Retrospective bans for diving set to be introduced by FA

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Retrospective bans for diving set to be introduced by FA

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 pm

The Football Association (FA) is expected to approve a proposal for retrospective bans for players who dive or feign injury in English football from next season.

The idea, which is already being used in Scotland, is on the agenda at the FA's annual general meeting at Wembley on Thursday.

It is reported that the English Football League, League Managers Association, Premier League and Professional Footballers' Association support the plan.

If approved by three-quarters of the 1,100 FA shareholders, three-man panels will review footage from the weekend each Monday and any player unanimously found to have cheated can expect a ban.

Introduced in 2011, the Scottish Football Association's (SFA) rule 201 gives a disciplinary panel the power to impose two-game bans for acts of simulation missed by the officials or rescind yellow cards for players who were incorrectly adjudged to have dived.

Hearts winger Jamie Walker has experienced both verdicts this season, having served a two-game ban for a dive to gain a penalty against Celtic in August and then been retrospectively cleared of simulation during a game against Rangers in December.

Simulation has been an issue in the game for years and there have been a number of notable cases this season, including Robert Snodgrass's dive to earn a penalty for Hull against Crystal Palace and more recent incidents involving Marcus Rashford, Lucas and Leroy Sane.

In January, the FA told PA Sport it wanted to talk to the SFA about rule 201 and its impact, but said this was part of a wider discussion with other associations.

In the past, FIFA has been reluctant to take decision-making away from the officials on the day but world football's governing body are reported to be more receptive to the idea of technology that helps officials and retrospective penalties to stamp out cheating.

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-le ... ssociation
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Retrospective bans for diving set to be introduced by FA

Postby phips » Thu May 18, 2017 1:08 pm

good
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Am I reading this right? If the ref spots you diving then the punishment is a yellow card but if they don't spot it then you could be banned for 2 games?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu May 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Am I reading this right? If the ref spots you diving then the punishment is a yellow card but if they don't spot it then you could be banned for 2 games?

i expect refs will show fewer yellows for simulation knowing they can fall back on retrospective action.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Am I reading this right? If the ref spots you diving then the punishment is a yellow card but if they don't spot it then you could be banned for 2 games?

i expect refs will show fewer yellows for simulation knowing they can fall back on retrospective action.

Yep, wouldn't surprise me with some of the bottling cunts.

What gets me though is why the punishment is so much more extreme if the refs miss it, doesn't seem fair.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

No reason to not go the whole hog then and have video evidence for other infractions.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Yep, wouldn't surprise me with some of the bottling cunts.

What gets me though is why the punishment is so much more extreme if the refs miss it, doesn't seem fair.

i suppose the reasoning is that the ref in live time can't be 100% sure (not that video replay is infallible either, but that's a different discussion). allowing a ref to show straight red for diving could cost a team 3 pts unfairly if he gets it wrong.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby BookJunior » Thu May 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Would This guy get a red, yellow or laughter from a referee?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPMl9ZqRksA
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Dwaring » Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 pm

I like the idea but this just seems like another way for the FA to screw us over. We'll be getting bans, while the rags and dippers are allowed to skirt past the rules per usual.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby Scatman » Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Don't forget if the ref doesn't spot it he gives a pen which is most likely converted. If he spots it he denies a penalty so the two game ban will make up for this
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby london blue 2 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm

They're calling it the sterling rule
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Dwaring wrote:I like the idea but this just seems like another way for the FA to screw us over. We'll be getting bans, while the rags and dippers are allowed to skirt past the rules per usual.

My thoughts as well.

In our case, it's penalties not being given when our players have been hacked down so that won't change.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Dwaring wrote:I like the idea but this just seems like another way for the FA to screw us over. We'll be getting bans, while the rags and dippers are allowed to skirt past the rules per usual.

My thoughts as well.

In our case, it's penalties not being given when our players have been hacked down so that won't change.

Worse MC. We can be hit on the double. No penalty and a ban.
Have to say in theory I like the idea but if past performance has anything to do with current form, I wouldn't trust The FA, not to abuse the extra power it would give.

You would still have the slanted media view, putting out a non-stop loop of whatever agenda driven footage they decide is worthy of consideration, while completely ignoring that which doesn't suit their point of view.
Do you believe the FA don't succumb to this kind of pressure?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

My thoughts as well.

Worse MC. We can be hit on the double. No penalty and a ban.
Have to say in theory I like the idea but if past performance has anything to do with current form, I wouldn't trust The FA, not to abuse the extra power it would give.

You would still have the slanted media view, putting out a non-stop loop of whatever agenda driven footage they decide is worthy of consideration, while completely ignoring that which doesn't suit their point of view.
Do you believe the FA don't succumb to this kind of pressure?

I wonder if there will be any time limit as to how far back the FA can go ??

If not they will have a retrospective field day against us.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby CTID Hants » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Approved by the FA...........

Players who dive in English football will face bans from next season under new Football Association regulations.

Under the new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting on Thursday, a panel will review footage from the weekend each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

The FA also announced it has passed reforms it proposed in March, following criticism over the way it is run.

The FA defines the new offence for which players will be punished as "successful deception of a match official".

Only incidents that result in a player winning a penalty or lead to an opponent being sent off - through either a direct red card or two yellow cards - will be punished.

The FA says it will act "where there is clear and overwhelming evidence to suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation, and as a direct result, the offending player's team has been awarded a penalty and/or an opposing player has been dismissed".

Its panel will consist of one former match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player.

The announcement follows what the FA said was "a period of consultation with stakeholders over the past few months".

The rule change also required approval from the Premier League, the EFL and the Professional Footballers' Association.

Speaking in December, Burnley manager Sean Dyche said he thought diving would be eradicated from football "in six months" if retrospective bans were introduced

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886
Last edited by CTID Hants on Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Whilst we are doing all this technology stuff, why not let the crowd hear what the officials are saying (just like Cricket/Rugby). If they have nothing to hide, then why don't they let us hear the conversations or the transcripts!?

There is one reason why.
A. They wold be found to be intentionally perverting justice on the field of play
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bigblue » Thu May 18, 2017 3:59 pm

If they actually enforce it the rags are fucked and ashley young might as well retire now
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm

So nothing for diving near the box to get freekicks nor for diving to get a freekick to alleviate a team under pressure.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu May 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Nonsense rule.
We will have cause to be annoyed with it very quickly I'm sure.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Agree with Piccs/WW/Carl.

Retrospective action is not a step forward.
Put something in place that deals with it at the time and if it's VAR then let's hear the officials. We should hear them now anyway.

Retrospective action may punish the offender, but they may have already benefited to the detriment of another team, who will gain nothing from a panel's decision.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum