Full backs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Full backs

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:Unsavoury rumours still persist over Oxlade-Chamberlain. If true and let's hope they are nothing but the usual bullshit, may he be seen as a wing back rather than the midfielder he currently is?

On the plus side he knows where the net is. Which is our real problem
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 am

john@staustell wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Unsavoury rumours still persist over Oxlade-Chamberlain. If true and let's hope they are nothing but the usual bullshit, may he be seen as a wing back rather than the midfielder he currently is?

Oxlade chamberlain??
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:10 am

Dubciteh wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Oxlade chamberlain??

Internet Maybe?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Justified logic wrote:So what happens when a couple of them are injured/suspended? When all three are injured/suspended? Do we have any promising youths that we could call upon?

Those questions have such obvious answers as to be not worth asking.

I'm glad you asked that JL.
Apart from the obvious answers, I would love to here from the likes of Doug or maybe WW or any other match attendees, what their views on this are.
I'm not interested in a debate over whether we think Pep will play any or not.
What I'm particularly interested in is an honest assessment of what we have produced in this department, through the academy i the last few years.

I love watching the youth games and admire the principles we employ in schooling a way of playing, but I have been critical to a point,
over the lack of game management, risk assessment and ability to protect a win that I have quite often witnessed.
I would love the likes of Angelino and Maffeo to be the answer, but if we are being honest do they have what it takes to win at this level.
It's an honest question.
I have to say the defence is the one department where I see the same stupid mistakes happening that happened last year in our first team defence.
I would love to see that coached out of our academy and then possibly we would have a more robust youngster being produced, ready to enter the fray earlier.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:part I don't get is why 3 out of of 4 of these FBs (if we get Bertrand) are basically the same age, 26/27. that means we'll need to replace the lot at the same time in 4-5 yrs. again. and we'll get fucked on fees. again.

Mendy 23 (1994)
Walker 27 (1990)
Danilo 26 (1991)

Not too bad imo. But we need to be smarter next time this was ridiculously bad how this was handled

Does anyone else think these will be our three defenders and Mangala will stay as both CB and LB backup?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:11 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Justified logic wrote:So what happens when a couple of them are injured/suspended? When all three are injured/suspended? Do we have any promising youths that we could call upon?

Apart from the obvious answers, I would love to here from the likes of Doug or maybe WW or any other match attendees, what their views on this are.
What I'm particularly interested in is an honest assessment of what we have produced in this department, through the academy i the last few years.

I love watching the youth games and admire the principles we employ in schooling a way of playing, but I have been critical to a point,
over the lack of game management, risk assessment and ability to protect a win that I have quite often witnessed.
I would love the likes of Angelino and Maffeo to be the answer, but if we are being honest do they have what it takes to win at this level.
It's an honest question.
I have to say the defence is the one department where I see the same stupid mistakes happening that happened last year in our first team defence.
I would love to see that coached out of our academy and then possibly we would have a more robust youngster being produced, ready to enter the fray earlier.

You might try reading the EDS/Academy thread to see what those chaps and quite a few other match attenders think, the whole subject of likely progression is extensively discussed there and elsewhere on specific youth players.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:part I don't get is why 3 out of of 4 of these FBs (if we get Bertrand) are basically the same age, 26/27. that means we'll need to replace the lot at the same time in 4-5 yrs. again. and we'll get fucked on fees. again.

Mendy 23 (1994)
Walker 27 (1990)
Danilo 26 (1991)

Not too bad imo. But we need to be smarter next time this was ridiculously bad how this was handled

Does anyone else think these will be our three defenders and Mangala will stay as both CB and LB backup?

Mangala is a fantastic man marker. But as a man in possession - an offensive player - he is fairly hopeless to be honest. Absolutely not a 'Pep player'.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby phips » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 pm

roughly £120M spent on fullbacks this window.
although, he hadn't spent money on one since 2012. so thats 5 windows which is roughly 24M per window on fullbacks--doesnt sound as bad.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

It's an honest question.

You might try reading the EDS/Academy thread to see what those chaps and quite a few other match attenders think, the whole subject of likely progression is extensively discussed there and elsewhere on specific youth players.

One of my favourite threads Johnny.
I don't see what you have against discussing it here as the subject is simply 'Full Backs'

In essence I'm asking not about the individuals but the system.
Do those best placed/informed think we will ever produce what is necessary for the PL under the current academy system.

I read somewhere that Pep himself alluded to the fact that the winning mentality will have to be bred into the youth.
I took it to mean that a little more cynicism may be required in achieving our goals. I saw this in evidence mostly in our defensive play,
teaching players to play out from the back regardless of the pressure. It's all well and good but it also has the negative affect of our defence having in the back
of their minds that giving a goal away is not the end of the world. It's all part of the learning curve and all that.

Just my opinion and it's not only the defence. For all the flare on show in the U16's, quite often I saw the same lack of cover from the midfield being shown to the defence, with the same inevitable chaos ensuing between CB's and FB's.

In short I think we are producing excellent footballers but worry that our academic system is also breeding the same flaws that we give out about in our first team.

If this is the case, when will we ever see anyone come through.
I think it would be especially difficult for our academy defenders.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if pep wanted another left back to compete / provide back up / be an alternative to Mendy.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:48 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

It's an honest question.

One of my favourite threads Johnny.
I don't see what you have against discussing it here as the subject is simply 'Full Backs'

In essence I'm asking not about the individuals but the system.
Do those best placed/informed think we will ever produce what is necessary for the PL under the current academy system.

I read somewhere that Pep himself alluded to the fact that the winning mentality will have to be bred into the youth.
I took it to mean that a little more cynicism may be required in achieving our goals. I saw this in evidence mostly in our defensive play,
teaching players to play out from the back regardless of the pressure. It's all well and good but it also has the negative affect of our defence having in the back
of their minds that giving a goal away is not the end of the world. It's all part of the learning curve and all that.

Just my opinion and it's not only the defence. For all the flare on show in the U16's, quite often I saw the same lack of cover from the midfield being shown to the defence, with the same inevitable chaos ensuing between CB's and FB's.

In short I think we are producing excellent footballers but worry that our academic system is also breeding the same flaws that we give out about in our first team.

If this is the case, when will we ever see anyone come through.
I think it would be especially difficult for our academy defenders.

Excellent post IWT and it echoes many of my own thoughts. At all levels in the academy a lot of the reports are that we are miles better technically than most of the opposition but are a bit smaller and not as well built and not as strong. Thus although we dominate large parts of a match we don't often get what we think we deserve. Of course this isn't helped by the fact sometimes our under 18s has a lot of younger players in or our EDS team has a lot of under 18s in. We all laugh when the rags EDS team clog their way through a game and fill their side with over age players in order to try to win. But more often than not, they do win and winning is a habit.

Our academy is chock full of talented, skillfull players who will make it in the world of football. But we need more of them to have the steel required as well to put in the graft and hard yards to make it with us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm

phips wrote:roughly £120M spent on fullbacks this window.
although, he hadn't spent money on one since 2012. so thats 5 windows which is roughly 24M per window on fullbacks--doesnt sound as bad.

I like the twist you've put on this man.
But 24mil Every season on a fullback? If rags did that I'd make fun of them for it.

Let's face it txixi has some explaining to do. We 100% paid extra because everyone knows we ran out of fullbacks
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:20 pm

nottsblue wrote:...Our academy is chock full of talented, skilful players who will make it in the world of football. But we need more of them to have the steel required as well to put in the graft and hard yards to make it with us.

Absolutely right nb, but the bald truth is that Maffeo and Angelino, the next off the EDS conveyer belt, are both highly unlikely to be able to step up to Pep's level. After those two, none of the full/wing backs really stand out yet in our very successful youth teams although Charlie Oliver raised hopes for a while. Let's hope a couple emerge and kick on. DH may well disagree and I would of course defer instantly to his judgement as our expert in these matters.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:...Our academy is chock full of talented, skilful players who will make it in the world of football. But we need more of them to have the steel required as well to put in the graft and hard yards to make it with us.

Absolutely right nb, but the bald truth is that Maffeo and Angelino, the next off the EDS conveyer belt, are both highly unlikely to be able to step up to Pep's level. After those two, none of the full/wing backs really stand out yet in our very successful youth teams although Charlie Oliver raised hopes for a while. Let's hope a couple emerge and kick on. DH may well disagree and I would of course defer instantly to his judgement as our expert in these matters.

Charlie oliver, good lad though he is , never gave me any cause for hope. Center half rather than full back anyway.
Duhaney might be a possible for full back as he is quick enough and decent going forward and defending. really needs to get better than decent of course.

Joel Lattibeaudierre, center half , might be a possible in a few years time.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Charlie oliver, good lad though he is , never gave me any cause for hope. Center half rather than full back anyway.
Duhaney might be a possible for full back as he is quick enough and decent going forward and defending. really needs to get better than decent of course.

I like what I've seen of the two you mention Doug but what do you think of my overall premise.
I personally would like to see some tweaking to the overall system. I appreciate we are teaching these kids how to play football our way, but as we've seen from the first team it takes most senior players time to adjust also.
I just feel if we are going to expect s conveyor belt of talent to slot seemlessly into a senior squad then they are going to have to be taught how to win anc that means eliminating the silly errors at a very early age.

Tweaking, not a radical change of philosophy.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Obviously its a balance to achieve the top quality of play and the winning attitude mentality. Personally I would say we are going about it the right way from watching the 18's especially and the fact that they went so long without losing a game last season is testament to that.

Nobody can tell me that a player like Matt Smith who had a fantastic season, isnt out there first and foremost to win games. He has an unbelievable attitude in whatever position he plays too and he played in numerous. And he isn't alone in that.

It might be a bit different into the EDS but maybe its not really down to the players so much although I can think of one or two who maybe don't play with a win at all costs mentality. The line up will change significantly, formations might as well and some players who know they wont be with City long term are given games.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 am

johnny crossan wrote:

Looks like Pep is thinking something similar as he has flown out Labeautidiere and Duhaney

Labeautidiere plays CB/LB
Duhaney both RB/LB

Looks like they're testing them out as backups.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 am

Wonderwall wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Looks like Pep is thinking something similar as he has flown out Labeautidiere and Duhaney

Duhaney both RB/LB

how much would that cost on the back of shirt? would it even fit?!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Duhaney both RB/LB

I had wright phillips back in the day, anything compared to that is cheap!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Duhaney both RB/LB

It could be shortened to 'LB' and it would be quite appropriate if he was used at left back, although if he was played at centre back, I don't suppose it would confuse the opposition very much, unless it happened to be the Scum, because they're always confused.

I suppose his 'nom de guerre' could also default, Brazilian style, to 'Joel'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum