***city v napoli official cl match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v napoli official cl match thread***

Postby blues2win » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 pm

One or two looked tired. I’d freshen things up on Saturday. Walker played well but Sterling left him exposed second half until Insigne went off which helped us. First penalty harsh, second was clear cut. Fernandinho made a tired tackle which was quite unnecessary; Walker was covering. For me bring on Bernardo Gundogan and Aguero on Saturday, maybe even Yaya. Silva Fernandinho and Sterling could perhaps have a spell on the bench. No disgrace that’s what the squads for.

Napoli are a damn good side and I’m delighted with the three points but they could have nicked a draw which would have been more than a shame after two excellent goals, de Bruyne hitting the bar and a goal line clearance in the first 30 minutes.

Onto Burnley.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Bit nervy watching that second half but they really didn't create much against us apart from making us make mistakes a few times which gave then 2 pens and the Stones block. Had our finishing been as good as in other recent games we would have been out of sight.

Sane did struggle tonight and I expect him to be rested on Saturday. Maybe Silva to get a rest as well. Some of our play from the back was exceptional even if we get worried watching it. Amazing to see a keeper with such good feet and composure. Ederson is the real deal.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Team looked knackered. Changes on Saturday please. I'd like to see Silva for Silva. Excellent result and first half.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 am

I'd like to see aguero back in and maybe Bernardo Silva and denilo. Other than that keep it close to what it's been.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby phips » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 am

after the first 30 minutes i was thinking that this was the best performance of the season. but considering how much Napoli dominated the second half i had to retract my thinking.

lucky to get 3 points. huge clearances from Fernandinho and Stones.
some of that playing out of the back is gonna screw us over at some point
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby stevefromdonny » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 am

phips wrote:after the first 30 minutes i was thinking that this was the best performance of the season. but considering how much Napoli dominated the second half i had to retract my thinking.

shush people don't like you saying that.
but it was a good game and Napoli had a go, 1 pt needed to go throu
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 am

stevefromdonny wrote:
phips wrote:after the first 30 minutes i was thinking that this was the best performance of the season. but considering how much Napoli dominated the second half i had to retract my thinking.

shush people don't like you saying that.
but it was a good game and Napoli had a go, 1 pt needed to go throu

Of course it will screw us over at some point, it's inevitable.

However it's the reason we create so maybe chances as when it's done properly it leaves our opponents chasing shadows, creating 2 v 1s higher up the pitch because they've pulled out out of shape.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:56 am

Sanè was awful so he'll most likely drop Sterling for Burnley.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby The Maine Man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 am

I'm not surprised we weren't at our best for long. Sane, Sterling, Dave and Kev must be fucked. People always say for that money footballers should be able to play several times a week but they're still human. I just hope Pep rotates them all well before we burn out from the intensity.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby PeterParker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 am

Still, Napoli are no muggers. Until last night they conceided only 5 goals. Italy”s number one team so far this season.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 am

The Maine Man wrote:I'm not surprised we weren't at our best for long. Sane, Sterling, Dave and Kev must be fucked. People always say for that money footballers should be able to play several times a week but they're still human. I just hope Pep rotates them all well before we burn out from the intensity.

With much better football, but Last might reminded me a little of what I used criticise Liverpool about.
We blitzed them for 30 minutes but should have been well out of sight. We only had two goals to show for our efforts.

We definitely ran out of steam. The out ball from defense to midfield wasn’t there late on, because the movement wasn’t there.
The defense were still playing it out but there was nowhere to release it to.

We need to keep all the front six players fresh, because they are expected to do a tremendous amount of work.

It’s also why we need two excellent FBs for each side of the pitch.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
The Maine Man wrote:I'm not surprised we weren't at our best for long. Sane, Sterling, Dave and Kev must be fucked. People always say for that money footballers should be able to play several times a week but they're still human. I just hope Pep rotates them all well before we burn out from the intensity.

With much better football, but Last might reminded me a little of what I used criticise Liverpool about.
We blitzed them for 30 minutes but should have been well out of sight. We only had two goals to show for our efforts.

We definitely ran out of steam. The out ball from defense to midfield wasn’t there late on, because the movement wasn’t there.
The defense were still playing it out but there was nowhere to release it to.

We need to keep all the front six players fresh, because they are expected to do a tremendous amount of work.

It’s also why we need two excellent FBs for each side of the pitch.

I think the yellow cards to Walker and DeBruyne played their part as we couldn't press them as effectively. Fatigue definitely set in second half too.

Good to see pragmatic Pep bringing his striker off for his utility man to see it out.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:A win is a win, but the lack of concentration and composure in the second half showed that we are not quite at that elite level we are trying to achieve.

A lot of players making poor decisions and losing composure and technique as they went along.

Thought Silva made more errors of judgement in one game than I seen from him ever. He just wouldn’t release the ball.

Sane? Well enough said. Showed terrible technique all game and yet you’d back him to skin a tired defender at the end of a game and score.

Fernandinho and Stones were very good I thought and are becoming real leaders.

Jesus became static as the game went on second half and at times got in the way of a player better positioned.

Bernardo Silva was very good and should have been introduced earlier. Similar with Gundogan but I’d have left Sterling on as he was better than Sane IMO.

That’s my tuppence worth.
Very happy with the win but I hope we learn from that. Pep included.
His report card says ‘could do better’

Oh! the first 30 minutes was as good as it gets and Ederson is the buy of the season as far as I’m concerned. He’s a God.

This is exactly as I saw it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby CrownPointBlue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 am

Catches win matches.....goals win games.

We could / should have been 3/4 up after 40 minutes then we could've slowed the game down to practice match pace & made our subs earlier.

It's no wonder we looked tired,the work rate,mentality & intensity of this team is phenomenal & it's understandable that it became a little ragged & disjointed. Additionally,Naples are a fine,fit young team. Credit to them for staying in the game at 2-0.

The next 3 games offer the chance for some rotation & well deserved rest for Dino,Jesus,Leroy & David & some valuable match time for Baby Silva,Gundo,Danilo,Yaya,Mango,Kun & hopefully Vincent.

Keep calm & carry on.
CrownPointBlue
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:A win is a win, but the lack of concentration and composure in the second half showed that we are not quite at that elite level we are trying to achieve.

A lot of players making poor decisions and losing composure and technique as they went along.

Thought Silva made more errors of judgement in one game than I seen from him ever. He just wouldn’t release the ball.

Sane? Well enough said. Showed terrible technique all game and yet you’d back him to skin a tired defender at the end of a game and score.

Fernandinho and Stones were very good I thought and are becoming real leaders.

Jesus became static as the game went on second half and at times got in the way of a player better positioned.

Bernardo Silva was very good and should have been introduced earlier. Similar with Gundogan but I’d have left Sterling on as he was better than Sane IMO.

That’s my tuppence worth.
Very happy with the win but I hope we learn from that. Pep included.
His report card says ‘could do better’

Oh! the first 30 minutes was as good as it gets and Ederson is the buy of the season as far as I’m concerned. He’s a God.

This is exactly as I saw it.

Agree with most of it, thought Sane was a mixed bag, he wasn't all bad. His control let him down, same with Silva, unusual for both but he was a constant threat, great pass on the first goal.

One bit in particular IWT that I take issue with is your suggestion that he didn't skin a tired defender, he wasn't up against a tired defender at the end, Maggio only came on for the last 20 to help contain Sane, he still managed to get by him twice, hauled down the first time for which Maggio got a yellow and Reina did remarkably well the second time to close down his shot.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am

Thought we looked top notch as others have stated. Devastating first 30 minutes but we couldn't keep that tempo up, it was a ridiculous pace and intensity. The decision making whilst attacking was poor on a lot of occasions last night. Jesus made some excellent runs but was not fed, we hold onto the ball far too long at times when a pass was on. Dave was a culprit, which was very unusual.

On a massive plus side, if the rumour is true and we will be in for Faouzi Ghoulam in January for £3m I will be very happy. Thought he was excellent last night and our play will have him wanting to be part of it (I hope).
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am

Quite a bit of negativity on here but I guess no surprise there. Good side Napoli and when we were at our best we blew them away, when we dropped from that they looked more than decent but we still held them off reasonably well.

Yes one or two not at their best through the game but everyone can't play their best all the time. I have no doubt Pep will make some changes in the next few games and it will be interesting to see just how he sees it. Maybe back to Kun and Jesus up top if he doesnt decide to rest Jesus.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am

Mase wrote:Sanè was awful so he'll most likely drop Sterling for Burnley.

nah... bravo is up next... :twisted:

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Quite a bit of negativity on here but I guess no surprise there. Good side Napoli and when we were at our best we blew them away, when we dropped from that they looked more than decent but we still held them off reasonably well.

Yes one or two not at their best through the game but everyone can't play their best all the time. I have no doubt Pep will make some changes in the next few games and it will be interesting to see just how he sees it. Maybe back to Kun and Jesus up top if he doesnt decide to rest Jesus.

Watching Dave's decision making resembling more that of Jordan dumb Henderson, I found myself wondering whether the only possible setback of Pep's tactical high focus demand, may result in mind fatigue sooner than legs'.
not complaining in the slightest, of course!
just sharing the opinion that a sensible rotation at any role, no matter what seniority, appears pretty much needed, if Pep is gonna keep up this level of unreal quality steady throughout the whole season.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby dazby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am

Hey there gang. I didn't watch the game but I'm keen to read your assessments of Napoli. Good side?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum