version of Xavi at Barcelona and Thiago Alcántara at Bayern Munich.

– When Silva is injured, it always shows. Perarnau said that the feeling is when Silva is absent, the team “dies”.

– While he is adored by everyone at the club, Sergio Agüero has not become the dressing room leader City had hoped for, because of his personality type. There is a feeling that he hasn’t performed in decisive Champions League matches, such as the semi-final against Real Madrid.

– Agüero will most likely start next season as second choice to Gabriel Jesus, and will have to accept he is no longer an undisputed starter. City have not completely ruled out selling Kun, but only clubs in China could take on a contract like his.

– Manchester City are reviewing their high salaries because the current structure is making it very difficult for them to sell players. Pablo Zabaleta almost joined Roma, but the Serie A club could not match his salary and the deal collapsed. The likes of Samir Nasri, Joe Hart, Eliaquim Mangala and Wilfried Bony also had to be loaned out on big salaries.

– Willy Caballero could get a new contract because he responded so well when called into the side in place of the struggling Claudio Bravo.

– Nicolas Otamendi will almost certainly remain at the club next season, despite centre-back being one of City’s weaknesses this year. Guardiola has noted an improvement in Otamendi’s passing this season.

– Five or six new signings will arrive in the summer and Guardiola has learned that in the Premier League, he needs a bigger squad than he usually prefers due to the competitive nature.

– Guardiola’s priority this summer is to sign two or three full-backs and solve City’s biggest problem area.

– Guardiola has not ruled out signing a central defender or a striker (Alexis Sanchez is his preferred choice).

It shouldn't really be disturbing, there is nothing in it we didnt know already and its quite accurate.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 am

johnny crossan wrote:This article by Marty Perarnau, which he supposedly collaborated with, is disturbing to say the least

Should be pointed out that Perenau tweeted this in response to the article:

"Hi guys, thanks a lot but many of these points are info or opinion from the author of the piece, not from myself (ie, David Silva or Kun)"
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 am

sheblue wrote:It shouldn't really be disturbing, there is nothing in it we didn't know already and its quite accurate.

I find it disturbing that he is not surprised by the rubbish he and his team have served up in key games this season and also, if it is indeed accurate, that we have no plans to strengthen midfield.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 am

sheblue wrote:It shouldn't really be disturbing, there is nothing in it we didnt know already and its quite accurate.

I'd say Agüero has constantly helped us out in the Champion's league and has won us games we didn't look like winning. And to blame him for the Real Madrid loss is absurd.

And he didn't get all the transfers he wanted? Cry me a river, which manager does? Plus we started purchasing players for Pep one season before he came here.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
sheblue wrote:It shouldn't really be disturbing, there is nothing in it we didnt know already and its quite accurate.

I'd say Agüero has constantly helped us out in the Champion's league and has won us games we didn't look like winning. And to blame him for the Real Madrid loss is absurd.

And he didn't get all the transfers he wanted? Cry me a river, which manager does? Plus we started purchasing players for Pep one season before he came here.

On Aguero, that's the reason I put Perenau's tweet in there. This is just the author's opinion, nothing more.

I do believe Aguero has in general underperformed in Europe though. This season he scored in just 2 games from 7, last season he scored in just 2 games from 9.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

On Aguero, that's the reason I put Perenau's tweet in there. This is just the author's opinion, nothing more.

I do believe Aguero has in general underperformed in Europe though. This season he scored in just 2 games from 7, last season he scored in just 2 games from 9.

I think that's closer to the mark. His last two seasons in the CL (but the seasons before he scored six in six and seven games respectively) have been poor and although he's still banging them in in the league he seems to have acquired a brick for a foot most of the times and he's not as fast as he used to be. Perhaps he just peaked two seasons ago? Considering all his injuries and the fact that he was rushed out to play as soon as his injuries had healed sufficiently, I wouldn't find it surprising.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 03, 2017 11:06 am

Nicolas Otamendi ---- I didn't want to read anymore after that.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Cheers Carl,
Despite what we would like or what the media hype says. that is pretty much the general situation we find ourselves in.

My thoughts are that the plan was to try and bring Pep in directly after Mancini but for some reason it never happened. The idea of Pep taking over that squad when it had legs to run and then evolving it could have been amazing.
I wonder if our owners put us on hold somewhat under Pellergrini, had us marking time (stagnating) until he agreed to come.
It means Pep's starting point is so much lower and the root and branch changes necessary now are so much bigger.
Do we blame the owners or is it all down to a poor job done by Txiki, failing to bring in what we need or landing the deals we wanted?
Like you and many others Carl, I'm not happy but feel we're stuck with what we've got.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby zabbadabbado » Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Wooders wrote:I was bang up for writing this season off from the start when I saw that certain members off the squad were not getting shipped out under the faith that a lot of the ageing players are gonna leave this summer and we would have a transfer window to revitalise the squad under PEPs vision - now however I am reading reports that navas is staying and is going to be filling a key position (right back) that we need to strengthen and my faith is wavering big time

What is black to us mere mortals is white to him. We expect a Goalkeeper to be good with his Hands. Guardiola is not that arsed about a keeper making saves. His philosophy is the opposition score 4, we will score 5,.He wants a Keeper to be good with his feet, rather than his hands. That is the reason he signed Bravo. I fully expect Bravo to be our Number 1 Keeper next season. I honestly don’t think he will get rid of him, His Ego won’t allow him to, Thank fuck he is injured otherwise Europa League would be a certain.

He plays Kolarov as a defender because he can ping a decent pass once in a Bluemoon, not because he can defend that well.

Why the fuck is he so obsessed with Navas. He finds opposition players 9 times out of 10 when crossing a Ball. He couldn’t find a blue shirt to cross to if his life depended on it. Yet I am hearing he wants to keep him as a utility player. What the fuck is that about really ?,Surely he should be one of the first out the door.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:
Wooders wrote:I was bang up for writing this season off from the start when I saw that certain members off the squad were not getting shipped out under the faith that a lot of the ageing players are gonna leave this summer and we would have a transfer window to revitalise the squad under PEPs vision - now however I am reading reports that navas is staying and is going to be filling a key position (right back) that we need to strengthen and my faith is wavering big time

What is black to us mere mortals is white to him. We expect a Goalkeeper to be good with his Hands. Guardiola is not that arsed about a keeper making saves. His philosophy is the opposition score 4, we will score 5,.He wants a Keeper to be good with his feet, rather than his hands. That is the reason he signed Bravo. I fully expect Bravo to be our Number 1 Keeper next season. I honestly don’t think he will get rid of him, His Ego won’t allow him to, Thank fuck he is injured otherwise Europa League would be a certain.

He plays Kolarov as a defender because he can ping a decent pass once in a Bluemoon, not because he can defend that well.

Why the fuck is he so obsessed with Navas. He finds opposition players 9 times out of 10 when crossing a Ball. He couldn’t find a blue shirt to cross to if his life depended on it. Yet I am hearing he wants to keep him as a utility player. What the fuck is that about really ?,Surely he should be one of the first out the door.

Who said this?

"The most important thing for keepers is to save the balls with their hands"
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:

Who said this?

"The most important thing for keepers is to save the balls with their hands"

Human resourses
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum