Defenders, Where Are They?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Defenders, Where Are They?

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:We need at least five new fefenders this summer just to field a team nevermind improve it. There should practically be one defender signing every week from now til the start of the season. Txiki is making mess of this again.

Very few clubs have signed all of the players they need before preseason starts.

It's just not going to happen. However, I think what we do need is a left and right back ready about the start of preseason. That's the highest need because we have no one else who will be ready for preseason. I'd wager that we will have those two in the fold around the start of preseason.

We start July 10, so there are still a few days.

Not sure how you calculate "at least" 5 defenders needed anyway.

I'd say at least 4, and that's the fullbacks. Any CB we sign right now is going to be 4th choice, unless we are selling Otamendi, which could happen, but my sense is Pep wants to start with Vinny and Stones. We still have Tosin who can be the 4th choice CB which suits me fine at this point, although I suspect we prefer to get him game elsewhere.

Mendy and Alves have been widely reported to effectively been "done," so baring a disaster we will have 2 signed up very soon.

Would it be ideal to have all 4 fullbacks by the 10th? Of course, but we can make do with 2 who go through the entire preseason and the backups added later.

This fits into the other two fullback targets we have heard of, Walker and Bertrand, because they are English and also one owner has a reputation for being quite a pain to negotiate with. However, we will be in a better position to negotiate when are less desperate to get them in, which Alves and Mendy allow Txiki more wiggle room.

Alexis can also come later, even if we all want it sooner rather than later, as we do have attacking players that can already play his positions, and will not be a huge downgrade, so we can make do and wait Arsenal out.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:this added to the fact that we're the last team to start preseason training...
a fucking shambles
but at least pep got to play golf with rory mcilroy this week...

If anything, by our players reporting last it should give Txiki more time to make signings.

A shambles? Really? 4 days before we start preseason and its already a shambles.

Mendy and Alves to start with us at preseason filling the highest need on time.

Too bad I don't live in the UK because if I could bet, and I am not a betting man, I'd be willing just to make point, to put down a few quid on that one.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby littlebig » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:41 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:We need at least five new fefenders this summer just to field a team nevermind improve it. There should practically be one defender signing every week from now til the start of the season. Txiki is making mess of this again.

Very few clubs have signed all of the players they need before preseason starts.

It's just not going to happen. However, I think what we do need is a left and right back ready about the start of preseason. That's the highest need because we have no one else who will be ready for preseason. I'd wager that we will have those two in the fold around the start of preseason.

I'd say at least 4, and that's the fullbacks. Any CB we sign right now is going to be 4th choice, unless we are selling Otamendi, which could happen, but my sense is Pep wants to start with Vinny and Stones. We still have Tosin who can be the 4th choice CB which suits me fine at this point, although I suspect we prefer to get him game elsewhere.

Mendy and Alves have been widely reported to effectively been "done," so baring a disaster we will have 2 signed up very soon.

Would it be ideal to have all 4 fullbacks by the 10th? Of course, but we can make do with 2 who go through the entire preseason and the backups added later.

This fits into the other two fullback targets we have heard of, Walker and Bertrand, because they are English and also one owner has a reputation for being quite a pain to negotiate with. However, we will be in a better position to negotiate when are less desperate to get them in, which Alves and Mendy allow Txiki more wiggle room.

Alexis can also come later, even if we all want it sooner rather than later, as we do have attacking players that can already play his positions, and will not be a huge downgrade, so we can make do and wait Arsenal out.

Excellent post. As usual from Prezlke.

Also, don't agree that we need at least 5 defenders. Keep calm everybody.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we had already signed a leftback and a rightback and that we were just waiting for Pep to return before making the announcement. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we had already signed a leftback and a rightback and that we were just waiting for Pep to return before making the announcement. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two meet up with the squad in the US and are only announced then, having already done their medicals and interview bollocks for the OS.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we had already signed a leftback and a rightback and that we were just waiting for Pep to return before making the announcement. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two meet up with the squad in the US and are only announced then, having already done their medicals and interview bollocks for the OS.

I heard Sam Lee from Goal.com recently say that this is EXACTLY how we operate. We don't make announcements until everything is done, including the interviews, etc.

He referred to Utd announcing the signing of Lindelof as an example. They had not finished everything compared to how we handled Bernardo and Ederson.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm with NQDP in that we need five defenders as a minimum.

We also need another midfielder and two more forwards, but then I'm greedy I suppose.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Dameerto wrote:I'd have liked to have seen more movement by now rather than just a pile of rumours, Six days in PLUS the whole of June.

heavy movements and piles don't go together easily.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 am

CTID Hants wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Most of these deals take easily few months to go through so they should be well on place by now.

Mendy enjoying the last few days in Miami
Ryan Bertrand on his last day of his in Cannes

Others probably the same, personally i wouldn't let anything come between me and my holidays

Personally I would get that deal worth millions and millions in a career spanning over 15 years of my life if I'm lucky get between me and my holiday once every maybe five years. Hell, I'm on holidays and still go to work today because world doesn't stop and I most certainly am not earning millions. But that's just me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:51 am

PrezIke wrote:

We have basically zero fullbacks right now. Ideally we'd have two decent players for both spots but I know that's a pipe dream at this stage so we need rightback, leftback and someone who,canncover both sides. Geriatric Alves will take one spot but he managed about half of Juventus games last season so can't be relied on for full season.

Centerbacks, you need four good ones. We got one, Kompany, and he will not last more than 20 games. Otamendi and Stones are not good enough. In Peps system with fullbacks being basically wingers the centerbacks have to be top quality. They are basically the only defenders on the pitch.

People are ctually paying too much attention on fullback situation without realizing how desperately we need centerbacks as well. So that's five defenders.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:53 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:this added to the fact that we're the last team to start preseason training...
a fucking shambles

All very odd if you ask me, but no point getting restless in first week in July.

Actually this IS the time to get restless regarding transfers mate! No point crying in november when we line up one of our ten wingers as centerbacks.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:16 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

We have basically zero fullbacks right now. Ideally we'd have two decent players for both spots but I know that's a pipe dream at this stage so we need rightback, leftback and someone who,canncover both sides. Geriatric Alves will take one spot but he managed about half of Juventus games last season so can't be relied on for full season.

Centerbacks, you need four good ones. We got one, Kompany, and he will not last more than 20 games. Otamendi and Stones are not good enough. In Peps system with fullbacks being basically wingers the centerbacks have to be top quality. They are basically the only defenders on the pitch.

People are ctually paying too much attention on fullback situation without realizing how desperately we need centerbacks as well. So that's five defenders.

Yet if you listen to people/journos who seem to have decent sources within the club they say we are going after a centre-back.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 am

Stones and Otamendi are both excellent alongside Kompany. The obvious need is for another 'Kompany', for when he gets injured again or just starts fading away.

So Forever's sources would make a good degree of sense.

Or to put it another way - if we don't find one we'll be fucked.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:30 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
a fucking shambles

What has that got do with anything?

given that the other teams are already on the training grounds getting ready for next season, i'd prefer our manager to be there as well... not doing a fucking q&a session with mcilroy hosted by that absolute cunt james fucking nesbit

Other teams less their players that played international games in June. If that was us then that would be most of our squad not due back until next week anyway so what would be the point?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 am

PrezIke wrote:

Agree on centre backs, im not sure who the answer is there though and there doesnt seem to be many linked which is a tad worrying. You wont win anything with Otamendi and Stones let alone the quadruple like was talked about by Khaldoon.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 am

PrezIke wrote:

We have two new ones, just not announced until Pep gets back off holiday.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby City64 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 am

Tosin has signed a new contract , Mendy is just coming off his hols , Alves is reportedly a done deal and Bertrand can't wait to get here if you believe "sources" . Kyle Walker , spurs and levy will be a fucking nightmare to sort out best giving that one a wide berth IMHO ....... so all in all a lot of busy business going behind the scenes at the Etihad !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am

john@staustell wrote:Stones and Otamendi are both excellent alongside Kompany. The obvious need is for another 'Kompany', for when he gets injured again or just starts fading away.

Did I read that correctly? Otamendi excellent? I would respectfully suggest, rather than 'excellent' maybe 'better than his normal performance' might be considered.
Otamendi, while he tries his best, he has been far from excellent.
Many say that a winning team needs 4 top strikers, however that same team also needs 4 top central defenders.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:28 am

sheblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Stones and Otamendi are both excellent alongside Kompany. The obvious need is for another 'Kompany', for when he gets injured again or just starts fading away.

Did I read that correctly? Otamendi excellent? I would respectfully suggest, rather than 'excellent' maybe 'better than his normal performance' might be considered.
Otamendi, while he tries his best, he has been far from excellent.
Many say that a winning team needs 4 top strikers, however that same team also needs 4 top central defenders.

I don't agree, Sometimes Ota is excellent, recent MoM in fact - with Kompany alongside him. He was also defender of the year in La Liga and plays for Argentina. He has had some howlers - mainly due to lack of defensive organisation IE no Kompany - but he is a classic City fan scapegoat - cannot do anything right and when he does it is immediately and selectively forgotten - a bit like yourself obviously.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 am

Am I right in thinking Dani Alves used to play left back for Brazil when Maicon was still able to play? Or was it the other way round? Could be handy another dual-sided one.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum