Tackling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tackling

Postby Mase » Mon May 29, 2017 6:32 pm

I was watching Vinnie Jones' greatest hits on YouTube and there was a video where he cleaned Cuntona out with a fantastic tackle.

Watch on youtube.com

Anyway, he got a yellow for it. That now would be an instant red.

At what point do you think it'll become a none contact sport?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Tackling

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Mase wrote:I was watching Vinnie Jones' greatest hits on YouTube and there was a video where he cleaned Cuntona out with a fantastic tackle.

Watch on youtube.com

Anyway, he got a yellow for it. That now would be an instant red.

At what point do you think it'll become a none contact sport?

Probably should have been a red card even then. However I fully understand the refs leniency given who it was against.

To a certain degree I think football has gone as far as it can. Barring tackling completely which I think is highly unlikely, the rules are about as favourable as you can get. No tackling from behind or with your foot high up or even studs showing. This severely limits a fair tackle.

Whether it's a good thing is open to debate. Certainly on the one hand you don't get the battles between opponents you used to see. But the upside is players get more protection now. I know Silva gets fouled a lot but imagine if we had the laws of the 80s? He'd have had about five broken legs during his time with us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john68 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:48 pm

TBH, I thought it was a pretty poor tackle really.
That rag twat only went a few feet in the air and as for a card, a congratulatory one to Jones would suit me.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Mon May 29, 2017 6:56 pm

john68 wrote:TBH, I thought it was a pretty poor tackle really.
That rag twat only went a few feet in the air and as for a card, a congratulatory one to Jones would suit me.

He should be known as Sir Vincent Jones.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 pm

You're right about it being a poor tackle John and, to compound matters, he got straight up afterwards.

Mike Doyle would have had him over the top of the stand.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Mon May 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You're right about it being a poor tackle John and, to compound matters, he got straight up afterwards.

Mike Doyle would have had him over the top of the stand.

You are right about John's assessment of the tackle, Jones's was such a duffer he couldn't even injury anybody cos he was so bad . His only redeeming feature being his tweeking of Gazzas nuts to win sport photo of the year ( i think)

You're wrong about Tommy Doyle , he wasn't a vicious player and sometimes disappeared when the going got really tough . George Heslop would have put Cantona in the stands though. No messing
Last edited by zuricity on Mon May 29, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby mr_nool » Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 pm

I don't like players who play dirty. It's nothing hard in putting your studs in someone's thigh or wrecking someone's knee with a bad challenge.

A real hard player is someone who never backs down, who makes you hurt through by the book shoulder barges and perfect sliding tackles, who never flinches and who doesn't try to injure you on purpose but who doesn't give a fuck if he does.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Mon May 29, 2017 7:36 pm

mr_nool wrote:I don't like players who play dirty. It's nothing hard in putting your studs in someone's thigh or wrecking someone's knee with a bad challenge.

A real hard player is someone who never backs down, who makes you hurt through by the book shoulder barges and perfect sliding tackles, who never flinches and who doesn't try to injure you on purpose but who doesn't give a fuck if he does.

you mean like Colin Bell
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby mr_nool » Mon May 29, 2017 7:47 pm

zuricity wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I don't like players who play dirty. It's nothing hard in putting your studs in someone's thigh or wrecking someone's knee with a bad challenge.

you mean like Colin Bell

Before my time mate.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Mon May 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Think people have got this thread wrong. Apologies should have used a different example.

My point was the tackle in the video was a yellow. Now it would be a red. I'm not saying whether it was a good or bad tackle.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Mase wrote:Think people have got this thread wrong. Apologies should have used a different example.

My point was the tackle in the video was a yellow. Now it would be a red. I'm not saying whether it was a good or bad tackle.

I think most agree with your intention here Mase. Sure it would be a red card today , but again, cos it was just a plain awful tackle , not even taking the player out - he seemed to miss everything. Even Cantonas castonets. A red card all day for being a thicko .
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby freshie » Mon May 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Mase wrote:Think people have got this thread wrong. Apologies should have used a different example.

Off the ball, and the only intent was to foul the player. Yellow card - then. Now - probably a red, so I agree with you on that, however, you could've titled the thread more accurately. That was never a tackle - in any era. Blatant thuggishness, although with it being on Cuntona I'd let it go and knight Vinny
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby foreverblue » Tue May 30, 2017 5:56 am

TBH I always hated Vinnie Jones. Shit footballer stealing a living kicking the shit out of people who could play. In fact I hated that entire fucking Wimbledon team.
foreverblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Mase » Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 am

freshie wrote:

Off the ball, and the only intent was to foul the player. Yellow card - then. Now - probably a red, so I agree with you on that, however, you could've titled the thread more accurately. That was never a tackle - in any era. Blatant thuggishness, although with it being on Cuntona I'd let it go and knight Vinny

So it's still the same point then. This season Fern got sent off against Burnley for a perfect tackle. Yet back then you could lunge at someone and just get a yellow.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby freshie » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 am

Mase wrote:
freshie wrote:

So it's still the same point then. This season Fern got sent off against Burnley for a perfect tackle. Yet back then you could lunge at someone and just get a yellow.

Yes but you can't compare a blatant foul off the ball as committed by Vinny Jones to a fair tackle by Fernandinho who wins the ball
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am

Mase wrote:
freshie wrote:

Aye but look at some of the tackles that were let go this season, some very dangerous lunges weren't even deemed worthy of yellow.

Fernandinho's probably should've been a yellow, would've been had he been wearing red. I could be wrong but I believe that red card was the straw that broke the camel's back with Pep which in turn saw him request the meeting with Riley.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 am

freshie wrote:
Mase wrote:
freshie wrote:

Yes but you can't compare a blatant foul off the ball as committed by Vinny Jones to a fair tackle by Fernandinho who wins the ball

Why not?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby littlebig » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 am

I'm glad this type of thuggishness is being removed from the game. Cunt of a thing to do, potentially ruin someone's career.

It does however mean that the game becomes a bit more 'soft' which is a regrettable outcome. It's a thin line. There is an art in tackling which I hope isn't completely eradicated.

I can't see football ever becoming a non contact sport even though some may think that's the point we're heading to.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Return to The Maine Football forum