next : liverpool (h)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: next : liverpool (h)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Well their tactic shouldn't be hard to work out. Defence then lightning breaks. But then we don't worry about the oppo do we?

No we don't, St John. It staggers me how we set up to play without any consideration for the oppo. I'm increasingly dismayed at Pep but keep hoping some miraculous football will suddenly appear but that's a bit like hoping your ice cream won't melt in the sun.

You obviously didn't see our game at the swamp last season then or our home game against Barcelona??
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

4-0
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Well their tactic shouldn't be hard to work out. Defence then lightning breaks. But then we don't worry about the oppo do we?

No we don't, St John. It staggers me how we set up to play without any consideration for the oppo. I'm increasingly dismayed at Pep but keep hoping some miraculous football will suddenly appear but that's a bit like hoping your ice cream won't melt in the sun.

You obviously didn't see our game at the swamp last season then or our home game against Barcelona??

I did actually, with my own eyes. I was there as I am every week in every competition. Nervous as fuck in the second half at OT by the way. It's not easy though is it, trying to pick out those performances. My main concern is they are looking less likely............tomorrow is just a day away.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

I did actually, with my own eyes. I was there as I am every week in every competition. Nervous as fuck in the second half at OT by the way. It's not easy though is it, trying to pick out those performances. My main concern is they are looking less likely............tomorrow is just a day away.

Thing is mate, we are in the top three for chances created in this league, we concede less chances than anyone. That is owing to the football we play, it may not be miraculous but it's pretty damn good, what let's us down for the most part is profligacy and individual errors in defence, as well as sub par goalkeeping last season.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 pm

for once in my life, i want to see us show a bit of composure on the ball in the face of the dipper press. we have quality but it never seems to matter against this lot. we fall to pieces every f*cking time. sick to death of it tbh.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

Thing is mate, we are in the top three for chances created in this league, we concede less chances than anyone. That is owing to the football we play, it may not be miraculous but it's pretty damn good, what let's us down for the most part is profligacy and individual errors in defence, as well as sub par goalkeeping last season.

The stats would seem to back that up but you get individual errors, for example, in defence when the individual defenders are not good enough. The keeper situation with Bravo is a perfect example as to why I'm dismayed at times.
As for tactics I will give an example. I sit behind the goal in the south stand. When we played Everton they attacked us down their right hand side every time they got the ball. They never went to their left I.e. they attacked Sane at left wing back. I was sat in a great position to see this and could not understand why this was not addressed. It was approx 25 mins in when Everton scored after a move down that same side. I was pretty frustrated that this had happened as it was so obvious. Sane is a fantastic left winger for me but he is not a defender. When you play left wing back you become s left back when the oppo have the ball down your flank. Sane is not a left back. Koeman knew, the crowd knew that but Pep didn't.
South Stand Balti

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 pm

They targeted Otamendi, not Sane. We did do something about it, Vinnie moved over to that side. Then Sane fucked up, another individual error, nothing to do with tactics.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:They targeted Otamendi, not Sane. We did do something about it, Vinnie moved over to that side. Then Sane fucked up, another individual error, nothing to do with tactics.

Whenever Everton got the ball they put it out very wide down the touch line. Sane struggled, but switching the centre backs did not help Sane. The proof of that being x goal down that side from a Sane fuck up. That's exactly my point.
South Stand Balti

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:59 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:They targeted Otamendi, not Sane. We did do something about it, Vinnie moved over to that side. Then Sane fucked up, another individual error, nothing to do with tactics.

Whenever Everton got the ball they put it out very wide down the touch line. Sane struggled, but switching the centre backs did not help Sane. The proof of that being x goal down that side from a Sane fuck up. That's exactly my point.

They played it long to Calvert-Lewin to challenge Otamendi as Sane was pushed up like Walker was on the opposite side.

Sane's fuck up had nothing to with the centre backs it was just a fuck up.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Burt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:

They played it long to Calvert-Lewin to challenge Otamendi as Sane was pushed up like Walker was on the opposite side.

Absolutely 100% spot on
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Burt wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

Absolutely 100% spot on

I'm not sure how to copy etc on my phone but this is a word by word quote from Richard Tsnner of the Daily Express as it happened report on 32 minutes (if you want to Google it)..."Everton are playing everything down the right-hand side to expose Leroy Sane and avoid Kyle Walker'. The reason Tanner wrote that is because it was so obvious, he was spot on. Koeman was spot on in his tactics to do that. I didn't raise the centre backs as an issue. My point is it was an obvious tactical fault which cost us.
South Stand Balti

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Well, no Vinny, so not sure what to make of this one other than I am more concerned than I was about winning already.

I saw WW's lineup prediction which is a good shout given our defensive frailties without Vinny, and being so possession oriented compare to their counter attacking approach which has hurt us regularly of late. However, Danilo has yet to play a game at DM so would be a fairly big risk, although we know Pep likes to take them. We also have Mendy and Walker's pace and technical ability which will be a big difference compared to past seasons against pressing and counter attacks.

I was still thinking more of Pep's 433/4411 even given Liverpool's pace and attacking ability.

We are at home and do we want to play so conservatively there? I think he will want to let Sane get back into the team in his ideal position with Bernardo on the other flank. Assuming Ilkay is fit, he would then slot in the the holding role and Silva and KDB back into their roaming 8 roles and given that his passing ability is better than Fernandinho should help prevent giveaways that could hurt us. Seems possible Pep puts Ilkay at roaming 8 and KDB in the deeper role, which he has sown some significant ability of late, but he's not as strong defensively, despite putting in a shift every time.

That all being said I'm not terribly confident even as the break may affect team cohesiveness for Liverpool. I see a draw.

This would be okay enough, but I know some of our fans are acting like this is a must win.

Last season we started off extremely well and look what happened? The season is a marathon. I'm far from panicking just yet.

EDIT: Realise I have no explanation about Jesus v. Kun...

Hmm...I think Pep let's Kun get the start. He barely played over the break so is more rested than Jesus.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby blues2win » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm afraid I'd be a bit more defensive. Back four picks itself. I'd play Delph and Fernandinho as defensive mids. Sane Silva D Silva B and Aguero up top. 4-2-3-1.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Mase » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm

I'd go all Keegan and think fuck it let's just smash these and attack like fuck!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Keep the ball and we will be ok. Let them run their gonads off and we will take them in the last 20 minutes.
Tomorrow will be Edersons first real test. Big game for him.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bear60 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 pm

smash the fucking scouse gobshites
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby mr_nool » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Back three with Danilo, Otter and Stones.
You read it here first!

It's not what I want – I prefer a back 4 – but Pep likes his curve balls, and this might just be it after him mentioning Mangala and Tosin in today's press conference.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 pm

They'll have 3 or 4 chances, we'll have 14 or 15. If we have our shooting boots on we'llhammer them 4-1.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Crikey, I thought today we'd lose by three or four goals today; how totally wrong can anyone be ??

Just shows what little I know about football....... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john@staustell » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Crikey, I thought today we'd lose by three or four goals today; how totally wrong can anyone be ??

Just shows what little I know about football....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Being charitable I'd say a lot has changed
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum