Welcome Bernardo Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Bernardo Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:28 pm

I’ve already said Bernie clearly isn’t racist mate.

But that doesn’t mean what he’s posted isn’t offensive. This is part of the problem. People that have no idea say that people are being sensitive, but if they spent your life being treated differently because of your skin colour then perhaps they’d understand.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Anyway. All good. Just pisses me off when shit like that is passed off as a joke when it’s clearly stupid.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:53 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... tions.html

Well said PeP.....now if BS is banned then the world has just gone even madder than it already is.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PrezIke » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 pm

I should stay out of this one for the most part but I can't resist.

I'll say he made what I would say is an uneducated, even if not intentionally poor decision.

Banning him is madness as it isn't going to address anything and only fuel the hatred of those concerned about what he did (which doesn't mean I can't empathise with him or others who make similar errors in judgement).

"Re-educating" him doesn't have to mean brainwashing, it means a conversation should happen where maybe as someone I genuinely think is a good lad will listen and also be open to sharing his own thoughts so he does not feel silenced. His saying it was just a joke I get, and is a usual way to defend such mistakes at first, but I hope he is willing to see that basically this sheet is just not cool for good reason. I am no thought police officer either, as he is entitled to think and feel what he wants. That also doesn't mean it has no impact.

I'd NEVER post a joke like he did. That makes me a snowflake? No, it comes from my own awareness of the awful history of blackface and racism on all of us. You think you should be able to litter in public because no one should tell you what to do and you don't want to walk over to the rubbish bin as it's too far? That's how I see such arguments. It's not doing us any good.

He may be the nicest lad on Earth. I suspect he is a good guy. That also doesn't mean he can't do something harmful or make mistakes. We are all capable of that even when we don't mean it or want to. Others can learn to get "thicker skins" but it's not about that as much as some think. It's about accepting responsibility for mistakes. I thought that was important? We all make them. Don't hide and deflect. That ish is weak.

We can recognise his own background may have led him to not realise what he was doing, and even if Mendy didn't care it also doesn't mean that this is harmless or about being PC.

Blackface is not something I would ignore as something having impact on human lives. He may have not meant it, but if you knew what it meant I'd hope you might think twice or even better not want to contribute.

That's how the best and most respectful human beings behave and what anyone who works with children knows is what we try to instill in them from day 1.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:07 am

Tin hat...

Bernando posted a p9c of mendy next to a cartoon character that looks like mendy. Cartoon character is black, as is mendy.

What's that got to do with black face and oppression?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 am

I think the issue is, most people that are "offended" are white millennials. If you've got a genuine reason to be offended then that's fair enough - it was a stupid post.

But the problem we have now in the world is people want to be offended by things that are nothing to do with them. People getting sacked from their jobs because they've told a female colleague they look nice and that's sexual harassment now.

Why not focus on the actual racists in football and do more to sort them? That season when Uefa fined Porto less money for racially abusing Balo than they fined us for coming out for kick off 2 minutes late. It's all a joke.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 am

My money is on a ban!!!
Dirty FA will make sure of it
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby harveytravis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 am

Nick wrote:Tin hat...

Bernando posted a p9c of mendy next to a cartoon character that looks like mendy. Cartoon character is black, as is mendy.

Ridiculous - one mate to another!

More jobs for the PC police.... i.e. people with nothing better to do with their lives,
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 am

harveytravis wrote:
Nick wrote:Tin hat...

Ridiculous - one mate to another!

More jobs for the PC police.... i.e. people with nothing better to do with their lives,

not on twitter it isn’t
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm

This is what happens when serious issues are trivialised, keep using racist for every issue and it’s currency is devalued. It is similar with using natzi for anything deemed too right wing, it trivialises what happened to Jewish people by real Natzis. People need to use common sense, a currency totally lacking these sad days.
Evaluate what happened, one guy posts something he feels amusing about his mate, his mate finds it amusing, end of !
If people want to be offended that’s their problem. It says more about them and their sad irrelevant lives than anything else.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Mase wrote:I think the issue is, most people that are "offended" are white millennials. If you've got a genuine reason to be offended then that's fair enough - it was a stupid post.

But the problem we have now in the world is people want to be offended by things that are nothing to do with them. People getting sacked from their jobs because they've told a female colleague they look nice and that's sexual harassment now.

Why not focus on the actual racists in football and do more to sort them? That season when Uefa fined Porto less money for racially abusing Balo than they fined us for coming out for kick off 2 minutes late. It's all a joke.

BANG on the money.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 pm

The reason the tweet was offensive has already been posted.

People find this offensive because they understand the history behind this type of caricature. Whether they are black, white or Chinese is irrelevant because they are intelligent enough to understand.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm

I’m not disabled but it offends me when I see people mocking someone with a disability.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:23 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I’m not disabled but it offends me when I see people mocking someone with a disability.

I am confused. You went into the match thread last night and called Spurs cunts.
Would they not offended by that?
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I’m not disabled but it offends me when I see people mocking someone with a disability.

Ah mate, I was on your side until that. How can you be offended by something that is nothing to do with you? If someone used the term "chink" in a derogatory way I wouldn't be offended. I'd think the person using it was a racist bellend. But why and how could I be personally offended by the term?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:23 pm

sheblue wrote:

I am confused. You went into the match thread last night and called Spurs cunts.
Would they not offended by that?

More to the point could non-cunts be offended because it's still offensive to cunts?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Mase wrote:

Ah mate, I was on your side until that. How can you be offended by something that is nothing to do with you? If someone used the term "chink" in a derogatory way I wouldn't be offended. I'd think the person using it was a racist bellend. But why and how could I be personally offended by the term?

Mate it’s not worth continuing this discussion.

Let’s agree to disagree and move on. I don’t have time to debate this on here.

Also spurs are cunts. Not offensive, it’s a fact.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:43 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Amen to that!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Mase wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Amen to that!!

I think most disagreements could be resolved by agreeing that Spurs are cunts.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Watch on youtube.com
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum