International Break

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: International Break

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.


Can't argue with your point about the quality of our past managerial appointments JC and Southgate, the current incumbent, is certainly far far out of his depth. Furthermore, the FA seem to have abandoned the foreign manager route, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to who we could consider, with the added risk of scarring them for life when it all turned sour.

Any thoughts of your own ??
Mikhail Chigorin
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6995
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.


Can't argue with your point about the quality of our past managerial appointments JC and Southgate, the current incumbent, is certainly far far out of his depth. Furthermore, the FA seem to have abandoned the foreign manager route, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to who we could consider, with the added risk of scarring them for life when it all turned sour.

Any thoughts of your own ??
Only the obvious, that they should appoint the best manager for the job, irrespective of nationality, the key criteria being ability and record. Conte would be an example of someone with proven success at club and international level and experience of our league and players - unlike say Capello. Suitable candidates seem thin on the ground but other major footballing countries seem to have managed to find them.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: International Break

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm

i am worried about stones. his confidence is shot and will only get worse on the back of that performance for england. he is still making schoolboy errors. hasn't progressed one bit from the promising but raw talent he was a few years ago. i dont think he'll make it for us tbh.
Sideshow Bob
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 am
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Re: International Break

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 pm

B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game
User avatar
bigblue
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Supporter of: Holism
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt and worryingly our latest left-back target has just been crocked.
Can I just add that Sam Matterface is everything a commentator shouldn't be.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: International Break

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt


Bernie?
User avatar
bigblue
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Supporter of: Holism
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: International Break

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:21 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt

I forgot he was Portuguese. Thought because he signed from Monaco he was French!
nottsblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11367
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Bernardo's just been booked - playing at right back now it seems, I thought that was supposed to be our other target Semedo.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: El Mago

Re: International Break

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

just caught the end of the mexico v nz game. absolute shocker with the var.
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10791
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: International Break

Postby Dwaring » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Bravo is supposedly fit to play tomorrow. Ill be interested to see how he performs the rest of the summer.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm
Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Bravo playing. Has had practically nothing to do, until just now, and all he had to do was beat a striker to a ball that really wasn't much trouble at all.

He did just make a classic Bravo pass out of the back that led to the Chile player be fouled.

Now had to pass out of the back under some pressure, and did well.

We'll see if the Aussies can actually test him. I'm sure that's in their game plan. Whether they can do it off the counter remains to be seen.
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Soceroos fouling all over the place. They look way out of their depth here.
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Why is Mooy on the bench?
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Bravo good positioning and with the ball again under some pressure, using his body.

Thing is, if he can get his confidence up and get back to where he was before joining us we would have a very strong pair of goalkeepers who will fight to be our no. 1.

Will need to show he can stop some shots first...you know that bit goalkeepers are usually expected to do...lol

Worst case we can sell him if he ups his value and get some of our money back (maybe £7-10m?). Who would be our backup though then? Could see Vargas or Reina being the replacement backup then on the cheap.
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Bravo makes a save!!
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm

LOL...so much for that...Bravo could have done better.

Made himself small.

Wow...and Australia just missed a sitter with no one even near the player shooting.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

Re: International Break

Postby Florida Blue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Bravo and his awesome foot skill.. sets up a counter for the Aussie's. When asked to make a save to redeem himself, nope.. Typical City Bravo.
Last edited by Florida Blue on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
User avatar
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3298
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:48 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Re: International Break

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Fuck me , hes fuckign shit.

Thank the holy fuck we have got an actual keeper in this summer.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19896
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Location: Paradise
Supporter of: Man City

Re: International Break

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:51 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Fuck me , hes fuckign shit.

Thank the holy fuck we have got an actual keeper in this summer.


Well, prepare to be upset because he's still our backup and likely the keeper for the FA & EFL Cups.

Striking how similar that attempt at a save was to what he did with us.

I really wonder if he's been going through some real personal problems...it's quite shocking to see a player fall off as far as he has.

For Chile, even last summer, he was excellent.
Image
Man not Machine? | Yaya Strikes Back
User avatar
PrezIke
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Nueva York
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zhay-zeus

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFKAE, Alfie, ayrshireblue, Baidu [Spider], barryconlonsbaldspot, bigblue, Bing [Bot], Bluedj, BlueinBosnia, BrianF, carolina-blue, Clowncrete, CTID Hants, Dubciteh, FA cup winners 2006, freshie, gmercer1, Google [Bot], Grandad Rosler, Hazy2, Hutch's Shoulder, iwasthere2012, john@staustell, Justified logic, london blue 2, Mase, Mikhail Chigorin, mr_nool, Nigels Tackle, nottsblue, rosbif cuisson 'bleu', ruralblue, ScapeGoat, Sideshow Bob, sidSmith, Sparklehorse, steelsnail, stevefromdonny, Swales4ever, Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 119 guests