Ball Playing Keeper

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ball Playing Keeper

Postby Hazy2 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:So you're saying we need to buy Alves?

I am saying Keepers like Bravo are architects of attacks catching teams out, that is what we will see when we get Full backs who can contribute, Buffon is an old dog learning new tricks, the goal is vey unJuentus, but an example of what quality players add. I would have Alves BTW top draw, maybe like Maldini he has years in him, all that said its men v boys.

I get your point Hazy but Buffon also makes saves. Very important ones.

I still have faith in what Pep is trying to do and it will take higher grade fullbacks, but it will also take s better keeper than Bravo.
He's too small for starters.

The Bravo of his Barca days had to earn his crust his 1v1 stops were fantastic it has not happened at City. Is it all his fault possibly a tad harsh.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I am saying Keepers like Bravo are architects of attacks catching teams out, that is what we will see when we get Full backs who can contribute, Buffon is an old dog learning new tricks, the goal is vey unJuentus, but an example of what quality players add. I would have Alves BTW top draw, maybe like Maldini he has years in him, all that said its men v boys.

I still have faith in what Pep is trying to do and it will take higher grade fullbacks, but it will also take s better keeper than Bravo.

The Bravo of his Barca days had to earn his crust his 1v1 stops were fantastic it has not happened at City. Is it all his fault possibly a tad harsh.

I didn't apportion blame. I just said it'll take a better keeper than him. Our defensive frailties are throughout the team, however he compounds the situation.
There is a lack of confidence with him there. That kind of nervousness spreads and should have been stopped by Pep sooner. Indeed I thought it had been when he started playing Willy, but then dropped him again for no good reason.
With Bravo injured let's see how we finish the season.
I hope Pep learns from his mistakes and if he doesn't fancy Willy next season, will find another solution to the problem.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:26 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I didn't apportion blame. I just said it'll take a better keeper than him. Our defensive frailties are throughout the team, however he compounds the situation.
There is a lack of confidence with him there. That kind of nervousness spreads and should have been stopped by Pep sooner. Indeed I thought it had been when he started playing Willy, but then dropped him again for no good reason.
With Bravo injured let's see how we finish the season.
I hope Pep learns from his mistakes and if he doesn't fancy Willy next season, will find another solution to the problem.

I am not inferring you did. Btw I saw him at Malaga away last season live, he single handily won them 3 points scratch side he protected a lead with so many saves it could have been anything, what has happened to him here and will he stay not long to find out, if we finish 4th sooner as we will back within a few weeks.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:39 am

zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:And as we found out, Alves is the player with most assists for Messi at Barca also.

Juve are built on a strong well organized defense though. They are all comfortable on the ball and their midfield also are very well drilled. The whole team look like they know where each other are and should be at any time or situation.
They don't get exposed like we do.

And even though it looked easy enough tonight, Buffon still made a few crucial saves. There is confidence throughout which comes from knowing they are difficult to score against.

Bravo just doesn't inspire confidence.
We'll see how we finish the season but already there is evidence that without Bravo in goal and with Kompany back to organize, we perform better. Even when it was just one or other. Having both scenarios at the same time has us looking much sharper.

If Pep has learnt from this year and we get top three, I'll be happy to chalk it off to experience and let's see if he can get the personnel to make this philosophy work.

Buffon is as good as it gets, he makes the job look easy. He has had world class defenders in front of him for years, we have had 1 world class defender available for a month or so. What he now has is full backs who are not Italian mindset. Catch it and they are away. No coincidence Madrid have the same in Marcelo I am off give it and the whole team are happy to see him bomb on as they cover. Bravo is no Buffon. Who is.

Are you on a wind up mission , Buffon uses grecian 2000! not the future at all

Your winding yourself up. Who said Buffon is the future. However you cannot deny Juventus have an added dimension which will ne needed, as IWT rightly pointed out he makes saves when required, that could be the difference when they play RM.

Alves touches the ball more than any other player, does that get that penny to drop...
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:How about we sign a ball playing keeper thats also a great actual keeper.....seems a no brainer to me, willy, joe or bravo arent that person.

If pep had got Ter Stegan like he wanted this season would have been oh so different.

I'm not so sure about Ter Stegen. When we played Barca Ter Stegen had a nightmare. Bravo played much better than him right up to the moment of madness that Bravo got himself sent off.
No other league has the physicality of the PL.

Pep got rid of Hart without​ giving him a chance. IMO he underestimated his ability.
Personally I think Pep needs to show more flexibility. I believe Hart could have improved his distribution and we would have challenged for the title and maybe even the CL if we had kept Hart.

If Hart is sold to a PL rival I think we will regret it.

Goalkeeping was not the only reason Hart was sold.
Pep was breaking up a cartel and making a statement.

What cartel?

Also Joe Hart is one of the best keepers to ever play in Premier League. Something to consider.

That's a very good point. Guardiola has probably knock 10m off Harts price tag with his dismissive attitude to hart. He is England's no1 but now clubs are hesitant because of the guardiola effect.

Begs the question, why aren't clubs beating our door down to pick up a bargain then?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed May 10, 2017 10:56 am

BookJunior wrote:Football is a simple game and thats the attraction. Pepe is wrong in this respect and if he sticks by his misguided principles then there's a fair chance he'll fail again next year.

The great Malcolm Allison believed in a goalkeeper's potential to start an attack. Both Keith Macrae and Joe Corrigan used full backs to do it.

My Dad is always telling me the great Bert Trautmann used to be brilliant at starting attacks. Apparently he could throw it with one hand faster and more accurately to the half way line than players could kick it.
Last edited by Plain Speaking on Wed May 10, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Scatman » Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
BookJunior wrote:Football is a simple game and thats the attraction. Pepe is wrong in this respect and if he sticks by his misguided principles then there's a fair chance he'll fail again next year.

The great Malcolm Allison believed in a goalkeeper's potential to start an attack. Both Keith Macrae and Joe Corrigan used full backs to do it.

My Dad is always telling me the great Bert Trautmann used to be brilliant at starting attacks. Apparently he could throw it with one hand more faster and more accurately to the half way line than players could kick it.

A bit like Peter Schmeichel in that other great side
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am

Scatman wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

My Dad is always telling me the great Bert Trautmann used to be brilliant at starting attacks. Apparently he could throw it with one hand more faster and more accurately to the half way line than players could kick it.

A bit like Peter Schmeichel in that other great side

And very much like Joe Hart. He has a great throw and I often wished he would throw it more often than just putting it on the ground and kicking it out of play
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

And therein lies the crux of it WW, for Guardiola it's not about the ability to get the ball from A to B, it's about making the right decision in order to put us on the front foot.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:

My Dad is always telling me the great Bert Trautmann used to be brilliant at starting attacks. Apparently he could throw it with one hand faster and more accurately to the half way line than players could kick it.

He was brilliant at this and it got coined as 'The Revie Plan', insofar as Don Revie, who was theoretically a centre-forward, used to drop back into the centre-circle area to receive the ball from Bert via his long throws. He would control the ball, turn and start quick attacks with the quality of his passing.

In reality, Revie was really a midfield player, although that term didn't really exist in those days and Bert was a great shot-stopper, as well as being brilliant in the air, unlike some 'footballing' goalkeepers of today.

Bert would be priceless in today's market.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Victor Valdes in talks with us according to twitter, available on a free.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:How about we sign a ball playing keeper thats also a great actual keeper.....seems a no brainer to me, willy, joe or bravo arent that person.

If pep had got Ter Stegan like he wanted this season would have been oh so different.

I'm not so sure about Ter Stegen. When we played Barca Ter Stegen had a nightmare. Bravo played much better than him right up to the moment of madness that Bravo got himself sent off.
No other league has the physicality of the PL.

Pep got rid of Hart without​ giving him a chance. IMO he underestimated his ability.
Personally I think Pep needs to show more flexibility. I believe Hart could have improved his distribution and we would have challenged for the title and maybe even the CL if we had kept Hart.

If Hart is sold to a PL rival I think we will regret it.

Goalkeeping was not the only reason Hart was sold.
Pep was breaking up a cartel and making a statement.

What cartel?

Also Joe Hart is one of the best keepers to ever play in Premier League. Something to consider.

That's a very good point. Guardiola has probably knock 10m off Harts price tag with his dismissive attitude to hart. He is England's no1 but now clubs are hesitant because of the guardiola effect.

Joe's been fairly shit in Italy yknow.

Joe is a City legend, no doubt.

He has his issues...being England's No1 isn't exactly the least dubious thing in world football tbh.

Joe saved our asses a lot. Pep decided he wanted something different, and i think it was more about Joe's attitude and the behind the scenes story that Joe was one of the leaders of the Mancini player revolt. Everyone fucking knows about that rumour. Whether true, doesn't matter. Joe's gone. Massive fuck up by Pep given what Bravo has turned into -- with plenty of help from our shit defenders -- but Bravo was never the keeper we're seeing now prior to this. I rated him highly, and he's made me look like a dick and he's made me hate him like i've hated few players ever, let alone a City player.

Hopefully, Pep has learned his lesson and won't fuck off Kun and Vincent this summer.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby BookJunior » Thu May 11, 2017 2:04 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

He was brilliant at this and it got coined as 'The Revie Plan', insofar as Don Revie, who was theoretically a centre-forward, used to drop back into the centre-circle area to receive the ball from Bert via his long throws. He would control the ball, turn and start quick attacks with the quality of his passing.

In reality, Revie was really a midfield player, although that term didn't really exist in those days and Bert was a great shot-stopper, as well as being brilliant in the air, unlike some 'footballing' goalkeepers of today.

I never had the good fortune to see Bert play but I can well believe you're correct.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby john@staustell » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 am

johnny crossan wrote:Victor Valdes in talks with us according to twitter, available on a free.

I'm hoping it's some hack joke. Mind you does make brilliant saves as well as horrendous clangers. Bravo just does one of those.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dubciteh » Thu May 11, 2017 8:24 am

john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Victor Valdes in talks with us according to twitter, available on a free.

I'm hoping it's some hack joke. Mind you does make brilliant saves as well as horrendous clangers. Bravo just does one of those.

I called this(either here or another forum im on) a few months back, makes sense as a back up keeper replacement for Willy, as long as it doesnt mean its him and bravo next season im fine with it. Valdes and someone else would be perfect.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 am

Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 am

BookJunior wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

I never had the good fortune to see Bert play but I can well believe you're correct.

Actually, Bert's long throws were only a part of the so called "Revie Plan", as Don Revie controlled much of the game from his midfield role, with his ball control and passing, as a sort of fulcrum for City's play. He found space and received the ball in most situations.

Revie, however, wasn't an originator in this tactical format as he was largely following in the footsteps of another "deep lying centre-forward"; the Hungarian Nandor Hidegkuti, who starred in England's legendary 6-3 defeat at Wembley in 1953 and who perfected this concept which, in those days, was puzzling for defenders and Managers alike.

However, as your Dad says, it was Bert's fast and accurate throws and distribution which started off lightning counter attacks for City on many occasions.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
BookJunior wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

Actually, Bert's long throws were only a part of the so called "Revie Plan", as Don Revie controlled much of the game from his midfield role, with his ball control and passing, as a sort of fulcrum for City's play. He found space and received the ball in most situations.

Revie, however, wasn't an originator in this tactical format as he was largely following in the footsteps of another "deep lying centre-forward"; the Hungarian Nandor Hidegkuti, who starred in England's legendary 6-3 defeat at Wembley in 1953 and who perfected this concept which, in those days, was puzzling for defenders and Managers alike.

However, as your Dad says, it was Bert's fast and accurate throws and distribution which started off lightning counter attacks for City on many occasions.
Sadly I missed his last game for us at Preston in 64, but my abiding memory is of him in action on frozen pitches in the Maine Road smog.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Valdes is fucking terrible. HELL NO from me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby johnny crossan » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Valdes is fucking terrible. HELL NO from me.

These links with Pep's former players - Sanchez, Valdes, Boateng, Badstuber, Coman etc - are predictable but still troubling.
I wouldn't put it past him to get a couple.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum