Johnny Evans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Johnny Evans

Postby city72 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am

£18 million bid rejected, thank fuk
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:16 am

I reckon this will go through for 20m, alot of news reports saying they will accept 20 and he has agreed personal terms already.

I think he is a decent player, good value and fits in with what we need and how we play.....but he's a rag so,,,,,

Thinking about it though, i dont remember any ex rags flopping(hughes aside) they have all done ok for us, in fact i reckon Terry cooke was the reason we got promoted in 99 he was that good for that half a season. Even Cole did well before fucking us over.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Dub City » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

Only thing that would make any sense is if Tosin is being sent out on loan for a year to get experience. If he has been given a new contract and told he will be given a chance this season and then we go and sign Evans and keeping Tosin in squad below him its a slap in the face just like with Denayer signing new contract , having the big promoted to first team thing and then shipped out on loan and signing Otta a couple weeks later. Not saying Denayer is or was good enough for our first team cause we never got to find out after the year he had at Celtic and two then two other loan moves that haven't worked out. If Tosin isn't good enough yet in the managers opinion sign and we sign a high quality defender great but I just don't see Evans as being good enough to fall into this category.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Dub City » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:20 am

Dubciteh wrote:I reckon this will go through for 20m, alot of news reports saying they will accept 20 and he has agreed personal terms already.

I think he is a decent player, good value and fits in with what we need and how we play.....but he's a rag so,,,,,

Thinking about it though, i dont remember any ex rags flopping(hughes aside) they have all done ok for us, in fact i reckon Terry cooke was the reason we got promoted in 99 he was that good for that half a season. Even Cole did well before fucking us over.

Ah come on Andy Morrison was the reason we got promoted in 99 !
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby mr_nool » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 am

Can't wait to hear NQDP's take on this. :shock:
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:If he was a decent ex-rag, I wouldn't be happy.

If he wasn't a ex-rag and was just not good enough, I wouldn't be happy.

He's a shit, ex-rag so I can't believe this is the best the scouts can come up with. I know they also found Ottamendi and Mangala under whatever weird description of a centre half they have, but fucking Evans. Still, he was only found guilty of the spitting charge, the rape allegation was dropped, so cracking bloke.

This, The big question who is the defensive scout, SACK the Twat ! He is clearly a fucktard.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

city72 wrote:£18 million bid rejected, thank fuk

That is yesterday's bullshit from SKY "sources" . The "story" has been removed from SKY

Move on chaps we are getting a new striker very soon !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Dubciteh wrote:I reckon this will go through for 20m, alot of news reports saying they will accept 20 and he has agreed personal terms already.

How the fuck is 20 million good value?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:51 am

Ex rag cunt Evans isn't even worth a bag of soggy chips get fucking real !!!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 am

Fidel Castro wrote:

How the fuck is 20 million good value?

Relatively good compared to the market. When vdv is 70m 20m is cheap when u look at what ur getting imo.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

Dub City wrote:

Morrison definitely a huge part of it but i felt we only started to look threatening when attacking when Cooke joined. Morrison shored us up and cooke got us going going forward it is how i recall it.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

I am a massive fan of Pep, however if Ramos had been flirted by Madrid, after his 100th red card found himself at Malaga, was still a quality player, Pep might want to bring him in at Barca as he is as good as it gets, however the fans and the catalan media would have told him to think again. So I say Pep think again mate. Surely to fuck you can do better for a start,why not blow the Saints and the dippers out of the water with a proper deal for a proper player in VVD and never mention this rag again. 20 mill for a rag and close to 30, or 55 mill for A future captain after Vinny.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am

apparently he's in Manchester today and could be signed in time for Everton
so read on

JONNY EVANS
Sam Lee
Manchester City correspondent Goal

The Blues' transfer plans have changed considerably since the end of May and the Northern Irishman is now the only centre-back who ticks all the boxes

SPECIAL REPORT
Manchester City went into this summer looking for a strong, experienced defender capable of standing in for Vincent Kompany and mentoring John Stones, but having chased Virgil van Dijk and Leonardo Bonucci, they are now hoping to complete a move for Jonny Evans before the transfer window closes on August 31.
City's transfer plans have changed constantly throughout the summer, though Dani Alves' last-minute decision to snub Pep Guardiola and join Paris Saint-Germain has proven a major blow with wide-reaching consequences.

At the start of the summer City had intended, ideally, to sign nine players. The priorities were four new full-backs, Ederson, Bernardo Silva and Alexis Sanchez. A centre-back and Kylian Mbappe (or an alternative forward, such as Ousmane Dembele) were regarded as extras which could and would be affected by other incomings and outgoings.

As revealed by Goal in early June, Southampton's Van Dijk had been identified as the top target for centre-back, though the pursuit of Mbappe was one of the factors which would have a bearing on the money City could spend.

In an early setback to the Blues' plans, however, the Dutchman elected to join Liverpool. Though that move remains on ice, City sources have long stressed they will not go back in for the former Celtic man. Then, having initially not expected to be able to prise Leonardo Bonucci from Juventus, City sprang into action once it became known that the Italy international was keen to move on. Talks were initiated with Bonucci's representatives in July, though it was made clear that he prioritised a move to AC Milan so he could be close to Turin and therefore be better able to take care of his son, who fell ill last year.

Man City in talks with West Brom over Evans deal

Bonucci remained in talks with City but was asking for around £180,000 per week, much more than he eventually accepted at San Siro. City believed that to be an attempt to best care for his son in the event he decided to relocate to England.
City were planning for the arrival of Dani Alves in Manchester as they learned Bonucci would, indeed, join Milan. The Brazil right-back emerged as an option for City in April and agreed a two-year contract in June, before he negotiated his exit from Juventus on the premise that he wanted to work with Guardiola and play in the Premier League. Alves met with Guardiola in Barcelona, where they discussed City's transfer plans, one day before he initiated talks with PSG. City officials in Manchester were unmoved by the reports, insisting that Alves would be joining them on their flight to the United States a week down the line.
Indeed, City had already promised journalists a sit-down interview with Alves in Los Angeles, such was their confidence that he would honour his verbal agreement. The official City website had also prepared an array of content, in preparation for his announcement.
Those same City officials only discovered Alves' change of heart on the day his wife posted Instagram pictures of the two arriving in Paris.

The Brazilian's decision has had a big knock-on effect on City's transfer business this summer; it cost the club at least £15m extra in transfer fees, forced them into signing just three full-backs instead of four, and has led to interest in West Brom defender Evans.

Tottenham, under the impression that Alves would be City's first-choice right-back, sensed City's desperation at missing out on the Brazilian and put up their asking price for Kyle Walker, one of the Blues' absolute priority targets.

The two clubs had been negotiating for weeks but a deal was rushed through 48 hours after Alves' PSG moved was made official, with City caving in and agreeing to pay £50m, plus £4m in add-ons, for a player who they had hoped to sign for £45m at most.

Learning of the fee City paid for Walker, Monaco demanded the same for Benjamin Mendy, another fundamental target. City had hoped to sign the Frenchman for £40m at the end of last season, but in the end paid roughly £52m.
Mendy's signature was secured around a day after City signed Danilo from Real Madrid. As revealed by Goal, City had been one of several teams to enquire about the right-back earlier this year, only to be informed that the Brazilian wanted to stay at the Santiago Bernabeu.
However, Juventus persuaded Danilo to leave Madrid as they pursued a replacement for Alves, though having agreed personal terms with the 26-year-old, they eventually elected to sign Douglas Costa as their one remaining non-EU player instead, leaving Danilo keen for a new challenge but with nowhere to go.
City subsequently reignited their earlier interest and agreed a deal worth £26.9m with Madrid, seeing off a rival bid from Chelsea with the help of a phone call from Guardiola.
But it quickly emerged that the extra money spent on Walker, Mendy and Danilo - as a direct result of Alves' snub - had forced an end to City's interest in Ryan Bertrand, who would have been the Blues' fourth full-back, at a cost of at least £35m.
The failure to sign Bertrand also left City in need of a different homegrown player to boost their quota for UEFA competitions.

Meanwhile, Guardiola had confirmed during City's time in the US that Aleksandar Kolarov had asked to leave the club and join Roma. That was another spanner in the works for Guardiola, who had been counting on Kolarov for the new season and had in fact planned to sell Nicolas Otamendi for at least £20m to help fund a move for a big-money centre-back.
In City's original plans, Kolarov would have remained as fourth-choice centre-back, with the new recruit, the Van Dijk or Bonucci-type figure, competing with Kompany and Stones and helping to strengthen the backline. Guardiola's annoyance at Kolarov's decision was made clear when he told the press he does not want to work with players who wanted to leave. That decision also helped force City to look for a cheaper option at centre-back, and moves for Real Sociedad's Inigo Martinez and Middlesbrough's Ben Gibson had been explored. Though both are regarded as viable options, and could be targeted in future, Guardiola is desperate for a more senior option, in part to help Stones' development.

That helps to explain why 19-year-old Tosin Adarabioyo, who signed a new deal earlier this summer, has never been considered as an option for the current season. Meanwhile, Eliaquim Mangala, who has been training with the first-team recently, will be allowed to leave once a new defender, potentially Evans, is signed.
Barca's dirty transfer tactics
Everything that transpired in July - the extra money spent on full-backs, the inability to sign Bertrand or Bonucci, and Kolarov's shock decision to leave - has led to City moving for Evans.The profile for a new centre-back at the start of the summer was a strong leader, with top-level experience, capable of playing the ball out from the back. Once it became clear that Bertrand was no longer obtainable, City also had to add 'homegrown' to their list of boxes to be ticked.
Guardiola, during his time as Barcelona boss, admired Evans as he was breaking into the Manchester United team in his early 20s.

The Northern Ireland international is far from City's first-choice target for the position, and is not expected to make as big an impact on the team as the club's original targets. Indeed, he has been lined up as Kolarov's replacement, and therefore would be fourth choice in the pecking order.
But for around £20m, Evans' arrival will allow City to continue their pursuit of Alexis and Mbappe.

City decided not to sign a central midfielder this summer and will instead dedicate plenty of next summer's budget to finding replacements for Yaya Toure and Fernandinho, who could both leave on free transfers.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mr_nool » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am

If everything in that article is true, it seems evident that we started the transfer window with an idea of playing 4 at the back (our main plan was to sign 4 fullbacks; a new centre half was seen as an extra), but that Pep somewhere along the line has changed his focus to 3-5-2 (we are no longer pursuing a 4th fullback, but are desperate enough for a centre half to go for Evans). I wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg? Did Pep change his mind due to our failings in the transfer market, or have our transfer focus changed because of him opting for another system?

I'm aware that Pep won't play just one formation, but I do think that there will be one standard, go-to formation and lineup.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

mr_nool wrote:If everything in that article is true, it seems evident that we started the transfer window with an idea of playing 4 at the back (our main plan was to sign 4 fullbacks; a new centre half was seen as an extra), but that Pep somewhere along the line has changed his focus to 3-5-2 (we are no longer pursuing a 4th fullback, but are desperate enough for a centre half to go for Evans). I wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg? Did Pep change his mind due to our failings in the transfer market, or have our transfer focus changed because of him opting for another system?

I'm aware that Pep won't play just one formation, but I do think that there will be one standard, go-to formation and lineup.

I think he's saying that Kolarov asking to go was the catalyst. Up to then he reckons Otter was offsky which surely means they'd get another CB, but after Alves ratted and the £25m on Danilo they can only afford Evans plus Sanchez/Mbappe.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Dub City wrote:

Morrison definitely a huge part of it but i felt we only started to look threatening when attacking when Cooke joined. Morrison shored us up and cooke got us going going forward it is how i recall it.

Agreed it was Morrison more than anyone who dragged us kicking and screaming out of the division, we needed a player who was happy to kick us up the arse to get us out of that division and Morrison was the right man for the job. If memory serves me right Cooke looked the absolute business whilst on loan, the moment he signed a contract he turned shite!
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

So, it's Alves and Kolarov's fault that we're signing Evans?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am

Any cunt in a vault of a pub could come up with the shit Sam Lee has come out with there . All ifs and buts and purely based on twitter info . Ffs Kolarov putting in a transfer request was the catalyst ??? these amature journo,s are beyond belief they get all there info off twitter and Internet forums . No fucking way would City spend £20 million on a 4th choice shite defender who was fucking hopeless for the rags . Jonny Evans deal hiding up City,s pursuit of Sanchez and Mbappe yeah right what a load of fucking bollocks !!!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:So, it's Alves and Kolarov's fault that we're signing Evans?

According to SKY "sources" and twitter follower Sam Lee . World has gone fucking mad pal.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 am

City64 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:So, it's Alves and Kolarov's fault that we're signing Evans?

According to SKY "sources" and twitter follower Sam Lee . World has gone fucking mad pal.

Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum