Are we just simply too arrogant?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Are we just simply too arrogant?

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm

To realise we need to put in a fight right from the kick off?

11v11 slow passing, no urgency in our play. Go one down, get annoyed when things don't go our way do stupid thing to get sent off.

That and a Pep talk was needed to get urgency to our play.
Why can't we start games with intensity like that?
Personally I would not rule out arrogance based on last couple of seasons

PS. I seem to remember there was a thread somewhere about us being flat track bullies a whil back. Coincidence?

Discuss
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Are we just simply too arrogant?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 pm

I agree somewhat with your general point, we lack intensity from the off.

I take exception however to your suggestion that Walker did something stupid, that decision was up there with the most farcical I've seen.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I agree somewhat with your general point, we lack intensity from the off.

I take exception however to your suggestion that Walker did something stupid, that decision was up there with the most farcical I've seen.

Correct.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby sheblue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm

I dont think we're arrogant. I think we're too slow.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Bollocks. We're too soft, that's our biggest fault.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 pm

I think we play our game and it relies on us taking at least one of the good chances we create. Today we were not good from the start but we were growing into it and starting to create chances How the hell Kun didn't even shhot and then Silva hits the post before the crazy mistake gives them their one chance to score.

Did they have another chance? I can't remember one. Did we have plenty yes we did so I don't think there was too much wrong today apart from missing great chances. And we all know the sending off was just plain wrong. If it was Oliver who called it then it was doubly wrong.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby MUS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Are we just not as good as we think we are? Perhaps this is a good result to get early on so we don't get arrogant like we did in the previous two early season false dawns
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think we play our game and it relies on us taking at least one of the good chances we create. Today we were not good from the start but we were growing into it and starting to create chances How the hell Kun didn't even shhot and then Silva hits the post before the crazy mistake gives them their one chance to score.

Did they have another chance? I can't remember one. Did we have plenty yes we did so I don't think there was too much wrong today apart from missing great chances. And we all know the sending off was just plain wrong. If it was Oliver who called it then it was doubly wrong.

I think taking an early chance would make such s difference. I'm dying to see us do that this season, because I think we should be better equipped to punish teams that need to open up a bit.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby aaron bond » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 am

We don't have enough strikers. It was evident last year and it's evident now.

Even though Mancini and Pellegrini far outperformed Pep, there were still many occasions under them when we played very slowly or struggled against teams parking the bus. But we had 4 excellent strikers to call upon and were able to rotate them throughout the season.

We now have 2. Fortunately Aguero is one of the best in the world, but Jesus is still young and learning his trade in the Premier League.

We need to buy 1 top class striker as our midfielders do not score enough goals.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think we play our game and it relies on us taking at least one of the good chances we create. Today we were not good from the start but we were growing into it and starting to create chances How the hell Kun didn't even shhot and then Silva hits the post before the crazy mistake gives them their one chance to score.

I think we must be up there with the very top teams in the world as far as chances to score go, we just do not convert an acceptable % of those chances and Aguero is guilty of so many misses when he should score -which seems harsh as the guy scores loads as well,
but he cannot be free of blame considering the kind of miss he made today.
As for Silva!!!! he is fucking useless in front of goal and I really do mean hes useless - always the same story , hits the post or misses more often than not.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I think we must be up there with the very top teams in the world as far as chances to score go, we just do not convert an acceptable % of those chances and Aguero is guilty of so many misses when he should score -which seems harsh as the guy scores loads as well,
but he cannot be free of blame considering the kind of miss he made today.
As for Silva!!!! he is fucking useless in front of goal and I really do mean hes useless - always the same story , hits the post or misses more often than not.

Except when he plays for Spain.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am

aaron bond wrote:We don't have enough strikers. It was evident last year and it's evident now.

Even though Mancini and Pellegrini far outperformed Pep, there were still many occasions under them when we played very slowly or struggled against teams parking the bus. But we had 4 excellent strikers to call upon and were able to rotate them throughout the season.

We now have 2. Fortunately Aguero is one of the best in the world, but Jesus is still young and learning his trade in the Premier League.

We need to buy 1 top class striker as our midfielders do not score enough goals.

It seems so odd that pep switches to a formation to cater for two strikers, sells one of our only three strikers and basiclaly leaves us with two strikers for two spots and no one else. Its ridiculous the more i think about it. No striking option on the bench instead we have 4/5 midfielders all of the same kind. Makes no sense and i hate to say it but appears pep is winging it based on that.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Justified logic » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am

I don't think arrogant is the right word. I'd love our team to be arrogant: to go out every time with enormous self-confidence and passion and the firm belief we are GOING TO demolish these opponents. What we seem to have is £m's spent on transfers and wages (and the 'best manager' in the world) with the HOPE that these will carry us through, which is fine until we come up against a determined defence, a quality PL contender or a European giant. If complacency is arrogance without passion and belief, then that is what I think we suffer from. We need players with fire in their bellies, locals who do give a shit about the club and their future international careers - English, Mancunian players or at least ones who have grown up in Manchester (through the Academy).

We also need decent LWB cover, but that's another topic.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 am

Deja vu.

For me looks like the same scenario over and over again. We start, the game good, miss chances, then we reiceve a stupid goal then we have to go and run after the equaliser for the rest of the game.
When we are speaking about arrogance, we need to stop saying ”we”. We are not, Guardiola is. His stubborness with a system that does not work fucked us all of that season and looks like is about to happen again. 3-5-2 does not work for us, simple as that.

We won the leagues playing 4 on the back, being solid there and deadly upfront. We are the best valued team in the league, by a mile. Play with 4 and win the league. Simple as that. For me the glass is almost full when it comes to our manager. No one is above my club, no one, even if his name is Guardiola, Messi or Maradona.

I will give him until this winter, if he persist with this nonsense, playing players out of position, having shit tactics, for me he is done.

We should had won last night.
Last edited by PeterParker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 am

So basically nothing has changed from.last season.

Great.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Return to The Maine Football forum