Ball Playing Keeper

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ball Playing Keeper

Postby Mase » Sun May 07, 2017 12:17 pm

So yesterday we played some fantastic football and absolutely smashed Palace - all without a ball playing goalkeeper.

Could Pep finally see that we DO NOT NEED a goalkeeper that is 'brilliant' at playing the ball around or being a playmaker. We can still play fantastic football without that.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Ball Playing Keeper

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun May 07, 2017 1:23 pm

One of those things I can never understand. Same as defending striker and attacking defender. Goalkeepers job is to stop goals going in. If he has good delivery then that's definitely nice bonus. However if he puts few in the standa during a game and then saves couple of goals then that's ok with me. If a defender scores a goal and then he is at fault for two going in then he is not worth much for me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby freshie » Sun May 07, 2017 3:37 pm

freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun May 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:One of those things I can never understand. Same as defending striker and attacking defender. Goalkeepers job is to stop goals going in. If he has good delivery then that's definitely nice bonus. However if he puts few in the standa during a game and then saves couple of goals then that's ok with me. If a defender scores a goal and then he is at fault for two going in then he is not worth much for me.

Its fuckign bullshit , thats what it is.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby aaron bond » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:One of those things I can never understand. Same as defending striker and attacking defender. Goalkeepers job is to stop goals going in. If he has good delivery then that's definitely nice bonus. However if he puts few in the standa during a game and then saves couple of goals then that's ok with me. If a defender scores a goal and then he is at fault for two going in then he is not worth much for me.

As NQDP pointed out in the match thread, if Bravo was in goal, that header saved by Willy would have gone in and it would have been 1-1.

That's what we have faced so many times this season.

Pep has made many mistakes this season but the goalkeeping issue is one he absolutely must not continue into next season.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby patrickblue » Sun May 07, 2017 5:28 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I'm 100% with Carl on this one.
The sooner it stops the better.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby PeterParker » Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Never quite understood the overused phrase: the poacher must create spaces for his team

Modern football is weird.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Sun May 07, 2017 7:02 pm

aaron bond wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

As NQDP pointed out in the match thread, if Bravo was in goal, that header saved by Willy would have gone in and it would have been 1-1.

Pep has made many mistakes this season but the goalkeeping issue is one he absolutely must not continue into next season.

That header would not have gone in . It was a standard reaction to a normal header , down at hip height to his left . It was a good reaction save and that's it.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun May 07, 2017 8:23 pm

zuricity wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

That header would not have gone in . It was a standard reaction to a normal header , down at hip height to his left . It was a good reaction save and that's it.

Yes you are right it was not that special.
But that still doesn't mean Clownio would have got anywhere near it and you know it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

zuricity wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

It may have been standard save but Bravo would have NEVER stopped that going in. He hasn't made ONE save like that all season.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Nuer learned to pass the ball under Pep. City will not change and if you want to win the CL you need the ball. Look st last weeks S/F two high press teams cut open by calm passing teams that cut through lines starting at the back with keepers that are great on the ball even if it is to slow it down, Bravo was a top keeper at Barca, not sure he will recover, City will pass out of the back get used to it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Bravo was a top keeper at Barca, not sure he will recover, City will pass out of the back get used to it.

In a nutshell.

This article is a few years old but it's pertinent to this thread

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ma ... goalkeeper
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Slim » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 am

Willy passed out from the back and threw the ball well. And because he didn't fuck about with the ball at his feet we could actually counter and get in behind the slow Palace defence.

Fuck Bravo, if he never sees a City shirt again I'll be happy.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon May 08, 2017 3:19 am

I genuinely don't see how pep can keep him as number 1. Not being funny but I cannot remember a city player, coach or anyone getting this stick since being online. Hughes copped his fair share, but even he had a decent amount advocating he be given time. Nobody wants bravo in goal, it's pretty much unanimous. He has had an entire season without offering any morcel of improvement for us to point to.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dubciteh » Mon May 08, 2017 7:17 am

How about we sign a ball playing keeper thats also a great actual keeper.....seems a no brainer to me, willy, joe or bravo arent that person.

If pep had got Ter Stegan like he wanted this season would have been oh so different.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby zuricity » Mon May 08, 2017 7:29 am

Hazy2 wrote:Nuer learned to pass the ball under Pep. City will not change and if you want to win the CL you need the ball. Look st last weeks S/F two high press teams cut open by calm passing teams that cut through lines starting at the back with keepers that are great on the ball even if it is to slow it down, Bravo was a top keeper at Barca, not sure he will recover, City will pass out of the back get used to it.

No he didn't !

Neuer has been passing the ball out from the back since he was a kid. that is what goalies outside of the PL are trained to do. Even I had my Junior Teams playing from the back. Most certainly it is not a Pep idea. This is nothing new at all. Keeping Possession is not a Pep concept.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 08, 2017 8:11 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
zuricity wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

It may have been standard save but Bravo would have NEVER stopped that going in. He hasn't made ONE save like that all season.

I was biting my lip but have to say it, Bravo made a not too dissimilar save in the reverse match at Selhurt Park and it was from a Benteke header from 6 yards too.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 08, 2017 8:48 am

FBD: You seem to be the last feller standing for Bravo. I, more than probably anyone here, admire stubborness. However at this stage even you have GOT to admit he is beyond shocking AT LEAST for us and it would be best for all concerned if he moved on.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:FBD: You seem to be the last feller standing for Bravo. I, more than probably anyone here, admire stubborness. However at this stage even you have GOT to admit he is beyond shocking AT LEAST for us and it would be best for all concerned if he moved on.

I'm not standing for Bravo, I have said numerous times that he's struggling and hasn't been good enough, I just feel the criticism is way ott.

The criticism is that disproportionate that no one noticed his form ( as in previous 6 games played )in terms of shot stopping prior to the derby was better than Caballero's. In fact his percentage was at 66%, the same as Hart's was last season, and Caballero's was at 55% for his previous 6 at the time.

I don't know what the best thing to do is going forward, if he can rediscover the form he displayed over the couple of years previous to signing for us then we have a top keeper that can play the way Guardiola wants but there's absolutely no guarantee that will happen. We should go into the market this summer anyway for a new keeper, which I suspect was always the plan regardless of what unfolded this season.

Anyhoo, this thread should be about the merits or otherwise of using a ball playing keeper but it's inevitably turned into ANOTHER Bravo is shit thread.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 am

zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Nuer learned to pass the ball under Pep. City will not change and if you want to win the CL you need the ball. Look st last weeks S/F two high press teams cut open by calm passing teams that cut through lines starting at the back with keepers that are great on the ball even if it is to slow it down, Bravo was a top keeper at Barca, not sure he will recover, City will pass out of the back get used to it.

No he didn't !

Neuer has been passing the ball out from the back since he was a kid. that is what goalies outside of the PL are trained to do. Even I had my Junior Teams playing from the back. Most certainly it is not a Pep idea. This is nothing new at all. Keeping Possession is not a Pep concept.

It's not possession its distribution mate ! Nuer boomed it 100 yards 9/10 straight down the pitch, Quality knock tbh. Pep, has not invented anything new what he has done is added variety to Bayern, Alaba now world Class he links Fullbacks and Keepers. Working the forwards for the opposition Lham, got a new lease under Pep. Juve now have Buffon linked to Danny Alves, as the massive area you have to stop or they get out from the back and at you in a flash, see last weeks Goal. Bonnuci and Chellini sitting in with cigars on. Monaco pressed Juve like they did us, lost the battle to a drilled team. City have had average footballers at the back when on the ball when pressed they are 4 touch merchants, Space gone no pass and ball given away which teams know, Arsenal should have been taken apart, we wasted the ball so many times it must have had Pep frustrated as we have great attackers with average service when it matters. Pep and Bravo are not used to that, Defenders under pressure to create space in there world is easy, For us it is panic from players and fans. Vinny, has brought a calmness that's great to see but only a temporary solution, All the Fullbacks will all be gone as we need the step up in quality and a natural outlet from keeper to wide areas 100 times faster, when we get that ! the keeper and the Centre-halfs will have the pressure released as the attackers and Midfielders are closing down wide areas. Barca scored a winner at Madrid which we have all seen a thousand times Keeper takes a risk Gives it the full back at 2-2 last minute BTW, he travels, into a space breaks the lines game is stretched he creates chaos and a winning Goal. Pep instilled that in the DNA at Barca even last minute it's on if you have the players. Back to Juve, could not and would do that until Alves arrived from Barca, now they are a threat to anyone from Buffon to a goal.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum