Kept my powder dry until now

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Kept my powder dry until now

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:I'd agree with everything you say there. As I said to a friend the other day, our squad can be summarized thus:

We're a minor injury and card to a centre half away from dropping 6 points, and a minor injury to a striker away from dropping 4 points.

I'd guess that it's not only me that's aware of this, but opposition managers, too.

It's a pretty worrying situation to be in, and I'm not expecting any improvement on last year either league position (although I'd expect us to be closer to 2nd than 4th this time round) or silverware wise, although I'm expecting further progress in the CL.

I think the red card threat is an even higher risk than the injury probability.
Starting with Liverpool. Wait and see.

I'm not quite sure IWT; I think Aguero and Jesus can look forward to being kicked from pillar to post by all and sundry, with the thuggery involved in that going totally unpunished by 'lenient' referees.

If both of those two manage to 'survive' unscathed into October, it'll be a downright miracle.

Mind you, between injuries and red cards, it could be a damn close run thing.

sadly You're correct MC and I can see one thing feeding off the other. We'll see the punishment inflicted on Silva last year being dished out across the board this year and somebody is going to snap and lose the head. ala Sergio last year against Chelsea.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:need a new director of football asap

Anyone in particular in mind?

Kolarov.

Long term - Vinnie? He's sharp enough, well respected, and bleeds Blue.

Good call D; it's a pity we couldn't give him the job straight away.

With regard to Kolarov as an option; he couldn't do any worse than the present incumbent.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby sheblue » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:I'd agree with everything you say there. As I said to a friend the other day, our squad can be summarized thus:

We're a minor injury and card to a centre half away from dropping 6 points, and a minor injury to a striker away from dropping 4 points.

I'd guess that it's not only me that's aware of this, but opposition managers, too.

It's a pretty worrying situation to be in, and I'm not expecting any improvement on last year either league position (although I'd expect us to be closer to 2nd than 4th this time round) or silverware wise, although I'm expecting further progress in the CL.

I'm not quite sure IWT; I think Aguero and Jesus can look forward to being kicked from pillar to post by all and sundry, with the thuggery involved in that going totally unpunished by 'lenient' referees.

If both of those two manage to 'survive' unscathed into October, it'll be a downright miracle.

There is no doubt that red cards and inflicted 'injuries' as well as 'normal' injuries will have a huge impact no matter what pep does.
Two sent off in three games for inocouous stuff already. And loads of kicks and rough justice handed out. Teams know they can get away with it so it won't stop.
But such facts will be ignored. Even by some of our own preferring to blame the manger for everything.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm

sheblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

There is no doubt that red cards and inflicted 'injuries' as well as 'normal' injuries will have a huge impact no matter what pep does.
Two sent off in three games for inocouous stuff already. And loads of kicks and rough justice handed out. Teams know they can get away with it so it won't stop.
But such facts will be ignored. Even by some of our own preferring to blame the manger for everything.

I just wish we had an 'enforcer' in the middle; a hard man who could dish out some rough treatment to opposing players and, if necessary, administer some retribution where needed, even if it meant getting a few yellow cards in so doing. Someone like Big Nige (de Jong) would be ideal today as, at the moment, we just seem a little soft and polite in the way we play with regard to the physical side of things.

Ideally, it would be someone who could hoof an opposing player into Row Z, but do it with a smile on his face and have a laugh with the referee about it; someone who would make opponents think twice about taking liberties with our own players..............

.......or is this just too simplistic ??

As an aside, I also remember a comment that Big Mal made in an interview when he left City in the 1980s. He said that, at the end of the day, he regretted not getting a 'dog' in midfield but then, with a twinkle in his eye, he said "but you know me, I would have wanted a dog that could win at Crufts".
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Burt wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Nice to hear from you Burt how's Ernie.

You're not too old for a thick ear laddie

on a serious note if we cannot keep Vinny fit taking our chances will become crucial, I still see us like a siv without him,still leaderless if he gets injured.

I am judging pep on how we deal with the dippers home and away, if he is the dogs nuts prove it v the scousers, we roll over at Clanfield and need to put a marker down at home..
Have a nice weekend mate xx

no, keep it short ... Bert , where did i park my bike ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Spurge » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:20 am

dazby wrote:Sterling can play up front if required. Maybe a kid could play up front. You know, those players that never get a chance.

But really, the mids just need to step up and contribute.

I'm not overly fussed we didnt bring another striker in, as you say sterling and also sane could play up top if asked.

We have an abundance of attack minded players who can contribute. I do get we need to be more clinical that would be a slight concern but i feel even now we have sufficient competition for places for this not to be a key problem where getting over the line and winning games is concerned.

Come january assuming sanchez arrives we will of course be stronger offensively.

As for the defence i struggled to get my head round the johhny evans thing, though there were a few in for him which maybe says something. That said if ever he was in the rags line up on derby day it was always a positive for us! Mangala dug his heels in and stays and by all accounts had a decent pre season. Time and a lack of game time has taken him out of the media spotlight a bit so if he gets the opportunity will be interesting to see how he performs.

Overall im pretty happy with how we fared in this window the pick of which is bernado silva for me. His price shows the importance of getting your business done early.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 am

Are people really unhappy with our manager and playing personnel?

We have the most attacking line up in the PL with some of the best players the PL has seen. Yes our squad is not perfect, no ones is.

Are we an injury or two away from a spot of bother in the defence? Probably. But again, so are all the other teams around us.
Can we cope up front with an injury or two? Much better than our rivals I'd suggest.

We have played three games and won both the away games. The draw at home to Everton was disappointing but this can in no small part be attributed to corrupt officials. The new signings have settled well, we still have Gundogan to bolster the middle and Jesus is starting to show the form he had last season.

I am still very much in the camp of being satisfied with our business done and how we have started
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:36 am

nottsblue wrote:Are people really unhappy with our manager and playing personnel?

We have the most attacking line up in the PL with some of the best players the PL has seen. Yes our squad is not perfect, no ones is.

Are we an injury or two away from a spot of bother in the defence? Probably. But again, so are all the other teams around us.
Can we cope up front with an injury or two? Much better than our rivals I'd suggest.

We have played three games and won both the away games. The draw at home to Everton was disappointing but this can in no small part be attributed to corrupt officials. The new signings have settled well, we still have Gundogan to bolster the middle and Jesus is starting to show the form he had last season.

I am still very much in the camp of being satisfied with our business done and how we have started

That's the way the overwhelming majority of fans feel right now I think. We share several well-aired misgivings no doubt but this is the start of the season and are all hoping for glory this time round.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Burt.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Burt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

Bump.

I fuckin knew it would happen sooner rather than later and this may just be the start.

Absolutely fuming!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Burt wrote:Bump.

I fuckin knew it would happen sooner rather than later and this may just be the start.

Absolutely fuming!

4 weeks i reckon. Although I haven't practiced medicine for quite some time.

Just means bringing bernardo in from the start and giving jesus the slot up front, which is the one he's best at.

Might not be as bad as you think
Original Dub

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Cunte and the deluded 1 will be kicking Jesus up and down, he gets crocked we are de-railed big time.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Rip the chavs a new one 2moz sort your head out Burt CTID
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sparklehorse » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Get Ya Ya in as No.9.......that'll scare the living daylight out of them !!!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum