Alexis/Alexi Sanchez

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Alexis/Alexi Sanchez

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
zabbadabbado wrote:Gone are the days where we have to bend over, assume the position. Give in to the demands of shyster football agents, and players with over inflated egos.

12 points clear at the top of the Premier League. Still in 4 Cup competitions. Best manager in World Football, playing attractive, entertaining, football

If that was not enough to sell our Club to prospective players, then we don’t want,or need you here.

Trouble with Sanchez is he thinks he is better than everyone else. This caused problems at Arsenal. There was a time when that might have been true. Where he was the Big Fish in a little pond. At City he would only have been one of many Big Fish in a Big Pond. That’s how he was going to be treated. He was offered pay parity with our top earners, that wasn’t enough for the greedy little fucker. He wanted us to trash our pay structure with him signing as the biggest earner. This after the Club forking out the £35,000 000 Arsenal wanted, and paying his Agent the extortionate £10,000 000 back hander. He wanted to be earning in excess of £350,000 a week. Perspective, allegedly our top earners are earning £200 000 - £250,000 a week. Sanchez wanted £100,000 a week more than our star players. How could our club ever sanction that for a player 30 in December ?,Would cause all sort of shit negotiating contracts with KDB,Sane, etc. You set a precedence paying such an outrageous wage to one player.Agents will be lining up to rip us off.

Many forget he has not had a great season either, his poor form has been attributed to the on going turmoil at Arsenal. Don’t forget he is part the reason there is turmoil at Arsenal, apparently a divisive character in the dressing room. When things are not going his way causes trouble. Many at Arsenal are glad to be seeing the back of him. A great talent, who is getting old, who also comes with plenty of baggage. Guardiola felt he wasn't worth risking upsetting our camp..

The Rags will make a big spectacle about his signing in the belief they have got one over their neighbour. In reality they have got one over no one, they have signed the very definition of a mercenary. A player who is signing for them, because they offered him more money. Not because he wanted to pull on that famous Rag shirt. There was no contest if football was the common denominator. Obviously Sanchez is not a football purist.

We don’t need short term fixes that is a recipe for disaster. We are in safe hands. If Guardiola really wanted him we would have got him.

All Rags problems won’t be solved by signing Sanchez. They could very well be adding to them. Time will tell.

Except Pep does want him.

We've agreed to terms with him twice now, and he actually signed a contract with us (had to be torn up, but you get the point).

Sanchez turned down bigger offers to play elsewhere over the summer to come to us.

Situation has changed with us, and more importantly how he feels about staying until the summer.

He doesn't want to wait it seems with how things are at Arsenal, and my guess is thought it would happen this window after his frustration with the summer failed transfer he thought would happen.

We got overconfident again it seems to me (i.e. Alves), saying we would offer £20m or wait until the summer and then other clubs decided to come in with bigger offers.

Nothing to do with overconfidence imo, we're working within parameters, what it would take to get Sanchez in now goes beyond them parameters so no dice, it's that simple imo.

I agree with Prezlke, if we had not tried to low ball Arsenal with maximum £20m, and told everyone we wanted him in summer, Sanchez's camp would not have been afraid he would be stuck there. He wanted us until we behaved like we weren't that bothered about him getting out this window. That was "over confidence" in our position. It backfired he should have been ours.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

So you think Utd only start talking to Sanchez' agent in the last couple of weeks?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:So you think Utd only start talking to Sanchez' agent in the last couple of weeks?

if sanchez’s agent is worth his x% he would have instigated contact
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

We weren't 'over confident', we had an agreement in principle. Nothing was binding and you cannot legislate for another club coming in and raising the bar so high (if rumours are to believed) that he becomes one of the highest paid players in the world. If the transfer went through at those valuations then you are now talking about a player who would give you at least 5 years service and a possible resale value at the end of it. Don't get me wrong, we would pay big money if we really wanted him, which was shown in the summer, but to welsh on a deal, when trust is the ethos of the team, it's something you can't go back to.

However, I think we should at least match the Rags/Chavs offer, just to push the price up even more. Rags look like they need to get rid of a player before they can get him so it would be nice for them to lose put 2 ways.

Even better, Rags can't get a player out, we pull out at the 12th hour and Sanchez is left to rot at Arsenal. If Carlsberg did fuck ups, eh?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby freshie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am

nottsblue wrote:
freshie wrote:
Mase wrote:Dybala please.

He'd be a great signing but Juve are notoriously difficult to deal with. Would be one long, drawn out transfer

Bit like the Sanchez one then? :lol: :lol:

Probably worse
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:So you think Utd only start talking to Sanchez' agent in the last couple of weeks?

if sanchez’s agent is worth his x% he would have instigated contact

Exactly, extremely naive to think otherwise.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 am

I think it was common knowledge in the football world he wanted only us until we went cold on getting him out this window. In summer he rejected massive bids from PSG and Bayern, no PL clubs publicly made a bid because privately they were being told he only wanted us.

That changed when we didn't make a reasonable bid to Arsenal and indicated we would prefer him to come in summer.

Sanchez clearly doesn't want to stay until summer and his agent has clearly been trying to get a deal with other clubs since we went cold.
Plain Speaking

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 am

Plain Speaking wrote:

I think it was common knowledge in the football world he wanted only us until we went cold on getting him out this window. In summer he rejected massive bids from PSG and Bayern, no PL clubs publicly made a bid because privately they were being told he only wanted us.

That changed when we didn't make a reasonable bid to Arsenal and indicated we would prefer him to come in summer.

Sanchez clearly doesn't want to stay until summer and his agent has clearly been trying to get a deal with other clubs since we went cold.

Like I said above mate, I believe you're being extremely naive.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am

Beefymcfc wrote:We weren't 'over confident', we had an agreement in principle. Nothing was binding and you cannot legislate for another club coming in and raising the bar so high (if rumours are to believed) that he becomes one of the highest paid players in the world. If the transfer went through at those valuations then you are now talking about a player who would give you at least 5 years service and a possible resale value at the end of it. Don't get me wrong, we would pay big money if we really wanted him, which was shown in the summer, but to welsh on a deal, when trust is the ethos of the team, it's something you can't go back to.

However, I think we should at least match the Rags/Chavs offer, just to push the price up even more. Rags look like they need to get rid of a player before they can get him so it would be nice for them to lose put 2 ways.

Even better, Rags can't get a player out, we pull out at the 12th hour and Sanchez is left to rot at Arsenal. If Carlsberg did fuck ups, eh?

You obviously pay a lot more for a player when it's an open market. We didn't properly have that in summer, because even though China, PSG and Bayern were offering huge money. They were being told he wanted only us.

That only changed when our position changed. I believe we were happy to see him stay at Arsenal until summer and he was not. He had agreed lower wages with us and I think he would have stuck with that if we had not gone cold on him this window.
Plain Speaking

Postby stevefromdonny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

all this about not wanting to pay 35 mil agent 5 mil and 350 pw is bollox, if he stayed at arsenal, we would of paid him a a very good signing fee plus big wages, so it would work out about same money, we should of got him to sign a contract now for the summer
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:We weren't 'over confident', we had an agreement in principle. Nothing was binding and you cannot legislate for another club coming in and raising the bar so high (if rumours are to believed) that he becomes one of the highest paid players in the world. If the transfer went through at those valuations then you are now talking about a player who would give you at least 5 years service and a possible resale value at the end of it. Don't get me wrong, we would pay big money if we really wanted him, which was shown in the summer, but to welsh on a deal, when trust is the ethos of the team, it's something you can't go back to.

You obviously pay a lot more for a player when it's an open market. We didn't properly have that in summer, because even though China, PSG and Bayern were offering huge money. They were being told he wanted only us.

That only changed when our position changed. I believe we were happy to see him stay at Arsenal until summer and he was not. He had agreed lower wages with us and I think he would have stuck with that if we had not gone cold on him this window.

I don't think it was that simple. He had us in the bag but then went elsewhere to see what he could get. Nothing wrong with that, he's a free agent holding all the cards. Just hoping that if he does go elsewhere that he screws them over.

The more they pay now the less they'll have in the summer.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

Like I said above mate, I believe you're being extremely naive.

Fair enough mate, personally I think all the facts are in the public domain.
We foolishly IMO, declared our rigid stance to Arsenal and I think that was naive. Until we did that everything was going to plan for him to come to us at lower fees.
Plain Speaking

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am

It has to be said he isn't the player he was. Now that has been put down to downing tools, but he's the same age as Aguero and maybe running out of steam. Can't help feeling some club will be regretting a massive wage deal in 2 or 3 years.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am

Plain Speaking wrote:

We didn't go cold, the same offer was on the table as was in the summer.

Going back to why I think you're being naive, do you really believe that Sanchez and his agent didn't consider that Arsenal and City may not agree a deal in January, especially given what had just transpired in the summer?

As soon as that move broke down in the summer Sanchez' agent would've made contingency plans in the event there was no agreement between the two clubs in January. The idea that Utd just had this sudden brainwave of going for him now is also naive, as soon as they missed out on Perisic plans would've been made to rectify that in January.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

I don't think it was that simple. He had us in the bag but then went elsewhere to see what he could get. Nothing wrong with that, he's a free agent holding all the cards. Just hoping that if he does go elsewhere that he screws them over.

The more they pay now the less they'll have in the summer.

Your last line, I agree with, and is the only silver lining in this whole business.

I personally don't think he would have gone elsewhere if we had not gone cold.

Your view that he had us in the bag, could equally be applied to summer, where he was being offered £400k/ week in China, but apparently we agreed reasonable fees that both parties were happy with. It was only the incompetence of Arsenal that stopped the summer transfer.

I realise there is a tendency to not admit any failings or weakness' in our handling of matters and the media give us so much unjustified and hateful criticism, but sometimes we must learn from our mistakes, even if just internally.

Sanchez should have been ours!
Plain Speaking

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

I can see what this alleged meeting would have talked about.

Is he worth paying all that extra money?
What about his age (very important in City buying)?
When will Jesus be back?
Is he a 'hand grenade in the dressing room'?
What about his character?
Why didn't you play him at Barcelona?

I can see why we told him to do one. Move on.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

Okay Plain Speaking, I'll put it this way, Sanchez turned down other offers in the summer because he only wanted Pep, right? Where did that leave him? Stuck at Arsenal. He's obviously not willing for the same to happen again so will entertain other clubs.

I'll repeat, we didn't go cold, the same offer was on the table.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

john@staustell wrote:I can see what this alleged meeting would have talked about.

When will Jesus be back?

TBH I think a lot of us could see this turning into another saga as far back as when we left off in August.
I was never confident of him coming here in January.
I thought maybe June but it would really be up to Sanchez then.

I agree with John above and whether it is the difficulties of dealing with Sanchez and his agent or whether it’s down to Arsenal themselves, who I suspect have gone a long way to fnckingit up for us, I think City are right to draw a line in the sand and walk away. I only hope they have something else lined up to cover our injury crisis and this is one of the main reasons I hoped we would have nothing to do with Arsenal from the start.
We were never going to get business done early with them.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

As many have mentioned, will he upset our current players if they knew he was coming on that sort of money?

The guys have worked extremely hard to get us this far, he walks in and possibly takes a trophy?

Personally, I'm still optimistic that he's on his way here but if not, who cares.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 am

john@staustell wrote:I can see what this alleged meeting would have talked about.

When will Jesus be back?

That's a myth. He started 31 games in all comps including both legs of the Champions League semi final. Consider too that he was a 23 year old in his debut season competing with the likes of Messi and Villa for a starting berth.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum