CL semi finals

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: CL semi finals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 pm

To be fair we had no business being here the way we have played this season. No Pep hate or anything. These teams are just miles ahead of where we are right now. Even Atletico.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Spurge » Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Dybala - absolute class. He's been excellent tonight would love to see him at City
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed May 03, 2017 8:35 pm

And suddenly Monaco's potent attack looks average.

God, if we had a good defense we'd be so good.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Spurge » Wed May 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:And suddenly Monaco's potent attack looks average.

So why did we lose 3-1 in Monaco and Juve win 2-0?

For me Juve were a joy to watch tonight they did so many things right all over the pitch. The key differences, well they were incredibly efficient in possession, very few wasted passes. They mixed it up long balls, short passes, counter attacks and slowed down play when it suited. Very good without the ball, good shape and experience at the heart of the defence. Monaco created some dangerous openings and for all juves good defensive work, when opened up, a bit of luck on their side yet perhaps it was no coincidence it didn't necessarily fall right for Monaco in juves box. And as said would have Dybala at city in a heartbeat he wears 21
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Juventus have now kept six consecutive clean sheets in the Champions League :- their last Group Game against Dynamo Zagreb, followed by two against Porto, two against Barcelona and now tonight against Monaco.

Moreover, this is the first time Monaco have failed to score in a match at home, since November 2015.

Interestingly, Juventus have achieved this record with a load of veterans in their back line, largely chosen from :-

Bonucci 30
Chiellini 34
Dani Alves 34 tomorrow
Barzagli 36 in three days time
Benatia 30

Buffon in goal is 39, whilst Sandro is only a 'youthful' 26.

Don't know how they manage to do what they do, especially as we City fans have concerns over our own aged defensive options. It must be something to do with the food and water in sunny Italy.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Juventus have probably the best defensive set up in the world right now. Buffon, Bonucci, Chiellini, Alves etc.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Thu May 04, 2017 3:12 am

Spurge wrote:

for me because we have Nico and Kolarov/Stones in defense (Kompany didnt play, did he?) and Willy/Bravo in goal while Juve have Bonucci and Chiellini in defense and Buffon in goal. no comparison whatsoever.

as simple as that.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am

phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

for me because we have Nico and Kolarov/Stones in defense (Kompany didnt play, did he?) and Willy/Bravo in goal while Juve have Bonucci and Chiellini in defense and Buffon in goal. no comparison whatsoever.

as simple as that.

Higuain, simple he takes chances we miss.If we had a ruthless player like that we would have run away with the league.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Justified logic » Thu May 04, 2017 8:53 am

Juve proving how far a well organised, even if aged, defence can get you. Makes me sick to think of how we've fucked up this season with our error-prone, boring play.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 am

Justified logic wrote:Juve proving how far a well organised, even if aged, defence can get you. Makes me sick to think of how we've fucked up this season with our error-prone, boring play.

It's difference in school of thought. I'm pretty old fashioned in that I believe building a good team starts with central defence (and goalkeeper) then central midfield. Once you got those pieces you are at least giving yourself a chance. Pep definitely has different mindset though. Not to slag him off (apparently you have to put that in every post) just a notion.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Juve proving how far a well organised, even if aged, defence can get you. Makes me sick to think of how we've fucked up this season with our error-prone, boring play.

It's difference in school of thought. I'm pretty old fashioned in that I believe building a good team starts with central defence (and goalkeeper) then central midfield. Once you got those pieces you are at least giving yourself a chance. Pep definitely has different mindset though. Not to slag him off (apparently you have to put that in every post) just a notion.

Not to slag Pep off NQDP, I completely agree with you.

Irrespective of the tactical formations which might be employed, a strong spine/backbone to the team is surely a principle of paramount importance ??

JL's point above, is also completely valid to mind, sad to say.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby sheblue » Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 am

phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

You are forgetting their fullbacks who are far better than our lot. Alves was brilliant last night.
But you are 100% correct, however lets not let the facts get in the way of a good old pep slagging.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am

sheblue wrote:
phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

You are forgetting their fullbacks who are far better than our lot. Alves was brilliant last night.
But you are 100% correct, however lets not let the facts get in the way of a good old pep slagging.

Two keepers in nets and we still conceded 3 from the 4 shots they had on target.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby phips » Thu May 04, 2017 1:28 pm

sheblue wrote:
phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

True that. Alves & Sandro are way better than Clichy/Aleks and Sagna/Zaba/Navas.

Pep just doesnt have a squad of players that can do well in Europe. now we can see this summer if he decides to improve the defense or just go for people who can pass and claim to be defenders.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Spurge » Thu May 04, 2017 6:16 pm

phips wrote:
sheblue wrote:
phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

True that. Alves & Sandro are way better than Clichy/Aleks and Sagna/Zaba/Navas.

Pep just doesnt have a squad of players that can do well in Europe. now we can see this summer if he decides to improve the defense or just go for people who can pass and claim to be defenders.

As I said (although you chose to delete it when quoting me) it was much more than just the defence where Juve did so much better. If you complete more passes, have a cutting edge in the last third then you rely on your defence less to defend - that's a key factor as is the fact they used wing backs enabling them to push Monaco back.

They were well balanced across the pitch, I liked the front 3 if you like - Dyabla playing the no 10 to very good effect, whilst Higuain will get the plaudits because of his 2 goals (he also fell over unchallenged and made a couple of strange efforts when well placed) but in no way should Mandzukic's contribution be under estimated, runs the channels when needed, plays the target man so well and helps out defending set pieces.

They played as a team and played for each other, they were all on the same wave length.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nickyboy » Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

Higuain, simple he takes chances we miss.If we had a ruthless player like that we would have run away with the league.

Higuin missed about 4 sitters before he scored last night. I'd hardly call him a ruthless striker, Juves weak link if anything
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu May 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:

as simple as that.

Higuin missed about 4 sitters before he scored last night. I'd hardly call him a ruthless striker, Juves weak link if anything

hang on
an argentinian striker who scores but also misses loads? hmmm....
can't put my finger on it but that sounds familiar.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby phips » Fri May 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Spurge wrote:As I said (although you chose to delete it when quoting me) it was much more than just the defence where Juve did so much better. If you complete more passes, have a cutting edge in the last third then you rely on your defence less to defend - that's a key factor as is the fact they used wing backs enabling them to push Monaco back.

i do not remember the 2 legs with Monaco but given Pep's philosophy and the boring, boring pass pass pass possession style we currently employ coupled with Monaco's desire to use their pace to counter-attack, shouldn't we have completed more passes and had the ball more too?

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 pm

phips wrote:
Spurge wrote:As I said (although you chose to delete it when quoting me) it was much more than just the defence where Juve did so much better. If you complete more passes, have a cutting edge in the last third then you rely on your defence less to defend - that's a key factor as is the fact they used wing backs enabling them to push Monaco back.

i do not remember the 2 legs with Monaco but given Pep's philosophy and the boring, boring pass pass pass possession style we currently employ coupled with Monaco's desire to use their pace to counter-attack, shouldn't we have completed more passes and had the ball more too?

We did.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri May 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Spurge wrote:Dybala - absolute class. He's been excellent tonight would love to see him at City

i remember him being a diving little c*nt when we faced them in the group stage last season.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum