Are we on the right track?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Are we on the right track?

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I wish we did have an "average" defence, as this would be a marked improvement upon what we've had to suffer this season.

I would take issue with any statistics which might suggest otherwise because, without Vinny there, it's looked absolutely ramshackle, even though it probably doesn't get the midfield cover that other sides deem necessary or normal for their back lines.

Irrespective of what other teams do this summer, the next transfer window is going to be crucial for ourselves and one we've got to get right as, to my mind, we need six or seven players bringing in.

Only three teams have conceded fewer than us this season. One of those has eleven defenders.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I wish we did have an "average" defence, as this would be a marked improvement upon what we've had to suffer this season.

I would take issue with any statistics which might suggest otherwise because, without Vinny there, it's looked absolutely ramshackle, even though it probably doesn't get the midfield cover that other sides deem necessary or normal for their back lines.

Irrespective of what other teams do this summer, the next transfer window is going to be crucial for ourselves and one we've got to get right as, to my mind, we need six or seven players bringing in.

Only three teams have conceded fewer than us this season. One of those has eleven defenders.

Some souls might conclude from that statistic TB, that our defence has been quite satisfactory. They might then go on to further conclude that we don't need to spend much on new players in that area, because it's been satisfactory.

Personally, I'm not craving the tightest back line of all time, just a defence that might suggest we have a reasonable chance of keeping a clean sheet in those important games, when we're under pressure, or when we're playing against counter-attacking sides who are excellent on the break.

I'd much rather have a highly potent forward line who could threaten to outscore the opposition whenever required , but I'd just like to marry that with a set of tolerably competent defenders who could do a passably decent impression of trying to defend when required.

Surely that latter aspect is not asking too much, is it ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Tesl » Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 pm

We're absolutely on the right track, and I hope Pep signs a long extension.

I'm really excited about next season.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Tesl wrote:We're absolutely on the right track, and I hope Pep signs a long extension.

I'm really excited about next season.

Has he said anything to make us believe thay he'll stay longer than the three or four years of his previous stints?Genuine question.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Original Dub » Sat May 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes. He has hinted on at least a couple of occasions that he might stay beyond his initial contract.
Original Dub

Postby BookJunior » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Original Dub wrote:Yes. He has hinted on at least a couple of occasions that he might stay beyond his initial contract.

He's certainly had a reality check this season. Manuel was quicker on the uptake when he said that there are no easy games in the EPL.

I'm still undecided about him.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm

BookJunior wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Yes. He has hinted on at least a couple of occasions that he might stay beyond his initial contract.

He's certainly had a reality check this season. Manuel was quicker on the uptake when he said that there are no easy games in the EPL.

you've clearly been brainwashed by the media

i'm reserving judgement until he has had 3 windows and has spent the thick end of half a billion quid
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Ok!
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Original Dub » Sat May 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
BookJunior wrote:

you've clearly been brainwashed by the media

i'm reserving judgement until he has had 3 windows and has spent the thick end of half a billion quid

Negative Nige strikes again
Original Dub

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 pm

We've had a reasonable last few weeks, but two things bother me when pondering this question.

Our defense only got better when Vinny got fit. Can't bring myself to get excited about that for next season as he just won't stay fit. At no stage did any other 4 defenders fill me with confidence, despite having a lot of high priced options.

2nd after settling things down at the back to a degree he brought bravo back in and nothing had changed. Pep has said all the right things about no easy games and picking the best players, but bringing him back into the team suggests otherwise.

I'm by no means calling it a disaster, but I'm certainly not 100% convinced yet.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john68 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 am

Stop pondering Lee Mate, this has already been answered....but, because I like you, I will go again.

The defence Pep inherited was past its sell by date and not really fit for purpose against top strikers.
Pep was well aware of the problem when he took over and in the transfer window, City tried to sign seven defensive players...but landed none.
Pep was therefore forced to go with what he inherited and we suffered big time, especially against other top teams.

That was patently obvious to anyone who took note of their own observations rather that the shite and hype purveyed by the media.
Your disappointment is really the difference between your unrealistic expectations and what turned out to be the reality. You can't blame Pep or anyone else for your unrealistic expectations.

You have now passed ytour coaching badges, I suggest you forget the media and use your own observations rather that what you are spoonfed.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 am

PeterParker wrote:Sunday the season is over with us in the Champions League (3 or 4th)

How would you describe this season?

I hve started reading this topic about five times now and can't get beyond this point. Should we lose to Watford by say one goal I could very well see Arsenal putting five past Everton and Liverpool winning. I would describe this season as one where this sort of scenarios have creeped into my mind again. We are different team from week to week from game to game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum