Bendy On The Mendy?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:Stats. What defenders have they been against? As you say, if he's coming on 20 mins from the end then the defenders will be "tired".

I just wonder why he can't get in the first team of a team that's just been promoted?


I'd suggest the reason he can't get in is because he's not a team player, he tries to do it all himself too much, he needs that coaching out of him. I'd also suggest his lack of end product works against him.

Stats suit the argument when it comes to Sterling mate so why not when it comes to Traore?

Stats do whatever your agenda wants them to do. How long is it since Sterling scored for England?
A long time......he must be shite.


Go and have a look at at a few videos of him then, you can see what he does regardless of the oppo, he ties them up in knots with his close control and bursts by them with pace and then usually fucks up his final ball. What you see will be consistent with the stats.

I accept stats can be used to suit an argument, that's not the point, the point was Mase is happy for Sterling's stats to be used to champion him yet he'll dismiss Traore's stats.

Stats don’t tell the full story of s game.
Without joining the argument over Bendy, I just think your first sentence has more logic than any stats.
Stats are a good way to back up a point but TBH I get sick of people on here bombarding us with a whole load of nonsensical stats that are supposed to mean something when they mean sod all.

Believe your eyes and what your own brain has processed. There is much more going on in a Football match than a whole load of individual stats, although sports scientists would have us believe otherwise.


I use stats to back up opinions just like I have done here.

And as for sports scientists, there's a good reason football clubs employ statisticians/data analysts.
Foreverinbluedreams
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

Look Mase, I can see Mendy's flaws defensively, I can see he still has a lot to learn in terms of positioning/decision making but I dispute that he's a shit defender, he wouldn't have made it to this level of the game playing at fullback if he was shit at defending.
Foreverinbluedreams
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Look Mase, I can see Mendy's flaws defensively, I can see he still has a lot to learn in terms of positioning/decision making but I dispute that he's a shit defender, he wouldn't have made it to this level of the game playing at fullback if he was shit at defending.


Fair enough. I've honestly not seen anything to suggest he's anything but shit at defending. We'll see.
Mase
Allison's Big Fat Cigar
 
Posts: 18586
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
I use stats to back up opinions just like I have done here.

And as for sports scientists, there's a good reason football clubs employ statisticians/data analysts.


You do FIBD and I admire your research.
Some statistics are simple enough and the 'cause and effect' or 'action and consequence' are clear for anyone to see.

I just think as Nidge alluded to, an awful lot of the stats thrown out nowadays are pretty meaningless in isolation.
They don't take into account the full story of a game or circumstances around the stat.
You need a pair of eyes and a brain to process what is really going on. We all have opinions.
I think common sense or sporting/football knowledge are as trustworthy a tool for coming to your own personal conclusions as
some of the stats I've seen over the years on here. Nice embellishments to an argument, but not necessarily proof of anything.
Image
iwasthere2012
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8813
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:Stats. What defenders have they been against? As you say, if he's coming on 20 mins from the end then the defenders will be "tired".

I just wonder why he can't get in the first team of a team that's just been promoted?


what is a ‘successful dribble’?
some of these stats are a crock of shit


It's when you take a man on and beat him, it's not that difficult a concept to grasp.


are you 100% sure about that?
what happens if you beat a man but then shank the ball into touch - is that a successful dribble???
SOLID POSTER
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12912
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:Stats. What defenders have they been against? As you say, if he's coming on 20 mins from the end then the defenders will be "tired".

I just wonder why he can't get in the first team of a team that's just been promoted?


what is a ‘successful dribble’?
some of these stats are a crock of shit


It's when you take a man on and beat him, it's not that difficult a concept to grasp.


are you 100% sure about that?
what happens if you beat a man but then shank the ball into touch - is that a successful dribble???


100%

Yes that's a succesful dribble.

The shank into touch is what Adama is quite often guilty of, that or playing the ball blind across the box instead of actually get his head up and picking out a target, and the stats will show that too.
Foreverinbluedreams
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am

It doesn't matter whether Mendy can defend or not if he spends most of his time on the treatment table. He's still injured and Delph ain't back for a while either.
South Stand Balti
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

South Stand Balti wrote:It doesn't matter whether Mendy can defend or not if he spends most of his time on the treatment table. He's still injured and Delph ain't back for a while either.


Which is a shame because if Liverpool lock down Sane like they did the last time we played at Anfield then it would be good to have the option of providing width from deeper, something that Mendy provides that neither Zinchenko or Delph do.
Foreverinbluedreams
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Outcast » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 am

I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.
Outcast
Robinho's Step Over
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:It doesn't matter whether Mendy can defend or not if he spends most of his time on the treatment table. He's still injured and Delph ain't back for a while either.


Which is a shame because if Liverpool lock down Sane like they did the last time we played at Anfield then it would be good to have the option of providing width from deeper, something that Mendy provides that neither Zinchenko or Delph do.

I really can't see Mendy playing against the dippers. He isn't back in training yet so I'm expecting Danilo to play there. Zinchenko is great when we have possession but his lack of pace would get exposed against the dippers. I like Danilo a lot more than most do but he isn't ideal at left back. We really should have got a left back in because Mendy is injured continually and so is Delph.
South Stand Balti
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Outcast wrote:I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.

Why?
Image
iwasthere2012
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8813
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

I think Mendy will play at the weekend.
We have a tendency to over state injury recovery time.
Look at Kevin we were told he was to be out for 4-5 months.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6110
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Outcast wrote:I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.


Definitely win?
Finding it quite hard to be that confidant, irrespective of who plays at left back.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6110
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Outcast » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Outcast wrote:I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.

Why?


Unpredictable, don't think Arnold can handle him.
Outcast
Robinho's Step Over
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:Stats. What defenders have they been against? As you say, if he's coming on 20 mins from the end then the defenders will be "tired".

I just wonder why he can't get in the first team of a team that's just been promoted?


what is a ‘successful dribble’?
some of these stats are a crock of shit


It's when you take a man on and beat him, it's not that difficult a concept to grasp.


are you 100% sure about that?
what happens if you beat a man but then shank the ball into touch - is that a successful dribble???


100%

Yes that's a succesful dribble.

The shank into touch is what Adama is quite often guilty of, that or playing the ball blind across the box instead of actually get his head up and picking out a target, and the stats will show that too.[/quote]

so, the dribble stat in isolation is a complete crock of shit?
SOLID POSTER
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12912
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:13 pm

No, it shows how good/bad someone is at dribbling, I used that stat to illustrate that Traore gives fullbacks the run-around with his dribbling, which he did a bit to Mendy when he came on.

In the context of the debate it is relevant, in a wider context it's one characteristic of his game where he excels, other characteristics aren't as good, namely his delivery, you can see it with your own eyes if you watch him play and the numbers back that up too.
Foreverinbluedreams
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:44 pm

What's up with Delph?
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm

johnny crossan wrote:What's up with Delph?


Nothing mate, he just talks like that because he's from Yorkshire.
Mase
Allison's Big Fat Cigar
 
Posts: 18586
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby Outcast » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm

sheblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.


Definitely win?
Finding it quite hard to be that confidant, irrespective of who plays at left back.


Confident because these twats think they'll hammers us like last season, they're not underdogs anymore, they'll be over condident to turn us over and the media will fathom over their chances, they played out of their skin and we didn't turn up last season. Then again, I could be wrong.
Outcast
Robinho's Step Over
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Bendy On The Mendy?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Outcast wrote:
sheblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:I have a feeling if he plays against the dippers we'll definitely win, don't ask me why, just a hunch, I know under the current circumstances makes no sense. Either way, something tells me we're getting a result, they will be the favourites and under pressure to deliver.


Definitely win?
Finding it quite hard to be that confidant, irrespective of who plays at left back.


Confident because these twats think they'll hammers us like last season, they're not underdogs anymore, they'll be over condident to turn us over and the media will fathom over their chances, they played out of their skin and we didn't turn up last season. Then again, I could be wrong.


We only lost to these cunts of a 10 minute brain fart and we got fucked over by the ref in the CL game........it wont happen again.

We will beat the cunts this time.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Roberto Mancini's Scarf
 
Posts: 21496
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Location: Paradise
Supporter of: Man City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bluemoon4610, Google [Bot], lonestay, ruralblue, salford city, The Maine Man and 49 guests