Pep's Obsession...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep's Obsession...

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

.... with false 9 position is driving me mad. All this Sanchez shabang was all about getting someone to play that precious position of his. We already have one of the best true 9's in the world in Aguero but that doesn't suit him. Now he spreads his obsession on trying to put Sterling there who isn't suited to that position at all. Sure he is small and fast like Messi but he lacks many of the qualities Messi has. And I like Sterling as a player but he is winger. End of.

I don't know if people know this but Pep's ethos is that in first two thirds of the pitch players have to follow his instructions to a T. No questions asked. In final third they are on their own and are more or less free to do whatever they want. Traditional 9 striker doesn't suit that system because player like that lives in the final third. That's Aguero. With false 9 striker he can pull striker to middle third and follow his instructions. I get that. I remember Thierry Henry telling a story about Pep when he had just arrived. Pep told him to stay at the left part of the pitch in first two thirds NEVER to drift in the middle never mind to the right side of the pitch. So Henry is there all half waving his hand a never receiving the ball. In final minutes of the first half he gets tired, drifts to right and gets perfect pass from Iniesta or Xavi or whoever. He gets through and scores a goal. He watches to the bench where everyone is celebrating except for Pep who is looking murky. Pep takes Henry off at the half time and doesn't say a word to him following week. That's Pep for you.

Now I respect his system and I respect the man and the manager but FUCKING HELL he needs to be more flexible with what he has got. We wasted the end of the transfer window chasing Sanchez who I'm sure in his mind would be perfect false 9 for his precious system and now is forcing the issue otherwise. Let it the fuck go. Concentrate on fucking centerbacks and if you really insist then teach the position to Aguero. I mean you already did it to Messi and Mandzukic.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Pep's Obsession...

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:.... with false 9 position is driving me mad. All this Sanchez shabang was all about getting someone to play that precious position of his. We already have one of the best true 9's in the world in Aguero but that doesn't suit him. Now he spreads his obsession on trying to put Sterling there who isn't suited to that position at all. Sure he is small and fast like Messi but he lacks many of the qualities Messi has. And I like Sterling as a player but he is winger. End of.

I don't know if people know this but Pep's ethos is that in first two thirds of the pitch players have to follow his instructions to a T. No questions asked. In final third they are on their own and are more or less free to do whatever they want. Traditional 9 striker doesn't suit that system because player like that lives in the final third. That's Aguero. With false 9 striker he can pull striker to middle third and follow his instructions. I get that. I remember Thierry Henry telling a story about Pep when he had just arrived. Pep told him to stay at the left part of the pitch in first two thirds NEVER to drift in the middle never mind to the right side of the pitch. So Henry is there all half waving his hand a never receiving the ball. In final minutes of the first half he gets tired, drifts to right and gets perfect pass from Iniesta or Xavi or whoever. He gets through and scores a goal. He watches to the bench where everyone is celebrating except for Pep who is looking murky. Pep takes Henry off at the half time and doesn't say a word to him following week. That's Pep for you.

Now I respect his system and I respect the man and the manager but FUCKING HELL he needs to be more flexible with what he has got. We wasted the end of the transfer window chasing Sanchez who I'm sure in his mind would be perfect false 9 for his precious system and now is forcing the issue otherwise. Let it the fuck go. Concentrate on fucking centerbacks and if you really insist then teach the position to Aguero. I mean you already did it to Messi and Mandzukic.

I think he is teaching the position to Aguero and it is partly the reason why his conversion rate has dropped off. He is now over thinking what he should be doing in each game and is not fully concentrated when he is in front of goal. He has missed some sitters in the last year, just not like him at all.

I heard that interview with Henry and he was very appreciative of Pep. Said something like that Pep was right and if players listened to him, they would be very successful.

We badly needed a third goalscorer up front. At the moment Sergio is double marked and is closed out of the game and is finding it hard to link up with Jesus. I think if we had got Sanchez, we would have seen a front three of Jesus - Sergio - Sanchez. Sergio would have been able to play a more orthodox nr. 9 as the centre backs would have goal threats from the inside channel in Jesus and Sanchez with the full backs occupied by our fullbacks going forward. Sterling, Sane, B. Silva just dont have the same killer instinct of collecting the ball and going for goal. Without checking the stats, they seem like players who will provide more assists than goals (except for maybe Sterling last Year?).
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:40 pm

He is one of the most inflexible managers i have ever come across.

I was a huge fan abd all last season gave him benefit of any doubt but this year im turning by the day.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Justified logic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 pm

And then there was Nacho Man. A natural goal poacher turned to shit and turned out of the club.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Dubciteh wrote:He is one of the most inflexible managers i have ever come across.

I was a huge fan abd all last season gave him benefit of any doubt but this year im turning by the day.

What bothers me is that air of superiority like he has somehow figured out the extremely complicated game that football is. That system of his was revolutionery at Barcelona. No question about it. But football is also everevolving game. New ideas come and it takes time for oppositions to figure it out. But these days there are more than enough teams playing 4-3-3 (0r 4-6-0 or 3-6-1 all variations of same principle) with false 9 middle man. Managers know how to counter it. He really needs to cook something new and also appreciate what he has got.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Justified logic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:He is one of the most inflexible managers i have ever come across.

What bothers me is that air of superiority like he has somehow figured out the extremely complicated game that football is. That system of his was revolutionery at Barcelona. No question about it. But football is also everevolving game. New ideas come and it takes time for oppositions to figure it out. But these days there are more than enough teams playing 4-3-3 (0r 4-6-0 or 3-6-1 all variations of same principle) with false 9 middle man. Managers know how to counter it. He really needs to cook something new and also appreciate what he has got.

Yeah, haven't Barca and Spain had their arses whopped recently? I think City's top management have been driving with their eyes on the rearview mirror since Mancini was pushed out.
Justified logic

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Justified logic wrote:

Yeah, haven't Barca and Spain had their arses whopped recently? I think City's top management have been driving with their eyes on the rearview mirror since Mancini was pushed out.

Just musing, but I wonder what Pellegrini would have done with the players we now have in the side. I wonder how he would have set us up and the kind of football we would have played and what formations we might have adopted.

We certainly produced some fine attacking football in his first season and, although nothing is certain in life, we would probably have been a team well worth watching.

However, as I say, I'm just musing.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:35 pm

The constant negativity from our own fans is what's driving me mad.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Green & Blue wrote:The constant negativity from our own fans is what's driving me mad.

Imagine the meltdown if we lose to the Dippers.
We're 3 games into the season FFS.
Wait until Christmas before attempting to judge.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby dazby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:46 pm

I think what you are trying to say NQDP is that you're unhappy we didn't get Sanchez?

We should have got another cenreback?

Or were you just venting?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby zuricity » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:The constant negativity from our own fans is what's driving me mad.

Er... it is his second season , xmas doesn't exist. The cork is squeaking already in the constipated Monkeys bum.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 pm

zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Er... it is his second season , xmas doesn't exist. The cork is squeaking already in the constipated Monkeys bum.

It is his 2nd season and this is definitely now his team. No excuses.
3 games in and the transfer window circus had ended. We know who we're left with. Let him get on with it.
Don't understand the rest but it sounded good.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Justified logic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

3 games in and the transfer window circus had ended. We know who we're left with. Let him get on with it.

I think he meant we are about to go on one megashitfest of a scoring spree. I think that's what he meant but I've never scored with a monkey.
Justified logic

Postby zuricity » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

you have been awarded the task of getting the cork back to save half a bottle of wine for tomorrow
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:30 pm

zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

you have been awarded the task of getting the cork back to save half a bottle of wine for tomorrow

Did you hear about the exploding monkey?

It went
BA-BOOOONNNN!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Just musing, but I wonder what Pellegrini would have done with the players we now have in the side. I wonder how he would have set us up and the kind of football we would have played and what formations we might have adopted.

We certainly produced some fine attacking football in his first season and, although nothing is certain in life, we would probably have been a team well worth watching.

However, as I say, I'm just musing.

Even less than Bobby Manc , to think we chose Spafia over Mafia !!!!
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:.... with false 9 position is driving me mad.
I don't really have issue with this (see below)

Now he spreads his obsession on trying to put Sterling there who isn't suited to that position at all. Sure he is small and fast like Messi but he lacks many of the qualities Messi has. And I like Sterling as a player but he is winger. End of.
I fully agree with all of this. The harsh truth bolded

I don't know if people know this but Pep's ethos is that in first two thirds of the pitch players have to follow his instructions to a T. No questions asked. In final third they are on their own and are more or less free to do whatever they want.
This, in my honest opinion, is why I think Pep is overrated. Yes, his system in the first two parts (and the high press originally built/used) was/is fabulous...BUT. He had THE best player of this generation to unlock the defences. And certain other deeceent lads there as well...

I love the lads we have here but they just aren't at the same level.
And yes. I do think a rainy Tuesday at Stoke is harder than travelling to Eibar or Augsburg.

Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:I think he is teaching the position to Aguero and it is partly the reason why his conversion rate has dropped off. He is now over thinking what he should be doing in each game and is not fully concentrated when he is in front of goal. He has missed some sitters in the last year, just not like him at all.

And...last year? Dude. Serge has kept on missing chances way before Pep arrived. Sometimes people forget that as he has scored a lot throughout the years. He will still score a lot just like before but it's not like he suddenly started missing after Pep arrived that's just bollocks 1000% it started way before
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Spurge » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:28 am

Blimey you're gonna despise the man in may at this rate.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 am

We've started with 2 up front in 2 of our 3 games this season. Was that a false 10 as well as a false 9 or was it two false nines?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum