Defenders, Where Are They?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Defenders, Where Are They?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 am

No no no.... now that we have fine set of fullbacks can we please not play midfielders as centerbacks.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:No no no.... now that we have fine set of fullbacks can we please not play midfielders as centerbacks.

You're right NQDP but, having said that, it's worth remembering that there are midfielders and midfielders.

Mascherano is a good example of a midfielder dropping back and, last season, I wondered if Fernandhino, now in the twilight of his career, could both extend his playing time and do a first rate job for us at centre back.

Moreover, he would be the kind of ball playing defender that Pep likes; just hope though that he's not wasted again at full back in the future.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:27 pm

So we never actually put in any decent effort to buy top notch centerback. Instead wasted time on fucking Sanchez.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:So we never actually put in any decent effort to buy top notch centerback. Instead wasted time on fucking Sanchez.

should buy vvd if we have a spare £100m
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:So we never actually put in any decent effort to buy top notch centerback. Instead wasted time on fucking Sanchez.

Surely the longer it drags on the cheaper he becomes - I always wonder why players like that don't buy themselves out of their contract - must be something in law that allows you not to be held to a contract against your wishes?
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Hopefully we can carry on from last season in regards number of shots on goal conceded, the fewest per game in the league, then hope and pray Vinnie stays fit and Ederson continues to improve.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby zuricity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Hopefully we can carry on from last season in regards number of shots on goal conceded, the fewest per game in the league, then hope and pray Vinnie stays fit and Ederson continues to improve.

Since Pepsi didn't get his men , spafia fcukup ?

Now it is time to see if the bald one really can coach a team and get results . Because, everything is going to be thrown at us this season, moreso than before.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:53 pm

zuricity wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Hopefully we can carry on from last season in regards number of shots on goal conceded, the fewest per game in the league, then hope and pray Vinnie stays fit and Ederson continues to improve.

Since Pepsi didn't get his men , spafia fcukup ?

Now it is time to see if the bald one really can coach a team and get results . Because, everything is going to be thrown at us this season, moreso than before.

Like I said above ZC, his system saw us concede the least shots on target in the league last season so he must be doing something right.

Our centre-backs will have more protection to counters with full backs that can actually run as opposed to last season.

Id be shocked if we see a similar patch of form that Bravo displayed last December/January again.

All that said the only centre-back we have that I trust to be able to do what's required is Vinnie. Shame our attempts to get Bonnuci didn't work out.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Lost Tosin and Denayer to loans. Never going to be first team regulars this season but as back up in case of injury/suspension crisis they would've been able enough. Let's hope our midfield and forwards have so much of the ball the defenders can have a cigar on for 70 minutes in every game so conserve energy
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 pm

nottsblue wrote:Lost Tosin and Denayer to loans. Never going to be first team regulars this season but as back up in case of injury/suspension crisis they would've been able enough. Let's hope our midfield and forwards have so much of the ball the defenders can have a cigar on for 70 minutes in every game so conserve energy

Has Tosin gone? Seen him linked to Sunderland but nothing to confirm it, does he stay like Mangala because Evans isn't coming?
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Dunnylad wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Lost Tosin and Denayer to loans. Never going to be first team regulars this season but as back up in case of injury/suspension crisis they would've been able enough. Let's hope our midfield and forwards have so much of the ball the defenders can have a cigar on for 70 minutes in every game so conserve energy

Has Tosin gone? Seen him linked to Sunderland but nothing to confirm it, does he stay like Mangala because Evans isn't coming?

No, you are right. Thought it was confirmed. Still could be I guess. We are playing with matches a little bit with the defence though
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:

No, you are right. Thought it was confirmed. Still could be I guess. We are playing with matches a little bit with the defence though

Agreed it cost us last season in terms of overall confidence - well that & the keeper - relying on Kompany for a full season is a risk with his recent history - I wonder how much we wanted Bonucci & think it's short sighted we didn't consider Laporte even if he did blow us out - swallow your pride I say
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PrezIke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm

We wanted VVD but price very high and wanted Liverpool.

Then we tried for Bonucci but he didn't want to leave Italy.

Who else could we have signed?

I think we are almost assuredly in for Aderweireld next summer.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:54 pm

PrezIke wrote:

We wanted VVD but price very high and wanted Liverpool.

Then we tried for Bonucci but he didn't want to leave Italy.

Who else could we have signed?

I think we are almost assuredly in for Aderweireld next summer.

Apologies Prez but, in the whole of Europe and South America (just for starters), the sum total of central defenders the Spafia could have pursued amounted to VVD, Bonucci and Jonny Evans ??

I'm sorry but, for footballing cognoscenti such as Txixi and chums, that list seems incredibly limited.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 am

Incredible isn't it - the one GLARINGLY obvious position we NEED to fill and they have failed again.Kompany gets injured (A racing fucking certainty ) and we fuck our season up IMO.

Sanchez would have been nice but why the fuck the spanish cunts only tabled a bid on Tuesday is anyone's guess.....I honestly think they are fuckign clueless at negotiating player buys and sells...really fuckign clueless.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

If Van Dijk and Johnny fucking Evans really genuinely were the only centerbacks on our list then someone really needs fucking off.

And 100m? He put in transfer request. They got unhappy player in their hands and why would Southampton demand 100m when were (apparently) ready to buy him for half of that. Southampton are playing out of their league if they are trying to stop player like Van Dijk advancing. Terrible "calling card" when they are trying to buy similar players to Van Dijk in the future.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum