Sunday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sunday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:39 pm

THE BOLLOX

Sadio Mane issues apology to Man City keeper Ederson
SADIO MANE has wished Ederson a speedy recovery
The Liverpool forward was shown a straight red card for a high challenge on the Manchester City stopper.
Ederson was forced to leave the field but Pep Guardiola's side rallied against 10 men to thrash the Kop 5-0 at The Etihad today.
Mane insists the collision was accidental, despite the red card he received.
And the Senegal star hopes to see Ederson back on the pitch soon.
SADIO MANE was sent off for a challenge on Ederson today during Liverpool’s game against Manchester City - but the red card seemed very harsh.
On his Instagram account, Mane wrote: "I hope and wish Ederson a quick recovery.
"I am so sorry he was hurt during our accidental collision on the pitch and am sorry for him that he could not complete the match because of it
"I pray he heals fast and is back playing very soon because he is highest quality player."

Gary Neville likens Kevin De Bruyne to David Beckham
Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville has compared the quality of delivery from Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne to his old teammate David Beckham.
De Bruyne was influential as City put 10-man Liverpool to the sword at the Etihad Stadium this afternoon, assisting his side's opening two goals to set them on course for a 5-0 drubbing.
The Belgian recorded more assists than any other player in the Premier League last season, and Neville believes that there are similarities between his passing and that of Beckham, who is widely considered to be one of the best crossers in Premier League history.
"Kevin de Bruyne has sensational quality, he really has. I played with a fantastic crosser and passer of a ball in terms of accuracy - David Beckham - and De Bruyne reminds me of him a lot. He is deliberate and precise, it looks like every cross lands on a sixpence, like he is aiming for the recipient," Neville is quoted as saying by Sky Sports News.
"Too many times you see people cross and aim for an area or zone in the box, but De Bruyne has got the quality and precision to pick people out. David Beckham was like that, it's brilliant to watch. De Bruyne's performance was a polar opposite to the lack of quality Liverpool had in the final third.
"De Bruyne's pass for Aguero's opener and the cross to Jesus for City's second ensured it was going to be a comfortable second half for Manchester City."
Four of City's five goals at the Etihad Stadium came after Sadio Mane had been sent off for a dangerous challenge on goalkeeper Ederson.

Manchester City agreed to sell David Silva to Fenerbahce on Deadline Day
Manchester City were reportedly close to selling Spain international star David Silva on Friday night, according to Hurriyet.
The Premier League side, who faced Liverpool earlier this afternoon at the Etihad Stadium, were linked with offloading the attacking midfielder to Fenerbahce before the close of the Turkish transfer window yesterday.
The 31-year-old, who has 115 international caps for his country, has provided two assists in three league games so far this term for The Citizens – before Saturday’s fixture versus Liverpool.
Silva, who arrived at the Etihad Stadium back in June 2010 following his switch from La Liga outfit Valencia, has netted 51 goals in over 300 appearances in all competitions for City overall, winning two Premier League titles, two League Cups, the FA Cup and the FA Community Shield.
However, the report surprisingly suggests Pep Guardiola was prepared to offload the Spaniard before Friday night’s deadline in Turkey, after a fee was agreed between the two clubs and personal terms had also been reached. SHOOT

Claudio Bravo reveals Alexis Sanchez was bitter about the collapse of his Man City move
Manchester City goalkeeper was with Arsenal star on international duty for Chile when the deal fell through
Claudio Bravo has revealed how Alexis Sanchez reacted with “bitterness” to the deadline day collapse of his move to Manchester City .
And he said that he is hopeful the deal can be resurrected, either in the January window, or next summer, when Sanchez will be available on a free transfer.
The two Chile stars were on international duty together when word arrived from England that a deal worth £60million had fallen apart .
City boss Pep Guardiola wanted to add Sanchez to his striking options, although Gabriel Jesus and Sergio Aguero reacted by scoring three goals between them in the 5-0 demolition of Liverpool.
Arsenal had wanted to replace Sanchez with Monaco ace Thomas Lemar, but were unable to land the player and pulled the plug on the move.
Bravo said: “We were talking in Chile. He went from happiness to bitterness in a few hours, although it's all in the past now.
“The transfer didn't happen because a player didn't go to Arsenal and everything collapsed.”
Said Bravo: “We would have loved to have him here, but the market gives you these time limits and the rush is not good.
“This time it was not possible, but hopefully we have him here in the future.”
Bravo himself made his first appearance of the season, as a sub for injured Ederson – and he was adamant that adio mane's red card challenge was a bad one.
“These things are avoidable, you can easily avoid putting your foot in somebody's face so you don't do them damage,” he said.
“At first I thought that he had hit him in the hip, but then I saw clearly that he got him with the face"

England midfielder Jill Scott has shared an image of a quirky tattoo on her wrist. (Twitter)Image

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne is seemingly starting his own assist business. After his side's win over Liverpool, the Belgium international tweeted team-mate Gabriel Jesus and said just "call me" if you need a goal to be set up. (Twitter)

Manchester City are targeting Tottenham star Toby Alderweireld as a long term replacement of Vincent Kompany.
Belgium international Alderweireld is currently is a contract stand off at Spurs having not agreed a new deal - despite still having a further two seasons left on his current agreement.
Mauricio Pochettino values Alderweireld at £60m having signing him from Atletico Madrid three years ago, according to the Sun.
Kompany only played 11 times last season and missed Saturday's clash with Liverpool with a calf injury.
City wanted to sign centre back Jonny Evans in the summer but couldn't agree a deal with West Brom. Mirror

Vincent Kompany's Manchester City future in jeopardy after infuriating Pep Guardiola by placing country over club
The Belgian played 90 minutes for the Red Devils in the 9-0 World Cup qualifier vs Gibraltar despite injuring himself
Vincent Kompany's Manchester City future is in serious jeopardy after the Belgian defender once again decided to put country before club.
The City skipper infuriated boss Pep Guardiola by playing the full 90 minutes of his nation’s 9-0 World Cup romp over Gibraltar last week despite picking up a calf problem.
Kompany missed yesterday’s crunch Premier League clash against Liverpool.
And Sunday Mirror Sport understands that Blues’ boss Pep Guardiola is so angry that his injury-prone skipper is facing another spell on the sidelines after once again reporting back from international duty carrying a knock, that he is now privately questioning the 31-year-old’s long-term Etihad future.
City made recruiting a new central defender a low priority following the Belgian’s return to fitness at the end of last season.
Kompany suffered a knock in Belgium's win over Gibraltar
Manchester City dealt injury blow ahead of Liverpool showdown as Vincent Kompany is ruled out
They launched a £25million bid for West Brom’s Jonny Evans towards the end of the transfer window, but decided against pursuing the transfer when Elaquim Mangala rejected a £22million switch to Crystal Palace.
And City insiders insisted that the club were comfortable about the failure to sign Evans because Kompany’s apparent return to his imperious best in the first three games of the season.
Guardiola is now fuming that a player with such a dire fitness record failed to heed the signals when he suffered a knock to his knee that later caused his tro
The fact that Belgium were playing the minnows of Gibraltar has increased the Catalan’s frustration.
Kompany has been cursed by injuries since damaging his calf in the historic 3-2 victory over QPR in May 2012 that sealed the club’s first Premier League title.
And City have long been concerned that many of his problems have been inflicted on international duty.
Last season, he pulled out of Belgium’s friendly against Holland after feeling discomfort in his knee.
International boss Roberto Martinez insisted the problem was not serious – but the centre-back was subsequently sidelined for six weeks as City’s title bid faltered.
Former City boss Manuel Pellegrini warned the defender two years ago that he needed to learn to listen to his body after injuring himself playing in a Euro qualifier against Israel despite being told by club physios that he wasn’t fully fit.
And in 2013, Roberto Mancini blasted the ex-Belgium boss Marc Wilmots for picking Kompany to face Macedonia after he had just returned from a two-month absence.

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand appeared to suggest he has got away with challenges similar to that of Mane. (Twitter)

West Bromwich Albion and Leicester City keen on free agent Bacary Sagna
West Bromwich Albion and Leicester City are interested in free agent right back Bacary Sagna.
The 34 year-old was released by Manchester City at the end of last season and had been considered by Brighton, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton during the summer
Albion have also been giving a trial to former QPR midfielder Karl Henry, 34.
West Brom and Leicester both registered fewer than 25 players in their Premier League squads at the start of the month.
Therefore Sagna would be eligible to be registered before January were he to sign a contract with one of the sides this year.
Sagna started 14 Premier League games for Man City last season.
He also made three appearances as a sub.

WAG OF THE DAY
Spoiler: Show/Hide
Spoilbox

OTHER BOLLOX
Arsenal have agreed a deal in principle to sign Thomas Lemar from Monaco in January. The 21-year-old will sign a five-year deal worth £250,000 a week. (Daily Star Sunday)

Manchester United are prepared to rival the Gunners in the chase for Lemar. (Sunday Mirror)

Philippe Coutinho is hurt by Barcelona's lack of effort to complete his signing in the summer transfer window and the 25-year-old is now prepared to turn down a move to the Nou Camp from Liverpool. (Don Balon - in Spanish)

Atletico Madrid sent a delegation of officials to meet Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia on Saturday in order to finalise the signing of striker Diego Costa, 28. (Sunday Express)

Leicester City summer signing Adrien Silva, 28, is training with his brother as he is not allowed to train with his new club. The midfielder's move from Sporting Lisbon has been shrouded in controversy because paperwork missed Fifa's deadline. (Leicester Mercury)

Juventus will compete with Liverpool to sign Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk, 26, in January. (Sunday Mirror)

Inter Milan boss Luciano Spalletti has asked midfielder Ivan Perisic to take on more responsibility and has heaped praise on the 28-year-old following his decision to sign a new contract despite strong interest from Manchester United. (Goal)

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry believes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will need to "bring something to the table" if he is to be good enough to succeed at Liverpool following the 24-year-old midfielder's move during the transfer window. (Sky Sports - via Metro)

AC Milan made a bid to sign 24-year-old striker Andrea Belotti in the summer, Torino's director of football Gianluca Petrachi has confirmed. (Football 365)

The original Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill, has become a supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers. The Championship club asked the Star Wars actor if he was a fan after he began 'liking' a number of posts linked to the club. He tweeted: "When asked if I liked the "Wolves" I thought they meant the animal. But everyone got so excited-I HAD to be a fan-there's no turning back now!"

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he will not be appealing against Sadio Mane's red card from the 5-0 defeat, saying it would be "another waste of time, like the game". (Independent)

Marseille forward Dimitri Payet has described Slaven Bilic as a "father" figure to him while at West Ham, but said he had several reasons to leave. (So Foot - via Evening Standard)

Liverpool defender Alberto Moreno has expressed his delight at Philippe Coutinho staying at the club despite being the subject of bids from Barcelona during the transfer window. (Mundo Deportivo - via Four Four Two)

GOLDEN BOLLOX
On this Day - 2013
Yorkshire grit fuels England's unselfish, versatile workhorse Milner
James Milner is comfortable in the role of selfless workhorse and appeared utterly underwhelmed by the significance of his first international goal.
‘The most important thing is we went to a tough place to start the campaign and the result was great,’ said Milner when asked about his goal, the fourth in a 5-0 win in Moldova on Friday.
‘I’d like to add more goals to my game but, if I never score another for England and we won the World Cup and I was running around doing the not-glamorous things, I’d be delighted.’
This is the attitude which endears him to his manager and a major reason why he has appeared in all eight games since Roy Hodgson took control, starting seven.
He will toil on the wing without complaint, despite firmly believing central midfield remains his best position, and he will work back and cover Glen Johnson as the full back gallops forward.
Mention his Yorkshire roots, however, and a flicker of pride comes into the eyes of the Manchester City midfielder, born in Leeds and raised in nearby Horsforth.
‘We seem to have a lot of grit in us, a determination to succeed,’ said Milner. ‘Maybe it’s something they put in the water or the Yorkshire puddings. I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I’ve said it to the lads and anyone else who’ll listen that if Yorkshire we’re a country we’d be well up there in the [Olympic] medal table and I’m very proud of that.’
Milner was a good schoolboy cricketer, a batsman and wicketkeeper who played at county level with England fast bowler Tim Bresnan and Yorkshire opening batsman Joe Sayers.
‘I played a lot of cricket and did a bit of cross-country running,’ said Milner. ‘But it came to a point where football took over. If I’d got a yorker on my toe it wouldn’t have been ideal.’
He made his Premier League debut for Leeds aged 16, is close to 400 senior appearances at the age of 26 and is set to win his 33rd England cap against Ukraine on Tuesday.
The only surprise was it took so long for him to open his England account.
‘It wasn’t really bothering me,’ said Milner. ‘I’d done everything else — hit the side- netting, the inside of the post and keepers had pulled off good saves.
‘It is one of those things and, hopefully, now I’ve got that first one, there will be a few more.’
All the best teams need their water carriers and workhorses, and Milner is proud to be England’s. Just remember, it is Yorkshire water he carries, using Yorkshire horsepower.

Serbia defender Aleksandar Kolarov unimpressed by 'long-ball' Scotland
Serbian defender Aleksandar Kolarov has claimed his team are better than Scotland after the two sides drew at Hampden Park.
The goalless opening World Cup qualifier left many Scots fans unhappy with the performance of the national side.
And Manchester City full-back Kolarov was unimpressed by a Scotland side he described as a 'long-ball' team. "They played at home but I think we are a better team than them," he said.
Kolarov also thought the match against Scotland was ideal preparation for the Serbs hosting Wales in their next qualifier on Tuesday.
"I think all the squads from the island play in the same way, with the long ball.
"We had this game and the last friendly game against Ireland, so we are used to playing against a team like this."
The 26-year-old also said that he was unsurprised at the way Scotland played.
"We know how they play, with long balls. They are good on the second balls and from set-pieces," he said.
"We made some mistakes and they could have scored but 0-0 in the end was okay for both sides."
Serbian captain Branislav Ivanovic agreed that the draw was a fair result for both sides.
"I think Scotland can beat us and also we can beat Scotland so a draw is okay for both teams for a start," said the Chelsea defender.
"They had some opportunities from our mistakes. We had two or three opportunities and the draw was correct.
"Both teams had good chances to win the game but I thought it was a fair result and we can be happy with a draw in one of the hardest away games for us."
Meanwhile, Scotland striker Jordan Rhodes has revealed his excitement at making his competitive international debut has compensated for the disappointment of failing to beat Serbia.
New Blackburn signing Rhodes came on as a substitute with 10 minutes to go as Scotland shifted to a 4-4-2 formation.
"It was fantastic just to go out there," said Rhodes.
"It was a dream come true to go out there and step out in front of those fans at a World Cup campaign. It was very exciting and it doesn't get much more exciting than that."

Man City new boy snubbed Chelsea switch
The defender swapped Inter Milan for the Premier League champions on transfer deadline day but Roberto Calenda insists his client ruled out moves to the Blues as well as Spanish champions Real Madrid and French big-spenders Paris St Germain.
“He chose Manchester City after rather a long evaluation process,” the agent told Sky Sport Italia.
“All the top clubs who needed someone in that role came looking for Maicon, from Real Madrid via Jose Mourinho to PSG, Chelsea and others.
“Maicon made his decision when Roberto Mancini called, as he had started his Inter adventure with this coach seven years ago.
“There were times during the season when he thought about staying, as he is very tied to the club colours, but after seven years together it was only right that this story should come to an end.
“I’d like to point out that at no point did Maicon demand to be sold, even when there were important proposals in the past. Unlike others, he never put his foot down or made life difficult. He played every Inter game with the utmost determination.”

Barry on the road to recovery as City target Arsenal clash for midfielder's comeback
Gareth Barry is close to a return from the injury that kept him out of England's Euro 2012 campaign and has seen him miss the whole of pre-season with Manchester City.
The midfielder underwent a double hernia operation at the start of the summer but has been back training with the City first-team for two weeks now and has featured in two recent matches for the club's Elite Development Squad.
It is thought that this week's trip to Stoke and next week's Champions League opener against Real Madrid will come too soon for the 32-year-old, but he should be back involved for the visit of Arsenal in a fortnight's time.
‘I’ve had two outings with the Elite Development Squad now – 45 minutes against Middlesbrough and 80 against Liverpool and I felt a lot better in the second game so things are progressing nicely,’ Barry told Man City's official website.
‘I had a double hernia operation which meant an initial four weeks out, but then I tore a muscle in rehab which set me back a little bit, but I don’t think I’m too far off now - touch wood! I’m just taking things one day at a time but I’m feeling quite strong again which is really good.’
Barry revealed that he had a setback in his recovery during the summer, and as such he is reluctant to set an exact return date himself.
‘The medical team and sports therapists will have a discussion, though I’m not asking too many questions,’ he said.
‘I had a comeback date prior to the muscle tear, but things don’t always go to plan.
‘This is the longest period of my career that I’ve been sidelined with injury and the comeback game against Middlesbrough was my first match for three-and-a-half months.
‘Being out so long does give you time to think about things and it makes me realise how lucky I’ve been in terms of injuries and the amount of games I’ve played throughout my career.
‘I’ve been training with the first team for a fortnight now and getting back into the swing of things again.
‘I’m not a good spectator and I don’t enjoy watching the games – I’d much rather be out there playing so I’m obviously really looking forward to getting my season off and running again.’

Battle of the Sites: Manchester United vs. Manchester City
The fact the article can't put the sides in alphabetical order should give you a clue how this one will pan out ...

Following last season’s heated derbies between Manchester United and Manchester City, QuBit, the consumer data platform, has revealed the results of its comparison into both teams’ online stores.
The analysis was conducted using QuBit's ‘Outside-In’ framework which covers key aspects of website performance, and focuses on the Find, Use and Buy stages of the consumer journey. Each criteria is scored and summed to give a final percentage result.

Kick Off: Find
Manchester United: Sliding dynamic promotions and seasonal offers made United’s landing page engaging and dynamic. ‘Back to School’ and ‘Premier League Kick Off’ campaigns gave the website an up-to-date and ‘in-time’ look and it used clear Calls To Action (CTAs) to drive attention. However the positioning of the login section has made it hard to spot, losing United some points in the early exchanges of this battle.
Manchester City: The City landing page greeted the user with a live feed of offers and promotional material, much like its competitor, however City’s login section is better displayed. Drop down menus within wide containers aid navigation of the site and ‘Breadcrumbs’, a technique that allows users to track their location within the site, is also successfully implemented. However, there is a failure to create effective and obvious CTAs, causing City to fall behind.

Round results: United: 76 % vs. City: 73 %

Half Time: Choose
Manchester United: United succeeds with its 360° view option for boots and kits, allowing the user to view the product from all angles. The product descriptions are very good, including everything from fabric type and technology to the history of the product. Unfortunately, a few search words return irrelevant results and there is no user reviews section.
Manchester City: City’s search function provides relevant results and accepts a number of search term combinations and the site provide an extensive filter that allows the user to sort the results by price, colour, gender, player, brand or even sleeve length. Furthermore, best practice use of top sellers and recommended items are clearly displayed. The site lacks some features like not having a zoom option across the whole product range and leaving out important information in some product descriptions (e.g. fabric type).

Round results: United: 90 % vs. City: 82 %

Extra Time: Buy
Manchester United: The summary page showed adherence to established best practice, with a well formatted overview and prices that are easy to understand. In the subtotal, no additional services were automatically added in the chart and the registration process required only the relevant information, making it quick and user friendly. All stages of the checkout were clearly labelled with a third party security seal and the user always knew which stage of the process they were on.
Manchester City: The City summary page benefits from a well formatted and understandable overview of the chart. The total price is laid out in a logical manner and the registration process is very smooth. The registration also offers a “Find Address” function, making it quick to fill in the fields. City also provided security seals as part of the checkout. However, they failed to provide the seal though all stages of the checkout process, thus causing them to lose some marks in the final round.

Round results: United: 85 % vs. City: 79 %

Final Score
United: 84 % vs. City: 78 %

Last edited by Chinners on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Sunday's B*ll*x

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:36 am

Silva sale all agreed???

Cannot see that being remotely true
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Chinners » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:44 am

nottsblue wrote:Silva sale all agreed???

The clue is in the thread title ;) .... I generally think that 60-70% of the stuff every day is Bollox but that story stood out like a MASSIVE sore thumb .... even more so as the only article I could find on it. I think I might resurrect my own weekly made up Bollox story like a few years ago.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 am

Chinners wrote:

The clue is in the thread title ;) .... I generally think that 60-70% of the stuff every day is Bollox but that story stood out like a MASSIVE sore thumb .... even more so as the only article I could find on it. I think I might resurrect my own weekly made up Bollox story like a few years ago.

That's what struck me. Never heard it mentioned before that. And even though the vast majority of paper talk is the proverbial bollox, at least it is sometimes plausible bollox that you wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

But Silva to Turkey? Pep and Txiki would need to be insane to allow that to happen
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Justified logic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 am

You could put a Massive Bollox section in the daily stuff.

Also, for the really bitter and sour grapes stuff, a Sore Bollox section. :mrgreen:
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:36 am

Kolarov :)
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dameerto » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:01 am

Mase wrote:Kolarov :)

Who needs him when we've got Mendy?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 am

nottsblue wrote:
Chinners wrote:

That's what struck me. Never heard it mentioned before that. And even though the vast majority of paper talk is the proverbial bollox, at least it is sometimes plausible bollox that you wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

But Silva to Turkey? Pep and Txiki would need to be insane to allow that to happen

I read the original article on Silva and the supposed photo of him in Turkey was amazing as he had grown all his hair back overnight.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 am

nottsblue wrote:
Chinners wrote:

Never in a million years would that happen. Silva is only going to one place after City and that's home to Spain
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 pm

I've heard he's on the verge of signing a contract extension. I know which I think the more likelier to be true.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dick dastardley » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Typical klopp statement, hated in Germany by other clubs fans and heading that way over here
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum