City Group Buy Girona FC?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City Group Buy Girona FC?

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm

This is surely a misunderstanding after the Sheik was overheard singing this in the shower
Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: City Group Buy Girona FC?

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:25 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 pm

doesnt Pep's brother own part of that club? if so, id bet there was some deal included in Pep coming that has the CFG buying Girona.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm

I didn't click through to Citywatch but a few days ago there was some link to summat saying Girona wanted 7 of ours on loan, which could make sense if this is true.

Newly promoted to La Liga for first time? Certainly could be a good test for the loanees?

With the power and might of CFG behind them ling term should the RM's and Barca's start to worry just yet?? I doubt it but if CFG can keep them in La Liga what better place for academy players to blood themselves.

Potentially this has to be more worrying long term for our Prem rivals than the Spanish league.

We can't afford the Girona to become too successful as I think conflict of interest rules within UEFA or FIFA kick in don't they?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:05 pm

CTID Hants wrote:I didn't click through to Citywatch but a few days ago there was some link to summat saying Girona wanted 7 of ours on loan, which could make sense if this is true.

Newly promoted to La Liga for first time? Certainly could be a good test for the loanees?

With the power and might of CFG behind them ling term should the RM's and Barca's start to worry just yet?? I doubt it but if CFG can keep them in La Liga what better place for academy players to blood themselves.

Potentially this has to be more worrying long term for our Prem rivals than the Spanish league.

We can't afford the Girona to become too successful as I think conflict of interest rules within UEFA or FIFA kick in don't they?

They won't be if they have 6–8 of our inexperienced youngsters in the starting line up.

I think it's a great chance for Girona and for our academy kids, but the balance needs to be right. The ones being loaned out need to play next to and learn from seasoned professionals.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 pm

phips wrote:doesnt Pep's brother own part of that club? if so, id bet there was some deal included in Pep coming that has the CFG buying Girona.

could well be
Sam Wallace: 'Man City now has the biggest name in football management'

Last summer, Pere and his business partner in the Media Base Sports agency, the agent Jaume Roures, bought 80 per cent of the Spanish club Girona FC, who are in Catalonia and have competed for most of their history in the country’s second division, the Segunda.

Media Base Sports is 55 per cent owned by Pere and 45 per cent by Roures, the latter through his company Mediapro. Coincidentally, Mediapro is the agent for the selling of La Liga’s international television rights and also controls the broadcast production contract for those games.

Between them, Pere and Roures represent some of the biggest names in Spanish football – most notably Pep, Luis Suárez, Andrés Iniesta and Thiago Alcantara as well as a lot of promising academy players across the leading Spanish clubs, with some prodigies listed on their website as young as 11-years old.

By last summer, Girona were in debt to the tune of £3 million and within a few weeks of the takeover by Media Base Sports an informal partnership with City began that, as the Sunday Mirror revealed last month, saw them take three of the English club’s players on loan. First, City bought Girona’s former France Under-20s central defender Florian Lejeune, 24, once of Villarreal, for around £225,000 and loaned him back to the Spanish club.

City also signed the striker Ruben Sobrino, 23, from Segunda club Ponferradina for £375,000 and loaned him to Girona. From City’s own development squads came the Nigeria junior international Chidiebere Nwakali, 19, who had formerly been on loan at Malaga’s B team, Atlético Malagueño, and is now on loan at Girona. Since then another City junior player, Pablo Maffeo, 18, a Spanish right-back whom Pere represents, and acquired by City from Espanyol in 2013, has joined Girona on loan having signed a new deal at his parent club last month.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on City’s part. There is not understood to be any official agreement in place with Girona. The club is not part of the City Football Group which comprises City as well as the Major League Soccer franchise New York City FC, Melbourne City in Australia’s A-League and the Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan’s J‑League. Yet there is no question that the close working relationship with Pere has been in place a long time before his brother’s arrival.

The focus on Manchester has clearly been a long-term project for Pere and MBS who already have a UK office registered in Manchester at the city centre premises of their accountants Saffery Champness. There was no one available to speak on the company’s behalf on Wednesday.

Pere is becoming a major player in European football, and not simply for the coaches and players whom he and Roures represent, or his involvement in Girona. He is brokering a deal for the Pozzo family, who own Watford and Udinese to sell their third club, the Spanish top-flight side Granada, to a consortium from Asia. As for Girona, their league season has been less successful and they are 13th in the 22-team Segunda after 23 games.

The pursuit of Guardiola has shaped what City have become in the modern era. The club has a long-term plan for life beyond him, and the City Football Academy, they hope, will put them a generation ahead of rivals like Manchester United and Arsenal who were the innovators at the turn of the millennium.

But even so Guardiola’s arrival is anticipated as the major epoch in City’s history and one upon which so many resources have been focused.

In the modern era it is no simple task to land the top managers of the day and a bad appointment can affect a club for years. There are only a few who can achieve what City aspire to and really only one who they believe in as much as they believe in Guardiola. It is why they went all out to get him, and even in the case of Girona and his brother Pere, deployed every resource they could.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:28 pm

mr_nool wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:I didn't click through to Citywatch but a few days ago there was some link to summat saying Girona wanted 7 of ours on loan, which could make sense if this is true.

They won't be if they have 6–8 of our inexperienced youngsters in the starting line up.

I think it's a great chance for Girona and for our academy kids, but the balance needs to be right. The ones being loaned out need to play next to and learn from seasoned professionals.

How many seasoned proffesionals are we looking to move on currently Noolie?

Take pittance for Nolito, clichy, Fernando etc or perhaps make it work in favour of CFG? This has the potential to be a huge win win situation.

If it's true Girona becoming part of CFG and there aren't the restrictions like in NY then this has to be a master stroke, blooding youngsters in one the top flight league's in Europe whilst putting some of our senior players out going to what will be still be a high level of footie.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 pm

This really would put us in a fantastic position to give our young players experience at the level that they will need...at least next season, and a regular place to give South American players the required time to gain work permits.

Effectively gives us a legit "B" team that clubs like Barca have had and was the envy of bigger PL clubs.

Great news. If this goes through will be intriguing to see how many of our players wind up playing there. I will certainly be interested in watching their games if we have 4-7 of our players in the team.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Seems Denayer could certainly wind up there instead of Lyon if this goes through.

Those worrying about Roberts, Garcia, and Mafeo surely would be satisfied with playing a season in La Liga, and together with other City players to help their own cohesiveness.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Also means we can invest in an academy in Spain (a way to deal with EU/Brexit issues in recruiting talent), and improved training facilities to enhance development of players on loan and from their academy.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 am

man city b in la liga
i like it
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:man city b in la liga
i like it

but many will not, especially in certain rag infested institutional crevices - let's see them crawl out and begin their cockchafing when the buy-out is confirmed.
City ruining football again - coming to a parasite media outlet near you soon. Remember Red Bull own more than 50% of two clubs involved in UEFA competition,
this is another interesting development noted in another place

'What's interesting, Girona's reserve team, CF Peralada, played this season in Tercera División (4th division), finished 2nd in their group and are now fighting for a promotion to Segunda B (3rd division)! Just for the perspective, it's a division where 16-17 olds can play vs grown-ups, as 2nd Spanish division is too tough for the majority of youngsters.

The final battle for promotion is today, 19:15 (local time), they'll play Rápido Bouzas in a return leg at home. The first leg ended 1-1, so CF Peralada have an advantage on away goals (though I'm not 100% sure if the away goal rule is applied for this competition). Historical day for the club, according to local press. Winning could be very important for CFG's future plans also I assume.'
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

CTID Hants wrote:We can't afford the Girona to become too successful as I think conflict of interest rules within UEFA or FIFA kick in don't they?

if by too successful you mean make a European competition then yes we do. the rules that more than one club owned by the same owner cannot make a UEFA completion. however, RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig were both just given the okay despite both being owned by Red Bull. although apparently some are saying it was a technicality.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:25 pm

phips wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:We can't afford the Girona to become too successful as I think conflict of interest rules within UEFA or FIFA kick in don't they?

if by too successful you mean make a European competition then yes we do. the rules that more than one club owned by the same owner cannot make a UEFA completion. however, RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig were both just given the okay despite both being owned by Red Bull. although apparently some are saying it was a technicality.

It would be very remiss if CFG didn't take the outcome of that case into account - as detailed below

'Common-Ownership: UEFA Reach Decision on Participation by RB Leipzig and FC Red Bull Salzburg in UEFA Champions League 2017/2018

Thursday, June 22, 2017
On 8 June 2017, we considered the issue of whether RB Leipzig and FC Red Bull Salzburg would both be permitted to participate in the UEFA Champions League 2017/2018 season. Both clubs qualified from their respective leagues on merit but, given that both clubs are in one way or another funded by Red Bull, questions had arisen as to whether UEFA’s rule against common-ownership would mean that both clubs would be prevented from competing in the UEFA Champions League at the same time.

It has now been reported that, following a month-long investigation by UEFA and changes made by both clubs, UEFA is satisfied that both clubs can compete in next year’s competition.

A UEFA statement confirmed that the Adjudicatory Chamber of the UEFA Club Financial Control Body (the “CFCB”) “has decided to accept the admission of both FC Salzburg and RB Leipzig to the UEFA Champions League 2017/2018, having found that Article 5 (Integrity of the competition) of the competition regulations is not breached.”

The statement goes on to confirm that:

“Following a thorough investigation, and further to several important governance and structural changes made by the clubs (regarding corporate matters, financing, personnel, sponsorship arrangement, etc.), the CFCB deemed that no individual or legal entity had anymore a decisive influence over more than one club participating in a UEFA club competition.”

UEFA has confirmed that the decision of the CFCB may be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within 10 days. While a challenge by Leipzig and Salzburg would appear highly unlikely, there would appear to be more cause for complaint on the part of the other German clubs that will be affected by the decision. Article 5 of the Regulations of the UEFA Champions League 2015 – 2018 Cycle states that, where two clubs that are commonly owned qualify for the same UEFA competition, the one with the lower UEFA co-efficient ranking will not be allowed to compete in the relevant competition. In the case of Salzburg and Leipzig, the club with the lower co-efficient would be Leipzig. If Leipzig had been removed from the competition, the automatic group stage place in the UEFA Champions League would have gone to 1899 Hoffenheim, whose UEFA Champions League play-off round place would have gone to FC Koln.

However, it has been reported that neither team will be appealing the decision. A Hoffenheim spokesman has been quoted as saying that:

“We are absolutely fine with the decision. After our best season in Bundesliga history we are looking forward to the Champions League play-offs in August.”

An FC Koln spokesman is reported to have said:

“We won’t appeal this case, it is not our business. We are very happy having qualified for the Europa League for the first time in 25 years.”

The story therefore appears to have reached a happy ending for all involved.

Yet a cautionary note must still be sounded. It is clear from the CFCB’s decision that both clubs were forced to make “several important governance and structural changes” in respect of “corporate matters, financing, personnel, sponsorship arrangements”. UEFA clearly takes the common-ownership rule very seriously and it has been reported that, in order to comply with this rule, individuals at both clubs were required to step down in order to focus on one or the other club, rather than both.

For owners that have interests in more than one club, this decision will be a clear sign that UEFA has not given up on its rule against common-ownership and that the principles espoused in ENIC are still alive and well. If multiple clubs with common ownership do qualify for UEFA competitions in the same season, the owners must be willing to make significant concessions in terms of business structures and personnel. Given that the ultimate beneficial owners may well have a financial interest in the success of both teams, such changes may be unappealing.

© Copyright 2017 Squire Patton Boggs (US) LLP'
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm

One thing's for sure. If they play Denayer and 7 kids of ours they'll be fucked.

Messi will get about 10
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:39 pm

john@staustell wrote:One thing's for sure. If they play Denayer and 7 kids of ours they'll be fucked.
[color=#40FF00][color=#40FF00]
Messi will get about 10
[/color][/color]

Only if he's not at City next season ??!! :o :o :o :o
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Do la Liga clubs have rules on how many loan players they are allowed to have and to field in a given game?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:Do la Liga clubs have rules on how many loan players they are allowed to have and to field in a given game?

not yet
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:59 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site