International Break

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Jobby

Re: International Break

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.


Can't argue with your point about the quality of our past managerial appointments JC and Southgate, the current incumbent, is certainly far far out of his depth. Furthermore, the FA seem to have abandoned the foreign manager route, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to who we could consider, with the added risk of scarring them for life when it all turned sour.

Any thoughts of your own ??
Mikhail Chigorin
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6228
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just wish that inept and clueless English managers, in charge of the National team, would stop trying to prove otherwise and trying to show that they possess some sort of tactical acumen where none exists.

They should stop trying to emulate footballing teams and, instead, base their game on Mourhino lines with a doctrine of parking the bus and hoping for some stroke of luck from a set piece, to grind out a 1-0 victory.

It would be awful to watch but, at least, it would be a simplistic and honest approach and, moreover, it would avoid the embarrassment of fans having to suffer the 'delusions of adequacy' brigade.

Tony Pulis would fit this role perfectly and have the added benefit of removing him from the Premier League.

Southgate is yet another embodiment of mediocrity and as such perfectly suited to our international ambitions.


Trouble is JC, our international ambitions are stratospherically beyond our pettyfogging capabilities.

We need a healthy dose of realism injecting into our football's blood stream.

With respect MC, I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented players in this country with more coming through as the U20s have underlined but the management of the team since the days of Robson and Venables has been dire.


Can't argue with your point about the quality of our past managerial appointments JC and Southgate, the current incumbent, is certainly far far out of his depth. Furthermore, the FA seem to have abandoned the foreign manager route, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to who we could consider, with the added risk of scarring them for life when it all turned sour.

Any thoughts of your own ??
Only the obvious, that they should appoint the best manager for the job, irrespective of nationality, the key criteria being ability and record. Conte would be an example of someone with proven success at club and international level and experience of our league and players - unlike say Capello. Suitable candidates seem thin on the ground but other major footballing countries seem to have managed to find them.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Jobby

Re: International Break

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm

i am worried about stones. his confidence is shot and will only get worse on the back of that performance for england. he is still making schoolboy errors. hasn't progressed one bit from the promising but raw talent he was a few years ago. i dont think he'll make it for us tbh.
Sideshow Bob
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 am
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Re: International Break

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 pm

B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game
User avatar
bigblue
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7121
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Supporter of: Holism
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt and worryingly our latest left-back target has just been crocked.
Can I just add that Sam Matterface is everything a commentator shouldn't be.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Jobby

Re: International Break

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt


Bernie?
User avatar
bigblue
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7121
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Supporter of: Holism
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: International Break

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:21 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:B Silva starting for Portugal vs Russia and is having a good game so far. At halftime, Ian Wright just said Silva has a beautiful left foot and is running the game

I think to avoid complications we should call him what's written on his shirt

I forgot he was Portuguese. Thought because he signed from Monaco he was French!
nottsblue
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10483
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: International Break

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Bernardo's just been booked - playing at right back now it seems, I thought that was supposed to be our other target Semedo.
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Jobby

Re: International Break

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

just caught the end of the mexico v nz game. absolute shocker with the var.
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10325
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Pretty Boy Lee and 15 guests