Pep making a point with 352?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep making a point with 352?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am

london blue 2 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I am totally unconvinced by peps tictacs far. Seriously doubting he has the goods atm.

Pass pass pass pass pass pass pass....boreoff

We'd 20 shots at their goal last night. That's around a shot every 3 minutes that we were in possession.

Most of those shots were awful attempts.

That's besides the point.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am

london blue 2 wrote:Sane had a mare in that position vs girona so pep sticks him in there against Everton. It's like he's unwilling to adapt.

I'm struggling to follow your logic, this system is Pep adapting.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 am

london blue 2 wrote:Sane had a mare in that position vs girona so pep sticks him in there against Everton. It's like he's unwilling to adapt.

He played Danilo at left back against Brighton and plenty said it was a mistake as he should have played Sane there. Now he plays Sane as left wing back andplenty say he shouldnt have done etc etc.That's the way it goes.

Sane doesn't have defensive capabilities in his game plus when he plays wing back he isn't often far enough forward to behave like a real winger. He's in between roles and for me it just doesn't work. Maybe Pep will accept that and adapt accordingly.

I reckon out biggest problem was 2 up top. One inevitably drops a bit deeper which takes away something of their game.With the quality we have in midfield surely it's better to have a midfielder attacking from the middle rather than a striker.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 am

Flat out refusing to change a failing system is adapting... Ok then.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

He played Danilo at left back against Brighton and plenty said it was a mistake as he should have played Sane there. Now he plays Sane as left wing back andplenty say he shouldnt have done etc etc.That's the way it goes.

Sane doesn't have defensive capabilities in his game plus when he plays wing back he isn't often far enough forward to behave like a real winger. He's in between roles and for me it just doesn't work. Maybe Pep will accept that and adapt accordingly.

I reckon out biggest problem was 2 up top. One inevitably drops a bit deeper which takes away something of their game.With the quality we have in midfield surely it's better to have a midfielder attacking from the middle rather than a striker.

Could the other Silva be that attacking midfielder, maybe working with a KDB, when he gets up to speed? He slotted a few goals last season.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:02 pm

london blue 2 wrote:

Flat out refusing to change a failing system is adapting... Ok then.

It's an adaptation from where we were last season.

Why you put any stock in that Girona game is beyond me.

The system didn't fail last night, individuals did.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Because sane was awful in that position. So when he plays in that position again and the result is the same I question why he thought it would work against better oppo.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I agree with a lot of that, Sane doesn't work in that position.

I just don't buy into the notion that he won't adapt, he's constantly adapting.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm

I think he tends to play players out of their position.

For me Danilo was mediocre with Brighton on the left, but tonight, on his natural position, right back, he looked fantastic. He had pace, speed, excelent positioning on the back.

our offensive wings, Sterling and Sane, would be fantastic with back-ups like Danilo and Mendy. For Sane to cover the whole left area was a disaster.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 pm

If Danilo is better on the right, ok fair enough, but that leaves us with Mendy and nobody else good enough on the left. Sane wont fit that is clear.
Another left back needed then.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm

I think a lot of us could have predicted that he would play 352 again and the personnel as well without agreeing with it.
I think Pep only changed because he had to, in that game.
I would have much preferred a 451 which is fluid. Meaning it can go 4141 or 4411 or any combination you like for the front six.

I don't think we are currently equipped to do this in Pep's mind, until Mendy is fit.

I hope Pep doesn't persist with system when he gets all players fit, as it makes Sane a liability. He has no defensive instincts.
I salivate at the prospect of him with Mendy behind him though and Raheem with Walker or Danilo behind him.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby mr_nool » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I think a lot of us could have predicted that he would play 352 again and the personnel as well without agreeing with it.
I would have much preferred a 451 which is fluid. Meaning it can go 4141 or 4411 or any combination you like for the front six.

I don't think we are currently equipped to do this in Pep's mind, until Mendy is fit.

I hope Pep doesn't persist with system when he gets all players fit, as it makes Sane a liability. He has no defensive instincts.
I salivate at the prospect of him with Mendy behind him though and Raheem with Walker or Danilo behind him.

Or Raheem in front of Mendy and Sané in front of Walker/Danilo. I think inverted wingers will work a treat with proper pacy fullbacks on the pitch.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

mr_nool wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:I think a lot of us could have predicted that he would play 352 again and the personnel as well without agreeing with it.

Or Raheem in front of Mendy and Sané in front of Walker/Danilo. I think inverted wingers will work a treat with proper pacy fullbacks on the pitch.

Absolutely. I think with a solid back four as a base and real pace at the full backs, our front six can be as fluid as you like, changing within the game when required.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:48 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Absolutely. I think with a solid back four as a base and real pace at the full backs, our front six can be as fluid as you like, changing within the game when required.

A back four, given our riches up front, is a must for me. The thing that strikes me about three at the back is that it seems like the manager doesn't think any two of those three are good enough on their own accord. An extra defender just wastes a place in the team.

What we are seriously lacking IMO is a box to box midfielder. It pains me to say so but in the next 12 - 18 months I think Pogba will be that player. I know he was poor last year but I do see him turning into a very good player. All our midfielders on the right side of 30 are attacking ones. We need some steel and muscle in there too
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 pm

I know it's en vogue to be against the 352 now, but...

Sam Lee (also Gaz) on this week's BM podcast saying a lot of what I've been thinking and wrote in a few other threads about the 352:

A) City fans should not expect it to go away after 2 weeks

B) Being used to get the team to get accustomed to it over the course of the season as an alternative other than 433/4141 (including as some have suggested for CL)

C) Expect Sane to play at LWB again against Bournemouth because who else is going to play there? (Mendy likely to play, but not to start)

D) Is really using 3 defenders not 5, as it's meant to enhance the attack, not be more defensive, as they are in midfield, but also allows enough protection on the counter
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Justified logic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm

PrezIke wrote:I know it's en vogue to be against the 352 now, but...

Sam Lee (also Gaz) on this week's BM podcast saying a lot of what I've been thinking and wrote in a few other threads about the 352:

B) Being used to get the team to get accustomed to it over the course of the season as an alternative other than 433/4141 (including as some have suggested for CL)

C) Expect Sane to play at LWB again against Bournemouth because who else is going to play there? (Mendy likely to play, but not to start)

D) Is really using 3 defenders not 5, as it's meant to enhance the attack, not be more defensive, as they are in midfield, but also allows enough protection on the counter

If Sane gets back, yes. If he doesn't, then goal.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Justified logic wrote:

Therein lies the problem.
With the right personnel any system may work.
People are objecting to round pegs in square holes while we're waiting on the square pegs to get fit.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

People are objecting to round pegs in square holes while we're waiting on the square pegs to get fit.

And it's a fair objection but what do we do tomorrow? We have no fit left back, Danilo has to play right because of Walker's unjust suspension, who plays left wingback?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:57 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

And it's a fair objection but what do we do tomorrow? We have no fit left back, Danilo has to play right because of Walker's unjust suspension, who plays left wingback?

I don't think it will happen but I'd like to see Bernardo start instead of Sane. Still a round peg, but damn near impossible to take the ball off him.
Currently Sane is losing possession too easily.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby fangsanalsatan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:11 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Fernandinho?
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum