Offside Rule Becoming Hard To Understand.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Offside Rule Becoming Hard To Understand.

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun May 28, 2017 2:14 am

I think the offside rule is becoming really hard to understand.Players clearly stood in offside positions, making active moves towards the Ball ,changing their mind,pulling out,a team mate, coming in from a not offside position, slots the Ball home, goal given. I have seen more of these given than ever this season. players stood in off side positions,impairing a Keepers line of vision,goals still given,players stood offside blocking Keeper path to collect the Ball. ridiculously deemed to have not been interfering with play by officials, Not being biased either, I thought our goal the other week, where Sterling was standing in an off side position, but moved to connect with a goal bound shot shouldn’t have stood. Fortunately it went straight in,he missed connecting with the Ball.Still he became active the second he tried to connect with the Ball, failing to connect should be irrelevant. He shown intent, a bit like the Arse player did for their first today. How the fuck can a goal keeper anticipate/act accordingly, he don’t know who is, or who is not stood in an offside position in the 6 yard box from his goal line. If two players are showing intent moving towards the Ball it affects his thought process.

Also never understood how a player retreating from an offside position is nearly always deemed not to be interfering with play .If his team mate hits a shot from outside the box a keeper vision is nearly always impaired because he in his line of vision it shouldn’t stand. Yet how many of those goals do we see given these days ?, I have seen goals, where a shot has been goal bound,but had to go through the player standing in an offside position, said player has physically had to lift his feet, or jump to avoid making contact with the goal bound Ball, the Ball has gone straight in, and a goal has been given.How can you not be deemed active/interfering with play,if you have had to move to avoid contact with said goal bound Ball.

It was much easier to understand the offside rule, when offside was “offside”. Anyone in an offside position the ref blew.

They have made it much harder to understand than it should be, with all this active/inactive/interfering with play.It is open to a Ref interpretation.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Re: Offside Rule Becoming Hard To Understand.

Postby Slim » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 am

Last night was just another example of the bad path they have taken with this rule. Obviously Courtios reacts to the offside player and then there is hesitation as it's obviously offside and then he has to react to Sanchez steaming in.

Should have been the easiest offside call ever and we've muddied the waters so much over this "active player" and "interfering with play" that who the fuck knows anymore whether it was a good call or not.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 am

Yesterday Danny Murphy on the goal: "whether he gives it or not it's a goal"

I'm pretty sure if he hadn't given it it wouldn't have been a goal you fuckin cretin!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby kinsey » Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 am

This has so far centred on the impact of the offside player on the goalkeepers decision making, but i was struck by David Luiz's reaction yesterday. The ball was heading to the offside player so he casually put his hand up in an appeal. People may criticise him for this but I am pretty certain i would have done the same in the circumstances.

If he doesnt keep the line and decides to go back and cover the offside player, he then plays him on so by that measure, he is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Socrates » Sun May 28, 2017 8:48 am

zabbadabbado wrote:I think the offside rule is becoming really hard to understand.

You make it sound like you have been taking hormone tablets...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 am

Socrates wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:I think the offside rule is becoming really hard to understand.

You make it sound like you have been taking hormone tablets...
Might be being a bit dim here mate,please elaborate ?.Not getting the joke.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 11:54 am

I'm sick and tired of the current offside 'rule', if the current state of chaos could even be elevated to the dignified status of a 'rule' in the first place.

To my mind, it just gives free rein to any referee to interpret the situation in any way he sees fit, to the benefit of any team he sees fit.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby phips » Sun May 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Slim wrote:Last night was just another example of the bad path they have taken with this rule. Obviously Courtios reacts to the offside player and then there is hesitation as it's obviously offside and then he has to react to Sanchez steaming in.

for me that is Coutois's' fault. whether he actually was offside or not Courtois (and all the players) have to play until the whistle.
all too often these days you see players raise their arms and stop playing because they assume it's offside--as if the linesman is going to listen to them and/or sees it the same way they do. you play until you hear the whistle regardless of what you think should or shouldn't be called.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I'm sick and tired of the current offside 'rule', if the current state of chaos could even be elevated to the dignified status of a 'rule' in the first place.

To my mind, it just gives free rein to any referee to interpret the situation in any way he sees fit, to the benefit of any team he sees fit.

Not to mention the handball rule.
That should have been a free out, a couple of different ways.
I thought the Chelsea defense appealed for handball first.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 3:23 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I'm sick and tired of the current offside 'rule', if the current state of chaos could even be elevated to the dignified status of a 'rule' in the first place.

Not to mention the handball rule.
That should have been a free out, a couple of different ways.
I thought the Chelsea defense appealed for handball first.

Absolutely.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun May 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Spot on, Mikhail.

I can't imagine why anyone would want that to happen.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Totally agree,he can interpret how he sees fit.When it was black and white he couldn't really do that.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 5:12 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:

Totally agree,he can interpret how he sees fit.When it was black and white he couldn't really do that.

Years before the offside law was changed, I remember a discussion on TV where the question of offside players not interfering with play was being raised.

I think it was Danny Blanchflower who made the point that if a player was not interfering with play whilst standing there, what the heck was he doing there in the first place.....End of discussion.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:

Years before the offside law was changed, I remember a discussion on TV where the question of offside players not interfering with play was being raised.

I think it was Danny Blanchflower who made the point that if a player was not interfering with play whilst standing there, what the heck was he doing there in the first place.....End of discussion.

Bill Shankly "If a player of mine is on the field and not interfering with play, I want to know the reason why."
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john68 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 am

The way I have always dealt with the offside rule, in whatever era or however it was at that time interpreted, was simply:

If it was a City player, "He could NOT possibly have been offside"
If it was a rag or a team playing against City, "How the fuck could that blind bastard of a lino have NOT seen what was a blatant offside.

Dealing with such questions in that manner has served me fine for over 61yrs of following City, I see no reason to make me change my mind, (what's left of it).
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 am

john68 wrote:The way I have always dealt with the offside rule, in whatever era or however it was at that time interpreted, was simply:

If it was a rag or a team playing against City, "How the fuck could that blind bastard of a lino have NOT seen what was a blatant offside.

Dealing with such questions in that manner has served me fine for over 61yrs of following City, I see no reason to make me change my mind, (what's left of it).

Beautifully dealt with there again, by the voice of reason.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Nickyboy » Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 am

phips wrote:
Slim wrote:Last night was just another example of the bad path they have taken with this rule. Obviously Courtios reacts to the offside player and then there is hesitation as it's obviously offside and then he has to react to Sanchez steaming in.

for me that is Coutois's' fault. whether he actually was offside or not Courtois (and all the players) have to play until the whistle.
all too often these days you see players raise their arms and stop playing because they assume it's offside--as if the linesman is going to listen to them and/or sees it the same way they do. you play until you hear the whistle regardless of what you think should or shouldn't be called.

He's believed that Ramsey was about to shoot so set himself to save that shot. Ramsey then stops, wrong footing the keeper so Sanchez can score. Natural instinctive reaction from Cortois and you can't blame him.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 am

john68 wrote:The way I have always dealt with the offside rule, in whatever era or however it was at that time interpreted, was simply:

Your mind is magnificent John.

Send that 'modus operandi' to the snouts at PIGMOB; problem solved.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby The Maine Man » Wed May 31, 2017 6:15 am

I think your last line sums it up perfectly. It gives officials the power to determine the outcome of games.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby mr_nool » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 am

I'm doing a Phips here and resurrecting an old thread ...

I'm not trying to divert blame from Walker for their goal yesterday - he handled that situation very poorly - but I do think that the somewhat ambiguous offside rule was partly to blame. The ball was clearly intended for the Wigan players just behind Walker who was stood offside. Walker (wrongly and naively) assumed that the ref would blow and just let the ball go. The Wigan player walked away from the situation and his onside team mate went for it instead.

As I said, I think Kyle did extremely poorly and that he should learn a lesson from that, but I do understand what went on in his head. The ball was played to a player just next to him who was clearly offside, so he instinctively relaxed.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Return to The Maine Football forum