League Cup quarter-final draw

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: League Cup quarter-final draw

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:59 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:It's not really about the NT, as you put it, but it's definitely about the fatigue. In order to beat a PL, never mind one of Leicester's status, you have to use the majority of your best players as they run you ragged, so have to control the game. Whereas, playing a team like Bristol allows you to play a second string, somewhat, saving your 1st teams legs for bigger games. Add to that the 2 legged semi in January, why would a club who is fighting for the top spots put out a team that could diminish their whole of season form?

For me, this is the time to say that we will give up the cup in favour of bigger fish. It's not a big deal as we've done it for the last few years in the cup games, when we seem to get big games or unrealistic fixture dates that could hinder us elsewhere.

Two legged semi Beefy? I thought it was a single game at Wembley.

Thought that was the FA Cup, but could be mistaken, in my middle age ;-)

Oh, you cock, I thought I'd lost it then!!!

Seems the opposite is true ;-)

Love ya man x
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm

I think I might boooo when, if ever, we get a home tie in this or the FA Cup. The draw is a joke. Boooooo!
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I think I might boooo when, if ever, we get a home tie in this or the FA Cup. The draw is a joke. Boooooo!

How many more years do you think it will be before we get a home draw SSB ??

We should already be ensconced unassailably in the record books, were such matters ever to be recorded.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Justified logic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:I think I might boooo when, if ever, we get a home tie in this or the FA Cup. The draw is a joke. Boooooo!

We should already be ensconced unassailably in the record books, were such matters ever to be recorded.

Shocking! Two days and counting the hours already.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Well, 12 out of the last 13 domestic cup draws have been away from home. 11 against Prem teams. My main concern is the big 4 being kept apart. From memory I think there were 8 prem teams left in the last 16 of the FA cup last year and they were all kept apart. Stinks
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby sheblue » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 am

Just watched that draw. FFS chringey or what. Pathetic stuff from a bunch of idiotic goons.
Stupid draw, stupid competition made even worse by the nonsense surrounding it this year. I hope we field the EDS team against Leicester. And leave this bollocks for the amateurs.
It's an embarrassment.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 am

South Stand Balti wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Well, 12 out of the last 13 domestic cup draws have been away from home. 11 against Prem teams. My main concern is the big 4 being kept apart. From memory I think there were 8 prem teams left in the last 16 of the FA cup last year and they were all kept apart. Stinks

Just looking at this worry about our away draws now. From 2010-11 to 2013-14, we were drawn at home for 15 of our 17 FA Cup games, including a run of 8 in a row from the 2010-11 3rd round to the 2012-13 3rd round. Still got to check the LC, but it seems as if, in spite of the recent run of away draws, we've had more home than away since the takeover.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:34 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Just looking at this worry about our away draws now. From 2010-11 to 2013-14, we were drawn at home for 15 of our 17 FA Cup games, including a run of 8 in a row from the 2010-11 3rd round to the 2012-13 3rd round. Still got to check the LC, but it seems as if, in spite of the recent run of away draws, we've had more home than away since the takeover.

League Cup is 11 at home and 11 away since the takeover. ( not including semi finals)
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Right, here it is. In the 10 seasons since the takeover, our draws have been like this (includes semis and finals where we were drawn either at home or away in the FA Cup, but not League Cup Semis or Final - one home, one away):

FA Cup: HAAHHHHHHHHAHHAHHHHHHAAAAAAAA(H) = 18 Home games (19 if you include last season's final, where we were drawn as the home team before going out), 12 Away games. Includes a run of 8 home games, a run of 7 home games, and a run of 8 away games.

League Cup: AAHHHAHAAHHAAHHAHHAAAHA = 11 Home games, 12 Away. Longest consecutive runs = 3, both home and away.

Since the takeover, we've been drawn at home 54.7% of the time (or 55.4% if you include the 2 League Cup finals and unplayed FA Cup final from last season).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

League Cup games since 1 September 2008

Excluding semis and finals, City have been drawn at home 11 times and away 12, including the upcoming Leicester game.
Justified logic

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am

It's a fix, there's no doubt in my mind.

4 biggest clubs all left avoid each other

Two of them get home draws

The third gets an away against the lowest ranked team left in the comp ( a home draw for the rags would've been too obvious)

And the fourth is drawn away against the PL champions from two years back. I figure they don't mind who goes through in our tie as Leicester's profile is so high in Asia, owing to their league win, that will make up for us not being in the semis with the other three high profile clubs
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:07 am

What strikes me about that listing of teams we've played in the LC is how few are outside the PL and the top half of the Championship. Only Scunthorpe, who finished in the lower reaches of the Championship that season, stands out as outside that profile.
Justified logic

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:It's a fix, there's no doubt in my mind.

4 biggest clubs all left avoid each other

Two of them get home draws

The third gets an away against the lowest ranked team left in the comp ( a home draw for the rags would've been too obvious)

And the fourth is drawn away against the PL champions from two years back. I figure they don't mind who goes through in our tie as Leicester's profile is so high in Asia, owing to their league win, that will make up for us not being in the semis with the other three high profile clubs

I've got to say, but the chaos and controversies surrounding every round of the draw raise my eyebrows, too. However, Leicester's profile isn't really that big in Asia, only in Thailand, which isn't seen as a major footballing market. In fact, I'd say Leicester are less marketable than West Ham, and, while there may have been some fixing to keep the 4 biggest teams apart, I don't think that there was any conspiracy to give us the 'hardest' draw, nor are we thought of as the 'most disposable' of the 4 biggest clubs in terms of marketability of the competition.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 am

Manchester United League Cup games since 1 September 2008

Excluding semis and finals, United have been drawn at home 15 times and away 11, including the upcoming Bristol City game.
Justified logic

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 am

Justified logic wrote:What strikes me about that listing of teams we've played in the LC is how few are outside the PL and the top half of the Championship. Only Scunthorpe, who finished in the lower reaches of the Championship that season, stands out as outside that profile.

If we're entering in the Third Round, though, the number of teams from the lower levels of the league is minimal (normally only 2 or 3 from League One and League Two combined), so it's actually highly unlikely that we'll be drawn against one of them. When we played against Sheffield Wednesday, I'm sure they were at the bottom (or very close to it) of the Championship (admittedly, it was only about 7 or 8 games into the season, though).

We faced Brighton (and lost) when they were in League One and we entered the Second Round in 2008-09. They finished 16th in League One that year.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Justified logic wrote:What strikes me about that listing of teams we've played in the LC is how few are outside the PL and the top half of the Championship. Only Scunthorpe, who finished in the lower reaches of the Championship that season, stands out as outside that profile.

If we're entering in the Third Round, though, the number of teams from the lower levels of the league is minimal (normally only 2 or 3 from League One and League Two combined), so it's actually highly unlikely that we'll be drawn against one of them - about half as likely as being drawn against another of the 'Big 6'. When we played against Sheffield Wednesday, I'm sure they were at the bottom (or very close to it) of the Championship (admittedly, it was only about 7 or 8 games into the season, though).

We faced Brighton (and lost) when they were in League One and we entered the Second Round in 2008-09. They finished 16th in League One that year.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby City64 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 am

I'm on holiday in sunny Cyprus and general opinion here is the draw was bent as fuck . How the fuck can you do a quarter final draw via fucking twitter ???

Anyways 78 temp here , beer bang on .......... sorry lads ! :-D :-D
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

If we're entering in the Third Round, though, the number of teams from the lower levels of the league is minimal (normally only 2 or 3 from League One and League Two combined), so it's actually highly unlikely that we'll be drawn against one of them - about half as likely as being drawn against another of the 'Big 6'. When we played against Sheffield Wednesday, I'm sure they were at the bottom (or very close to it) of the Championship (admittedly, it was only about 7 or 8 games into the season, though).

Fair points.

A listing for the FA Cup would be interesting but I can't do that in the same style until the 3rd round draw has taken place.
Justified logic

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 am

Justified logic wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Fair points.

A listing for the FA Cup would be interesting but I can't do that in the same style until the 3rd round draw has taken place.

This is what I wrote about last year's FA Cup 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Rounds:

There's a 30% chance of us being drawn against another Prem team in the 3rd round each year.
This year, there was a 39% chance of us being drawn against a Prem team in the 4th round (didn't happen).
This year, there was a 47% chance of us being drawn against a Prem team in the 5th round.
This year, there was a 71% chance of us being drawn against a Prem team in the 6th round.

Overall, there was a 4% chance of us being drawn against a Prem team in each round. That didn't happen. Even if it did, it wouldn't be particularly unusual.

There was also a 0.3% chance of us being drawn away to a Prem team in each round. That's also not particularly unbelievable odds, even if it had have happened.

As for being drawn away 7 times in a row - it's also not overly unlikely. There are (about to be) 5 of us in my household, each with a 2 in their day of birth (2nd, 23rd, 28th, etc.). That's twice as unlikely to happen as us being drawn away 7 times in a row, even though it's not an unbelievable occurrence in and of itself.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby london blue 2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am

City64 wrote:I'm on holiday in sunny Cyprus and general opinion here is the draw was bent as fuck . How the fuck can you do a quarter final draw via fucking twitter ???

Anyways 78 temp here , beer bang on .......... sorry lads ! :-D :-D

Enjoy. Have a few for us.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum