Ruining football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ruining football

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 am

This argument is age old. It's always someone. Liverpool of 80's, Blackburn of early 90's, Newcastle mid-90's, then it was Chelsea's turn and now it's us.

Never rags though. No, they breed their own players. All die hard reds.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 am

Whilst we're on the subject of running football, if there's anything that's ruining it it's teams that cost multimillions to assemble going into games to just try stop the opposition playing.

I know plenty that have turned away from football because they just find it boring now given the negative tactics employed by so many.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of running football, if there's anything that's ruining it it's teams that cost multimillions to assemble going into games to just try stop the opposition playing.

I know plenty that have turned away from football because they just find it boring now given the negative tactics employed by so many.

bang on
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

I hope we spend another £200 million this summer. The cartels have tried to stop us and failed. #Cuntsgettingwhattheydeserve
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby City64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I hope we spend another £200 million this summer. The cartels have tried to stop us and failed. #Cuntsgettingwhattheydeserve

Absolutely in a nutshell !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of running football, if there's anything that's ruining it it's teams that cost multimillions to assemble going into games to just try stop the opposition playing.

Any particular team in mind?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This argument is age old. It's always someone. Liverpool of 80's, Blackburn of early 90's, Newcastle mid-90's, then it was Chelsea's turn and now it's us.

Never rags though. No, they breed their own players. All die hard reds.

Spot on
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Don't know the answer, but does anyone know how many times the rags have broken the transfer record compared to us?

I also recall someone posting a table of PL transfers with inflation taken into consideration and the likes of Shrek, Rio, Veron to name a few would've been the equivalent of £80+m now. Fuck all ever gets mentioned about this
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm

What is wrong with MCFC? We haven't spent a penny since yesterday. Get the cheque-book out!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:05 pm

nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 pm

nottsblue wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40721040

Wow

Hypocrite Comes To Mind The Deluded Cunt !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Pots and kettles come to mind.
But that's rag mentality for you, they think they have a god given right to sign whoever they want, and no-one else should be allowed to stop them.
Tossers.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Lest we forget. Two cartels, one in Europe and one domestic, have tried to screw us over by rigging the rules to the extent that one of them moved the goalposts at the last minute to screw £15 or £16 million out of us and then a short while later has changed the rules back to allow AC Milan to do exactly the same with impunity. Then there is that letter with Liverpool, Arsenal, the scum and Tottingham getting the rules changes to stop us spending our own money whilst they were all saddled with debt. Well, it is payback time.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Loving the hate we are getting. Last season must have really pissed pep off. This window is next level shit.

Remember they said he might walk. :lol:
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 am

patrickblue wrote:

Any particular team in mind?

Nah, just saying ;)
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am

nottsblue wrote:Don't know the answer, but does anyone know how many times the rags have broken the transfer record compared to us?

I also recall someone posting a table of PL transfers with inflation taken into consideration and the likes of Shrek, Rio, Veron to name a few would've been the equivalent of £80+m now. Fuck all ever gets mentioned about this

Swales used to like to do that. With variable results it has to be said
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 am

http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/premie ... ing-etihad

Why Manchester City fans have stopped being defensive of the big spending at the Etihad

Had Manchester City spent £130m on full-backs last summer, they could have easily brought in a full complement of four with plenty of change to spare. Had they splurged the same amount five years ago, it’s hypothetically reasonable to throw an elite playmaker into the bargain along with an unproven but highly promising centre-back. Even by conservative estimates a world class striker could be added to the player haul a decade back, while twenty years ago the figure could have purchased two Championship football clubs outright and at least a third of England’s Euro ’96 squad.

If this illustration of football’s widespread, escalating insanity rings like a defence of City’s outlay this past week, then it isn’t, or at least not wholly. Granted, the blue half of Manchester is hardly alone in paying extraordinary sums for their team renovations – it’s perfectly conceivable that before August is out Liverpool will smash that £130m into oblivion on two very decent but unexceptional players – but even so, it’s unquestionably an eye-watering amount for a trio employed in a traditionally under-valued role.

The commotion it caused therefore was justified and entirely inevitable. Since 2014 City have spent £307m on goalkeepers and defenders and in the short time that Pep Guardiola has been in charge the club have already lavished him with £325m. The £50m arrival of Benjamin Mendy nudges City’s post-takeover net transfer spend past the billion mark, while the French left-back’s signature additionally means this is the most expensive spree ever undertaken in a single window.

These facts and figures prompted the kind of hysteria usually reserved for BBC salary reveals and what’s more, the outrage is only going to heighten as City continue heavily investing in personnel before September 1st. There’s another three or four on the way according to Pep and, let’s face it, the chances of any being £2m snips is remarkably slim. So perhaps it might be wise to strap your dad in for fear that his apoplectic rage at a sport he no longer understands results in a burst blood vessel. When it comes to flexing their financial muscle Manchester City are just getting warmed up.

Which was always going to be the case this summer, so if criticism is warranted the accompanying shock-horror surprise is feigned. Before the disappointing mixed bag of last season was concluded, Guardiola is reported to have challenged the club’s owners; men who it’s fair to say are not used to being challenged. ‘If you want league dominance and Champions League titles then furnish me with the players who can provide that because, as good a coach as I am, I’m not a miracle worker.’ Wild paraphrasing aside, that was the gist of it and with City now self-sufficient and free from the shackles of FFP, they were in a position to once again spend on a significant level. Major investment was inexorable and given the current, crazy climate in football it was never going to tot up to peanuts.

‘Chequebook Pep’ then?

If that is your interpretation, you’re entitled to it. I prefer to view this summer’s assembly of the best possible players to improve long-standing problem areas in far more pragmatic terms: why employ the world’s greatest chef and give him blunt knives and an oven that blows hot and cold?

As for the actual figures and the apocalyptic incredulity that’s been ignited beyond the Etihad’s spirals, it is noticeable that it’s led to a renewed defiance from Blues in recent weeks, as if the return to the frenzied expenditure of yesteryear has restored the joyful gloating that came with it. In 2008 it was common to see social media posts stating that every time a rival fills up their tank with petrol they are merely boosting City’s already vast coffers. Such posts are back with a vengeance again.

Which is all a far cry from the back-foot stance usually, and instinctively, taken but a direct result of it. In the past decade the fan-base has seen their club repeatedly castigated, belittled to cartoon irrelevance, and lied about while others were being celebrated for displaying identical behaviour.

Fair enough, the feeling seems to be in a summer where City are adhering to stereotype more than ever; if we’re going to be portrayed as serial killers regardless we may as well get some blood on our hands. Hence the boasts and accusations of pure jealousy which, personally, I’m all in favour of. These past few years I have railed against the unbalanced coverage the club receives from the media on so many occasions that certain keys on my keyboard are smoother than others. Now I’m finally beginning to come around to other Blue’s way of thinking: that haters are going to hate no matter what, so why attempt to reason with them? It’s far better to laugh and point to the nearest ESSO garage.

Even so, there are limits of acceptability and this past week has once again seen the rise of the erroneous charge that City are presently in the process of ‘ruining football’. City are not ruining football: at worst they are a Frankenstein’s monster created by a game already long destroyed by atrophied greed.

It was Sky who brought about its annihilation, and seventy quid replica shirts that are imperceptible from the previous effort twelve months before, and agents, and ever-changing kick-off times, and Manchester United pulling out of the FA Cup in 2000, and FIFA being corrupt to its core, and a totally inept ‘fit and proper person test’ for prospective owners, and Ronald McDonald leading players out in friendlies. To claim that the Manchester City of 2017 is in any way damaging English football’s integrity is like blaming the ‘waffer thin mint’ on Monty Python’s Mr Creosote exploding.

In the meantime, before the bubble bursts and the game resumes from scratch on dystopian fields, there is the glamourous allure of the here and now. Manchester City are spending significantly more than your Premier League club this summer. Jealous? Good.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby phips » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 pm

in regards to the "checkbook Pep" quip in the above article:

Pep Guardiola has spent:
€383m at Barca
€195m at Bayern
€459.2m at MCFC

Total = €1.037 BILLION

i believe this is the most by any manager ever.

but one could also say, you need to spend to win. no team is winning without buying good, expensive players and just fielding academy products and cheap gems.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

phips wrote:in regards to the "checkbook Pep" quip in the above article:

Pep Guardiola has spent:
€383m at Barca
€195m at Bayern
€459.2m at MCFC

Total = €1.037 BILLION

but one could also say, you need to spend to win. no team is winning without buying good, expensive players and just fielding academy products and cheap gems.

Who tweeted that Phips?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:in regards to the "checkbook Pep" quip in the above article:

Pep Guardiola has spent:
€383m at Barca
€195m at Bayern
€459.2m at MCFC

Total = €1.037 BILLION

Who tweeted that Phips?

Apparently player sales don't count.

Guardiola changed the way people (and managers (even as far away as South America)) look at the game, it's different now thanks to Pep. You can't buy that.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum