Daniel Alves

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Daniel Alves

Postby sheblue » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Slim wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:£45 million for Walker?!!! I'd rather just tell Arsenal we'll pay that for Bellerin!

THAT'S A SHOUT.

And then go back in and get Dele Alli instead.

Just tell slimeeeeey leeeeevy to stick it. full stop.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Justified logic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:40 pm

sheblue wrote:
Slim wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:£45 million for Walker?!!! I'd rather just tell Arsenal we'll pay that for Bellerin!

THAT'S A SHOUT.

And then go back in and get Dele Alli instead.

Just tell slimeeeeey leeeeevy to stick it. full stop.

I thought he was now asking £50m? Pretty sure it was £40m a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-city-transfer-news-kyle-walker-dani-alves-pep-guardiola-a7801146.html
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I heard Levy uses one sheet of shit paper only...no exceptions.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

I respect the reasons those here who feel highly insulted by his past comments even if Alves didn't mean it and was just being honest (ManCityBrazil commented that Alves came from a very poor background and probably spoke out of ignorance).

I am not from Manchester, so I cannot know what it is like to experience what most here have as fans dealing with the constant negative treatment over one's life, so from my own perspective it may be easier for me to not be as bothered by it.

Would I like that he hadn't said those words? Of course, but I guess I feel that we are dealing with a reality that some have not had as much exposure to English football. Was it foolish to say he only thought there was one club in Manchester? Perhaps...

Yet, while to us it may sound foolish, we are also likely more educated (more TV/Internet/video game exposure) and pay closer attention than average casual fans, and even some players I am sure. I remember when I first learned that Everton was from Liverpool. I had a similar reaction. If you even asked me where Corinthians was from I wouldn't have known until I looked it up (Sao Paulo). I also don't know the name of any other clubs from the city. If I learned of one and if I was honest I would say I didn't know any other clubs other than Corinthians. Maybe his wording is problematic, but if it was translated it could have sounded differently, and if he spoke in English, it is not his first language. How many times has Pep spoken incorrectly when he may have meant something else?

When I explain I am a City supporter in the U.S. to the most casual fans, people often say something like, "Oh, Utd?" This annoys me, but I tend to feel that this is the reality out there, even as we have grown in stature.

Why was this story even put out anyway? Hmmm...maybe as propaganda to have him go to Chelsea instead of us?

I was a fan of another club in a different sport as a child. At one point the club I followed took on two of the most famous players from their arch rivals, who I hated more than anything, and was shocked at first that they joined. Those same players ended up helping the club I supported win multiple championships.

I won't tell people here what to think, but I will gladly accept Alves into the team, if he joins, and hope he helps us make all of our haters sound even dumber than they already do.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:11 pm

PrezIke wrote:I respect the reasons those here who feel highly insulted by his past comments even if Alves didn't mean it and was just being honest (ManCityBrazil commented that Alves came from a very poor background and probably spoke out of ignorance).

I am not from Manchester, so I cannot know what it is like to experience what most here have as fans dealing with the constant negative treatment over one's life, so from my own perspective it may be easier for me to not be as bothered by it.

Would I like that he hadn't said those words? Of course, but I guess I feel that we are dealing with a reality that some have not had as much exposure to English football. Was it foolish to say he only thought there was one club in Manchester? Perhaps...

Yet, while to us it may sound foolish, we are also likely more educated (more TV/Internet/video game exposure) and pay closer attention than average casual fans, and even some players I am sure. I remember when I first learned that Everton was from Liverpool. I had a similar reaction. If you even asked me where Corinthians was from I wouldn't have known until I looked it up (Sao Paulo). I also don't know the name of any other clubs from the city. If I learned of one and if I was honest I would say I didn't know any other clubs other than Corinthians. Maybe his wording is problematic, but if it was translated it could have sounded differently, and if he spoke in English, it is not his first language. How many times has Pep spoken incorrectly when he may have meant something else?

When I explain I am a City supporter in the U.S. to the most casual fans, people often say something like, "Oh, Utd?" This annoys me, but I tend to feel that this is the reality out there, even as we have grown in stature.

Why was this story even put out anyway? Hmmm...maybe as propaganda to have him go to Chelsea instead of us?

I was a fan of another club in a different sport as a child. At one point the club I followed took on two of the most famous players from their arch rivals, who I hated more than anything, and was shocked at first that they joined. Those same players ended up helping the club I supported win multiple championships.

I won't tell people here what to think, but I will gladly accept Alves into the team, if he joins, and hope he helps us make all of our haters sound even dumber than they already do.

well said
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
PrezIke wrote:I respect the reasons those here who feel highly insulted by his past comments even if Alves didn't mean it and was just being honest (ManCityBrazil commented that Alves came from a very poor background and probably spoke out of ignorance).

well said

Hark at Mr negative !!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby zuricity » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Ffs , some waffle about this guy

He is too old, he will get ripped in our shitty defense and pep should know better than fcuk around like this .
Slaps on the ears all around

and Carl .... Where's my effin two pints ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I heard Levy uses one sheet of shit paper only...no exceptions.

And he folds it to ever decreasing sizes to get maximum benefit.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby zuricity » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Dameerto wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I heard Levy uses one sheet of shit paper only...no exceptions.

13 at best.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby bigblue » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Should just use a bum gun, no paper needed
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 am

zuricity wrote:Ffs , some waffle about this guy

He is too old, he will get ripped in our shitty defense and pep should know better than fcuk around like this .
Slaps on the ears all around

and Carl .... Where's my effin two pints ?

Regardless of what he may or may not have said, this is the fact.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:44 am

bigblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

That reminds me of a certain ditty :-

There was a little man and he had a little gun and the bullets were made of liquorice.
So he shot a little duck through the parson's nose and the bullets came out in the vicarage.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

There was a little man and he had a little gun and the bullets were made of liquorice.
So he shot a little duck through the parson's nose and the bullets came out in the vicarage.

There you go MC...Image
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:17 am

edge275 wrote:This does have a Maicon feel to it.

Absolutely. But surely this fella will do better than him.

At least he won't cost much. I mean, who counts the wages anyway when we loan him to Sevilla one year from now?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 am

CTID Hants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

There you go MC...Image

Oh dear......and there was I thinking I had realistic chances of becoming the next Poet Laureate :roll: :roll:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

Fucking class right back , like I posted a couple of weeks probably the best and most decorated right back the premier league has ever seen if he signs . Don't mind class players with attitude tbh especially if they are wearing the blue and white of City !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
edge275 wrote:This does have a Maicon feel to it.

Absolutely. But surely this fella will do better than him.

At least he won't cost much. I mean, who counts the wages anyway when we loan him to Sevilla one year from now?

Or transfer him to New York...
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:There you go MC...Image

Oh dear......and there was I thinking I had realistic chances of becoming the next Poet Laureate :roll: :roll:

Actually that coat is so Betjeman
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 am

Fresh blood and fresher legs would be needed for the City coach to play his way. So, on the face of it, the pursuit of 34-year-old Dani Alves could be seen as something of a curiosity. The Brazilian is older than all but one of the above full-backs. He is not exactly in the age bracket expected as part of Guardiola's squad rebuild.

But then, some players are worth making an exception for.

Alves was, of course, part of Guardiola's famed Barcelona team. Between 2008 and 2012, they won two Champions League trophies and a dozen other pieces of silverware. Alves has used the past five seasons even more constructively than his old boss - adding another Champions League medal and completing the double in each of his past three seasons.

In doing so, he has become the template for the modern attacking full-back. A player still happy to be defined by that term but not constrained by it. His interpretation is more adventurous than most. For example, despite the much-heralded link ups with Xavi and Andres Iniesta, it is Alves who has provided more assists for Lionel Messi than anyone else.

The sight of him marauding down the right flank is a customary one, switching between his posting within the back-four and the wing-back role with ease during his year at Juventus. Indeed, Alves only seems to have increased in effectiveness with age, intervening at vital moments for the Italian champions over the past campaign.

Most notably, there was his stunning strike against Monaco in the Champions League semi-final, having already provided two assists in the first-leg victory. "Did you see his assists? That's what a central playmaker does," enthused Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri afterwards. He came up with more than any other Juve player in last season's competition.

Indeed, only Toni Kroos created more chances in the entire tournament than Alves. He is a big-game player with a temperament that allows him to embrace the biggest of stages. Typically, he also came up with a goal and an assist as Juventus completed the double with their Coppa Italia final win over Lazio last month. His qualities translate to other leagues.

Alves has retained his trademark capacity for adventure and the physical assets remain. If it was not for the fact that Alves had been at the top of the game for over a decade, with 100 caps for Brazil and his age a matter of public record, there would be little reason to think he was anything other than at the peak of his powers.

That fact will have persuaded Guardiola that he represents a bargain. As Messi himself once said: "It would be difficult to find another like him." So why opt for an Alves-type full-back, a younger but more expensive imitation, when the real deal is available instead? With the signing of Alves, City's weakness can become one of their greatest strengths overnight.

That the club's pursuit of Kyle Walker is set to continue is an acknowledgement that this is not a long-term solution. But the decision to chase Alves is also an indication that Guardiola needs short-term answers too. Having just endured a trophyless season, the prospect of another is both unpalatable and unprecedented since the turn of the decade.

Guardiola has had to deal with the sceptics, those who wrongly argue that his success was inevitable at clubs such as Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Perhaps the naysayers will present similar arguments about Alves, but the fact that he also won two UEFA Cups with Sevilla and went close to a shock La Liga win with the club in 2007 hints at something more.

Alves' infectiousness is something Guardiola wants around. A unique character whom even Gigi Buffon reportedly turned to in the hope of unlocking Champions League glory, he brings the intangibles to City as they look to build a winning culture. Despite their success, Alves adds to that. He is a man Guardiola trusts to do it. And a man who trusts in Guardiola too.

"Tactically, I've improved under Pep, learning to do the simplest thing, which sometimes is the most difficult thing," he told The Guardian in 2012. "I never thought that a team could press like we do: from minute one to minute 95, pressuring the ball and in the opposition's half. Pep's greatest success is convincing players, even great players, to do that."

If he can convince Dani Alves to keep doing it at 34 then why not the rest of City's squad? After all, it's a group with fewer Champions League medals between them than the veteran. Alves may not have youth on his side but he has just enough youthful exuberance to get by. Perhaps he could yet prove a transformative signing for his old coach. And his new club too.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:49 am

phips wrote:
Fresh blood and fresher legs would be needed for the City coach to play his way. So, on the face of it, the pursuit of 34-year-old Dani Alves could be seen as something of a curiosity. The Brazilian is older than all but one of the above full-backs. He is not exactly in the age bracket expected as part of Guardiola's squad rebuild.

But then, some players are worth making an exception for.

Alves was, of course, part of Guardiola's famed Barcelona team. Between 2008 and 2012, they won two Champions League trophies and a dozen other pieces of silverware. Alves has used the past five seasons even more constructively than his old boss - adding another Champions League medal and completing the double in each of his past three seasons.

In doing so, he has become the template for the modern attacking full-back. A player still happy to be defined by that term but not constrained by it. His interpretation is more adventurous than most. For example, despite the much-heralded link ups with Xavi and Andres Iniesta, it is Alves who has provided more assists for Lionel Messi than anyone else.

The sight of him marauding down the right flank is a customary one, switching between his posting within the back-four and the wing-back role with ease during his year at Juventus. Indeed, Alves only seems to have increased in effectiveness with age, intervening at vital moments for the Italian champions over the past campaign.

Most notably, there was his stunning strike against Monaco in the Champions League semi-final, having already provided two assists in the first-leg victory. "Did you see his assists? That's what a central playmaker does," enthused Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri afterwards. He came up with more than any other Juve player in last season's competition.

Indeed, only Toni Kroos created more chances in the entire tournament than Alves. He is a big-game player with a temperament that allows him to embrace the biggest of stages. Typically, he also came up with a goal and an assist as Juventus completed the double with their Coppa Italia final win over Lazio last month. His qualities translate to other leagues.

Alves has retained his trademark capacity for adventure and the physical assets remain. If it was not for the fact that Alves had been at the top of the game for over a decade, with 100 caps for Brazil and his age a matter of public record, there would be little reason to think he was anything other than at the peak of his powers.

That fact will have persuaded Guardiola that he represents a bargain. As Messi himself once said: "It would be difficult to find another like him." So why opt for an Alves-type full-back, a younger but more expensive imitation, when the real deal is available instead? With the signing of Alves, City's weakness can become one of their greatest strengths overnight.

That the club's pursuit of Kyle Walker is set to continue is an acknowledgement that this is not a long-term solution. But the decision to chase Alves is also an indication that Guardiola needs short-term answers too. Having just endured a trophyless season, the prospect of another is both unpalatable and unprecedented since the turn of the decade.

Guardiola has had to deal with the sceptics, those who wrongly argue that his success was inevitable at clubs such as Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Perhaps the naysayers will present similar arguments about Alves, but the fact that he also won two UEFA Cups with Sevilla and went close to a shock La Liga win with the club in 2007 hints at something more.

Alves' infectiousness is something Guardiola wants around. A unique character whom even Gigi Buffon reportedly turned to in the hope of unlocking Champions League glory, he brings the intangibles to City as they look to build a winning culture. Despite their success, Alves adds to that. He is a man Guardiola trusts to do it. And a man who trusts in Guardiola too.

"Tactically, I've improved under Pep, learning to do the simplest thing, which sometimes is the most difficult thing," he told The Guardian in 2012. "I never thought that a team could press like we do: from minute one to minute 95, pressuring the ball and in the opposition's half. Pep's greatest success is convincing players, even great players, to do that."

If he can convince Dani Alves to keep doing it at 34 then why not the rest of City's squad? After all, it's a group with fewer Champions League medals between them than the veteran. Alves may not have youth on his side but he has just enough youthful exuberance to get by. Perhaps he could yet prove a transformative signing for his old coach. And his new club too.

Does this fanboy letter has a source or is it written by you?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum