Pep Guardian football genius

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep Guardian football genius

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:More and more people asking the same questions that a few have been for some time now. Best in the world my arse.

I think they've been asked from the start, even when we went 10 unbeaten, we weren't convincing and once he started pissing about with 3 at the back, there was plenty of criticism.

We have had some appalling refereeing this season but when you take that way he has lost points out of stubbornness to play tactics that looked good in his head rather than the important part which is what is actually happening on the pitch.

The thing I will give him is that he hasn't had the defence required to challenge for the league but even then, he's been far worse than I thought he'd be.

Next season is where it's at, this one is now a write-off where our soul intent is to win the Wenger Trophy.

What the hell?

Essentially you agreed with everything I said to begin with. What was the point of the name name calling?

Eh, wtf are you on about? I have never been easy on Pep, I even started the Pep Out thread, but if you'd been around you'd have known.

I'm not going to waste my time going back over old posts to show context, but suffice to say, the reason I called you put was nothing to do with Guardiola, it was all about the timing of your appearance on the board and the wind ups you put out.

Now, do me a favour and just leave me alone. I'm trying to enjoy my last day in the UK, good company with my Mrs and listening to/reading the good work on here.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:More and more people asking the same questions that a few have been for some time now. Best in the world my arse.

I think they've been asked from the start, even when we went 10 unbeaten, we weren't convincing and once he started pissing about with 3 at the back, there was plenty of criticism.

We have had some appalling refereeing this season but when you take that way he has lost points out of stubbornness to play tactics that looked good in his head rather than the important part which is what is actually happening on the pitch.

The thing I will give him is that he hasn't had the defence required to challenge for the league but even then, he's been far worse than I thought he'd be.

Next season is where it's at, this one is now a write-off where our soul intent is to win the Wenger Trophy.

What the hell?

Essentially you agreed with everything I said to begin with. What was the point of the name name calling?

Eh, wtf are you on about? I have never been easy on Pep, I even started the Pep Out thread, but if you'd been around you'd have known.

I'm not going to waste my time going back over old posts to show context, but suffice to say, the reason I called you put was nothing to do with Guardiola, it was all about the timing of your appearance on the board and the wind ups you put out.

Now, do me a favour and just leave me alone. I'm trying to enjoy my last day in the UK, good company with my Mrs and listening to/reading the good work on here.

Fair enough.
Have a nice night. No sarcasm involved.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Leicester won the league with huth and Morgan. Pep would have done well to play a settled back four regardless of how crap they can be. He's fucked himself and us by constant needless tinkering.

Good point mate, it's his biggest failing imo. Whatever happens, at least keep a stable back four who get to know each others traits. The keeper issue is another one.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Leicester won the league with huth and Morgan. Pep would have done well to play a settled back four regardless of how crap they can be. He's fucked himself and us by constant needless tinkering.
Totally agree mate.

I keep hearing that players like Navas,Kolarov,Bravo will be shown the Door at the end of this season.

I am not so sure they will. Remember he has been choosing Navas at the expense of an established fullback, regardless of the fact he can’t cross to a City shirt. Choosing Kolarov as a defender not because he can defend, but because he can pass. He bought Bravo not because he is good with his hands, but because he is good with his feet.

The point I am making, the bald footballing Oracle don’t think like us mere mortals. What is black to us, is white to him.

We could very well start next season minus Aguero,still with Navas,Kolarov,Bravo.

Would you be surprised?,I know I wouldn’t.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby BookJunior » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Don't knwo what you mean by Pep's gang by the way. Ferran Soriano has been nothing short of excellent for us. Really improved the club from his position. Jury is still out with as his system needs certain type of defenders. It's Txiki really who should be shown the door.

Tried to buy a ticket for Spanair recently? The airbrushing of Soriano's career of enormous foul-ups is actually just nauseating. His alleged 'success' here is actually down solely to the work of Tom Glick and the only reason we employed him in the first place was to get Guardiola in 2015, which he conspicuously failed to do after the ham-fisted treatment of Mancini, largely down to him. He single-handedly caused us to fail the revised FFP criteria through sheer incompetence and cost the club 2 years of stagnation and enormous amounts of money.

Isn't Glick mostly a marketing man?
'Managing Director of City Football Marketing' does appear in his title along with 'Chief Commercial Officer of City Football Group' but he is the acknowledged business brain behind the club I'm told.

Ok.
To be fair I don't have that sort of knowledge of how the power is spread in our boardroom.

I've never heard of Tom Glick, but Marketing Director fits so much easier into his CV than the grandiose title you've given him. Chief Commercial Officer comes with the job.

In your case mate, the advice is "when in a hole, stop digging".
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby BookJunior » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Totally agree mate.

I keep hearing that players like Navas,Kolarov,Bravo will be shown the Door at the end of this season.

I am not so sure they will. Remember he has been choosing Navas at the expense of an established fullback, regardless of the fact he can’t cross to a City shirt. Choosing Kolarov as a defender not because he can defend, but because he can pass. He bought Bravo not because he is good with his hands, but because he is good with his feet.

The point I am making, the bald footballing Oracle don’t think like us mere mortals. What is black to us, is white to him.

We could very well start next season minus Aguero,still with Navas,Kolarov,Bravo.

Would you be surprised?,I know I wouldn’t.

Dear God I hope you are wrong. Years of pain lie ahead if that is the case.
BookJunior

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:35 pm

BookJunior wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
'Managing Director of City Football Marketing' does appear in his title along with 'Chief Commercial Officer of City Football Group' but he is the acknowledged business brain behind the club I'm told.

Ok.
To be fair I don't have that sort of knowledge of how the power is spread in our boardroom.

I've never heard of Tom Glick, but Marketing Director fits so much easier into his CV than the grandiose title you've given him. Chief Commercial Officer comes with the job.

What? I never gave him any title. Or are you referring to JC?

I said I thought he was a marketing man, essentially marketing director. Soriano on thenother hand is CEO and in every company I ever worked with marketing director answered to CEO. But where the REAL everyday power lies in each company differs. I have zero inside knowledge of where the power lies within the clubnso I have to assume all the good things that have happened to club off the pitch have been influenced by Sorriano.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BookJunior » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 pm

BookJunior wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Ok.

What? I never gave him any title. Or are you referring to JC?

I said I thought he was a marketing man, essentially marketing director. Soriano on thenother hand is CEO and in every company I ever worked with marketing director answered to CEO. But where the REAL everyday power lies in each company differs. I have zero inside knowledge of where the power lies within the clubnso I have to assume all the good things that have happened to club off the pitch have been influenced by Sorriano.

It's a fair point. My apologies.
BookJunior

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 pm

I dunno where I stand on pep. I just don't want to hear that he needs the best players in the world to succeed cos that's bollocks. He should be able to take this squad and get results in this league. It's simply not good enough so far.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:03 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I dunno where I stand on pep. I just don't want to hear that he needs the best players in the world to succeed cos that's bollocks. He should be able to take this squad and get results in this league. It's simply not good enough so far.

To be fair to him though, that defence really is terrible. Not that he has done much to improve it (and getting rid of Hart was shocking) but Stones and Otamendi, at least as a pairing, simply aren't up for kind of pressure his system puts on centerbacks.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I dunno where I stand on pep. I just don't want to hear that he needs the best players in the world to succeed cos that's bollocks. He should be able to take this squad and get results in this league. It's simply not good enough so far.

To be fair to him though, that defence really is terrible. Not that he has done much to improve it (and getting rid of Hart was shocking) but Stones and Otamendi, at least as a pairing, simply aren't up for kind of pressure his system puts on centerbacks.

Maybe they'd be more used to it if there wasnt changes every single game.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm

london blue 2 wrote:

Oh I agree. And for me, there are really no excuses for that Kolarov as CB and Navas as RB nonsense.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm

london blue 2 wrote:

Oh I agree. And for me, there are really no excuses for that Kolarov as CB and Navas as RB nonsense.

Zab at MF and F1 left and right back, the list continues
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I heard t'other day day that Barca had won absolutely nothing for 3 years until Pep joined them. I assume this is true and it negates all the talk of Pep having an easy life at Barca. That said, his selection and formation today was, yet again, un fathomable. This was stated before the game btw. His faith in Bravo compared to his treatment of Hart is another puzzle. At times, I can't help but think he is clueless.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I heard t'other day day that Barca had won absolutely nothing for 3 years until Pep joined them. I assume this is true and it negates all the talk of Pep having an easy life at Barca. That said, his selection and formation today was, yet again, un fathomable. This was stated before the game btw. His faith in Bravo compared to his treatment of Hart is another puzzle. At times, I can't help but think he is clueless.

When Pep took over there had been two trophyless seasons. Before that they were runaway league winners and won Champion's League with that Rijkaard team that included prime Sammy Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco. Iniesta and Xvi, the REAL, cornerstones of their future success were already on the team. Pep basically inherited ruins of that team and revamped it completely. Having said that, they WERE Champion's League Semifinalists year before if my memory serves me (or was itnyear before) so it wasn't exactly horseshit team either.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I think you are over-rating our squad and not taking into account the complete change of strategy, approach and philosophy.

I honestly do not think that anyone else would have done any better with this squad in its current state. Pep has actually been quite brave.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I heard t'other day day that Barca had won absolutely nothing for 3 years until Pep joined them. I assume this is true and it negates all the talk of Pep having an easy life at Barca. That said, his selection and formation today was, yet again, un fathomable. This was stated before the game btw. His faith in Bravo compared to his treatment of Hart is another puzzle. At times, I can't help but think he is clueless.

When Pep took over there had been two trophyless seasons. Before that they were runaway league winners and won Champion's League with that Rijkaard team that included prime Sammy Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco. Iniesta and Xvi, the REAL, cornerstones of their future success were already on the team. Pep basically inherited ruins of that team and revamped it completely. Having said that, they WERE Champion's League Semifinalists year before if my memory serves me (or was itnyear before) so it wasn't exactly horseshit team either.

On the one side, Pep developed that team to a level that has had everybody running scared ever since. He knew the players from the youth set-up (as their manager) and brought about a decade of dominance.

On the other hand, you could say that they could've done the same with Beaker, and even Yaya, but that's just ifs and buts.

I've not been too impressed this season, just mildly in some cases, it's next year that I'm expecting him to shine.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:40 pm

sheblue wrote:

I think you are over-rating our squad and not taking into account the complete change of strategy, approach and philosophy.

I honestly do not think that anyone else would have done any better with this squad in its current state. Pep has actually been quite brave.

Sort of agree with you mate but the start of the season raised expectations where I thought he could polish a turd. We rode our luck in many games though, but when he started to test the squad it went completely Pete Tong.

He was either brave or stupid with his defensive set-up, personally I'd go with the latter at this moment, unless he had been sanctioned to prove.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 pm

sheblue wrote:

Not having it. We have some wonderful players in our squad. He's hardly taken over west brom.

His tactics are shit and it's costing us dear.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 pm

BookJunior wrote:The point I am making, the bald footballing Oracle don’t think like us mere mortals.... What is black to us, is white to him.
steady on BJ, you're not suggesting a Conte style retuft would improve the situation are you?
;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum