Next: Rags (H)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Next: Rags (H)

Postby Tim777 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 am

We've heard the banter that this fixture is pivotal to our run-in and I'm sure the nerves are setting in on both sides.

A Rag win at the Etihad will make it harder for us to secure a top four spot, although I don't think that a home loss will mean that we have no hope whatsoever. None of us will take a draw though, needless to say...

What worries me the most is that we are 2nd on the away league table to date, but at home we are 7th in the standings. Then there's also the hope that we could even end up 3rd overall, given that we are two points behind the Scouse with two games in hand.

Rashford seems to be in form, but I'm confident that a Gabriel Jesus return will cancel out his threat. From what I've seen from a video posted in another thread, he looks ready to kick some a$$.
No personal gripe against Bravo, especially given that he has been through some family issues, but most will agree that it's best that Pep puts Willie in goal for this one - I, like many, feel that his presence between the sticks gives the team, particularly the back four, more confidence.

What are your thoughts?
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Next: Rags (H)

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:19 am

Manchester derby power balance sees City favourites, United underdogs:

The last time a Manchester derby was staged on a Thursday night, in November 1994, it pretty much signalled the death of the fixture as anything approaching competitive.

Manchester City had endured their low-points against United, but there had been some memorable highs over the years, including the day Denis Law's back-heeled goal for City at Old Trafford signposted United's relegation in 1974 and the 5-1 victory at Maine Road in 1989.

The 5-1 -- Blues and Reds refer to the best and worst of derbies in terms of the respective scorelines -- was billed as the "Demolition Derby" the day Sir Alex Ferguson's expensive misfits were torn apart by City's team of emerging, homegrown youngsters, but on Thursday Nov. 10, 1994, the 5-1 win was eclipsed by a 5-0 defeat.

United, reigning champions and FA Cup holders, destroyed City at Old Trafford, with Andrei Kanchelskis scoring a hat trick on a night when Simon Tracey, City's on-loan goalkeeper, became the butt of jokes from Reds taunting Blues. "What time is, it?" they would ask. "Five past Tracey," being the mocking response.

That night was City's derby nadir. Between the 5-1 in September 1989 and a 3-1 win in Maine Road's final derby in November 2002, City failed to register a single victory against their crosstown rivals.

The 5-0 was United's biggest victory during an eight-game winning streak which was only in single figures due to City suffering relegations that saw them end up in the third tier by 1998, contesting derbies against Macclesfield Town and Oldham Athletic rather than United.

But when the two clubs collide at the Etihad Stadium this Thursday, the 174th Manchester derby will be a clash of two heavyweights on an equal footing. The days of City being little more than helpless punch-bags against United are long gone, with their revival pre-dating Sheikh Mansour's takeover in September 2008.

United used to travel to the blue half of Manchester in expectation, rather than hope, of three points, but no more. Every encounter now carries so much more significance than local bragging rights. Now it is a rivalry which is perhaps second only to the battle for supremacy in Madrid between Real and Atletico as the most anticipated, significant and explosive derby in Europe.

AC Milan vs. Inter has become a clash between two also-rans in Serie A; Celtic vs. Rangers still too one-sided due to Rangers' spell in the wilderness; Liverpool vs. Everton, while keenly contested, does not carries the national importance of the 1980s, when the two clubs dominated English football.

City no longer approach the derby with an inferiority complex, with United suffering too many big defeats at their hands of their neighbours in recent years to maintain their arrogant swagger when facing the Blues.

Ferguson, City's nemesis over the years, is central to the story of the Etihad resurgence as his remarks about United's rivals acted as reference points for each step towards parity.

When Kevin Keegan's City ended the club's 13-year victory drought in 2002, Ferguson's fury defined the moment. "I've given them [players] a b------ing, and quite rightly," he said. "You can't accept that. I just feel sorry for the fans. I wish I could let them into the dressing room so the players would know what they are thinking."

United's players took the message on board, going on to win the Premier League title that season, but City had broken their curse and, from that point onwards, the derby became virtually an equal contest again.

Since November 2002, City have won 13 derbies; United have won 16, and there have been five draws in between. There was the Premier League double in 2007-08, when Sven-Goran Eriksson's City won at Old Trafford for the first time since Law's winner in 1974; a Yaya Toure-inspired victory in an FA Cup semifinal in 2011 -- which preceded City winning their first major trophy since 1976 by defeating Stoke in the final; and the 6-1 -- when City tore United apart at Old Trafford in October 2011.

By that point, Ferguson's view of City had changed from apathy to hostility. When Carlos Tevez's defection from red to blue in the summer of 2009 prompted City to project their infamous "Welcome to Manchester" billboard in the city centre, the United manager dismissed them as a "small club with a small mentality," but it only served to show that City were getting under United's skin.

Then came the "noisy neighbours" jibe after Michael Owen's stoppage time winner in the 4-3 victory September 2009 sealed the most pulsating derby in years.

But despite Ferguson's goading, City turned up the volume even louder than United, with manager Roberto Mancini vowing to "tear down" the ticking clock banner at Old Trafford which marked the number of years since City's last trophy.

When that came down after City's 2011 FA Cup win, the club set their sights on ending United's Premier league dominance by winning the title. But Ferguson could never foresee the day when United would be regarded as underdogs against City? "Not in my lifetime," the Scot said.

And yet it came to pass, with City's title win in 2012 -- two weeks after Vincent Kompany's header sealed a 1-0 City win in arguably the biggest ever Manchester derby -- confirming the shift in the balance of power.

It has swayed between blue and red ever since. Ferguson has gone and City have finished ahead of United in each of the three seasons since his retirement in May 2013. They are now the top dogs rather than the underdogs, with Pep Guardiola slugging it out against Jose Mourinho in order to keep it that way.

But Thursday offers United the chance to push the pendulum back in their direction. A win at the Etihad -- Ferguson often referred to City's ground as the "Temple of Doom" in contrast to United's "Theatre of Dreams" -- would lift United above City and leave Guardiola's men outside the Champions League spots. If City win, they will believe they have put United in their place once again.

It is all a far cry from 1994, when City were crushed by Ferguson's big red machine. But times have changed and football's most one-sided derby has now become a rivalry for the ages
Original Dub

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

They are shite and missing there only half decent player, the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves and the way things are going thats very possible.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am

Dubciteh wrote:They are shite and missing there only half decent player, the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves and the way things are going thats very possible.

I can think of another way we might lose...
Original Dub

Postby PaulieIrish » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 am

Hope we have silva back for this ne. Any update on his injury?
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Feed The Goat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 am

Stop worrying we are going to fuck them up
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 pm

The dippers defeat has given us some leeway and the Rags still have Spurs and Arsenal to play. Given this and the inevitable refereeing on Thursday I would be ok with a draw, Tim.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 pm

PaulieIrish wrote:Hope we have silva back for this ne. Any update on his injury?

No specific update but there are reports he did a warm down session on Monday. We don't really get anything from Pep at the pressers. Is Stones fit? We won't know until Thirsday. Bravo will be in goal and I really doubt Silva or Vince will play. Jesus may be on the bench.
South Stand Balti

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm

PaulieIrish wrote:Hope we have silva back for this ne. Any update on his injury?

No specific update but there are reports he did a warm down session on Monday. We don't really get anything from Pep at the pressers. Is Stones fit? We won't know until Thirsday. Bravo will be in goal and I really doubt Silva or Vince will play. Jesus may be on the bench.
South Stand Balti

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Aguero and Jesus fit.

Silva a major doubt. Will be huge miss if he's out
gmercer1

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 pm

gmercer1 wrote:Aguero and Jesus fit.

Silva a major doubt. Will be huge miss if he's out

Or we could see it as a blessing (if only one game) as they will almost certainly be playing Bog Brush & Darmian who would be instructed to target Merlin. It worked for those wankers on Sunday!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 pm

JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Silva being out, may mean a return for Sterling. Reckon him and Sane could kill them down the wings. If Merlin is fit, I'd still rather sterling starts and kev is dropped as he hasn't impressed me in ages
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Silva being out, may mean a return for Sterling. Reckon him and Sane could kill them down the wings. If Merlin is fit, I'd still rather sterling starts and kev is dropped as he hasn't impressed me in ages

In ages? Have you had your head in the sand recently.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Silva being out, may mean a return for Sterling. Reckon him and Sane could kill them down the wings. If Merlin is fit, I'd still rather sterling starts and kev is dropped as he hasn't impressed me in ages

In ages? Have you had your head in the sand recently.

Thought he was good when moved out wide vs Liverpool in second half, but apart from that....I can't remember much else. Southampton possibly, although that game is a bit of a blur to me
Fidel Castro

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

but you've been impressed by sterling recently??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:

Not particularly, but think his speed could potentially be more of a danger to the rags. I know Kev has got the ability to produce a world class pass to create something even if he's not having a good game, just think there's more risk of him being a passenger and blowing out of his arse after half an hour if he isn't on his game. Personally, I'd go with Sterling but can see why others would prefer Kev. Chances are they'll both play anyway, if Merlin is injured
Fidel Castro

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Not particularly, but think his speed could potentially be more of a danger to the rags. I know Kev has got the ability to produce a world class pass to create something even if he's not having a good game, just think there's more risk of him being a passenger and blowing out of his arse after half an hour if he isn't on his game. Personally, I'd go with Sterling but can see why others would prefer Kev. Chances are they'll both play anyway, if Merlin is injured

sterling aggravates me to no end but i can understand your logic.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby patrickblue » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

sterling aggravates me to no end but i can understand your logic.

Weird that, he played probably his best game ever, certainly for us against Hull, then didn't play until he came on against arse, where he was totally anonymous.
Was there an injury I missed?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby PrezIke » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

I think Sterling is carrying some kind of knock that's affecting his play. Something is amiss.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum