Clichy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Clichy

Postby Dubciteh » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 am

I think this deserves a topic of its own.

He has confirmed he is leaving.

I know he hasnt been great the past season but pound for pound he is up there with any of them we bought since the takeover. 2 League titles, 2 League cups not bad for £7m and he was solid for us during both title wins.

I will have a soft spot for him(assuming he doesnt join the dippers) and really enjoyed looking at his reaction during the 93:20 video.

Thanks Gael, all the best!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Clichy

Postby Wooders » Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 am

He's frustrated me over the past few seasons but even so I thank him for his service and wish him all the best
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 am

Champion.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby aaron bond » Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 am

Like Zab, he faded badly in the last 2 seasons. Better squad planning could have managed the transition better for both of them and they wouldn't have been so horribly exposed.

But overall Clichy has been a very good signing, especially at £7m. He played a key role in our success and I wish him all the best for the future.

Another Arsenal player who correctly moved on for bigger and better things...
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 am

Very good player and pro and his departure, together with Zabba, means we have two new full backs lined up.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Dubciteh » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 am

johnny crossan wrote:Very good player and pro and his departure, together with Zabba, means we have two new full backs lined up.

I hope so cos if we are scrambling without something already done in the background we are in trouble.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 am

aaron bond wrote:Like Zab, he faded badly in the last 2 seasons. Better squad planning could have managed the transition better for both of them and they wouldn't have been so horribly exposed.

But overall Clichy has been a very good signing, especially at £7m. He played a key role in our success and I wish him all the best for the future.

Another Arsenal player who correctly moved on for bigger and better things...

My thoughts as well.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby littlebig » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 am

Good pro. Never caused no fuss.

Time for him to go was maybe at end of last season.

Best of luck to the lad.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby PeterParker » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Best of luck.

He was huge in the title race in 2011/12, but he is in a huge decline in the past two years.

All the best, hope he gets a good contract.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Dub City » Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Performances this season have been very poor and glad to see an upgrade but in terms of service given, what he has been a part of and his professionalism he is well up there for value for money and for quality full backs that I have seen at City. will be fondly remembered and get a good reception if he comes back as an opposition.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm

PeterParker wrote:Best of luck.

He was huge in the title race in 2011/12, but he is in a huge decline in the past two years.

All the best, hope he gets a good contract.

Seconded PP.

As you say, he was very good in 2011/12.

Just hope that, in the future he doesn't come back, at some point, to haunt us which, knowing our luck, is always likely to happen. Otherwise, best of luck to him.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm

I like Clichy. As good as any left back we have had in my lifetime, probably only Willie Donachie was as good. Double champion.

Good luck, Gael, and thanks.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:I like Clichy. As good as any left back we have had in my lifetime, probably only Willie Donachie was as good. Double champion.

Glyn Pardoe is still ticking TB ;)
FWIW he is #21 in Gary James' 50 Greatest City Players (pre 2009) uur Willie is #31
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 24, 2017 1:40 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:I like Clichy. As good as any left back we have had in my lifetime, probably only Willie Donachie was as good. Double champion.

FWIW he is #21 in Gary James' 50 Greatest City Players (pre 2009) uur Willie is #31

I know Pardoe was very good but I didn't see him play, mate.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

sorry TB, I thought still being alive qualified him :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed May 24, 2017 1:53 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

It must have been great watching the team in those days. How would you compare it to now?
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

It must have been great watching the team in those days. How would you compare it to now?

I've been watching them since 1958 but 66-70 was the best time of my life as a supporter although 2008 onwards runs it close. The Kippax atmosphere was just unforgettable but gone forever it seems. Like King Colin, Glyn was another great player whose career was ended by a disgusting rag tackle - from Best in his case.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Johnny crossan wrote :

66-70 was the best time of my life as a supporter

The 1971/72 season was an exciting, spellbinding season which, however, ended very disappointingly for us.

We were the best attacking side in the Division and, in the summer of '71 we had signed 30 year old Wyn Davies and he added an aerial presence which previously we didn't really have (although, at the time, I was averse to having a 'carthorse' like that up front). We looked certain to win the title as we entered the final stages of the season but Big Mal pushed for the signing of Rodney Marsh and, in trying to integrate him into the side, our flow was dislocated and we only ended up in fourth spot.

Very disappointing but there were many exceptionally great games :- to name just a few ; 5-2 against Wolves which wasn't one sided at all, 3-3 away to Sheffield United, 4-0 at home to Coventry in which Wyn Davies was, by all accounts, "unplayable" although he didn't score, a 3-1 victory away at the Swamp and the last game of the season, at home to Derby, was a fantastic performance as we won 2-0. Overall, our football that season was incredible.

I missed the 4-0 against Coventry, although I was actually in Manchester that day, playing chess for Yorkshire against Lancashire. It was difficult to concentrate on the chess but I won my own game, Yorkshire won the match and City handed out a footballing lesson in torrential rain which hardly abated, so I went home relatively happy.

At the end of that season, we sold Wyn Davies to the Scum. We'd bought him for £30,000 and off-loaded him for £45,000, if my memory serves me correctly, which is a bit different from what we seem to do today.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Johnny crossan wrote :

The 1971/72 season was an exciting, spellbinding season which, however, ended very disappointingly for us.

We were the best attacking side in the Division and, in the summer of '71 we had signed 30 year old Wyn Davies and he added an aerial presence which previously we didn't really have (although, at the time, I was averse to having a 'carthorse' like that up front). We looked certain to win the title as we entered the final stages of the season but Big Mal pushed for the signing of Rodney Marsh and, in trying to integrate him into the side, our flow was dislocated and we only ended up in fourth spot.

Very disappointing but there were many exceptionally great games :- to name just a few ; 5-2 against Wolves which wasn't one sided at all, 3-3 away to Sheffield United, 4-0 at home to Coventry in which Wyn Davies was, by all accounts, "unplayable" although he didn't score, a 3-1 victory away at the Swamp and the last game of the season, at home to Derby, was a fantastic performance as we won 2-0. Overall, our football that season was incredible.

I missed the 4-0 against Coventry, although I was actually in Manchester that day, playing chess for Yorkshire against Lancashire. It was difficult to concentrate on the chess but I won my own game, Yorkshire won the match and City handed out a footballing lesson in torrential rain which hardly abated, so I went home relatively happy.

At the end of that season, we sold Wyn Davies to the Scum. We'd bought him for £30,000 and off-loaded him for £45,000, if my memory serves me correctly, which is a bit different from what we seem to do today.

Quite right MC, I'm adding a season at either end - 65-71!
Davies was with us so briefly, I never really stopped inwardly chanting the question about the real nature of the chestnut brown coloured substance covering his upper head.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Johnny crossan wrote :

I sometimes wonder whether had we won the league that year coming so soon after the '68 triumph, would we have kicked on and been the dominant side of the '70s and not the dippers?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum